Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

With a new filter in there, it builds up a small film of ice on the pipes, and melts off repeatedly, and cycles like this every half hour or so. Isn't that the way it's supposed to work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Motronic posted:

The big benefit of an expansion valve as a phase change device is that the window of acceptable feed pressures (therefore refrigerant charges and compressor health) is much wider than a (fixed) capillary tube due to the fact that the expansion valve adjusts based on the temperature of the refrigerant leaving the evaporator to prevent it from dropping below freezing as well as making it more efficient when it does have sufficient charge.

Yes. I would have typed pretty much that exact thing, but thermodynamics, The Rankine cycle, and refrigeration in general still mystify even the average AI goon. Glad to know I'm (still) not insane!

Motronic posted:

It in no way allows you to cheat physics and humidity by running the evaporator below freezing. I froze the poo poo out of the one in my Porsche last year after an AC repair when I was impatiently refilling the system too quickly on a 100 degree 90+% humidity day.

:crossarms:
I know you're smarter than this, Motronic. Its why I like you. (Except when you did stupid poo poo and got banned those two times. The loathing only lasted a few days though.)

:glomp:

I didn't say it dipped below freezing for LONG... (The capillary tube to the cutoff switch takes finite time to transfer the temperature and move the bellows and lever and spring...)

Plus there is the fact that the switch just kills the compressor. The high pressure side is still pressurized, so it continues to cool for a while until the entropy is equalized on both sides...

(Either that or my 89 Wagovan truly is a miracle with "-OL" (My IR therm goes down to -4F)temps when pointed AT (Not into, IR doesn't work(With any accuracy.) like that...) the vent louvers with the A/C on after half an hour of driving...)

Warning: The above post contains 250% of the RDI of nested parenthesis and ellipsis. For this we apologize and recommend a brain flush.

Powershift posted:

With a new filter in there, it builds up a small film of ice on the pipes, and melts off repeatedly, and cycles like this every half hour or so. Isn't that the way it's supposed to work?

Yes. This is the A/C equivalent of the steak that has a trickle of blood running off the one edge and onto the blotter thing on the tray, you know its fresh and in good shape.

Half hour? Should be cycling more like every 3-4 minutes, unless you're currently in one of the :supaburn: states with nutty heatwaves. Protip: Set the bled door to recirc when running A/C (Leave it on fresh vent for like the first 5 minutes though, when the outside air is probably cooler than the sweat-box that is any parked car in the 2nd half of July.) for two reasons. First: This improves efficiency because the air going in to the evaporator assembly is cooler to begin with, and there is less overall latent heat to be removed. Second: It helps keep your system from getting that three day's out truckdriver-crotch smell because it's not being fed air with 95% Relative Humidity all the time...

Edit: Every year I have the urge to start a "Cupholders? More like ice-cube trays! The AI A/C Megathread. Today's lucky number: 609." thread sometime in June, but, yeah...

:effort:

Then July rolls around and there's already A/C chat in half a dozen threads...

Sponge! fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 24, 2012

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

This photo doesn't properly show off how this truck was blowing out enough smoke to turn all six lanes of US60 into a white haze. Or the crazy old gently caress driving it and periodically looking out the back to see just how much smoke it was spewing.

He was also doing 80 at the time.

Sponge! posted:

Edit: Every year I have the urge to start a "Cupholders? More like ice-cube trays! The AI A/C Megathread. Today's lucky number: 609." thread sometime in June, but, yeah...

:effort:

Then July rolls around and there's already A/C chat in half a dozen threads...

What, like the one revmoo started in March?

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

:blush: Great minds think alike?

Also, smoke or not, just the fact that truck was doing 80 is terrifying.

Actually, nm, its a chassis swap upon closer inspection. Not entirely as impressive then.

Edit:

vvvvvvvv Too blue for diesel I think. vvvvvvv

Sponge! fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 25, 2012

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sponge! posted:

:blush: Great minds think alike?

Actually, nm, its a chassis swap upon closer inspection. Not entirely as impressive then.

My question: Was it diesel? And if it was, permission to pull him to the side of the road and starting beating his face in.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sponge! posted:

Even with a chassis swap (and just because they're Mustang wheels doesn't mean it's sitting on an actual Mustang platform, and not just something with hacked in Mustang bits) the body work was so terrible and barely held on that doing any speed in this must've been terrifying. I didn't see this because I was driving but according to my wife, the front end was held on with tie straps.

CommieGIR posted:

My question: Was it diesel? And if it was, permission to pull him to the side of the road and starting beating his face in.

No idea if it was a diesel or not, and it looked to me like the smoke was billowing out from right up at the back of the engine / front of the transmission - you could see a good-sized jet coming down from there. My gut is either major fluid leak or extra-major exhaust leak, except I would think an exhaust leak like that would be insanely loud too.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Even with a chassis swap (and just because they're Mustang wheels doesn't mean it's sitting on an actual Mustang platform, and not just something with hacked in Mustang bits) the body work was so terrible and barely held on that doing any speed in this must've been terrifying. I didn't see this because I was driving but according to my wife, the front end was held on with tie straps.

No idea if it was a diesel or not, and it looked to me like the smoke was billowing out from right up at the back of the engine / front of the transmission - you could see a good-sized jet coming down from there. My gut is either major fluid leak or extra-major exhaust leak, except I would think an exhaust leak like that would be insanely loud too.

Don't forget wicked-bad-blow-by(to use a cartalk phrase.) coming out everywhere! That is always a truly horrible mechanical failure.

Pretty sure that body never expected to top 53, downhill, in a vacuum.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

I literally have had to take parts to show and tell people at work WHY you don't run diesels rich without a bigger turbo....

For some reason, smoker diesels are all the rage in Cheyenne, WY. I had to stop and help a guy with a Cummins who was scratching his head on the side of the road wondering why his engine stopped and wouldn't start anymore....

Turns out, he had it running rich and had coked up the valves so bad it lost compression. He said it had been getting harder to start for a while.

Thehit
Apr 9, 2009
At the drags a couple of weeks ago. Decent launch, hit 2nd, THUMP.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Thehit posted:

Is that from the axle?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I thought it was a sun gear.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Thehit posted:

Can you get better pics? I think its pretty neat that theres multiple failures as well as twisting/plastic deformation. My guess is an input/output shaft because of the long splines. Axles dont need very long of splines.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Is it a layshaft?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

IOwnCalculus posted:

My dad used to have a F250 work truck that had a 351 with an extremely leaky rear main seal that dripped right on the exhaust crossover. It looked like you describe.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

That's a killer anti-theft system.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The lock on my mailbox did the same drat thing yesterday but apparently its $40 to get it replaced (wtf) so I think I'll be chancing someone digging through my mail for a while.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

rscott posted:

The lock on my mailbox did the same drat thing yesterday but apparently its $40 to get it replaced (wtf) so I think I'll be chancing someone digging through my mail for a while.

Pretty sure community property poo poo like that is the HOA's responsibility?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
At my last place the mailbox kiosk actually belonged to the Post Office, along with the keys.

Thehit
Apr 9, 2009

Lord Gaga posted:

Can you get better pics? I think its pretty neat that theres multiple failures as well as twisting/plastic deformation. My guess is an input/output shaft because of the long splines. Axles dont need very long of splines.

I'll try and get some decent photos after work. It's the shaft that goes between the gearbox and the transfer case. Pretty common weak point in the Evo - second one I've done. Will be upgrading to a PPG billet one once the funds allow.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Thehit posted:

I'll try and get some decent photos after work. It's the shaft that goes between the gearbox and the transfer case. Pretty common weak point in the Evo - second one I've done. Will be upgrading to a PPG billet one once the funds allow.

So we can look forward to grenaded gearbox/tc pics next? You're just going to move the weakest link...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VW correct? I had a door that just STOPPED OPENING on my 1989 Jetta Diesel....we could NEVER get it open again. I shut it one day, and no matter what I tried, it would never open.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
The door handle/opening/locking mechanism on that vintage VW had issues. My old Passat Also started acting up on the driver's door at one point, and after taking it apart I realized that it had more moving parts than a silo full of swiss watches.

Thehit
Apr 9, 2009

Sponge! posted:

So we can look forward to grenaded gearbox/tc pics next? You're just going to move the weakest link...

Pretty much. Gearboxes are generally pretty solid at the power levels I plan on running. Quaife helical LSD is in the pipeline for the transfer case, should be good enough for 400-420 whp - besides, those come with a "lifetime warranty". I intend to get this car into the low 11s, maybe high 10s down the line, so I'll be spending a fair amount of money on drivetrain bits. At the moment with the power I have I need to be fairly brutal to run respectable times, hopefully onceI throw a bit more power at it I can be nicer to run the numbers I want. Waste of money probably, but meh, I enjoy it.

Here's a better picture of the two I've gone through so far.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Thehit posted:

gently caress YEAH!

Splitz and I spend an inordinate amount of time trying to figuring this out.
That was my first guess before we settled on center diff input shaft.
ALWAYS GO WITH YOUR GUT!

We came across some fairly useless to us, but might be helpful to you, links:

http://www.evoscan.com/manuals/Evo9/GR00000600-22C.pdf
http://www.lilevo.com/mirage/EVO%208%20Service%20Manual/xEvo8/Evo8/Technical/02/Power%20Train.pdf
http://www.lilevo.com/mirage/EVO%206%20Service%20Manual/E6/wsm/EV6_XE22b.pdf

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Haha. I think my guess, your guess, and the actual answer are all the same part.

Why is it hollow? :confused: I mean, no wonder it's a weak point.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Splizwarf posted:

Haha. I think my guess, your guess, and the actual answer are all the same part.

Probably to be the weak point. If you're wrecking that thing on a normal daily driven car, something is seriously wrong. I could definitely see engineering it for failure so that the way more expensive gearbox and/or transfer case don't get lunched.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Splizwarf posted:

Tubing is actually pretty god damned strong in terms of torque distortion...

Drilling rig shaft is hollow... Wind turbine pylons are hollow...

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Those are both cases where they're trying to save weight. I like the "intentional weak link" suggestion. I was more wondering if something went inside it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Shear force increases as you go from the center to the edge so you can make a hollow shaft stronger and lighter without being much larger in diameter.

Here's a broken rear transfer shaft from an STI:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bow TIE Fighter
Sep 16, 2007

Our cummerbunds can't repel firepower of that magnitude!
The pony thread reminded me of a '72 Mustang I had many years ago. Looking back through pictures, I found a shot of the roof that looked like it was more Bondo than metal:

It had originally been the "Grande" model which had a fake convertible skin on the roof, which trapped moisture and led to this kind of rusting. Of course, I didn't know this (and other severe rust) until after buying it.

Last time I checked, shock towers were important structural components. The other side was just as bad.

And this little "oops" turned a "just replacing the gaskets and cleaning it up" into a full rebuild. It wasn't a large mechanical failure, but it sure was expensive.

The whole time I knew that I had no idea what I was doing, figured it would just work out, after all: "How hard could it be?" It never ran again, even after pouring a few grand into the engine compartment, and I moved and couldn't take it with me.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That's rust? Why, I think you could still unscrew that bolt!

Thehit
Apr 9, 2009

Boat posted:

Probably to be the weak point. If you're wrecking that thing on a normal daily driven car, something is seriously wrong. I could definitely see engineering it for failure so that the way more expensive gearbox and/or transfer case don't get lunched.

I wouldn't really call it normal driving. That shaft has seen about 70 full on passes down the strip with me being not very nice to it. If I was driving it like I do on the street, I doubt I would ever break it with 270 whp. But I'd also probably be running 13s.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Thehit posted:

I wouldn't really call it normal driving. That shaft has seen about 70 full on passes down the strip with me being not very nice to it. If I was driving it like I do on the street, I doubt I would ever break it with 270 whp. But I'd also probably be running 13s.

That was his point. It's a weak point in the system, but it's still strong enough to hold up to almost any condition. And if someone does manage to break it, it's a lot better than a real internal trans/tc part.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.

IOwnCalculus posted:

. Post more failures!

Ive got one just like that out of my TBI 5.7....

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

kastein posted:

That's rust? Why, I think you could still unscrew that bolt!

Rust is just natures loctite! :v:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Having had so many gearbox issues with my old Evo I was always afraid to drag race it, so it seems alien to me when I see other people drag racing them.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Splizwarf posted:

Physics. Also, weight/cost savings. It's hollow for essentially the same reason steel I-beams are I-shaped and not solid boxes: forces within a torsional structural member go up with the 4th power as you go out from the center, so the outer shell of a solid shaft is conveys the majority of the strength. Hollowing it out only reduces strength by a small amount. So a hollow shaft of a slightly larger diameter is significantly lighter (and with less material and thus generally cheaper) than a solid shaft of similar strength.

grover fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 27, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Check out this Hotchkis article for empirical validation that hollow swaybars are much lighter weight and almost as stiff as a solid swaybar of a similar diameter.

http://www.hotchkis.net/_uploaded_files/hollow_vs_solidinstructions162file.pdf

quote:

Okay, lets illustrate the tire example. Let’s say,
we have a rotating wheel and it takes 1000 lbs of
torque (rotating resistance) to stop it from rotating.
If the you try to stop the wheel rotating at the
outside, let’s say 10” diameter. The equation for
torque is T = Force x Radius, so to apply the 1000
lbs of torque, you have to put 100 lbs of force on the
tread. Next, try to stop the same wheel, but at the
lug nuts, say 4”, you have to apply 250 lbs of force!
That’s quite a significant increase, so you’re better
off using the tread. This is the same basic principle
used in hollow sway bar theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Ferremit posted:

Rust is just natures loctite! :v:

I need to mount this on a plaque in my garage.