Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Hedrigall posted:

Awesome, I am 30 pages from the end and will be finishing it tonight too! I really loved it. It reminds me of Dune in that it's a relatively short book (under 600 pages) yet is so packed with world-building and SF ideas and great characters, that it feels like you've just read a whole trilogy.

I dunno the answer to all the questions you posted, but I'm pretty sure the attack on Terminator was to show off the destructiveness of the pebble attack, so that whether the next attack was averted or not, Venus would still be scared enough to want to get rid of the sunshield and speed up the rotation. The lawn bowler was just a sociopathic genius who liked programming and didn't care if he killed lots of people as long as he got to try out his new qube algorithms or something. He was hired by Lakshmi's group who were presumably behind the qubans.
Ah that makes sense, usually I only get angry when I don't get the plot but this book really clicked with me. Have you read the Red Mars trilogy also? To me I see this book as a straight sequel, even though some things have been changed, guess that's why I liked it so much despite not really getting it :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

TjyvTompa posted:

Ah that makes sense, usually I only get angry when I don't get the plot but this book really clicked with me. Have you read the Red Mars trilogy also? To me I see this book as a straight sequel, even though some things have been changed, guess that's why I liked it so much despite not really getting it :D

I havent read the Mars books but I have Red Mars and Green Mars on my shelf ready to go.... sometime in the future. I thought I heard that 2312 is meant to be in a separate future timeline though, just with some elements in common but not actually going alongside those books.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Hedrigall posted:

I havent read the Mars books but I have Red Mars and Green Mars on my shelf ready to go.... sometime in the future. I thought I heard that 2312 is meant to be in a separate future timeline though, just with some elements in common but not actually going alongside those books.
Yes, it is not a real sequel, it just re-uses some elements, for example the terraformed Mars. Although Mars was terraformed in another way in 2312 then in Red Mars. The only thing that is really exactly the same is the city of Terminator, in that it exists in both books and works the same way.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

2312 sounds good, although I'm just coming to the end of Blue Remembered Earth, so I think I'll wait a bit before reading another near-ish-future Solar System book. Can anyone who's read both comment on how they compare? They sound quite similar, even the covers look the same, but I suspect they're quite different when it comes down to it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Junkenstein posted:

2312 sounds good, although I'm just coming to the end of Blue Remembered Earth, so I think I'll wait a bit before reading another near-ish-future Solar System book. Can anyone who's read both comment on how they compare? They sound quite similar, even the covers look the same, but I suspect they're quite different when it comes down to it.

The similarity has been noted in reviews. I'm going to hold off on Blue Remembered Earth for a few months so I don't confound the two books. Here's a review of 2312 I found on Goodreads which talks about the similarities and is in favour of KSR's work:

some dude called Mike on Goodreads posted:

A month or so ago I read Alastair Reynolds' sunshiney view of the possibilities of a post-Crisis Earth, a couple hundred years further along, humanity busting out into the solar system, getting a handle on its homefront poo poo (climate, poverty, inequality). He had some nice tweaks on new world order--Africa the hub of global commerce and politics; he positively swooned over assorted techxtrapolations; he wrapped it all up in a puzzlebox, giving us a mcguffin to attend to as he did the world-building thing. It was fun.

This weekend I picked up a copy of Kim Stanley Robinson's take on "utopia," also set some few hundred years out, also "post-scarcity," also tech-bedazzled... hell, even the drat cover looks the same.

And the book couldn't be more wondrously, thickly, impressively different. Not to bash Reynolds, but Robinson's sense of the political complexities is Middlemarchian--the bumbling and probing and bedevilling impact of difference, desire, need, environment, and ideology which ripples forward from where we are to where we might be. He steals structure and tone and some play with character from John Dos Passos, spinning points of view and interchapter "extracts" which allow for infodumps as prose poetry, as contrapuntal harmony to the core melodies of plot. And he, too, has a mcguffin: it opens as if a murder mystery, and KSR coyly strings along a problem which has its payoff without trampling the joy in detail, social-order alleyways, odes to environment, a bubbling undertow around the nature of the human (and of consciousness).

This is why I read science-fiction: because the richly strange what-if provokes in me a wonder at the intersections of identity, art, history, environment, economy, science, technology. It is among the best novels Robinson has written, which is saying something, and a second great novel for me so far this year

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I am a huge Alistair Reynolds fan, and I found Blue Remembered Earth to be mostly boring as poo poo. It seems like it might be the setup for an interesting series, but as a standalone book I don't think I would recommend it.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

Hedrigall posted:

The similarity has been noted in reviews. I'm going to hold off on Blue Remembered Earth for a few months so I don't confound the two books. Here's a review of 2312 I found on Goodreads which talks about the similarities and is in favour of KSR's work:

Interesting. I'm a fan of both Reynolds and KSR, so I've been meaning to read both novels, but it's good to hear that KSR is bringing his usual complexity. I really enjoyed the more political parts of Green Mars.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Trig Discipline posted:

I am a huge Alistair Reynolds fan, and I found Blue Remembered Earth to be mostly boring as poo poo. It seems like it might be the setup for an interesting series, but as a standalone book I don't think I would recommend it.

I agree it's not terribly thrilling, but I've enjoyed it well enough. There were enough interesting things, like the evolvarium, to keep me entertained. I like how it incorporates ideas from his previous books but sets them in a warmer, kinder universe. It'll be interesting to see if this continues as Man spreads into interstellar space.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

TjyvTompa posted:

Yes, it is not a real sequel, it just re-uses some elements, for example the terraformed Mars. Although Mars was terraformed in another way in 2312 then in Red Mars. The only thing that is really exactly the same is the city of Terminator, in that it exists in both books and works the same way.

Again? He really likes rebooting that setting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icehenge

He can call his work "Three Mars'"

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Quote is not edit

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Junkenstein posted:

Hilariously, the premise at the beginning of both books is very similar. They do end up very different, though. I enjoyed Blue Remembered Earth a lot more because its main character wasn't a 200-year-old with the mentality of a child.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Junkenstein posted:

Sorry I'm a bit late but this is my opinion.
I'm a huge Alistair Reynolds fan and have read all his other novels but this one (BRE) did not start off good. I'd say the first half of this book is really really bad. It starts out with annoying characters, annoying settings and it's just a big mess. But then it starts to pick up and by the end you really want to read the 2nd book.

Now, 2312, it starts out good, and continues good and ends, well, good. But it's not like "wow I must read more" it's more like "yup, that was a good book". I had only read the Red Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson before so I'm not sure how his other books are but I found 2312 to be better then the Red Mars trilogy, although they have quite different settings for most of the time.

If I had not already read Blue Remembered Earth I would wait with it until maybe even after the 2nd book has been released, 2312 I can recommend you read right now.

Hope I make sense, I'm just a guy who likes sci-fi.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I've just finished Reynold's House of Suns and need another far-future themed book. I liked Reed's Sister Alice too, so I guess humans with godlike powers, millions of years in the future work for me.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
Try Reed's Marrow books. Similar in theme, millions of years in the future with weird post-humans on a ship filled with aliens.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Has anyone done a TBB post on CJ Cherryh?

She's chronically underrated so if there's not one already I think I'll put in some :effort: and do an overview.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I found that CJ Cherryh had some cool ideas, but the actual execution was excruciatingly dry. I struggled through, but I don't think I could ever read her again. :\

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

oTHi posted:

I found that CJ Cherryh had some cool ideas, but the actual execution was excruciatingly dry. I struggled through, but I don't think I could ever read her again. :\

Yeah, that's a fair comment. She tends to have agonisingly conflicted main characters who spend a lot of time considering their options. But the sci-fi and politics in (say)the Chanur series is brilliant. It's a literary game of Traveller.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I found the Dread Empire's Fall series by Walter Williams interesting. I really enjoyed the sense of decadence and decay throughout the futuristic setting.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

oTHi posted:

Try Reed's Marrow books. Similar in theme, millions of years in the future with weird post-humans on a ship filled with aliens.

drat, not available on Kindle. At least in my country. Sounds like what I'm looking for, though.

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011
As someone who loves Alastair Reynold's books, I'm a bit sad I haven't found this thread earlier.

Having seen some of the Blue Remembered Earth chat going on, I have to admit that I prefer Reynold's far future work more, though I did enjoy BRE enough to want to read more of the series.

I recently finished Peter F Hamilton's Commonwealth Saga on the recommendation of a friend. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but not as much as the majority of Reynold's stuff. Regardless, I'm now looking for new material to consume.

I am in the process of reading through the thread looking for ideas, but I thought I'd ask a quick question here just in case someone has a specific idea for what I'm looking for. Sorry if it's already been posted.

I found myself missing spaceships when I was reading the Commonwealth Saga. That doesn't mean that it needs to be entirely spaceship based, or actioney, but I do like them as a part of the universe and also as a setting. So I guess what I'm looking for is something set in the far future that features spaceships in some form or other. Any suggestions?

Bonus, I love the sense of wonder you get from Alastair Reynold's writing. The incomprehensibly tiny feeling that you get from realising just how small you are, and how little we know. Not a requirement, just an addendum.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Khaba posted:

I found myself missing spaceships when I was reading the Commonwealth Saga. That doesn't mean that it needs to be entirely spaceship based, or actioney, but I do like them as a part of the universe and also as a setting. So I guess what I'm looking for is something set in the far future that features spaceships in some form or other. Any suggestions?

Bonus, I love the sense of wonder you get from Alastair Reynold's writing. The incomprehensibly tiny feeling that you get from realising just how small you are, and how little we know. Not a requirement, just an addendum.

Ian M. Banks or Vernor Vinge would be my suggestions. For Vinge look up A Fire Upon the Deep and Deepness in the Sky.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's not spaceshippy at all, but from this:

Khaba posted:

You might like the Spin trilogy. I just finished book two and started book three, and I'm loving it. The series is dominated by a really palpable feeling of mankind being a small and ephemeral phenomenon in a universe that is predominantly occupied by a completely different kind of life, which just pushes my buttons in all the right ways. It seems like some people didn't like book 2 because it didn't really answer any major questions, but that's less of an issue now that the third book is out. I still liked book 2 on its own anyway.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Khaba posted:

Think you might like Ship of Fools (also called Unto Leviathan).

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'll note down the ones I won't be reading right at this moment and get back to them. They all seem like worthy reading. That having been said, I think I may try one of the Vernor Vinge books suggested, as they look to scratch my current itch.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

For Vinge look up A Fire Upon the Deep and Deepness in the Sky.

It looks like Deepness in the Sky is a prequel to A Fire Upon the Deep, but the latter was written first. Is there an order I should read these in?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Khaba posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'll note down the ones I won't be reading right at this moment and get back to them. They all seem like worthy reading. That having been said, I think I may try one of the Vernor Vinge books suggested, as they look to scratch my current itch.

It looks like Deepness in the Sky is a prequel to A Fire Upon the Deep, but the latter was written first. Is there an order I should read these in?

Everyone asks that question, there's no good answer -- I thought about warning you but figured it wasn't worth it. Whatever order you feel like. I think I went order written.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

Khaba posted:

It doesn't matter. They take place thousands of years apart, essentially, and have totally different stories that don't really affect each other. They only thing they share is a certain character. Both excellent, though. If you like one, read the other.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah you can't really go wrong. And those are two of my favorite sci fi books ever.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Khaba, try Stephen Baxter's Xeelee Sequence, or his Manifold series. Both are excellent.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Junkenstein posted:

Think you might like Ship of Fools (also called Unto Leviathan).

Unto Leviathan is the superior title. :colbert:

Also, re: Fire, Deepness; Deepness is better written, Fire has a wider scope and cooler concepts, and they don't affect each other overly much. I'd go with Fire first, still.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Poul Anderson does the best spaceship books. Tau Zero is one of the better ones but he has written dozens.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Neurosis posted:

Unto Leviathan is the superior title. :colbert:

Yeah. I really wanted to read it after it getting mentioned on here all the time, but 'Ship of Fools' wasn't available on kindle in the UK.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Goddamn it, my Kindle broke :( I'd given Night's Dawn a break and was most of the way through Consider Phlebas (Pheblas? Phelbas? Can't remember), and was thoroughly enjoying it. Definitely going to read those Spin books, though, they sound neat.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I used my old Kindle so much the page turn buttons wore out, so I needed to push them 5-6 times for the page to turn.. Luckily the Touch has eliminated that issue. Now all I need to worry about is rubbing off all of the silver finish.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

oTHi posted:

I used my old Kindle so much the page turn buttons wore out, so I needed to push them 5-6 times for the page to turn.. Luckily the Touch has eliminated that issue. Now all I need to worry about is rubbing off all of the silver finish.

As much as I like the E-Ink Kindles, I think I might get a Nexus 7 next.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
B-but your eyes.. I could never go back to reading on LCD again.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Lprsti99 posted:

Goddamn it, my Kindle broke :( I'd given Night's Dawn a break and was most of the way through Consider Phlebas (Pheblas? Phelbas? Can't remember), and was thoroughly enjoying it. Definitely going to read those Spin books, though, they sound neat.

Don't freak out! Download the Kindle app on your computer or phone, you can get all your books again and it'll keep all the page numbers you were up to :)

I have a Kindle, as well as the Kindle app on iPad, and I move between them. I use the cheap Kindle for bus/train reading, then when I get home, iPad is perfect for reading under the covers late at night.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I love my Kindle FIre :3:

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Hedrigall posted:

Don't freak out! Download the Kindle app on your computer or phone, you can get all your books again and it'll keep all the page numbers you were up to :)

I have a Kindle, as well as the Kindle app on iPad, and I move between them. I use the cheap Kindle for bus/train reading, then when I get home, iPad is perfect for reading under the covers late at night.

My books aren't from the Kindle Store :ssh: Last time I checked, the Kindle apps didn't allow outside files. Besides, reading on my phone sucks.

MonkeyBot
Mar 11, 2005

OMG ITZ MONKEYBOT

Lprsti99 posted:

My books aren't from the Kindle Store :ssh: Last time I checked, the Kindle apps didn't allow outside files. Besides, reading on my phone sucks.

The Kindle app on my phone is the default app for PDFs. No idea about other ebook formats though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The actual Kindle, not the app allows sideloading.

On topic: Margaret Weis who did Dragonlance writes some enjoyable Space Opera Lite. Its by no means a complex and deep read, but it was fun. Star of the Guardians, and the more comic Mag Force 7.

• Locked thread