Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Deceptor101 posted:

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to check the car out tonight and see how it feels. I'm a little concerned because I talked with him and apparently the cause for the big timing/valve repair was overheating. He said the mechanic checked the heads and everything was fine, but he clearly isn't much of a wrencher. Ideally I'll look at the mechanic notes and repair paperwork myself to evaluate it better. I know one of the big things to look for on the m62 e39s is the timing tensioner though, so that could be one thing out of the way. Then it's just thrust arms and the usual BMW cooling system right?

I just replaced my timing tensioner. $50 at pelican Parts and it took about ten minutes. Make sure you have a deep-well 19mm socket, you'll need it.

It seems a lot of M62s (maybe only the M62Tus?) make a bit of a racket on a cold startup. Mine certainly does. I replaced the tensioner hoping that would go away, but it didn't.

Everything I've seen online indicates that it's normal and even BMW and Land Rover (since they used the engine as well) have stated that the noise is fine. Mine roars for about a half-second if the car's been sitting overnight, then purrs like a kitten as it idles. Anybody else have any thoughts?

I've seen people talking about everything from VANOS seals to the timing chain guides, but the general consensus seems to be that VANOS rarely fails on the M62tu and a failing timing chain guide will make itself known by getting little plastic parts in the oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
In my quest to become an M62 expert, I can part a few pieces of knowledge.

Yes, all my M62's and now N62 are noisy as gently caress on start up. Its nothing to worry about, there is quite a bit of poo poo flying around in there. 32 valves, 4 cams, timing chains and what not. But luckily, its just not isolated to BMW motors. Most 32 valve V8s are pretty noisy on start up.

Good work on replacing the timing chain tensioner. It really is a super simple job, and its huge piece of mind.

VANOS on these engines is about drat near bullet proof, failure is extremely rare, but timing chain guides can fail and yes, make sure you check your oil when its changed.

Good news on your overheating. The heads on these engines are massive, and rarely give issues if they over heat. Its the head gasket that will give the ghost first.

But really the M62 is a strong motor with few week points. They are rarely trashed, unless the timing chain tensioner fails. But yes, typical BMW poo poo cooling system.

The thrust arms are pretty easy. I think a couple of wrenches, a little bit of PB Blaster, and some swearing usually takes care of it in a hurry.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
Thanks for the info. Its too bad about that car. The drivetrain, steering and suspension all felt really solid, and I just love that blue.The idle felt low, ~500-550, but it didn't seem unhappy at it, maybe that's what they idle at. Combine the salvage title with the immense amount of small things, and it just wasn't worth it. I could put $2k and 40 hours into the car and it would be pretty fantastic, but then some old lady in a prius would hit me again and I'd be poo poo out of luck thanks to the lost value from the title. It was useful to see what a 540i felt like to drive though.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Have you talked to your insurance agent about insuring it for more than what the book value is? I did this on my Range Rover with all the work I have put in it and it only bumped my rate up a couple dollars a month.

The M62 does idle low as hell with the AC off. When you kick on the AC it will bump the idle to around 700 ish. My N62 does the exact same thing, I think its more of a fuel savings thing than anything. For such a powerful engine in a relatively heavy car, they are easy on fuel. I regularly get 24 with my 550i and I do have a tendency to cane it on a regular basis.

The 540i is a really brilliant car. Combination of timeless styling, muscle car performance, great handling (for a car of its size), plenty of room, and they are becoming priced pretty decently. Its a great family car.

But again, I am a 5er fan, and E39's hit the sweet spot for me.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Yeah my 540i idles right at the first tick on the tach, which I think is about 500 rpm.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

CornHolio posted:

Yeah my 540i idles right at the first tick on the tach, which I think is about 500 rpm.

My E36 does the same, but electronically reads 750rpm.

voltron fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 25, 2012

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

voltron posted:

So does my E36 M3 but the thermostat trick says that it idles at 750rpm.
What does this mean? Thermostat trick?

ne: nevermind then I guess

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

voltron posted:

My E36 does the same, but electronically reads 750rpm.

Huh, I'll have to check that with torque. My e36 definitely stays around the tick, and sometimes dips below at random.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

Lowclock posted:

What does this mean? Thermostat trick?

ne: nevermind then I guess

There's this thing where you press the AC button and Air-to-feet button and the temperature display becomes a sort of in-car telemetry screen.

I couldn't find how to do it, or what it's called, so I just edited my post. I've done it in my E36 to see RPMs, car speed, and some other neat data.

Ahh, the CLIMATE CONTROL TRICK:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13003
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/repair_faqs/hvac.html

quote:

The IHKA of the 1996 E36 has a feature that allows different sensor values to be displayed on the control panel. The display mode is called up by pressing the "AUTO" and "REAR DEFOGGER" buttons simultaneously. 12 displays are available and you can toggle through them by pressing the fan rocker switch.

Test number Function
1. Interior Temp Sensor
2. Exterior Temp sensor
3. Left Heater Core Sensor
4. Right Heater Core Sensor
5. Evaporator Temp Sensor
6. Engine Speed Input
7. Road Speed Input
8. "Y" Factor Value
9. Fresh Air Flap Position in % (99.5% Max.)
10. AUC Sensor Voltage (if equipped)
11. Battery Voltage
12. Software Version
The sensor display functions are exited by pressing "RECIRC" and "AUTO" buttons simultaneously and also by turning the ignition off. The decimal point is not shown therefore 66.5% would show as 665 All temp displays are in degrees centigrade. Negative values are indicated with minus sign

I have a 99 M3 and it works.

voltron fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 25, 2012

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Oh okay so kind of like the 16 button OBC test menu stuff. I see.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
My car decided to give me a bit of a present today. I've been ignoring a SES light for a wonked out exhaust cam position sensor for a few months due to it not really having any impact on drivability and me breaking a bunch of parts when I tried to replace it's intake-side counterpart a few years back. Unfortunately I'm in one of the few counties in my state with emissions testing, so SES = fail and my renewal is coming up in a few months.

I fired up the car today and had no light, so on a whim I pulled in to a test station. Woohoo, passed on all tests!

Ten miles further down the road...

I don't know why, but it decided to give me enough time where the computer was happy with things to pass emissions. That's $100 (if I got it right) to $350 (if I didn't) I don't need to spend right now.

discstickers
Jul 29, 2004

So my handbrake in my 540 6-speed doesn't work so well. No problem right? I can just put the car in gear on a hill.

Was working great, until this weekend. Parked downhill, engage the handbrake and put the car into reverse. There was a slow, rhythmic downhill movement. I've parked on the same street many times (normally parked uphill) and it's been fine.

What gives?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
You uh... need to adjust your handbrake?

discstickers
Jul 29, 2004

Lowclock posted:

You uh... need to adjust your handbrake?

Sure, but shouldn't putting it into the opposite gear lock up the wheels as well?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

discstickers posted:

Sure, but shouldn't putting it into the opposite gear lock up the wheels as well?

Not unless your motor is seized.

Seriously...adjust the hand brake. It will be fine. Putting your car in gear just adds some extra friction to the system. it is not in any way a replacement for a working hand brake.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Motronic posted:

Not unless your motor is seized.

Seriously...adjust the hand brake. It will be fine. Putting your car in gear just adds some extra friction to the system. it is not in any way a replacement for a working hand brake.

I was under the impression that it was to make the system redundant. On anything but a decent hill, the compression in the engine should be enough to counteract gravity.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CornHolio posted:

On anything but a decent hill, the compression in the engine should be enough to counteract gravity.

That's the point: he's obviously parking on a hill that is too large for the compression to hold it.

Also, I've seen several screw ups where someone put a car or truck in gear on a hill and though it was good enough because it stopped. A few hours later it had overcome compression and crawled it's way down and out of it's spot (this is why you turn your wheels into the curb).

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
"New" 3.15 diff going into my well flogged E46 330 today. I look forward to losing 1 mpg. Also getting the tires rotated (square street setup) and the airbag sensor light reset. $600 total, oh well.

WTF is up with Bavauto's supplier? I've been waiting 2 months for some speakers to arrive.

EDIT: yaaa, speakers will be here Aug 1.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 27, 2012

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Checked with torque this afternoon, apparently the first tick on the e36 is 700rpm as well.

edit: Was trying to figure out what my wobble under braking was (now almost positive it is tierods, the wheel will rotate side to side with force) and discovered this:

The little bit of newspaper at the bottom is where the front driver's side jack pad is. Is something like that even fixable on an e36 for a not ridiculous price? It's part of the unibody, correct? I have another year until I need a safety inspection, but I have a feeling at that time it is going to become a parts car.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 27, 2012

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
I've just bought an E60 M5.

Picking it up tomorrow.

Awaiting financial ruin.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Every time I see an E60 I think man it must be awesome to drive something with a V10, just because.

Saw a VA-registered one leaving work a couple months ago with the plate "BCUZV10". Wish I had a camera.

Congrats!

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
My e36's subframe is torn around that area and I always figured that being in Georgia and a no-rust car it would just live like that for the rest of its life. But that, holy poo poo. :cry: Yeah. I'd vote parts car.

In good news, MY GIRLFRIEND'S dad offered me a 0-mile rebuild M20 head because he remembered he had an e30 at a mechanic's that he had forgotten about for 5 years. The head was never installed after rebuild so I'm good, there. The problem being I have to take the whole car to get the head. Just what I need: another parts car that I don't really have the movitvation to part. :v:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

SuperDucky posted:

My e36's subframe is torn around that area and I always figured that being in Georgia and a no-rust car it would just live like that for the rest of its life. But that, holy poo poo. :cry: Yeah. I'd vote parts car.

I may try getting it cut/welded. I got a lead on a marine welding shop that is supposed to have some really talented welders. If I could get it to run until 2014 (which by then it will have close to 260,000km) I could still justify an m3.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 28, 2012

discstickers
Jul 29, 2004

Reason #10371 to love owning an 11-year-old German car: $1800 oil changes!

Fixed this time:
Power steering pump replaced
Rear pads and rotors
Rear sway bar links
Oil pan gasket (The tech called it a category 3 leak)
Cabin filters
Parking break

At least I can park on hills and I don't smell burning oil anymore.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

discstickers posted:

Reason #10371 to love owning an 11-year-old German car: $1800 oil changes!

Fixed this time:
Power steering pump replaced
Rear pads and rotors
Rear sway bar links
Oil pan gasket (The tech called it a category 3 leak)
Cabin filters
Parking break

At least I can park on hills and I don't smell burning oil anymore.

Next time spring for the parking fix

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

What would be a reasonable price to offer for this E30?

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/3066360138.html

Seems like it needs a little work, but has had a lot of recent replacements.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

opengl128 posted:

What would be a reasonable price to offer for this E30?

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/3066360138.html

Seems like it needs a little work, but has had a lot of recent replacements.
Well he wants way too much for it first off, so offering ~$2000 (which is really what it's worth) probably won't go over very well.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Kenshin posted:

Well he wants way too much for it first off, so offering ~$2000 (which is really what it's worth) probably won't go over very well.

Was kind of afraid of that. Stupid overpriced E30's :( I'm gonna take a look at it tomorrow and see how low he'll go.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
My clutch pedal in the E30 has developed a squeak and IT IS GODDAMN MADDENING AUGHHHHHHHHH

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Picked up my M5 earlier and had a 120 mile drive home.

Jesus. What a car.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

GazChap posted:

Picked up my M5 earlier and had a 120 mile drive home.

Jesus. What a car.

We need pics and more details. Manual or SMG?

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Dark at the moment (I'm in the UK) so pics will be tomorrow after I've given it a wash.

E60 M5, 2005 model, 82,000 miles on the clock. SMG (UK didn't get a manual version) in Interlagos Blue with the Silverstone Extended Merino Leather trim.

It's epic. The sound of that V10... :fap:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
gently caress, I wish 3250 was an overpriced e30 here. I was about to drive 5 hours to look at a 318is for 5k until I found out it had a salvage/rebuilt title in another province from 1993.

I want to find something. Now that I have a complete M52 drivetrain + harness and ecu, I really want to do my own 24v e30 swap.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Crustashio posted:

gently caress, I wish 3250 was an overpriced e30 here. I was about to drive 5 hours to look at a 318is for 5k until I found out it had a salvage/rebuilt title in another province from 1993.

I want to find something. Now that I have a complete M52 drivetrain + harness and ecu, I really want to do my own 24v e30 swap.
Maybe it isn't over there, but on the West Coast that's overpriced. You can get a E36 325 with similar miles in better condition for similar prices.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

Well, at least you're aware of your impending financial ruin.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Crustashio posted:

Well that makes me feel a little better. Maybe if I can talk him into the mid-high 2's I'll go for it.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

opengl128 posted:

Well that makes me feel a little better. Maybe if I can talk him into the mid-high 2's I'll go for it.
Yeah, don't get me wrong, if you paid $3k for it you haven't gotten shafted.

But the closer you can get it to $2k the better.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Welp. Just got me cooling system parts in. Time for my car to stop making GBS threads water out every other day.

Anything I should be on the lookout for when I tackle this thing?

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
Just gave a guy a deposit for this:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/3162141452.html
God I'm a sucker for that blue. Body is nearly perfect, no door dings at all. Gauge cluster is losing pixels, but I got him to agree on $9700. We'll do the buy Monday night. So excited!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
What's the point behind putting down a deposit if you're buying from a private seller? What's holding him to HIS word?