Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

discstickers
Jul 29, 2004

tijag posted:

I'm seriously considering this car to replace my 2004 Civic Si. I haven't got to sit in one yet or drive it, or really anything other than read the pretty much unanimously glowing reviews of it.

I'm curious why you guys are going with the ST3 version. Is it the HID lights?

Neither have I, but my deposit is fully refundable, and I'll be able to drive it before I take delivery.

I went ST3 for the heated seats (it's ridiculous they bundled the features this way). I really wish I could get the two-tone seats though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

SouthLAnd posted:

Speaking of the new Fusion, Ford has a new configuration page up on their website.

The one I priced came out to $25,745. 1.6L ecoboost with the manual transmission, 18inch wheels, leather wrapped steering wheel and fog lights. And best of all...

How the hell did you end up with that? I ended up with nearly $40,000 when I priced one. Granted, I wanted leather seats and a moonroof, but there's a bit of a difference. Was yours the 5 speed manual, or the 6?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cream_Filling posted:

Leather, especially cheap leather, is cold in the winter, hot in the summer, wears poorly, and gives you sweaty rear end.

That's why you have seat heaters, air conditioning and do a leather treatment 3-4 times a year.

I have partial leather seats in my new car and they're brilliant, so I dunno. It's a Peugeot, so draw your own conclusions as to how cheap the leather is :v:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

KozmoNaut posted:

That's why you have seat heaters, air conditioning and do a leather treatment 3-4 times a year.

Or you could have none of that and be just as happy in a car with much cheaper fabric seats.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I just want a turbo AWD sedan with a 6 speed that isn't a Subaru, is that so much to ask?

I just want a turbo AWD roadster with a 6 speed that could be a Subaru idc, is that so much to ask?

EDIT: Don't you dare say Audi TT.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

dissss posted:

Or you could have none of that and be just as happy in a car with much cheaper fabric seats.

No I couldn't, I despise cloth seats. You can pry my leather seats from my cold dead hands.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Not another staple goony post about how every car should be available with turbo, manual, AWD and pick-and-choose luxury options for a price of an econobox. At least once per week, like clockwork.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

SouthLAnd posted:

The one I priced came out to $25,745. 1.6L ecoboost with the manual transmission, 18inch wheels, leather wrapped steering wheel and fog lights. And best of all...

$26,000 for a poverty-spec Fusion is a ripoff.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Nitrox posted:

Not another staple goony post about how every car should be available with turbo, manual, AWD and pick-and-choose luxury options for a price of an econobox. At least once per week, like clockwork.

"I basically want an Audi/BMW, but I only want to pay for a Focus. The car manufacturers are screwing us again!"

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Nitrox posted:

AWD turbo-rotary shooting brake.

The turbo inline-5 is an option.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
why would anyone want an AWD roadster?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

NOTinuyasha posted:

$26,000 for a poverty-spec Fusion is a ripoff.

That's MSRP which is kind of meaningless, that wasn't a stripper model either.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Guinness posted:

"I basically want an Audi/BMW, but I only want to pay for a Focus. The car manufacturers are screwing us again!"

To be fair, what they wanted was a manual transmission and AWD. BMW/Audis cost a lot because they're luxury cars and you're paying for the name. They weren't asking for a luxury car.

I feel similarly because I would have preferred cloth seats but when you want the most expensive engine/suspension for a model car, they rarely give you the option of not getting all the other expensive options. It was tough enough finding my car without the $1,000 nav system I didn't want. It's not always the car manufacturers trying to screw us though, it's just a lot easier bundling things into what's most likely to get sold. BMW is slowly getting rid of manuals because you jerks haven't been buying enough brand new $50k BMW's with manuals. :colbert:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

tijag posted:

I'm seriously considering this car to replace my 2004 Civic Si. I haven't got to sit in one yet or drive it, or really anything other than read the pretty much unanimously glowing reviews of it.

I'm curious why you guys are going with the ST3 version. Is it the HID lights?

HIDs, leather, buttwarmers, and to a much lesser extent, nav.

And I got to drive one a couple weeks ago, and I can't wait.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Guinness posted:

It's like used cars don't exist or something.

davebo posted:

To be fair, what they wanted was a manual transmission and AWD. BMW/Audis cost a lot because they're luxury cars and you're paying for the name. They weren't asking for a luxury car.

Isn't the Suzuki SX4 available with a manual and AWD?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Can't you get leather on ST2?

I just want assheaters on a lower trim, I don't give A gently caress about nav and hideez.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Can't you get leather on ST2?

"Partial-leather" Recaros on the ST2. But the MSRP on an ST2 with a sunroof is $27,775. Tempting.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

why would anyone want an AWD roadster?

turbo and AWD are still universally cred in vogue.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Guinness posted:

No I couldn't, I despise cloth seats. You can pry my leather seats from my cold dead hands.

Pff, Alcantara (aka polyester microfiber) is superior if you really want to spend extra money on a premium seat material.

Also, what is the need for buttwarmers without leather?

I do think that bundling performance features with luxury features is annoying, because it makes poo poo super expensive. Just because your typical know-nothing prestige-obsessed buyer will usually want the biggest engine to go with his full glass heated leather bullshit doesn't mean you can't have also offer a more practical performance package on the side.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 26, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

CornHolio posted:

It's like used cars don't exist or something.

A used modern Audi or BMW is a terrible decision if you're that worried about money.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cream_Filling posted:

Also, what is the need for buttwarmers without leather?

If you have not lived in a truly cold climate and experienced the wonder that is cloth heated seats, I pity you.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

HIDs, leather, buttwarmers, and to a much lesser extent, nav.

And I got to drive one a couple weeks ago, and I can't wait.

The HID's seem pretty cool, but from what I've heard the Recaro's aren't comfortable for bigger people.

edit: I'm 6'3" and even if I was my ideal weight I'm not ever going to be considered a 'narrow' guy. I need to sit in those Recaro's to see if they make sense for me to buy.

Is there a difference in the quality of the screen/sound system between the ST2 and ST3? Or is the ST3 just the leather + butt warmers [Los Angeles... need butt coolers not warmers] + navigation [do not need/want]

tijag fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 26, 2012

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

tijag posted:

The HID's seem pretty cool, but from what I've heard the Recaro's aren't comfortable for bigger people.

edit: I'm 6'3" and even if I was my ideal weight I'm not ever going to be considered a 'narrow' guy. I need to sit in those Recaro's to see if they make sense for me to buy.

Is that part of Ford's new global strategy, not catering to fat and/or tall Americans? Surely there are a lot of tall people in Europe though.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you have not lived in a truly cold climate and experienced the wonder that is cloth heated seats, I pity you.

Seconding this. We have a Volvo 850 with cloth seats (they seem kind of rare in the 850) and not only are they the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in, they're heated. In the winter, they are incredible.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I do live in a cold climate now, but have never encountered this feature before. You've now piqued my curiosity.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cream_Filling posted:

I do think that bundling performance features with luxury features is annoying, because it makes poo poo super expensive. Just because your typical know-nothing prestige-obsessed buyer will usually want the biggest engine to go with his full glass heated leather bullshit doesn't mean you can't have also offer a more practical performance package on the side.

It's like on the new ATS. You can't get the magnetic shocks without also getting the luxury package. So it's $10k over base to get to goodies I'd actually want.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Guinness posted:

I don't get it, why? The fake leather they use in most cars now seems like a huge step down for all the above mentioned reasons. I guess it maybe looks better and is easier to clean (though, higher maintenance), but it is less comfortable. If OEM cloth seat covers weren't $150 a pop, I'd have already swapped out my leather interior for cloth.

But hey, who needs seat bolsters when your sweaty rear end is glued to the seat? :v:

Edit:

^^ BMW has separated out their luxury features from their sporty features. I guess a lot of people don't want the insurance, fuel economy and ride quality hit from having a sports trim on their car when are just normal commuters.

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 26, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nitrox posted:

I never said for cheap. $45K is a bit steep for me but I'd be down for $30-32. My MS6 was like $28K new and has all the things I mentioned.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

A used modern Audi or BMW is a terrible decision if you're that worried about money.
:lol: no

My '99 M3 5spd cost me $8000 in 2009 and has cost me MAYBE $2000 in maintenance/parts/labor since then. It runs beautifully, the engine is in fantastic condition, etc.

It's a terrible decision if you don't research, do minor maintenance yourself, and don't have a good mechanic. It's an awesome, money-saving decision if you do those basic things.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kenshin posted:

It's a terrible decision if you don't research, do minor maintenance yourself, and don't have a good mechanic. It's an awesome, money-saving decision if you do those basic things.

So you're saying it's a terrible decision for most buyers?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Kenshin posted:

:lol: no

My '99 M3 5spd cost me $8000 in 2009 and has cost me MAYBE $2000 in maintenance/parts/labor since then. It runs beautifully, the engine is in fantastic condition, etc.

I'd argue that '99 isn't really "modern" anymore. I don't actually know, but don't current gen BMWs not even have dipsticks anymore? And isn't everything stuck on using Torx screws? Also, the parts for brands like Audi are pretty ridiculously expensive even ignoring the cost of labor.

I mean, I'm happy things are working for you, but 10-15 year old luxury cars are kind of a lot of work if you live in an apartment, don't have free time to do work yourself, don't know a good mechanic, or just are unlucky. Also, I'd maybe have some concerns about safety and reliability, comparing to a new car, though $8000 is a hell of a deal regardless.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 26, 2012

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Cream_Filling posted:

And isn't everything stuck on using Torx screws?

Torx screws are awesome. I wish everything used Torx screws. Phillips screws can go to hell.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Cream_Filling posted:

I'd argue that '99 isn't really "modern" anymore. I don't actually know, but don't current gen BMWs not even have dipsticks anymore? And isn't everything stuck on using Torx screws? Also, the parts for brands like Audi are pretty ridiculously expensive even ignoring the cost of labor.

I mean, I'm happy things are working for you, but 10-15 year old luxury cars are kind of a lot of work if you live in an apartment, don't have free time to do work yourself, don't know a good mechanic, or just are unlucky. Also, I'd maybe have some concerns about safety and reliability, comparing to a new car, though $8000 is a hell of a deal regardless.

I would argue that if you're worried about money, just about any used car will be a smarter idea than a new car. A three-year-old CPO BMW would be hugely cheaper than a brand-new one, for instance, even if you take it to the dealer for every service.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

CornHolio posted:

I would argue that if you're worried about money, just about any used car will be a smarter idea than a new car. A three-year-old CPO BMW would be hugely cheaper than a brand-new one, for instance, even if you take it to the dealer for every service.

Very true, but it's still not probably not going to be as cheap as a Focus, especially if you're comparing to a used one. Though I suppose there's a decent argument to be made for not buying used when you're looking to buy cheap performance cars, which tend to be utterly trashed very quickly by the typical buyers of cheap performance cars.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Agreed, if you're worried about money, buying any new car, whether it's a Toyota or a Porsche, is a losing proposition financially speaking.

Some of my idiot friends go and buy brand new 25-30k generic appliance cars that they don't care about and then think I'm the rich rear end in a top hat for driving an 8 year old BMW I paid half that for; and haven't had any non-routine maintenance costs with. They could have spent 10k on an 8 year old Camry and had a MUCH cheaper and pretty equally reliable appliance car even if they had some (unlikely) unexpected maintenance issues. But these are the kind of people who don't maintain a car at all, and think that once it needs new tires, new brakes, and some fluid changes that it is "a ticking time bomb" and they need to go buy a brand new car.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 26, 2012

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Cream_Filling posted:

Fixed.

Have a new Ford Focus SEL rental today, since I'm having a 3.15 differential and some other stuff done to my BMW 330 today, which by the way, has over 125k miles and has never left me stranded. Solid cars. Audi's don't live as long, IMO.

That sync thing worked great with my phone, no idea if any of the rest of it works. Not a horrible car although obviously a bit gutless with an automatic.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 26, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Keyser S0ze posted:

Fixed.

Have a new Ford Focus SEL rental today, since I'm having a 3.15 differential and some other stuff done to my BMW 330 today, which by the way, has over 125k miles and has never left me stranded. Solid cars. Audi's don't live as long, IMO.

That sync thing worked great with my phone, no idea if any of the rest of it works. Not a horrible car although obviously a bit gutless with an automatic.

Doesn't the rental-spec trim have a manumatic mode? I do know that it's a (dry-plate) DSG.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Keyser S0ze posted:

Our new Fiesta has Sync. I really don't care about the hands-free aspect of it but being able to play Pandora from my phone is friggin' awesome.

The only thing I don't like about the Fiesta's Sync is that when I have a USB drive connected, it's a pain in the rear end to scroll through the albums I have on there. Gotta go into like three menus just to scroll through.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Also, my dog slides around on leather seats, for some reason.
I'm cheerily waiting for the ST to become available, myself. Going to wait for the primary surge of demand to vanish, so the price dips below MSRP, so I'm thinking December at the earliest. But hey, as long as I can annoy BMW drivers with my V6 Camry, I'm happy.

I actually sort of want the nav, certainly want the fancy stereo, but none of the creature comforts. I'm stuck between ST1 and ST2. Anyone know how horrible the low-end stereo is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

tijag posted:

Is there a difference in the quality of the screen/sound system between the ST2 and ST3? Or is the ST3 just the leather + butt warmers [Los Angeles... need butt coolers not warmers] + navigation [do not need/want]

Yeah, you might have issues with the Recaros. I'm 6'1" 200ish, and I can't imagine they'd be particularly comfortable for anyone a whole lot bigger (though, even when I was 250 and sat at them at the DC Auto Show, I didn't really have a problem). The ST1 seats are slightly better Focus "sport" seats.

I *think* the stereos are the same between the ST2 and ST3, just that the ST3 adds nav, but it looks like it can be added for $795 (which I would assume is OEM nav addition and not an improved stereo).