Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pozzo
Nov 4, 2009

What is like posting in a thread?
A Ballista, that's what!
Hey I'm looking to create a video to go along with a spoken word piece, and it'll involve smashing and scrolling the text of the piece up on to the screen in various permutations. Almost like a really elaborate and overwrought Powerpoint presentation or something. What would the software to do this be?

Jesus actually putting it into words like that it sounds like a horrible piece of poo poo. Oh well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Pozzo posted:

Hey I'm looking to create a video to go along with a spoken word piece, and it'll involve smashing and scrolling the text of the piece up on to the screen in various permutations. Almost like a really elaborate and overwrought Powerpoint presentation or something. What would the software to do this be?

Jesus actually putting it into words like that it sounds like a horrible piece of poo poo. Oh well!

Software: After Effects. The broad/general term is motion graphics, or motion design.

Pozzo
Nov 4, 2009

A Ballista, that's what!

Travakian posted:

Software: After Effects. The broad/general term is motion graphics, or motion design.

Thanks!

This thread is fantastic. I want to think up more random questions to ask it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
More generally about this board- what would be the best way to put up a short audio theater script? Has anyone tried that here?

Dukeofdummies
Feb 1, 2012

Go on good sir, you have my full attention.
Well, there appears to be a theme going in this thread and it looks like I am going to break it.

The op said stupid little questions, so here it goes.

I have this fuzzy pillow, it was an awesome fuzzy pillow back in its day but over the years it has ceased to be fuzzy. It still has the fuzz but now it's tangled and looks more like the Grouch's blue second cousin or something. I would love to bring it back to its former epic fuzziness but the tag said it wasn't machine washable.

good example of its former fuzzy glory.

Anyone have any ideas?

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Maxwell Lord posted:

More generally about this board- what would be the best way to put up a short audio theater script? Has anyone tried that here?

We've had scripts posted here before. Follow the rules to figure out if it warrants a new thread or not, and how to format everything. I can't speak for others, but I don't get how people can READ DIALOGUE WRITTEN IN ALL CAPS, so you might have to convert it if you're writing it in a screenwriting app that formats it retardo-Hollywood style for you.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Dukeofdummies posted:

Well, there appears to be a theme going in this thread and it looks like I am going to break it.

The op said stupid little questions, so here it goes.

I have this fuzzy pillow, it was an awesome fuzzy pillow back in its day but over the years it has ceased to be fuzzy. It still has the fuzz but now it's tangled and looks more like the Grouch's blue second cousin or something. I would love to bring it back to its former epic fuzziness but the tag said it wasn't machine washable.

good example of its former fuzzy glory.

Anyone have any ideas?

Depends what it's made of, but I'd suggest washing it by hand in cold water, and let it drip dry.

It may just be that the cover is machine washable, but the stuffing isnt (lots of foams and such will just melt in a dryer). You might be able to take the stuffing out, wash the case (on delicates cycle, just to be safe), then re-stuff it and sew it shut again. I've done this with stuffed animals before.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Wash that kind of thing in a delicates bag just to be safe if you do machine wash.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

pipes! posted:

We've had scripts posted here before. Follow the rules to figure out if it warrants a new thread or not, and how to format everything. I can't speak for others, but I don't get how people can READ DIALOGUE WRITTEN IN ALL CAPS, so you might have to convert it if you're writing it in a screenwriting app that formats it retardo-Hollywood style for you.

The reason I ask is because audio scripts use a different format (character names go on the left, then indentation, then dialogue) and different conventions from movie/tv or stage scripts. I guess I'll just have to see how it works in the preview.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Anyone have any font advice for a female country music band logo? Preferably something free/cheap, since I'm doing this as a favour.

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 19, 2012

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011
OK, so I'm opening Flash for the first time in like 6 years and I'm super confused because everything is different. I have a whole heap of questions but they all kind of stem from one particular question so I'll just ask that one: How do I edit this drat curve so that everything eases in and out the way I want it to? I'm used to animating in After Effects and I don't understand why this is so different.

Do people really use all these different ease options, like "bounce" or whatever? I'm sure some of them are time-savers but I'd really just like some handles that I can drag around. Please help me!

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

What is that bounce option? I have never seen that.

I always use classic tweens and the easing slider on the properties panel, sometimes I will click on the little pencil next to it and modify it further. It is not the best way but as far as I know Flash sucks and doesn't have a proper curve editor.

Pozzo
Nov 4, 2009

A Ballista, that's what!
So now I'm mucking about with After Effects. I made a rectangle move!

Are there any particularly good tutorials or training resources for it? Particularly with regard to using it for Motion Graphics?

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Pozzo posted:

So now I'm mucking about with After Effects. I made a rectangle move!

Are there any particularly good tutorials or training resources for it? Particularly with regard to using it for Motion Graphics?

For motion, check out Nick Campbell's tutorials. For AE as it pertains to VFX, look into (ugh, hate that I'm saying this) Video Copilot

anaaki
Apr 2, 2008
If I wanted to oil paint in my apartment, how would I handle the disposal of chemicals? (I plan to mainly use odorless mineral spirits for thinning)

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?

anaaki posted:

If I wanted to oil paint in my apartment, how would I handle the disposal of chemicals? (I plan to mainly use odorless mineral spirits for thinning)

Talking broad strokes you dont really dispose of paint thinner, turps or any solvents - you store them in appropriate containers for re-use. The paint settles out pretty quickly. I use a large glass container to wash my brushes and a small container just for turps that I paint with.

Also speaking generally, using mineral spirits for pain thinning will distort color a lot more than using better mediums like refined turps. You can use almost anything to clean your brushes, but the solvent you use to lay down paint will impact color and cracking. You don't see it immediately, but in 6-12 months you will. Do an example for yourself, take a piece of gessoed board, and with whatever paint you use lay down some paint on its own, using mineral spirits, or refined turps. Stick it in a dark closet for 6 months.

anaaki
Apr 2, 2008

Beat. posted:

Also speaking generally, using mineral spirits for pain thinning will distort color a lot more than using better mediums like refined turps.

I wasn't sure, because in the one oil painting class I took when I was in art school, they had us use mineral spirits and nothing else.

They also had these metal buckets for rags and what not. Wasn't sure if I should do that, or how to dispose of those types of things.

Mainly, I don't want to: burn down my apartment, poison myself or my cat, pollute the Earth.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?
As far as the mineral spirits thing, it depends on how anal you are about materials. They'll do the same thing while you're painting, it just affects aging, as will buying lovely paint with a lot of fillers that are low quality. You're gonna pollute the earth no matter what. That's just the nature of the business. I usually threw away rags in a metal container stored outside, but I used paper towels. I'd keep pets away from any of it, more for the mess factor than anything.

You might also want to invest in a HEPA filter, they are pretty cheap and really nice if you are working indoors. Will also cut down on dust in your paint.

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.
I'm looking for buy a new art/drafting table. Anyone have any suggestions/preferences/etc...

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008
I am trying to clean up some maps I want to use for a bike trip.
EX:

*I don't know why imgur added all that white space since it's cropped much closer on the file. Maybe because it's a PDF?

I could print this out color, but it seems wasteful and I'd rather it be b/w or greyscale and then use a highlighter on the bike route so it really pops out.

As you can see there are a ton of secondary roads and rivers that I don't need on here.

I only have access to GIMP right now, but essentially same as PS filters.

Is there any filter I can use to knock out the blue and purple but leaving the rest?
Seems like when I play with the levels of blue it will effect all the other colors and not just drop the blue parts out. I tried the luminosity filter, and that's close, but still a little bit busy.

EDIT - I think I may have it. I'm using what GIMP calls the "selection by color tool". Knock out he blu and purple, convert to grey and crank the contrast... sound OK??

Interstitial Abs fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 25, 2012

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Interstitial Abs posted:

EDIT - I think I may have it. I'm using what GIMP calls the "selection by color tool". Knock out he blu and purple, convert to grey and crank the contrast... sound OK??

You could play with different B&W filters depending on the colour channel-- but honestly, for something like this, if it works it works.

A trite tautology, sure, but if it suits your needs then it's good enough!

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
Didn't see this asked in the first or last three pages. I'm looking into selling some of my fiction to journals and magazines. What's the proper way to shop around when I'm trying to sell a piece? Is it like interviewing for a job, where you send it to everybody and they assume you're looking at more than one place? Or is it more like dating, where you wait to be rejected or accepted one at a time, and for god's sake don't mention who else you're looking at?

Edit: Aaaaand I just read the submission guidelines again and noticed that it specifically says they don't accept reprints or simultaneous submissions. I guess that answers that.

Jonked fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 26, 2012

Itious
Apr 27, 2006
Is there a way in Illustrator to make a shape invert the colours of the shape underneath it? Like this:

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I'm starting to dip my hands into the art of bookbinding, for my comic book collection. However, I'm not going all-in. Instead of actually making a book, complete with sewing the pages and everything, I'm instead simply making hardcover book covers, with an interior of a box where the comic issues rest in. I got the idea from this:

This was my first attempt today:

Not bad, although I hosed up three of the four interior corners. I think I know what I was doing wrong.

What I want help with are some ideas for the exterior labeling of these 'books'. I want to achieve what you see in that image that inspired me to do this. Basic single-color text on the spine and single-color logo on the front. With being at JoAnn Fabrics a lot today, I've got the idea of using a Cricut cutting machine with adhesive vinyl.. but I question the strength of the adhesive.

I could just go with a 2/3rd width full-color image on the front cover like this, but honestly, it's the spine that I'm concerned about. A color image printed (professionally) on photo-quality paper would look good on the front, but having that done on the spine doesn't seem viable.

nu eros
Jul 20, 2012

we want our film to beautiful,
not realistic

Itious posted:

Is there a way in Illustrator to make a shape invert the colours of the shape underneath it? Like this:

Select the objects you want to overlap, go to Object > Live Paint > Make, then use the Live Paint Bucket to paint the inverted area white. As long as you keep them overlapping, you can rescale/reposition/etc and the overlap will move along with them.

If you don't need to be able to change things around afterward, just select the two shapes and hit exclude in pathfinder. That'll knock out the overlap.

Disreputable Dog
Dec 16, 2010

Revol posted:

I'm starting to dip my hands into the art of bookbinding, for my comic book collection. However, I'm not going all-in. Instead of actually making a book, complete with sewing the pages and everything, I'm instead simply making hardcover book covers, with an interior of a box where the comic issues rest in. I got the idea from this:

This was my first attempt today:

Not bad, although I hosed up three of the four interior corners. I think I know what I was doing wrong.

What I want help with are some ideas for the exterior labeling of these 'books'. I want to achieve what you see in that image that inspired me to do this. Basic single-color text on the spine and single-color logo on the front. With being at JoAnn Fabrics a lot today, I've got the idea of using a Cricut cutting machine with adhesive vinyl.. but I question the strength of the adhesive.

I could just go with a 2/3rd width full-color image on the front cover like this, but honestly, it's the spine that I'm concerned about. A color image printed (professionally) on photo-quality paper would look good on the front, but having that done on the spine doesn't seem viable.

For the corners, you should add 2x the height of the board (say 1/8" is the height of the cardboard/eska board) as a spacer before you trim the corner. so basically you just cut a 45 degree angle that probably skimmed the corner or was too close.

For the spine -- on darker paper it would probably be silk screened or foil stamped. Once you have the cover, back cover and spine glued together (like where it is lying flat in your picture), you could flip it over and silkscreen it, stamp it, emboss it, etc. Vinyl might work, but if that's fabric you're binding with, it might not adhere or curl up over time...

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
I'm trying to figure out corel draw x6, I do most of my editing with photoshop.

I want to put a hairline outline around the logo portion of this image:
http://www.bladeforums.com/bfc-grayscale.cdr
preferably about 1/8" around it. I have no idea how to accomplish that. Photoshop wouldn't be a problem, but I need it in vector format and can't figure it out.

Albright
Jan 10, 2008
Here's a question for the graphic designers out there:

Where do you get the photos for specific big brand products that a client may want in their ad? Say you are making an ad for an authorized Ford car dealership, and the dealership (client) wants a photo of a new black Ford Focus in the ad.

Is it okay to use the "stock" photos from Ford that can be found all over the internet? Or would you contact Ford for their approval? I've tried the usual stock photography websites to purchase a license to a photo, but there is NO selection for things like this (no specific cars or other specific products). Taking my own photos or hiring a photographer to do it is just not feasible for the budget of the ad (for a small local publication).

I see a ton of ads like this in local newspapers and magazines (using the car dealership example again), and those ads seem to just use photos found on google image search.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Albright posted:

Where do you get the photos for specific big brand products that a client may want in their ad? Say you are making an ad for an authorized Ford car dealership, and the dealership (client) wants a photo of a new black Ford Focus in the ad.

Not so sure for every industry, but a lot of the larger car brands (Ford, Toyota, etc.) have sites set up where you can download high-resolution photos of their newer-model vehicles, usually in a variety of file formats and pre-masked. A lot of the stuff that hits Google Images is usually this stuff saved down and spread out across the internet.

In fact, a lot of larger brands have very specific stipulations on how things like their logo and products can be displayed. I'm sure every company is different, but it's worth contacting them if you think it will be an issue.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
It's not cars, but I had to design a magazine article reviewing one of the new Windows phones and I was able to find lots of media shots on the Microsoft Press site. They had all their phone models, shots from press events, logos, pretty much everything I needed. So I assume it's the same for vehicles and other products.

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
Question about Illustrator: Is there a way to resize an image like the one below by stretching it out vertically or horizontally in the middle, but without warping the rounded edges or the thickness of the white border? I'm thinking of something akin to Photoshop's content aware scale.

In case its relevant, these are three separate vectors here (green rectangle, white rounded-edge rectangle, and a green rounded-edge rectangle).

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Crossposting from the general stupid questions thread because I think people here might know better:

A question: I'm entering a small local short film contest that projects the finalists onto a big screen in one of the town's theaters.

The films are home made and so aren't done with big budget cameras and are frequently standard definition, and are submitted via the internet so they're .avi/.mov/.wmv/whatever files.

Projecting these onto the big screen darkens them like crazy. Some of the films (those set in darker environments) are unwatchable because of this.

Can anyone tell me/link me to a tutorial for any filters/setting adjustments I can use to prevent this darkening beyond just upping the brightness and washing everything out? I've done a search but my google-foo is weak. Any help is appreciated. If it helps, I'm using adobe premiere.

Thanks!

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Haeleus posted:

Question about Illustrator: Is there a way to resize an image like the one below by stretching it out vertically or horizontally in the middle, but without warping the rounded edges or the thickness of the white border? I'm thinking of something akin to Photoshop's content aware scale.

In case its relevant, these are three separate vectors here (green rectangle, white rounded-edge rectangle, and a green rounded-edge rectangle).

If they're vector, yes. Just use the Direct Select tool to grab only the points you want to move. For example, if you want to make it wider you can box select the right (or left) half and drag those out, for example.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I'm having a problem animating a gif with Photoshop.
http://screencast.com/t/j17lAJ1y8y7

In the photo, you see the base background up on the frame.

However, that's supposed to be frame 83 out of 101, and it's certainly not.
The gif works fine until frame 83, and then it just shows the background for 18 frames and then starts over like it's supposed to. How do I get my last 18 frames to show up in the animation?

To note, the last 18 frames were edited slightly; I took a png transparency image and merged it down onto each frame. That might be why, but I don't know. Help!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Is there a good guide anywhere for creating a composite image from frames of a video? I want to take some of the videos from Syria I watch on a regular basis and stitch together frames of the video to make a large image of the area being filmed for research purposes. I've got access to CS5 if that helps.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Typography folks: I'm trying to find the font or something that is extremely similar to the one in this Com Truise live performance. Thanks!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Prismatic Goth
May 31, 2001

Phone posted:

Typography folks: I'm trying to find the font or something that is extremely similar to the one in this Com Truise live performance. Thanks!

Top: Century Gothic Bold with -50 tracking
Bottom: TeX Gyre Adventor Bold with -50 tracking

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Free too? :swoon:

Thanks man, I really appreciate it.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Anybody happen to know what font this is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

How do you add patterns to vectors in Photoshop (CS6 in my case)? Say I have this object here, and I wish to create a recurring white space pattern. Do I just copy/paste/subtract the transparent vector then eyeball the rotation angle, or is there a way to automate it?