Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

SpookyLizard posted:

first i just wanna say that this thread owns, especially you cream-of-plenty.

secondly, Project Neveda is being dumb and apparently the .esp's (Rebalance and Cyberware) have the headers of .esm files. Are these safe to enable, is there a fix, or should i not bother with them. I don't have any huge desire to use them, I'm just curious.

Also, is A World of Pain any good? I've heard mixed things and I didn't see it in the OP.

Thanks, glad you're enjoying it!

Project Nevada does indeed have some files acting as masters, and they are perfectly safe to enable. What the PN team did here is an old trick, and won't hurt your game at all.

Also, if you can find an older copy of World of Pain, you should be good. The reason it was removed from the OP is because the mod has grown to become a bloated, sloppy mess. Will some people still enjoy the mod? Definitely. But it's been panned by the community as a perfect example of a modder not knowing when to stop and start a new project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Marvili posted:

I've been running into a bit of a problem with CCO's damage resistance module - I'm playing a character with the Determined trait (15 permanent damage threshold in exchange for being able to use chems) and into the past (5 damage threshold and 3 crit when wearing a piece of pre-war clothing), and my Pip-boy is showing me as having 27 DT but only 17 DR, despite the fact that I'm using all light armor. Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: When I remove the pre-war hat my damage threshold goes down by five, but my DR stays the same. Very strange.

Edit2: Got my DT up to 24 without the hat and my DR goes up to 19 as expected, seems to be a problem with how the into the past perk works with DR.
A quick glance in the GECK reveals what the problem is: Into the Past (and others) use an entry point to modify your DT, but Determined uses an actor effect. The DR module would only work well with actor effects.

A few minutes of work in the GECK should fix that oversight. Thanks for letting me know.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

Also, is A World of Pain any good? I've heard mixed things and I didn't see it in the OP.

There are a lot of good ideas, but at this point, like CoP said, it's pretty bloated. Last I checked he decided to tone down the loot, however.

I still kinda like it, if only for the spelunking of dungeons. The author's map layouts are interesting to explore, if a little confusing every once and awhile.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

SpookyLizard posted:

This happened when I tried World of Pain:

Shooting things got tedious.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I'll hold off on it for now. Is there any good, lower level 'new' content? I've played the game since launch on a console, fooled around with it on PC a bit after I earlier this year, and am playing it again since the summer sale has got a bunch of people talking about it again so i'm satisfying my need for post nuclear wasteland cowboys. But I'd like to deviate from what I've done plenty of times before, because if I have to I'll end up just killing everything in sight.

If I do feel like hunting down a less lovely version of AWOP, is there a recommended 'good' version number?

Also, out of curiosity, would it be possible to sort of duplicate Signature Weapon? I love it, but I'd love to be able to have a bit more variety.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

SpookyLizard posted:

I'll hold off on it for now. Is there any good, lower level 'new' content? I've played the game since launch on a console, fooled around with it on PC a bit after I earlier this year, and am playing it again since the summer sale has got a bunch of people talking about it again so i'm satisfying my need for post nuclear wasteland cowboys. But I'd like to deviate from what I've done plenty of times before, because if I have to I'll end up just killing everything in sight.

There aren't very many mods that add new quests or locations, especially geared for lower levels. Because of that, I was initially going to suggest getting all of the DLC, but I'm not sure if you have them already. I've found that a lot of them are much more enjoyable at lower levels, though. Failing that, the quests listed in the OP (like New Vegas Bounties + Tales from the Burning Sands) might be your best bet, though the former is known to get pretty tough.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Naky posted:

Nexus has made a 'superstar' of some dude named Alchestbreach or whatever on youtube. He reviews most of the popular Fallout/FNV/gamebryo engine and a few other games' mods. I personally haven't watched his videos but he's immensely popular, I know that much.

Promise me you never will watch his videos. Jesus Christ. (Gopher rules, though, thanks y'all!)

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I've got New Vegas Bounties in, I was gonna get going on that when I get up around Vegas (tbh i was there at level one, but i just needed my int implant.) I probably will hit up honest hearts soon, after I stock up on a lot more .357 ammo. That or OWB.

(oh an gopher is great)

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Johnny is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all bangers

Without posting my load order of way too many mods, I'm guessing my "Walk as far as the saloon in Goodsprings and then textures start loving up and half of my keybindings don't do anything" problem is caused by having way too many mods?

Will making a bash patch help that or do I just need to have willpower and kill a bunch of my mods?

Midrena
May 2, 2009

Yip Yips posted:

If you don't mind, what's your load order with these? I'm very concerned with stability, which is why I was really hesitant to just toss on two dozen mods.

Like CoP mentioned, I just let FOMM use BOSS to auto-sort it (there's an option in the drop-down menu to do this). My game works fine and is stable.

Also, it's been brought up, but I just want to emphasize that the important thing is to not throw in two dozen mods at once. I basically installed 1-2 mods at a time and checked to see if the game ran. It took a lot longer, of course, but it also makes it so that you see immediately if something is a problem.

Real example: I installed Director's Chair -- this gives you an in-game menu thing for lighting/image mods so you can adust them more easily -- but forgot to install Cinematech (I already had Imaginator and Dynavision, its two other required mods, installed). When I ran the game, it immediately crashed before it really got to the loading screen. Because the only new thing I'd installed was DC and the game had loaded just fine before that, I knew to look specifically at DC and read the instructions again carefully to see what the hell the problem was. And that's when I realized I hadn't actually installed one of its required mods. :downs:

Edit: One thing. When you're adding/activating mods with FOMM, activate Unified HUD last because it will auto-detect various other mods that modify the HUD and makes them all play nice together. If you've already activated it, then deactivate and reactivate and it'll work fine (you need to do this anyway if you install more stuff that modifies the HUD, check Unified HUD's readme). Afterward just let BOSS sort them and then done.

Midrena fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jul 26, 2012

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

Where is the armor in PoliceAutomaton's armor mod located?

Beaumont
Dec 12, 2011

Gyshall posted:

I think I've finally got my Happy Hardcore Load Order for Immersion and Difficulty (TM) - for some reason FOMM is reporting DUI and IWR at the end (but they're not!):

Quick question - how're you consolidating CCO's companion tweaks with your custom companions? I like CCO's reduced carryweight/damage companions, but Sunny Smiles is running arund with 130lbs of carry weight and for some reason so is Veronica. Is it something you just have to resign yourself to, or is there a workaround?

I was a little disappointed with Puce Moose's Speed-E-Wheels. Admittedly, my latest run started in Freeside so your mileage may vary, but after a solid 20 or so hours in the North/Central Vegas area I've only found and repaired 2 Fast Travel Stations - one in the Sharecropper Farms, and another right by The Strip's Freeside entrance. Having to repair the terminals seems more trouble than it's worth for something that isn't conveniently located - I end up just huffing it across the map to McCarran, Westside, North Vegas, Fiend Territory, and then back to Freeside.

And if anyone's a little bored with how their character looks, I suggest giving Playable Lobotomites a try. Mess with the tone around your eyes, etc. to get a little bit more normal looking, and you just end up looking like a guy who's seen some poo poo.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Upmarket Mango posted:

If you can wait a day or two until I get back to my own computer I can upload a version of Western Skies which has all traces of the sandstorm weather removed. I don't know if it'll fix your stats or not but it's worth a try I'd say.

That would be amazing. I'm far too something to be able to start the game over and still enjoy it.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

In regards to Electro-City, the one thing that really bothered me was the huge fuckoff electricians' plant/base north of Novac. It was sprawling and unnecessary and pointless.
The latest version doesn't have the HQ enabled.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

So I installed the Armory, and at first was slightly disappointed that none of the handguns were quite as cool, to me at least, as A Light Shining in The Darkness.

But then I grabbed all the shotguns outta the cabinets, and long story short, Goodsprings is all dead, I'm out of Coinshot, and The Armory owns bones.

Traveller In Time
Apr 4, 2009

You got anything to eat? I haven't eaten anything since later this afternoon.

Gyshall posted:

I think I've finally got my Happy Hardcore Load Order for Immersion and Difficulty (TM) - for some reason FOMM is reporting DUI and IWR at the end (but they're not!):

http://pastebin.com/PpREEksu

Which I'll be adding The Armory cabinet on top of, don't worry.

I have one question that I'm curious about, however - does anyone have input on consequences/ramifications of making an ESP file that takes all of the (GRA) tags off of weapons from Gun Runners Arsenal? I know how to do it and am relatively positive it would be easy to do (if time consuming) - I think the only thing that I'd have issues with was certain weapon mods not working for the GRA weapons - and not knowing exactly why in-game. Is this correct?

Did you merge all the CCO patches into a single file? Do they still work OK in game?

And that's correct, as far as I'm aware. If the weapon mod didn't work you could try converting it to it's GRA/Standard counterpart at a bench, but in a lot of cases WMX gives different types of mods to the GRA version of the weapon that can't be converted/used on the vanilla version.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Beaumont posted:

Quick question - how're you consolidating CCO's companion tweaks with your custom companions? I like CCO's reduced carryweight/damage companions, but Sunny Smiles is running arund with 130lbs of carry weight and for some reason so is Veronica. Is it something you just have to resign yourself to, or is there a workaround?

I was a little disappointed with Puce Moose's Speed-E-Wheels. Admittedly, my latest run started in Freeside so your mileage may vary, but after a solid 20 or so hours in the North/Central Vegas area I've only found and repaired 2 Fast Travel Stations - one in the Sharecropper Farms, and another right by The Strip's Freeside entrance. Having to repair the terminals seems more trouble than it's worth for something that isn't conveniently located - I end up just huffing it across the map to McCarran, Westside, North Vegas, Fiend Territory, and then back to Freeside.

The "Tweaks.esp" has all that stuff in it. I basically just took the values from the existing followers tweaks and applied them to Marcus/Sunny Smiles/etc. Pretty easy to do in FNVedit.

I also really like Speed-E Wheels. I think it is the perfect compromise between Fast Travel and No Fast Travel. With Project Nevada's sprinting, it is pretty easy to get around still.

Traveller In Time posted:

Did you merge all the CCO patches into a single file? Do they still work OK in game?

And that's correct, as far as I'm aware. If the weapon mod didn't work you could try converting it to it's GRA/Standard counterpart at a bench, but in a lot of cases WMX gives different types of mods to the GRA version of the weapon that can't be converted/used on the vanilla version.

For some reason the CCO patches are not showing up in that load order report. Something is hosed up with FOMM load order reporting.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Longshot007 posted:

Where is the armor in PoliceAutomaton's armor mod located?

Behind the goodsprings general store in the cabinets, providing you have the cabinet .esp loaded.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Crowetron posted:

So I installed the Armory, and at first was slightly disappointed that none of the handguns were quite as cool, to me at least, as A Light Shining in The Darkness.

But then I grabbed all the shotguns outta the cabinets, and long story short, Goodsprings is all dead, I'm out of Coinshot, and The Armory owns bones.

The shotguns are a lot of fun. I'm a fan of the Mossberg 590a myself. :clint:

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

The city looks almost bearable from up here.

natlampe posted:

The latest version [of electro city] doesn't have the HQ enabled.

This is true. In the latest version he made his signs smaller and got rid of the HQ, which is what prompted me to go ahead and install it.

Even without that, i've still run into EC caravan after caravan, generators the size of large houses dotting the wasteland. Although, in it's defense, the engineers that the mod creates have been useful cannon fodder distracting the throngs of legion assassins that are after me. I swear jswayer must have done something to those encounters because they're by far the most difficult fights for me now and I don't remember having to watch my rear end like this in my older playthroughs.

quote:

I am loving the game with Speed E Wheels/no fast travel. I admit I'm having trouble finding a station around freeside (although i did just get here) but they've been well placed around the wasteland so far, does a great job of keeping MY IMMERSION, and I think the repairing aspect of it is a nice twist. I remember scouring Nipton for one drat fission battery and eventually just giving up.

I think it definitely needs a spot in the OP, it always bothered me how well Morrowind did the fast-travel system almost perfectly and I never saw the system used again.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Another mod that I've been using in favor of lootable old cars - Loot All Cars Trucks Golf Carts Vehicles, which is pretty good. I like it over Lootable Old Cars primarily because a majority of the vehicles have a chance to have no loot at all, where Lootable Old Cars almost guarantees you loot whenever you open the inventory.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Cirosan posted:

A quick glance in the GECK reveals what the problem is: Into the Past (and others) use an entry point to modify your DT, but Determined uses an actor effect. The DR module would only work well with actor effects.

A few minutes of work in the GECK should fix that oversight. Thanks for letting me know.

Will this be save game compatible?

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Rabhadh posted:

Will this be save game compatible?
Absolutely. There will be no adverse effects at all - I'm just changing a few perk values, very harmless stuff.

@ Gyshall & co. RE: Follower Tweaks
I'm looking into a way to make the follower tweaks universal for all NPCs hired by the player, similar to how the Born Leader perk from Classic Perks works. For some reason, early builds aren't behaving. I'll keep you posted.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Speaking of followers, are there any recommended mods for multiple companions and/or making them essential?

Also, is there any other way to move stuff around for aHud/oHud other than MCM? It's so terribly slow.

Fake Edit: And earlier this year I was steered away from the Armory on the grounds that it had a whole lot of poo poo and it suffered for it. Is this still the case, or has it been improved and cleaned up and stuff?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

SpookyLizard posted:

Fake Edit: And earlier this year I was steered away from the Armory on the grounds that it had a whole lot of poo poo and it suffered for it. Is this still the case, or has it been improved and cleaned up and stuff?

Errr. I don't know what you mean. 2.5 was a huge emphasis on quality and we've only been fixing, improving, and adding since then. The Armory is really just a resource mod to allow people to use a large variety of weapons to suit their character needs or their own preferences. We don't cater to any specific type of player. I can, with authority, say that there really is something for everyone in it but it's up to you if you want to try it or how you want to use it.

Funny how we hear feedback like that third hand though. We've always been open to it and yet never seem to get it.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

SpookyLizard posted:

Speaking of followers, are there any recommended mods for multiple companions and/or making them essential?
I thought companions already were essential but there's a setessential console command that you could try.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I thought companions already were essential but there's a setessential console command that you could try.

They're not essential in hardcore mode.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Naky posted:

Errr. I don't know what you mean. 2.5 was a huge emphasis on quality and we've only been fixing, improving, and adding since then. The Armory is really just a resource mod to allow people to use a large variety of weapons to suit their character needs or their own preferences. We don't cater to any specific type of player. I can, with authority, say that there really is something for everyone in it but it's up to you if you want to try it or how you want to use it.

Funny how we hear feedback like that third hand though. We've always been open to it and yet never seem to get it.

I've never used it, I was just referred away to it on some grounds that I'm sort of foggy on, but the general gist was that there was a whole of poo poo and not enough good. I'm still fiddling about with what I like though, so I figure I'll give it a try at some point.

When I say earlier this year, btw, I mean like early January.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

They are not essential in hardcore mode, and it's one of the few things I dislike about hardcore mode.

Beaumont
Dec 12, 2011
I've somehow screwed up the Delay DLC mod, and the Sierra Madre broadcast isn't appearing no matter how close I get to the Abandoned Bunker. I try and enter the bunker itself but the bunker's locked. I realise that the Delay DLC mod makes you listen to the entire broadcast before the station appears permanently, but the Madre broadcast just never shows up. Is there a way to fix this that doesn't involve creating a clean save? I don't want to disable DLC and eff up my character/inventory/mods etc.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

SpookyLizard posted:

I've never used it, I was just referred away to it on some grounds that I'm sort of foggy on, but the general gist was that there was a whole of poo poo and not enough good. I'm still fiddling about with what I like though, so I figure I'll give it a try at some point.

Well, I guess you'll have to try it for yourself one day and form your own opinion. That kind of feedback is too vague for me to really take seriously though because I'm not sure what they even mean by it. I could see how an immersionist might be disappointed with the pack, but as I said we don't cater to any one type of player and is meant to be a resource in a variety of different ways.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

So I've eliminated pretty much all conflicts, but I still get random crashes occasionally. Any good tips for avoiding them? That auto-PCB mod, maybe?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Naky posted:

Well, I guess you'll have to try it for yourself one day and form your own opinion. That kind of feedback is too vague for me to really take seriously though because I'm not sure what they even mean by it. I could see how an immersionist might be disappointed with the pack, but as I said we don't cater to any one type of player and is meant to be a resource in a variety of different ways.

That's what I was thinking about doing. I'm actually redownloading NV from steam so I can always have a pure vanilla copy for fooling about with. Trying to be a bit more careful about installing mods and preventing conflicts.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

SplitSoul posted:

So I've eliminated pretty much all conflicts, but I still get random crashes occasionally. Any good tips for avoiding them? That auto-PCB mod, maybe?

The auto-PCB mod in the OP with the warning that it increases the frequency of CTDs? :smugdog:

Real talk, your game is going to crash from time to time. It's pretty much a feature of the Gamebryo engine, and something you'll never eliminate. How often do you crash now?

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.
Crashing every couple of hours is a feature. It's gamebryo's way of telling you to stop playing and go outside.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

sean10mm posted:

The shotguns are a lot of fun. I'm a fan of the Mossberg 590a myself. :clint:

Oh, indeed.

Oddly enough, it looks like my actual 590A1. I just need to get around to buying a heatshield and having the barrel threaded for a choke :haw:

I've been poking around making a new game lately, but for some reason I cannot mod any of my guns. I have the gun I want to mod, the mods I want to add, and the little prompt to mod the weapon lights up on my Pipboy. I hit the proper button to start attaching poo poo, but nothing happens.

What would cause this?

E:

Figured it out, just had to install a fresh build of the weapon mod menu mod. Pretty sad that I have a fairly decent idea of what's breaking poo poo considering I haven't played this in nearly a year.

Beeb fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 27, 2012

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SpookyLizard posted:

I've used this without any problems: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/36647.
Just make sure to put it towards the end of your mods list so it doesn't get overridden.

Also, for those with AMD cards experiencing the weird pixellation from transparency multisampling, using the flora overhaul in the OP helps a bit. The problem's still there, but it's a lot less obvious with the new grass textures.
I swear I found a mod that fixed it at some point, but I've completely forgotten what it was.

e. I've also used this for unlimited companions http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/44924

CATTASTIC fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 27, 2012

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Capn Beeb posted:

Oddly enough, it looks like my actual 590A1. I just need to get around to buying a heatshield and having the barrel threaded for a choke :haw:

Shotgun lovers will be a little sad with 3.0. We only have 4 shotgun additions... buuuuut there is a fairly decent sawn off remington 870 that people will probably appreciate.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
So I've got a nice clean install of new vegas backed up, and i'm ready to start trying out mods left and right. And I've already hit a snag. I'm getting horrible hangs on exiting NV. Can somebody point me in the right direction for what's being a horrible jerk?

load order posted:

[X] FalloutNV.esm
[X] DeadMoney.esm
[X] HonestHearts.esm
[X] OldWorldBlues.esm
[X] LonesomeRoad.esm
[X] Project Nevada - Core.esm
[X] Project Nevada - Equipment.esm
[X] GunRunnersArsenal.esm
[X] Advanced Recon Tech.esm
[X] Detect Traps.esm
[X] Selective Fire.esm
[X] oHUD.esm
[ ] Project Nevada - Rebalance.esp
[ ] Project Nevada - Cyberware.esp
[X] DarNifiedUINV.esp
[X] The Mod Configuration Menu.esp
[X] Project Nevada - Dead Money.esp
[X] Project Nevada - Honest Hearts.esp
[X] Project Nevada - Old World Blues (No Cyberware).esp
[X] Project Nevada - Lonesome Road.esp
[X] Project Nevada - Gun Runners' Arsenal.esp
[X] Selective Fire - Project Nevada.esp
[X] Detect Traps - Perk.esp
[X] Detect Traps - Traponator 4000.esp
[X] Detect Traps - DLC.esp
[X] Advanced Recon Gear.esp
[X] Advanced Recon Tech.esp
[X] Advanced Recon Tech - Detect Traps.esp
[X] Advanced Recon Gear-Locations Doc Mitchell.esp
[X] Advanced Recon Armor.esp
[X] Advanced Recon Armor-Easier Stealth.esp
[X] Advanced Recon Armor-Location Doc Mitchell.esp
[X] Advanced Recon Desert Ranger Helmet.esp
[X] Advanced Recon Range Finder.esp
[X] Advanced Recon Gear - Project Nevada.esp
[X] Quick Trade.esp

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I thought exit crashing/hanging was an old Gamebryo standby since Oblivion or maybe even Morrowind?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The auto-PCB mod in the OP with the warning that it increases the frequency of CTDs? :smugdog:

Real talk, your game is going to crash from time to time. It's pretty much a feature of the Gamebryo engine, and something you'll never eliminate. How often do you crash now?

It's just that, in the past, I've had repeatable crashes on area transition that were fixed by PCB, so I thought it might make a difference in general to have it running automated.

I crash about every half hour to 45 minutes with no discernible culprit. It'll just CTD walking around the wasteland or towns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Naky posted:

Shotgun lovers will be a little sad with 3.0. We only have 4 shotgun additions... buuuuut there is a fairly decent sawn off remington 870 that people will probably appreciate.

If you can get the Zorg gun from the Fifth Element in there, I may never play another game again.