Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Cakefool posted:

Ace, looks like I'll be on the phone to them at lunch then. Preordered 8gb on the 29th, no news.

http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2667319

quote:

An update on Nexus 7 pre-order shipping status

We’ve had incredible demand for our new Nexus 7 tablet and are shipping them as quickly as possible. When your device ships you will receive a notification from Google Play with a shipping tracking number. We will have all orders placed through July 13 processed and shipped soon. Orders placed after July 13 will ship according to the quoted timeframe when you purchased and we will update you with a tracking number when we've shipped. Thanks for your patience.

Below are more specific details by country for devices ordered through July 13. If the below information is not true for you, and you ordered on or before July 13, please reach out to our support team so we can investigate.

In the US:

Orders placed through July 11

On July 20 (PDT), we shipped all Nexus 7 orders placed through July 11 (PDT), and upgraded these orders to overnight shipping.

Orders placed after July 11

We will process the remaining standalone Nexus 7 16GB orders (those ordered after July 11 and through July 13) by the end of this week with overnight shipping. Orders placed after July 13 (PDT) will ship accordingly to the quoted timeframe when you purchased.

* If you ordered your tablet with a case or Nexus Q, your Nexus 7 will ship alone according to the above timeframes, and the rest of your order will ship when available.

In Canada:

We’ve shipped all Nexus 7 8GB orders. We are in the process of shipping Nexus 7 16GB orders and will ship them this week.

In the UK:

All Nexus 7 16GB orders placed through June 30 (BST) have shipped. The remaining Nexus 7 16GB orders will ship this week.

In Australia:

All Nexus 7 8GB and Nexus 7 16GB orders placed through July 13 have shipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Yeah I got mine in the afternoon on the 18th and no screen lifting or dead spots.
Though it doesn't like greasy fingers.

A friend of mine grabbed it and started messing about right after putting hair wax on then declared it was broken because it wouldn't respond. Got pretty pissed off as there were visible globs of wax on the screen but a quick clean with screen wipes and it was working fine again.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Cheap Trick posted:

After all this waiting since I placed my pre-order on the 28th June, and not receiving a shipping tracking number, I received this in my inbox:

Despite the fact that I entered a street address, to which I've had dozens of courier deliveries prior. Google, you dumb fuckers.

Ring them up and complain.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Xoom Wifi Jelly Bean update is rolling out to soak testers right now.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Thanks, I couldn't find anything like that when I googled, though it doesn't mention the UK 8gb purchases. I did place my order on the 30th as well.

Edit: definitely the 30th, not the 29th as I said previously.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Interesting, looks like you don't *have* to have a 16GB nexus. If you root and get an OTG cable (amazon link: here) you can basically plug a thumb drive into your tablet, or a keyboard or mouse or whatever. problem solved for $1.13. Probably worth mentioning, wish I knew about this before.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Interesting, looks like you don't *have* to have a 16GB nexus. If you root and get an OTG cable (amazon link: here) you can basically plug a thumb drive into your tablet, or a keyboard or mouse or whatever. problem solved for $1.13. Probably worth mentioning, wish I knew about this before.

Its still a 16gb nexus.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Seems like a pain in the rear end generally. Probably okay for flights and stuff (which is really when I'd need more storage anyway).

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

notwithoutmyanus posted:

That's badass ... as mentioned, useful for flights, but I could also see using it for playing music over my Jambox when I can't stream from my home server over wifi.

(http://www.subsonic.org ... love this for streaming my music to anywhere/thing)

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

Its still a 16gb nexus.

And with this? It's a 8GB or 16GB nexus + a shitton of external storage. Simple and done, as noted. I guess it's not MHL but for plane flights I have a nice 32GB flash drive I'm going to load up with movies.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
If there ever was a small microusb memory dongle that you could attach to the galaxy nexus and it just added a small nub to the end of the phone, that would almost be tolerable.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
Despite being an iOS guy I figured I should take a look at the Nexus tablet both to evaluate Android tablets in general and to see whether it would be worth the trouble to release an app (port Storm Sim or create a new app).

So the Nexus 7 arrived today and what am I greeted with? A nice row of dead pixels across the screen. This is pretty much the quality I expected but now I need to figure out who I have to call to get it replaced. I am really hoping I can handle this via email.

The setup experience also sucks, it asks too many questions and once the setup says it is done you are dropped back to a screen that demands you login (I did not create an account) and trying to launch Chrome also pesters you about a login. Just gently caress off, I want to use the drat tablet not sign away my life to Google.

Note: no balls present in this picture, though you can see my iPhone reflection. The black line is not part of the page, it is a row of dead pixels.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
Just got my replacement Nexus 7 (first one had an hunk of dirt sandwiched between the lcd and glass) and I'm thinking about returning it for a 10" tablet.

What made me get to this point is getting the bluetooth keyboard logitech has for android tablets. It turned it into a cool toy I would need to find a use for, to something I can actually be somewhat productive on. Right now it's sitting beside my two monitors at work as a sort of third screen to leave tickets and alerts up.

Downloaded DroidEdit to do some editing on, and the 7" screen is a little cumbersome to do work like this on.

Would I be crazy returning this for the TF300T? The infinity, while also nice, is a little too high in price for me.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Using an Android tablet without a Google account is extremely dumb and Google are trying to tell you that. Take the hint.

Isn't it the same for iOS anyway? I don't know, I've never set up an Apple device but I assumed you would have an iTunes account or whatever Apple call it now. Every single iPhone user I know has an iTunes account.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Tunga posted:

Using an Android tablet without a Google account is extremely dumb and Google are trying to tell you that. Take the hint.

Isn't it the same for iOS anyway? I don't know, I've never set up an Apple device but I assumed you would have an iTunes account or whatever Apple call it now. Every single iPhone user I know has an iTunes account.

It's just as bad. I'd say it's worse because every time I want to update an app from my ipad, I have to log in. My android updates apps automatically.

Android tablets also don't require anything like itunes being installed which is a huge plus.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Ender.uNF posted:

Despite being an iOS guy I figured I should take a look at the Nexus tablet both to evaluate Android tablets in general and to see whether it would be worth the trouble to release an app (port Storm Sim or create a new app).

So the Nexus 7 arrived today and what am I greeted with? A nice row of dead pixels across the screen. This is pretty much the quality I expected but now I need to figure out who I have to call to get it replaced. I am really hoping I can handle this via email.

The setup experience also sucks, it asks too many questions and once the setup says it is done you are dropped back to a screen that demands you login (I did not create an account) and trying to launch Chrome also pesters you about a login. Just gently caress off, I want to use the drat tablet not sign away my life to Google.

Note: no balls present in this picture, though you can see my iPhone reflection. The black line is not part of the page, it is a row of dead pixels.

The setup asks way less questions if you actually sign in with a Google account because it will pull your name and stuff from your account (which is required for the app market anyway). That sucks about the dead pixels, yeah the first batch seem to lack quality control, but the rest of your post is useless complaining. Why do you think it's acceptable for Apple to force an iTunes account or even force the iTunes software on an iOS user but asking you to login to the Google services is pestering?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

chemosh6969 posted:

Android tablets also don't require anything like itunes being installed which is a huge plus.

Neither do Apple tablets.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Setup is over in less than a minute if you login with a Google account. It was actually kind of scary how quickly it pulled all the details in.

The more I use the Nexus the more I like it. I don't think I could go back to using anything larger for what I use it for - casual browsing, games, and some comics. I'm never far enough away from a real computer for the small screen to be an issue.
Maybe I'd consider an 8 inch one, but no larger. The Ipad seems really clunky now.

It's a shame that Asus' manufacturing process seems to be so inconsistent, though. It seems pretty clear that Google aren't the best at distributing hardware, either.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

chemosh6969 posted:

It's just as bad. I'd say it's worse because every time I want to update an app from my ipad, I have to log in. My android updates apps automatically.

This is really dumb on iOS, but to be fair it's being fixed in iOS 6.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice
I never said it was a good idea in general, that's your assumption... The startup wizard on iOS annoys me as well.

If I really need to use a google account then it should force me to sign in with one or offer to create one. If I *can* skip then don't ask me all those other questions. Under what conceivable circumstances would I skip entering a google account but sign up for Chrome to sync my tabs? (Hint: none)

However I may just be in a bad mood because it is obvious that ASUS never bothered to turn the thing on even once before it left the factory because this issue would have been immediately obvious... In fact the black stickers on the bottom of the box were cut and new identical ones taped over it so I presume this unit was serviced or checked for the screen adhesion issue or some other issue so they failed to QC it twice.

I also cannot fathom how Google let a crap company like ASUS create this thing when they bought a hardware company... It just smacks of the typical slapshod lack of quality they show in everything... They talk about having ASUS put it together in a couple of months to rush it out as if that werent a goddamn embarassment. Launch a million projects (some of which have APIs, some of which don't, some of which work together as a platform, some of which don't), then arbitrarily kill them at random. Then one day out of the blue everything is Google Play (?) because they decided they needed to compete with the iTunes store.

It's just so aggravating because they employ a lot of smart people and could bring some attention to detail and resources to bear on these problems of they wanted to.

On a lighter note, does anyone know the easiest way to exchange this thing? I'd like to get one that doesn't have a hosed screen so I can actually evaluate it as a device. Despite everything I've said I still am not ruling out writing apps for it and you can be drat sure any apps I write will have tablet-specific UIs and not some blown-up phone UI. Whether anyone will buy them or it will just be 99% piracy is another matter (or the ever popular "crappy app that no one wants so let me whine about it" path)

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Jesus man, you sound pretty stressed out over a $250 tablet.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Ender.uNF posted:

In fact the black stickers on the bottom of the box were cut and new identical ones taped over it
Seems like everyone has said this. Maybe they forgot to pack something.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Ender.uNF posted:

On a lighter note, does anyone know the easiest way to exchange this thing? I'd like to get one that doesn't have a hosed screen so I can actually evaluate it as a device. Despite everything I've said I still am not ruling out writing apps for it and you can be drat sure any apps I write will have tablet-specific UIs and not some blown-up phone UI. Whether anyone will buy them or it will just be 99% piracy is another matter (or the ever popular "crappy app that no one wants so let me whine about it" path)

Call up whoever you bought it from unless it was a close by store in which case walk up to the counter and tell them it's hosed and you want an exchange.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Ender.uNF posted:

I also cannot fathom how Google let a crap company like ASUS create this thing when they bought a hardware company...

I don't really have an opinion on ASUS but I agree with the buying a hardware company thing. I think Google is trying to give the hardware companies a fair chance with the Nexus devices (Samsung GNex, ASUS N7), perhaps we'll see the next Nexus devices made by HTC or Motorola. However, I do think Android would be a better platform if Motorola(Google) was the sole hardware producer for the Nexus devices. It would mean Samsung, ASUS and HTC would need to be competitive with updating their older devices instead of just letting them die with 2-3 version old Android OS.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
Google bought Motorola for the patents, not for hardware.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Counterpoint: the transformer infinity has exceptional build quality and I am a huge spergmaster about that stuff.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Syrinxx posted:

Counterpoint: the transformer infinity has exceptional build quality and I am a huge spergmaster about that stuff.

If only you could buy them.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice

Fatal posted:

200 :science:

I got the 8 GB model which shipped immediately.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Fatal posted:

Meh, it shouldn't be that hard to avoid the issues that google constantly has with tablets and tablet software. There are plenty of things to have real issues about, but especially with tablets android/google just is inconsistent, buggy and not optimized.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
So I have the screen separation issue on my 16GB Nexus 7 which I probably wouldn't have diagnosed if I hadn't read online about it. Anyways, I tried to tighten the screws (which were loose) but the problem reoccurred after a bit. I called Google support for a replacement last Saturday and they told me the problem is with the glue that connects the bezel/screen with the rest of the unit. They said it might take until Monday for someone to send me the replacement information. Anyways, I got all the information on Monday and today received a shipping notification for the replacement. So yes, they do seem to have set aside some set of the 16GB models for replacement purposes.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

Meh, it shouldn't be that hard to avoid the issues that google constantly has with tablets and tablet software. There are plenty of things to have real issues about, but especially with tablets android/google just is inconsistent, buggy and not optimized.

What are you talking about? I would say, so far, my Nexus 7 experience has been just as smooth software/hardware-wise as my iPad 2. In both I had minor defects (light bleed on the iPad 2, screen separation on the Nexus 7) but the software worked fine for the most part.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

Maybe it's just hard to launch an iPad competitor at half the cost?

They are trying to let you have your cake and eat it too, in effort to shift the paradigm. Tablet prices have been ridiculous and a lot of first world people have them and can afford to pay it, but the fact is for a technology with so many applications(k-12 schools alone), that can have such a great significance, it's a market that needs to be a lot more competitive to get where it needs to be.

People were all about One Laptop Per Child; with things like 50 dollar android tablets out there already, the pace of the technology right now, and the relative ease of putting wikipedia on an SD card, the impact down the line could be tremendous.

Everyone owning video chatting voip wifi devices could force competitive mobile plans, maybe even less metering of broadband if they become so commonplace, who knows. Alternately tablets could stay high end consumer goods primarily produced by a company that eclipsed Google & Microsoft's combined worth while only having 15% of the OS market share.

Butt Wizard
Nov 3, 2005

It was a pornography store. I was buying pornography.
Huawei is looking like they'll get their MediaPad 10 FHD out in the not too distant future. I am seriously tempted.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I think that may be the iPad killer.

Butt Wizard
Nov 3, 2005

It was a pornography store. I was buying pornography.

right arm posted:

I think that may be the iPad killer.

I wonder if simplifying the dock means they can do things a bit cheaper than Asus? It'll be interesting to see how this pans out. There aren't that many HD Android tablets with 3G capabilities, so I guess it will all comes down to what launches and when. I've already hit Huawei NZ up about it; no idea if it's coming here, but they said it was a 'beast' and they seem like they're pretty excited.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I wouldn't hold out too much hope for Huawei - all their phones are pretty terrible and I just bet they'll screw up something major like the screen, or bundle buggy software or something.

Then again perhaps I'm just a cynic.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Going back to USB On The Go for a moment, I wonder if this cable will let me connect my GNex and N7 directly and move files (both rooted, and I know it needs an app to do it). I ordered one since my HDD is USB Micro so it'll work for that anyway but it'd be cool to connect the two devices directly.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Ender.uNF posted:

I think you should go ahead and give this a pass. You don't care for Google or Android, why shorten your lifespan with stress and despair by making an app for it?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

My coworker just asked me a question I didn't really know how to answer. He just bought his first Android device (Nexus 7) and he lets his kids use it a lot. Apparently they've been buying games with his $25 store credit. Is there any way to block this in the same fashion that Apple requires a password to buy apps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
In the store settings. You have to set a pin to lock editing the pin you use to approve purchases.