Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

The General posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K1RcKJVbHA
I never saw this posted, so I thought I'd share :haw: I would buy this in a heartbeat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oUa-3W0BFI

Duke Nukem reads: 50 Shades of Grey.

There's one point about two minutes in where he actually asks for help on a word "questioningly" that just cracks me up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Tithin Melias posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oUa-3W0BFI

Duke Nukem reads: 50 Shades of Grey.

There's one point about two minutes in where he actually asks for help on a word "questioningly" that just cracks me up

All of this is amazing.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I'm thinking about using one of my Audible credits to get American Gods, but I'm stuck wondering which version is the better one to get...

Should I get the original one, or the anniversary one with an ensemble cast of narrators?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Wade Wilson posted:

I'm thinking about using one of my Audible credits to get American Gods, but I'm stuck wondering which version is the better one to get...

Should I get the original one, or the anniversary one with an ensemble cast of narrators?
the ensemble is far better then it has any right to be

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

blakout posted:

the ensemble is far better then it has any right to be

Thanks, I'll get that one.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Wade Wilson posted:

Thanks, I'll get that one.
The only problem is that I can never envision anybody playing Shadow in a miniseries or movie, except for Vin Deisel, now. ;)

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I really don't see how that's a problem, ha.

Edit: Holy poo poo, this audiobook is awesome. The voice actor for Mr. Wednesday is unbelievably perfect.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 20, 2012

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot
Just picked up "How I paid for College" by Marc Acito. Going to take it on a road trip next week. For what it is, it looks very promising.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Just got an email from Audible where I get to pick a free book from a random selection of five books.

My selection was a bunch of crap books that I was about to ignore, then I saw something called "The Sagan Diary" by John Scalzi and I know I've read him mentioned on here somewhere, so I got it for the hell of it.

Hell, it's free. :effort:

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Wade Wilson posted:

Just got an email from Audible where I get to pick a free book from a random selection of five books.

My selection was a bunch of crap books that I was about to ignore, then I saw something called "The Sagan Diary" by John Scalzi and I know I've read him mentioned on here somewhere, so I got it for the hell of it.

John Scalzi is usually a good read, from memory though The Sagan Diary was more like book 2.5 of the series and you really should read at least Old Man's War (the second book The Ghost Brigades would help too) before listening to it. To be honest, its probably the weakest work he's done.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Anyone else here listen to Escape pod/Clarkesworld/other short story podcasts? The quality is hit or miss, but you can't beat the price. I can't afford to buy audiobooks all the time, so they are great for when I can't find/afford a new audiobook every week.

Do goons recommend audible? I am tempted because it is a controlled cost, and I'm hoping the android app would make listening a lot easier. The credit thing just seems like a big temptation to end up having to buy a lot more credits than you can afford and not end up saving money at all, though. One book a month is way too little, for me anyway.

3spades
Mar 20, 2003

37! My girlfriend sucked 37 dicks!

Customer: In a row?

sdfvnre posted:

I'm hoping the android app would make listening a lot easier.
Its easy to use but that fucker drains battery like nothing should. Every time I am done listening I have to go to the running apps and kill it or it will drain the battery while idle. It averaged 35% of my battery use on 2hours a day listen and using the widget for quick access.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Wade Wilson posted:

Sagan Diary is a little short story that he wrote as sort of a personal journal of one of the characters from his Old Man's War series. Reading it by itself is pretty pointless and the short story itself is pretty lame. I don't even remember if it is a story, just some character's collection of needless thoughts about stuff you already find out about her in the books.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

3spades posted:

Its easy to use but that fucker drains battery like nothing should. Every time I am done listening I have to go to the running apps and kill it or it will drain the battery while idle. It averaged 35% of my battery use on 2hours a day listen and using the widget for quick access.
Jesus, dude. What phone do you have? I often listen to audible all day long and have half a charge left at least.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

savinhill posted:

The only versions I've heard are the ones read by Roy Dotrice and a Feast for Crows read by John Lee. I love the Dotrice narration but Lee does a good job on AFFC and his style actually fits that book pretty well. There are some samples of the audiobooks on youtube if you want to check out Dotrice's voice before you buy them.

Why the hell did Detrice change his voice for Melisandre in ADWD? It was so awesome before, it made her sound really menacing and manipulative. Now she sounds like an old Chinese sterotype :(

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Farecoal posted:

Why the hell did Detrice change his voice for Melisandre in ADWD? It was so awesome before, it made her sound really menacing and manipulative. Now she sounds like an old Chinese sterotype :(
I believe that the general consensus is that there was far too much time before ADWD came out, and he didn't go back and bother to remember what the voices he'd used previously, sounded like.

Personally, it makes me feel like he phoned it in.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

coyo7e posted:

I believe that the general consensus is that there was far too much time before ADWD came out, and he didn't go back and bother to remember what the voices he'd used previously, sounded like.

Personally, it makes me feel like he phoned it in.

He got most of them right though, as far as I can tell, just not Melisandre and Daenarys. Oh well, he's a great narrator anyway. I just hope he's still alive/able to read by the time the last book comes out.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Got an email this morning from Audible saying that there are now some audiobooks for The Chronicles of Amber.

The Corwin books are narrated by Allesandro Juliani, the Merlin books are narrated by Whil Wheaton.

I have no idea who the first guy is, but I'm glad Wheaton isn't narrating for Corwin because I just can't see him being a good voice for the character (Merlin is debatable).

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

Wade Wilson posted:

Got an email this morning from Audible saying that there are now some audiobooks for The Chronicles of Amber.

The Corwin books are narrated by Allesandro Juliani, the Merlin books are narrated by Whil Wheaton.

I have no idea who the first guy is, but I'm glad Wheaton isn't narrating for Corwin because I just can't see him being a good voice for the character (Merlin is debatable).

This guy:

Both kind of weird choices in my opinion (Wheaton more than Juliani I think)... but I'll have to see how I feel about it when I listen to them. I read the books as a teenager, and I'll probably pick them up again on Audible.

Sepherothic
Feb 8, 2003

Just finished The Making of the Atomic Bomb.

Holy crap was this book good. Good and long.

In depth, entertaining, and deeply philosophical at points. If you like history, or science or nonfiction this is an absolute must read.

Unfortunately it isn't available on Audible, but the audiobook does exist. I found a ripped copy of the cassette tape version on the internet, not impeccable quality but it worked. I hope this gets on audible though, I would buy it just to have it.

Seriously, this is probably one of best books I have ever read. I am kind of going through reading withdrawal right now. Goddamn THIS loving BOOK.

In other News...

If you liked The Disapearing Spoon - and Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements then you'll be glad to know Sam Keane just came out with a new book.

The Violinists Thumb - And Other Lost Tales of Love, War, and Genius, as Written by Our Genetic Code

Haven't read it yet, but I really enjoyed the disappearing spoon. Hopefully he can do genetics justice.

Sepherothic fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 4, 2012

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

I started listening to Red Shirts today by John Scalzi and I am loving it so far. It's a fun book and I think I get more amusement from it as audio than I would reading it on paper.

For those who don't know, it's a recent sci-fi novel and a satire of Star Trek. New recruits notice odd things about their crew, like how the new guys who go on adventure missions wind up dead. It's the first audiobook that has really made me laugh while driving though I seldom listen to comedies.

On the surface it's a book that pokes fun at the cheesy idiosyncrasies of the original Star Trek series, but it feels ( and I hope) that the book will it take to farther, more interesting places, as it goes on. I'm only about two hours in and Wheaton is doing a great job as narrator.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Wade Wilson posted:

Was this really necessary? I listened to the ones from Sunset Productions voiced by Zealazny himself a few years ago, they they were more than adequate. I quite enjoyed them, actually.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Bhodi posted:

Was this really necessary? I listened to the ones from Sunset Productions voiced by Zealazny himself a few years ago, they they were more than adequate. I quite enjoyed them, actually.

Yeah, I'd rather have Roger read them himself.

I think the best solution BTW for rendering the AA files to mp3 (or ogg or whatever) without DRM is Total Recorder. 'Nuff said.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Wade Wilson posted:

But... George... :swoon:

He just makes listening to a book so great.

And I have a new favorite narrator, Jonathan Davis. He did the audiobook for Snow Crash, but it was Shadow of the Torturer and the New Sun series that did me in for him. He's really a master, and that book is incredible. It was really interesting listening to Origins of Political Order a nonfiction book in Severian's voice afterwards. Right now I'm halfway through Earth Abides which is another great performance. Next up is his narration of a Gengis Khan bio.

Womyn Capote fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 10, 2012

Gruyurg
Aug 9, 2012
Last week, I finished listening to Stephen Colbert's new book I Am A Pole (And So Can You.)
The audiobook really adds more than just the book alone. I never heard of this "Tom Hanks" guy, but he's without a doubt going to be a superstar in the audiobook industry.

DocRanger
Mar 13, 2012
John Scalzi's Redshirts read by Wil Wheaton. Three thumbs up. (one for the plot, one for the humour, one for pretty decent delivery by Wesley).

In case you didn't read it - it's about a group of four Ensigns on a spaceship that's suspiciously similar to Enterprise... but it's also about death and love and identity, and it's still pretty engrossing.

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007

DocRanger posted:

John Scalzi's Redshirts read by Wil Wheaton. Three thumbs up. (one for the plot, one for the humour, one for pretty decent delivery by Wesley).

In case you didn't read it - it's about a group of four Ensigns on a spaceship that's suspiciously similar to Enterprise... but it's also about death and love and identity, and it's still pretty engrossing.

I just finished listening to this book too. It's good, and I really enjoyed it, but I almost couldn't get into it because of the 'Dal said', 'Duvall said', 'Dal said' that Scalzi puts at the end of every bit of dialog.

DocRanger
Mar 13, 2012
I know, right? It bothered me at first, but later on I started to ignore it.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I liked Redshirts until the prologues which really threw me off being in past tense second person or whatever. Wheaton was absolutely perfect for the narration though.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Wheaton is a great narrator but only for first person characters who tend to be insufferable snarky jerks. Which is what Scalzi almost always writes, so win-win.

And yeah, Redshirts was fun but felt like only 2/3rds of a book with the ending happening far too quickly and everything going to plan perfectly. I felt like his publisher was like "You need to add more padding to the end or else people will feel like this is a novella and we couldn't sell it for as much" so he added the pointless codas.

I felt the same way about Fuzzy Nation, as my copy of the audiobook had included the original Fuzzy Nation in the end without me knowing, so the book ended when the audiobook was only half over. Both were fun reads, but somehow I felt like there should have been a final act.

TV-Analogy: Sort of like how most recent It's Always Sunny episodes feel compared to recent Curb Your Enthusiasms. Adult Swim shows get away with only writing one act worth of material before the end, Sunny does about 2 acts worth, but Curb always feels like a full three acts, so to speak.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Anyone listen to the Game of Thrones/ASoIF audiobooks? There seems to be a couple of narrators, and I'm not sure which one to go with.

Also, is a Audible Gold membership worth it? If I understand correctly, it seems I can get one books of the series free every month for $14.95, whereas if I bought them individually they'd cost me $31.95 a month apiece. Is that how the monthly credit works?

e: used wrong word

Geektox fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 21, 2012

Izz
May 1, 2006

I cannot comment on the other narrators, but Roy Dotrice reads ASOIAF books very well (and he has now done all five books) and his character voices are great (my only criticism is that he did change the voices of a couple of characters between two of the earlier books which was a bit jarring).

I used Audible credits to purchase the ASOIAF audiobooks, getting half a book each month with a credit and saving myself £6 on the regular price each time so I think it's worth it.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I thought Roy Dotrice didn't do the fourth book due to health problems and when he came back to do the 5th book like 5 years later he had forgotten half of his voices or such.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Geektox posted:

Anyone listen to the Game of Thrones/ASoIF audiobooks? There seems to be a couple of narrators, and I'm not sure which one to go with.

Also, is a Audible Gold membership worth it? If I understand correctly, it seems I can get one books of the series free every month for $14.95, whereas if I bought them individually they'd cost me $31.95 a month apiece. Is that how the monthly credit works?

e: used wrong word

I went to the 2 credit subscribe after 6 months or so, and now I am gonna ease back a bit since I have been getting a ton of audiobooks but not having time to get to them all yet. I love having a half dozen books I haven't read yet, in every device I own. Great for walks and biking and stuff.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

jeeves posted:

I thought Roy Dotrice didn't do the fourth book due to health problems and when he came back to do the 5th book like 5 years later he had forgotten half of his voices or such.

Dotrice couldn't do a Feast for Crows originally so John Lee narrated it. However, Dotrice did record a new version of AFFC after coming back to do a Dance with Dragons. His narration did fall off somewhat due to so much time passing since he recorded the first three books and becoming a very old man. His narration of the first three books is excellent and is one of the reasons why they're some of my favorite audiobooks.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I'm listening my way through the third book now, and enjoying it, but one thing has occurred to me: fictional sex scenes are a lot creepier when you're listening to some old man read them out loud, especially when he's doing a woman's voice or something.

There have been several points in this series so far where I have to cringe as I listen to Roy Dotrice describe someone's glistening hard member :gonk:

I seriously can't stand listening to these fantasy novel sex scenes. Call me prude I guess. I seem to remember that there were also a few choice scenes in Dan Simmon's "The Terror."

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Maybe you should try some self-help books about overcoming your personal sexual hangups.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

coyo7e posted:

Maybe you should try some self-help books about overcoming your personal sexual hangups.

Can you recommend any books that deal with my specific hangup? It involves being turned off by listening to extended graphic descriptions of a mishappen dwarf having sex with a prostitute, read by an old man impersonating a woman's voice.

Thesaurus fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 22, 2012

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I just marked a book I didn't care for at 2 stars and Audible immediately offered to let me return it and get a new book free. I thought this was super cool and wanted to share. Please do not loving abuse this like a bunch of slickdeals douchebags, thank you in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Thesaurus posted:

Can you recommend any books that deal with my specific hangup? It involves being turned off by listening to extended graphic descriptions of a mishappen dwarf having sex with a prostitute, read by an old man impersonating a woman's voice.
Don't start with The Bible.