Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
How long after the final deadline should we expect the WISC to start? I imagine it'd take a while for all the teams to be checked for the rules (particularly the 5x5 seems like it'd be a colossal pain, also maybe the clones if there is no easy way for the commissioner to see the total value of a team?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
if there is any interest in an OL rush im going to enter this team sometime soon

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

Groucho Marxist posted:

if there is any interest in an OL rush im going to enter this team sometime soon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wl_uQOABxg

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Well rbow swept the poo poo out of me in the TOC finals and it wasn't particularly close. Can't complain about free money I guess but I was hoping for the big payoff after getting that far.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
gently caress rbow.

gently caress that guy.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
The most deadball start.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

I'm not sure what's happened in that league, but my gimmick walks team has gone from 14-19 to 44-24 without me changing anything. I'm not sure if the fluke is the bad start or the prolonged hot streak.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I, um....

quote:

To put HBD trading into a RL situation, think about Jason Williams. Showing off his guns to his friends after a night of partying. Shoots a cabbie. No evil intent, just a bad decision. Still have a dead cabbie. That's a bad HBD trade. Doesn't have to be intentional cheating to make the situation a lot worse.

Wow.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Wait WHAT?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
So does that make me the Charles Manson of HBD?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

jeffersonlives posted:

So does that make me the Charles Manson of HBD?

Stay at your desk. The WiS police will be there soon. Make no attempt to leave.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Also stop posting on the WiS forums holy poo poo

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

If you don't call out ignorance then ignorance goes unchecked.

I hate that I got dragged in and I'm done now but it reached a point where I couldn't stand by and say nothing.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

They'd rather jump on other idiots who happen by the thread than refute your arguments directly anyway. The HBD forum is pretty much a cesspool.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

AlleyViper posted:

I, um....

Wow.

i thought baseballpimp left that world

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
That's the infamous worst poster alive MikeT in the WIS boards, obviously.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

The sad thing is it seems like a lot of people worship him like he's some golden god of the HBD community.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

jeffersonlives posted:

As a person who has never even looked at the WIS board, I feel now like I have made a good decision.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

I've never understood the whole cash for players argument anyway. Do those people hate the international system too? It's the very essence of cash for players.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Ivan Drago posted:

I've never understood the whole cash for players argument anyway. Do those people hate the international system too? It's the very essence of cash for players.

Or non-reversible waivers, if we're going along that route. I really like cash for players.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

I really like cash for player trades. Without them, there's almost no way to convert smaller amounts of payroll excess into something marginally useful going forward. And they vaguely make marginal prospects more valuable as trading chips to a rebuilding team.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Essentially there's a group of ten or twenty heavy HBD users and forum denizens that are HBD's core player base. Because they're the power users, WIS caters to them, and they have certain ideas. Most of them actually relatively suck at the game aside from rules lawyering their way into advantageous situations and trade rape, but they appeal to each other's authority constantly and turn that board into a cesspool.

Like Mike, the guy who is supposed to be the grand wizard of HBD, has a whopping 3 championships and a .540 record over 100 seasons.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

I don't know why I went and read that thread and now i'm posting here to stop myself from reflexively posting there. The point mike is (intentionally?) missing is that the 5M is probably useless to the guy trading it. This isn't someone bailing AV out because they're buddies. It's someone who put too much money in mlb payroll and is gonna lose it with nothing to show for it. At least this way he's getting a mop up guy. In a sense they're bailing each other out.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

Like Mike, the guy who is supposed to be the grand wizard of HBD, has a whopping 3 championships and a .540 record over 100 seasons.
Which is funny, because he posts stuff like this all the time:

"Yeah, me neither. After all, after making the playoffs 11 times in 37 seasons, you must have lot of secret strategies that we're all craving to find." -MikeT23

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Ivan Drago posted:

I've never understood the whole cash for players argument anyway.

It seems the prevailing argument against is that people feel that you should not be able to have any money above and beyond the 185m you begin with.

Which, I feel like I pretty thoroughly debunked in that thread and, naturally, nobody responded to my post regarding it.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Groucho Marxist posted:

I might be in on an OL rush too. First Second draft of an Oakland Coliseum team where I'm under budget

Guess the theme! http://i.imgur.com/OqGQc.jpg

I'll probably play around with this some more but I've got it to a workable state at least.

e: version 2

Devo fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jul 27, 2012

Operaterp
Apr 6, 2008

FEAR THE TURTLE.

Devo posted:

I might be in on an OL rush too. First Second draft of an Oakland Coliseum team where I'm under budget

Guess the theme! http://i.imgur.com/OqGQc.jpg

I'll probably play around with this some more but I've got it to a workable state at least.

e: version 2

Awesome theme....!

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

Devo posted:

Guess the theme!
I'd join you with my own theme but there has been a disappointing lack of players named Ringo in baseball history.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Ivan Drago posted:

I'd join you with my own theme but there has been a disappointing lack of players named Ringo in baseball history.

Go with members of the 27 club!

Jimi
Jim
Kurt
Brian
Janis(?)

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

foolish_fool posted:

How long after the final deadline should we expect the WISC to start? I imagine it'd take a while for all the teams to be checked for the rules (particularly the 5x5 seems like it'd be a colossal pain, also maybe the clones if there is no easy way for the commissioner to see the total value of a team?).
Late response, but in comparison the final deadline last year was July 30. The first games were simmed August 7, so there was only about a week in between.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
Thanks! I'm pretty keen for it to start & to see what kinds of teams people end up with.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I thinking of entering an OL. Someone give me a theme, because i've got no inspiration right now.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Multiple Bip Roberts and various other Roberts, be it last or first name.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I bought The Baseball Talmud book several years ago, that lists every single Jewish baseball player. I always said I would make a team, but I never ended up doing so. This pitching staff is not so good...

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
Lou Boudreau was Jewish? :stare:

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

The broken bones posted:

Not only that, but so is the reliever Jose Bautista!

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
the obvious piece missing from that team is Hall of Famer Rod Carew

(he converted)

he actually didn't, but his first wife was Jewish and they raised their kids in the tradition

The broken bones posted:

Jewish mother, but raised Catholic, according to Wikipedia

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Spring training just got done in Hometown and my mercenary team full of non-homegrown players is ready to start the season. Basically the experiment/goal of this team is to trade away every prospect ever and just build a super high payroll team with free agents and whatever I can trade for. I'm a little disappointed that I couldn't swing a deal with my first round draft pick yet this season but I might be able to pull something down before the trade deadline.

I'm a little worried about my position player durability which is why I'm running 14 guys out there. I also have fairly aggressive rest settings in place. I think this has the potential to be my best team yet in this world so I'm going to be sad when AV comes in and posts his 130 win juggernaut.

Towers, Barnes, Zapata, and Gorgen are the only players on my 25-man roster that were originally drafted or signed as IFAs by my franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Devo posted:

I'm going to be sad when AV comes in and posts his 130 win juggernaut.

I won 99 games last season and my team is arguably worse now, sooo...

I'm going to be in trouble if someone in my rotation gets hurt.

• Locked thread