Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I don't know who you are, but you sound like a douchebag.

No, this solo is a douchebag, and I'm thinking of skipping the interview. She's literally asking me to do three hour thing including a grammar and spelling test. What the gently caress.

I've encountered this before from solos, it's an ego thing, and it's obnoxious as gently caress. Last guy who pulled this was an LLB, or whatever that non-JD degree is called, and he was bragging to me for the longest time about how "dumb" the really high prestige degree holders were because they couldn't jump through his stupid hoops. I feel this coming on, and this time I'll be on the receiving end.

I'm expecting questions designed to prove that a "REAL PRACTITIONER" schooled in REAL LAW is better than that theoretical BULLSHIT they teach you at those high ranked universities. Perhaps she'll ask me what goes on Schedule B of title insurance and how to get those exemptions removed, or some similarly arcane practice-specific poo poo.

There's a ton of resentment against Yale/Harvard/NYU/Columbia/T15 people from folks who had to scrap their way through and become loving masters at some specialty or other, but who still don't get respect. The top rankers poo poo on the low rankers, the low rankers poo poo on the top rankers, this is all such bullshit, I am sick of it.

Martin Random fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jul 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010
You're a lawyer. You're not supposed to get sick of it, you're supposed to fight your way to the top :smug:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Waah, lawyers who might hire me don't lick my boots. Waah.

Don't do the interview if you're too scared of being embarrassed. Nobody cares, especially not the solo.

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Waah, lawyers who might hire me don't lick my boots. Waah.

Don't do the interview if you're too scared of being embarrassed. Nobody cares, especially not the solo.

Taking it a little too far to be a credible troll.

dos4gw
Nov 12, 2005

Martin Random posted:

Taking it a little too far to be a credible troll.

to be fair youve made posts saying stuff like, 'how could i not have applied for jobs sooner? i didn't realise just how incredible my cv really is!' and then assumed that someone is going to be jealous of your 'high prestige' degree.

you sound like a penis to me

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

woozle wuzzle posted:

Woot! It's looking good for passing, man. To fall into that 30%, you'd have to botch it up or feel like several essays missed the mark.

There was some stuff I didn't know, but no question where I was totally blank and didn't know anything.

Two of the sub-parts to the VA Civ Pro question I had never run across and the answer isn't in my outlines - if one defendant has a default judgment entered against him, (1) can he object at trial to entry of evidence by plaintiff, (2) can he enter his own evidence w/ regard to damages, (3) if plaintiff is ruled contributorily negligent, is he still entitled to judgment against defendant against whom default judgment was entered?

I hedged my bets on 1 and 2 and said no to 1 and yes to 2. Said yes to 3. Who knows. Don't feel like looking it up.

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

dos4gw posted:

to be fair youve made posts saying stuff like, 'how could i not have applied for jobs sooner? i didn't realise just how incredible my cv really is!' and then assumed that someone is going to be jealous of your 'high prestige' degree.

you sound like a penis to me

I did not just post that to be a dick; I literally did not apply for jobs for like two years out of hopelessness. I remember reading this thread back in the day and going, "Oh gently caress," and looking into getting an engineering degree, actually signing up for classes because it's so dismal in here. The discovery that my law degree is actually worth something is a loving revelation.

This thread has a lot of people talking about how hopeless poo poo is. Let's balance it out a bit. I got two interviews after a week of resume spamming, and I have a big loving three year gap in my work experience during which I just hosed around, and for all anyone knows, dealt meth or some poo poo. poo poo isn't hopeless.

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
...and that interview with that woman is going to be a poo poo show. She's just too loving weird. After my phone conversation with her, googling her, and reading some of her poo poo, there are red flags all over. She wants to pull my DMV record to make sure I haven't killed anyone with my car, and wants to talk to my two "best friends" in addition to professional references. Her website was obviously made in 1998... it's got those javascript scrolling letters.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

Martin Random posted:

The discovery that my law degree is actually worth something is a loving revelation.

You felt this despite going to Stanford? wow

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Martin Random posted:

There's a ton of resentment against Yale/Harvard/NYU/Columbia/T15 people from folks who had to scrap their way through and become loving masters at some specialty or other, but who still don't get respect. The top rankers poo poo on the low rankers, the low rankers poo poo on the top rankers, this is all such bullshit, I am sick of it.

Where did I put my world's smallest violin

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Martin Random posted:

...and that interview with that woman is going to be a poo poo show. She's just too loving weird. After my phone conversation with her, googling her, and reading some of her poo poo, there are red flags all over. She wants to pull my DMV record to make sure I haven't killed anyone with my car, and wants to talk to my two "best friends" in addition to professional references. Her website was obviously made in 1998... it's got those javascript scrolling letters.

I hope you do the interview because it sounds like it'll be a blast.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I hope you do the interview because it sounds like it'll be a blast.

Seriously just go to the interview and treat it like some kind of crazy stage performance. Develop some kind of twisted character with a good narrative and get your best friends to play along when she calls.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 25, 2012

bozwell
Feb 14, 2009
If you don't have a (legal) job and haven't had one for two years, I would take the interview 100% seriously. Who cares if she's batty, it's experience. Regardless of the school you went to, you're not all that marketable at the moment because you have no experience and you've been out of the loop for quite a while. The market is completely saturated with people much like you. Don't go into it thinking that you're too good for this job or with the preconceived notion that she's nuts, egotistical, overcompensating for going to a bad school, and all that other bullshit. Get yourself some sort of job, get some experience, and then look to lateral if she's batshit crazy.

It's funny, but you go from "unmarketable" to "high in demand" in roughly 2 years of actual work. I have headhunters calling me at least once a week to change jobs and take some kind of crazy signing bonus, and if my managing partner wasn't absolutely the best boss I could possibly hope for, I'd probably consider it. That said, we take in (and typically throw out) resumes from people that are fresh out of school on a daily basis. Confidence is a great thing and you need it to interview well, but don't let pride and egotism stop you from taking a job.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
As someone who once had a very similar interview experience to Martin Random's, I'm on his side. Lawyers who give stupid poo poo skill tests in interviews are weirdo assholes that you don't want to work for. Here's a relevant story:

One of my colleagues in my tax LL.M. program got an offer to work for a boutique trusts & estates practice. My colleague had done well in our program, and had a ton of coursework in all the relevant tax law. So of course her new boss tells her that she has to attend his estate & gift tax course that he teaches at the local law school, "because he wants to make sure she understands those taxes." I studied hard with her, she got an A on that material, and she knew that poo poo.

Sure enough, she takes the job (nothing else came through), and the guy turns out to be a colossal rear end in a top hat in just about every way.

So yeah, if someone wants you to do an on-the-spot skill test or has other weird "I don't actually respect you at all, in any way" behaviors, you should stand up, shake their hand, thank them for the interview, and walk out the loving door.

Mind you, I'm not talking about the typical "you're a fresh JD who doesn't know anything" attitude - that's totally legit. But giving someone who has passed the bar a spelling and grammar test? Yeah, you can gently caress right off with that. Totally inappropriate.

edit:

Dogen posted:

Seriously just go to the interview and treat it like some kind of crazy stage performance. Develop some kind of twisted character with a good narrative and get your best friends to play along when she calls.

This would be awesome but you don't want her spreading the word that you're a lunatic.

dos4gw
Nov 12, 2005

entris posted:

Mind you, I'm not talking about the typical "you're a fresh JD who doesn't know anything" attitude - that's totally legit. But giving someone who has passed the bar a spelling and grammar test? Yeah, you can gently caress right off with that. Totally inappropriate.

Plenty of people in this thread talk about things like 'practicing' law. Likewise it's common to see lawyers using semi-colons where they shouldn't be used and other little things like that. Things like that are the reason I don't dictate documents at work because it ends up taking more time to check them for errors than it does to just type everything first time round.

To suggest that passing the bar somehow makes you above needing your spelling and grammar checked is ridiculous. Maybe not everyone cares but if a person hiring for a job does then they're entitled to make sure employees meet certain standards.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

entris posted:

As someone who once had a very similar interview experience to Martin Random's, I'm on his side. Lawyers who give stupid poo poo skill tests in interviews are weirdo assholes that you don't want to work for.

This. The problem is that the need of this type of person to assert superiority and belittle others doesn't stop once the interview is over. I work with (fortunately not for) some people like this. For the people who work for them, every day is an unfortunate, miserable grind with these types of jackholes trying to assert some perverse dominance/subservience relationship into everything they do.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 25, 2012

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

dos4gw posted:

Plenty of people in this thread talk about things like 'practicing' law.
Maybe I'm one of the lawyers who would be weeded out by a spelling and grammar test, but what is wrong with 'practicing'?

bozwell
Feb 14, 2009
I'm going to disagree a bit. We frequently give people a contract assignment or two to work on when we're evaluating them. We've also had people do writing exercises during their interview. We don't call it a spelling and grammar test, but in addition to the substantive analysis, we're looking to see whether people make grammatical or other mistakes in their writing. In our practice, it's necessary that people use accurate, precise language (e.g., when drafting claims) and simple mistakes, or even the stray usage of a comma, can impact the merits of a particular case. If that offends people, so be it, but you might be surprised what we see from well-credentialed applicants.

Edit to correct one of my own mistakes - thankfully I already got the job.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
If I ever hire someone, I'm going to make them assemble an IKEA desk. That way I can be sure they can follow directions.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
All the examples mentioned would probably be terrible bosses for most of us. But I can see the method to their madness.

I'm in the position of considering hiring a peon law graduate over the next year, and it's a strange angle. It would allow me to focus on more lucrative work, and I get a cut of what they produce. I know my particular niche business, and they will come into it knowing near zero. The reason for hiring them is to stick them with the grunt work and take a cut, in exchange for a stable job.

In many cases, the small firm wants a trained puppy to jump through hoops. They can't afford a failure, or to take a shot on a brilliant mind. They want a worker bee. So the asinine testing and ego trip is to cut out the people with independent thinking. Once the new guy spends a year absorbing the niche business, the small firm needs them to somehow stay and continue handing over 1/3 of their fees. If the person has any gumption, they'd just go out on their own or get a better job.

I could picture the crazy testing lady setting out a series of progressively larger bugs, and hiring the person who ate the most. ^^ Or yeah what this guy said, perfect.

dos4gw
Nov 12, 2005

Ani posted:

Maybe I'm one of the lawyers who would be weeded out by a spelling and grammar test, but what is wrong with 'practicing'?

OK it turns out that in American usage there is no distinction between the noun and the verb like there is in the UK so sorry - I take that bit back.

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/practice-or-practise/

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

dos4gw posted:

Plenty of people in this thread talk about things like 'practicing' law. Likewise it's common to see lawyers using semi-colons where they shouldn't be used and other little things like that. Things like that are the reason I don't dictate documents at work because it ends up taking more time to check them for errors than it does to just type everything first time round.

Please; don't critizes; the way I practicing my law;.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

If I ever hire someone, I'm going to make them assemble an IKEA desk. That way I can be sure they can follow directions.

Have you tried to assemble an IKEA desk? It's more likely to test creative thinking skills and adaptability.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

CaptainScraps posted:

I had to edit the office wiki to show a willingness to contribute :rolleyes:

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
I missed you Martin

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

sooo do i get the job

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

The last non-lateral lawyer we hired did a six-week clerkship before we offered them a full-time job. It was paid, of course, so I'm not implying that it's the same as the crazy lady who gives you a test during the interview or whatever (though I don't see what's wrong with asking you if you know a few basic concepts about their practice area, especially a solo who doesn't have time to hold your soft little hand).

But some firms expect a little more than just showing up with a sparkly resume and a chip on your shoulder.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Phil Moscowitz posted:

The last non-lateral lawyer we hired did a six-week clerkship before we offered them a full-time job. It was paid, of course, so I'm not implying that it's the same as the crazy lady who gives you a test during the interview or whatever (though I don't see what's wrong with asking you if you know a few basic concepts about their practice area, especially a solo who doesn't have time to hold your soft little hand).

But some firms expect a little more than just showing up with a sparkly resume and a chip on your shoulder.

A try-out period makes total sense. Asking targeted questions during the interview makes total sense, especially for a solo. Telling someone that they have to do an on-the-spot three-hour exam, with a grammar and spelling portion, is pretty ridiculous.

Another LL.M. colleague of mine went in to a BigLaw interview for a partnership tax position. One of the partners spent twenty minutes grilling him on the various code sections for partnership taxation - "What's the section number for this? For that? What does "_____" mean?" My friend said it was fairly intense. That sort of questioning I can understand, because it's on-point and relevant, but grammar? Spelling?

That would piss me off and I was a spelling bee champion as a grade schooler. :colbert:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Let's just say I take whatever that guy is saying with a grain of salt.

Grammar and spelling should be taken care of with a writing sample.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
What if the firm is doing criminal/bankruptcy, and the spelling test is really to make sure the applicant's writing level is bad enough to be understood by the clientele? I'd give applicants a reverse grammar test.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

is atlas of bugs still alive?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Incredulous Red posted:

is atlas of bugs still alive?

I would think so - didn't he get a financial job in NYC or something?

Litany
Feb 5, 2005
the stains become a warning?

entris posted:

I would think so - didn't he get a financial job in NYC or something?

Something like that, and he's the NYC thread's best poster now too.

Litany fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 25, 2012

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

what was the answer to that mbe question about the bomb planted in the plane that kills 3 people?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Tetrix posted:

what was the answer to that mbe question about the bomb planted in the plane that kills 3 people?

C. It's always C.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Tetrix posted:

Palsgraf

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
force majeure

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

No charge for the passenger cuz hey who knew?

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Martin Random posted:

No, this solo is a douchebag, and I'm thinking of skipping the interview. She's literally asking me to do three hour thing including a grammar and spelling test. What the gently caress.

Lots of people are calling Martin Random out for bitching about taking this test. I'm curious, are these types of tests common? What purpose do they serve that the bar doesn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

insanityv2 posted:

Lots of people are calling Martin Random out for bitching about taking this test. I'm curious, are these types of tests common? What purpose do they serve that the bar doesn't?

I think they're more calling him out for the breathtaking self importance in his last 20 posts.