Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Geared Hub posted:

Yes, I use 2 HID Lightforce 240's and a bunch of the Rigid dually D2's [they are one step up from the dually I listed above, it's the same enclosure but it has 6 emitters instead of 4].

I'm looking into ordering the Rigid LED lights and am trying to decide on the 2x2 vs the 2x3's. The price of 180 for two lights of the 2x2 set is right where I want to spend.

Granted I have to still do the measuring, but I want to put these in the grill of a subaru.

Anyone got any extra input?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Hummers back.. sort of.

It got leaked out early by an off road club visit to an AM General plant where they spilled the beans to a few visitors.

When GM Shut down Hummer, AM General regained the rights to the H1 [https://www.hummer.com has no reference to the hmmwv or h1 for some time].

The details are light, and the official website isn't up yet, but the new truck will be called The HUMVEE C and will priced at $59,000 with the maxed out configuration at around $75,000 which puts it back at the pre-GM era pricing of the late 1990's.

I'm attending a factory event in Colorado and Utah this September so I'm hoping to drive one of these but everything is light on details at the moment.

The truck is being sold as a build to order spec, you can have a stripped down model with no interior and soft canvas doors, to a fully complete model with the duramax.

No word on the small block 3.2L turbodiesel yet.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I hope they do it right! It sure sounds like they are heading that way.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

It sounds like they are going to offer a base new HMMWV platform as cheap as they can but with a more powerful drive train options.

If the price point is accurate they are aiming it at the custom 4x4 crowd putting it at 50-70k in line with the AEV tricked out J8's and Icon 4x4's.

It'll be a tiny market, but I'd buy one, but I'm working on a preapproved mortgage for a home for next year, I'll need a big garage.. :3:

Not sure what it'll do to values of H1's, I think the sky high 80-100K ones are going to drop like a rock.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 27, 2012

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO

Geared Hub posted:

Yes, I use 2 HID Lightforce 240's and a bunch of the Rigid dually D2's [they are one step up from the dually I listed above, it's the same enclosure but it has 6 emitters instead of 4].

If you plan to use them for driving lights on roads I'd get the spots, floods are more useful if you are off roading especially in wide open areas where you want a nice wide path lit up in case you need to dodge an obstacle, but they have less throw, although either light is pretty impressive.

Ideally I'd use my normal headlights as a spot, and buy my first set of off road lights as a diffuse/flood to augment my oem lights.

If you get multiple sets over time you can start with a flood light, then combine them with a second set of spots, and use diffuse lights for the rear/sides.

I have a mix of halogen/HID and the LED, they all exist in slightly different color temperature range so they blend together pretty nicely at night.

Yeah I find that most of my issue at night is distance. I was driving home from work tonight and I thinking that my low beams can't be throwing more than 20ft of light in front of the truck. High beams are A LOT better but still not really good. I'll probably end up getting the basic pair of Dually's at some point, but we'll see if I have the money before the end of the summer. Had to do an impromptu front brake job last weekend and I'm trying to save up for rent.... :sigh:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You should probably fix your headlights.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Yeah, something isn't right there, I'd adjust headlights, or pop for two new silverstars or something at a auto store.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO

kastein posted:

You should probably fix your headlights.

I don't think they need fixing... upgrading maybe, but that's just the reality of driving a lovely old pickup. I'll look into some better lights.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
This weekend I drove up some fun forest roads to a fire lookout with amazing views of mountains in the cascades:

The lookout, a little over 5000 feet up:

Mt. Rainier:

Mt. St. Helens:

Mt. Adams:

Mt. Hood far in the distance:

The trail up and Mt. Adams in the distance:

Everything looks incredible from 5k feet up:

Mt. Rainier again with a sense of scale:

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Thats awesome. I was supposed to go to Bishop, CA this weekend for a few mountain runs, there's a nice trail, wheeler ridge which takes you up the mountain from the valley, up to about 11,000 ft or so.

On other news, I ditched the military MTR's and surplus hmmwv wheels and went back to aluminum 17" wheels and got a new set of BFG MT KM2's... what a big difference. Easy to balance [100 lbs per wheel vs 160 lbs per wheel], and I can run at highway speeds smooth even with 50 psi in the tires.

Not a big deal off road, but the big issue is driving a day or two to get to some places gets old quick when you are shaking and rattling down the road.

Trying to get some surplus hmmwv tires for a buddy and its a pain to find ones that hold air, just came back from one place that had a dozen or so, but all of them except for one had nails in them..

Thats pretty much the reason why I moved away from military surplus.. cheap tires for big rubber, but you really got to hope you get a good pair.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Geared Hub posted:

Thats awesome. I was supposed to go to Bishop, CA this weekend for a few mountain runs, there's a nice trail, wheeler ridge which takes you up the mountain from the valley, up to about 11,000 ft or so.

On other news, I ditched the military MTR's and surplus hmmwv wheels and went back to aluminum 17" wheels and got a new set of BFG MT KM2's... what a big difference. Easy to balance [100 lbs per wheel vs 160 lbs per wheel], and I can run at highway speeds smooth even with 50 psi in the tires.

Not a big deal off road, but the big issue is driving a day or two to get to some places gets old quick when you are shaking and rattling down the road.

Trying to get some surplus hmmwv tires for a buddy and its a pain to find ones that hold air, just came back from one place that had a dozen or so, but all of them except for one had nails in them..

Thats pretty much the reason why I moved away from military surplus.. cheap tires for big rubber, but you really got to hope you get a good pair.

What about the xml's ? They usually are in good shape and they have a 38" size I think ? Heavy tire though.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

jonathan posted:

What about the xml's ? They usually are in good shape and they have a 38" size I think ? Heavy tire though.

I thought about those.Great tire, but its a 16" rim, the problem on the H1 is the wheels have to clear the portal geared hub, and 16.5" is the smallest you can fit. I can get 20-22" super single sized wheels, but then I'm up to mid 40's in diameter, and there's no way those would fit unless I start cutting off fenders, great idea for a buggy...

I think what happened with these surplus tires, at least with the 37's, the majority of the HMMWV Goodyear MT's that got surplused were good and new. The DOD simply dumped all the 1980's 36" Eagle II bias plys and the 90's early 00's MT's with many of them never mounted. No one really had problems with those.

The DOD switched to the HMMWV MT/R and the BFG Baja T/A for the HMMWV fleet, since it's a current in use tire, there's a higher chance of getting a hosed up tire [I heard procedure for DRMO is to swap all wheels/tires if theres an issue with one].
If you go by that logic then 1/4 tires you get are hosed up.

I went through 8, 3 were bad, some had invisible sidewall punctures, best guess it was from cactus needles from Fort Irwin or 29 Palms up in the Mojave.

They are loving awesome off road tires, and if my rig was a trailer queen I'd just stick with them and plug them.

I'm starting to see re-centered HEMTT/PLS wheels and tire combos going for 300-500, great idea if you got rockwell axles to spend that much rubbery meat...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I picked up a set of 6 395/85r20 (46" or so, 15+" tread width) XMLs to eventually put on my M54A2. Those loving things are heavy, like 230+lbs each. Got em for $1350 shipped from georgia, they are used but seem like they're in good shape.

I'm pretty sure I could put them on rims with no air in them and run them on my MJ on the road... if I could find a way to even make them fit. I don't think there'd be much left of the front fenders or bedsides.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

kastein posted:

I picked up a set of 6 395/85r20 (46" or so, 15+" tread width) XMLs to eventually put on my M54A2. Those loving things are heavy, like 230+lbs each. Got em for $1350 shipped from georgia, they are used but seem like they're in good shape.

I'm pretty sure I could put them on rims with no air in them and run them on my MJ on the road... if I could find a way to even make them fit. I don't think there'd be much left of the front fenders or bedsides.

I have the same tires but on Double beadlock wheels, and with 0psi with the valve in, they stay suspended with my 10,000lb hino/m35a2 hybrid. I don't know what would happen with the valve out. They may go flat at that point.

What is the deal with the HEMMT wheels versus recentered and split m35a2 wheels ? Which is the better setup ?

mhsneon
Jul 2, 2005

I work for Intel but AMD makes me hot

mod sassinator posted:

This weekend I drove up some fun forest roads to a fire lookout with amazing views of mountains in the cascades:

The lookout, a little over 5000 feet up:

Which forest road is that lookout off of, looks like a place I would like to check out.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

mhsneon posted:

Which forest road is that lookout off of, looks like a place I would like to check out.

It's Burley mountain lookout: http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/burley-mountain

Go to Randle, WA, then down 25 to 76 (near the Iron Creek campground) and finally up 7605. Kind of crappy map here: http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/giffordpinchot/recreation/hiking/recarea/?recid=31222&actid=50

Everything is paved up to 7605 (which isn't marked that well, it's the second trail to the right going down 76, the first trail right is 77), but 7605 is a small dirt road that goes up the mountain about 4000 feet. The road isn't too bad but has some big ruts--I wouldn't take a car up it, but a Jeep or something with good ground clearance shouldn't have problems. You'll take 7605 up about 6-7 miles to a sign that points left up 86 to the Burley mountain lookout. The views at this point start to get really amazing.

Apparently 77 is supposed to be a nice longer road that loops around to the back end of 7605, but when I went this weekend there was a sign that said it was blocked.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

jonathan posted:

I have the same tires but on Double beadlock wheels, and with 0psi with the valve in, they stay suspended with my 10,000lb hino/m35a2 hybrid. I don't know what would happen with the valve out. They may go flat at that point.

What is the deal with the HEMMT wheels versus recentered and split m35a2 wheels ? Which is the better setup ?

Not sure. Mine's an M54A2 5-ton so it uses 10 lug Budd style wheels instead of the 6-by-huge deuce lug pattern, which means I COULD put regular 22.5/24.5 OTR tractor wheels and tires on it if I wanted, but what I want is 20" tubeless 10 lug Budd wheels, which existed ~10 years ago, and were common ~20-30 years ago from what I've heard, but every truck parts / truck scrapper place I speak with just scrapped their last set a month or two ago because no one had bought them and they were taking up space.

Those tires are rated for like 9800lbs load PER TIRE, so I doubt the MJ would even flex the sidewalls at 4k fully loaded for a trip, which amounts to like 10% of max load on each tire if I put the XMLs on it.

Where'd you get your double beadlocks and what'd you pay if you don't mind me asking? I'm kinda getting tired of waiting for a set of 20" tubeless OTR rims to come along, which means as soon as I get a job again I'll probably just say gently caress it and pick up a set of custom 20x12 or 20x14 or so 10 lug rims somewhere, or get some HEMMT rims.

kastein fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 1, 2012

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
usa6x6 before they went under, and not by my choice. the person that started the project had them made there, and usa6x6 made the backspacing wrong.

My wheels are stock duece wheels, cut down the center, respaced, and then bolted together. I am unsure what the width is, whatever is perfect for the 395mm tire.

The beadlock is attained by a rubber insert which clamps the bead at both sides. This might be how the factory duece setup was as well.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

mod sassinator posted:

It's Burley mountain lookout: http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/burley-mountain

Go to Randle, WA, then down 25 to 76 (near the Iron Creek campground) and finally up 7605. Kind of crappy map here: http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/giffordpinchot/recreation/hiking/recarea/?recid=31222&actid=50

Everything is paved up to 7605 (which isn't marked that well, it's the second trail to the right going down 76, the first trail right is 77), but 7605 is a small dirt road that goes up the mountain about 4000 feet. The road isn't too bad but has some big ruts--I wouldn't take a car up it, but a Jeep or something with good ground clearance shouldn't have problems. You'll take 7605 up about 6-7 miles to a sign that points left up 86 to the Burley mountain lookout. The views at this point start to get really amazing.

Apparently 77 is supposed to be a nice longer road that loops around to the back end of 7605, but when I went this weekend there was a sign that said it was blocked.

Thanks for the info, looks like a nice trip. I may head out there this weekend and then swing by Long Beach on the way back and camp overnight.

Let me know if you ever want someone to tag along go on any more cool day trips like this...I usually only get out to hit the hardcore trails because I don't know of any neat scenic places to go.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Looks like I'll be breaking down and building up a few humvee wheels this weekend, I'll take pictures on whats involved and what supplies are needed.

I would probably go out and buy a cheetah tank/inflator if I were doing them on a regular basis...

Agrocrag
Oct 22, 2004

True love at last
Been wanting a decent 4x4 vehicle for awhile now. Found a Suzuki samurai for sale in my town. Decent deal?

http://stockton.craigslist.org/cto/3110563746.html

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'm digging that big J truck in the background of one of the photos!

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

The official announcement and site should be coming any day now.

The new H1 will be a build your own kit car, except they assemble the truck at the plant and ship you a truck with the power train options in separate crates.

Apparently it was cheaper in labor to just run everything through the plant than it was to pay folks to break down parts and package and ship them for self assembly. :v: Makes sense I guess if you have everything rigged up for production.

Lots of rumors, but I'm waiting for the official site to go up.

The current rumor from a few people who were part of a focus group was $59,995 for a soft top basic hummer with rear e-locker standard. They are expecting to sell around 50.

The drive train/kit thing is a dodge to get around certification with EPA/NHTSA, theres a second rumor that GM loses the license to Hummer in 2014 and it reverts back to AM General. This explains A> why GM couldn't really sell it. B> This is AM General putting their toe in the water to see if theres still a small market for something like the H1 to resume production and to see if its worthwhile to spend the 10 million or whatever to run everything through testing again.

Should be interesting to watch. I know one local coachbuilder/custom car shop that wants to buy a dozen to build out to customers specs and register as custom construction or whatever.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 3, 2012

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Geared Hub posted:

The drive train/kit thing is a dodge to get around certification with EPA/NHTSA
Yep, makes sense.

How far off do you think one would be from passing the UK regs?
http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/Transport_files/IVA_M1_Inspection_Manual_1.pdf

Because, with import duty and VAT (sales tax), you're talking maybe £51k plus the shipping cost. That isn't actually that bad. Cheaper than a QT (nee Bowler) Wildcat, for instance, about on a par with a Hemi Grand Cherokee or a decently-optioned Discovery. Pretty sure it's significantly less than you had to pay for the H1 to be imported over here previously, and some people did buy them.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Yep, makes sense.

How far off do you think one would be from passing the UK regs?
http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/Transport_files/IVA_M1_Inspection_Manual_1.pdf

Because, with import duty and VAT (sales tax), you're talking maybe £51k plus the shipping cost. That isn't actually that bad. Cheaper than a QT (nee Bowler) Wildcat, for instance, about on a par with a Hemi Grand Cherokee or a decently-optioned Discovery. Pretty sure it's significantly less than you had to pay for the H1 to be imported over here previously, and some people did buy them.

I guess it would depend on the specific regs. There's no VIN unless you title it first in the US. It would be a custom construction vehicle.

I think the issues for the base configuration that is rumored would be:

-adding additional mirrors
-adding additional set of headlights and orange rear indicator lights [most euro hummer owners I know just get the dodge/jeep part since it's the same tail light as the wrangler]
-lack of airbags
-lack of hard doors [its either no doors or canvas doors which is odd].

After flipping through that book, it seems that there is a tailpipe/throttle emissions testing, the Duramax and 6.5 does meet emissions on their own, its just the platform isn't certified by federal standards.

But I wonder if its easier to ship it as an drivetrain less vehicle, would it even be a vehicle if the final assembly is in the UK?

There's a few Australians over on one of the forums I'm on, and with the exhcange rate they are thinking of importing a few and building them out down under.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ok, here's my best attempt at confirming that stuff.

Geared Hub posted:

I guess it would depend on the specific regs. There's no VIN unless you title it first in the US. It would be a custom construction vehicle.
That's fine, the IVA system allows for both kitbuild and scratchbuild vehicles, as well as frankensteining parts from a variety of sources.

The UK Government posted:

You can use the IVA scheme if you:
    build, design or sell kit cars
    import cars from outside the European Union - particularly the Far East and North America
    rebuild older cars with major changes
    specialise in converting new vehicles into wheelchair accessible vehicles
    manufacture a small number of vehicles
    manufacture or import trailers
    manufacture or import passenger vehicles
    manufacture or import goods vehicles

quote:

I think the issues for the base configuration that is rumored would be:

-adding additional mirrors
The requirements are relatively open. If you have one each side and a middle one, you're probably ok. Easy to achieve.

quote:

-adding additional set of headlights and orange rear indicator lights [most euro hummer owners I know just get the dodge/jeep part since it's the same tail light as the wrangler]
Yeah, there's plenty of options. You would also need headlights that dip the correct side.

quote:

-lack of airbags
No requirement.

quote:

-lack of hard doors [its either no doors or canvas doors which is odd].
Not an issue, only requirement for "temporary" doors on a vehicle designed to be used without them is that they're hinged at the leading edge.

quote:

After flipping through that book, it seems that there is a tailpipe/throttle emissions testing, the Duramax and 6.5 does meet emissions on their own, its just the platform isn't certified by federal standards.
It should be ok for the UK standard, I'd say. I think diesels are the generic "no smoke" visual test, and a metered smoke test. No NOx requirement etc.

quote:

But I wonder if its easier to ship it as an drivetrain less vehicle, would it even be a vehicle if the final assembly is in the UK?
That wouldn't necessarily change anything, still needs an IVA, however if it has a federal certification they should take that as good enough for compliance - but I get the impression the H1 kit would not have this.

There is an important aspect which could be annoying, and that is the need for contact safety on surfaces, both inside and outside, to the standard listed. Smooth radii on edges and so on. More likely to be a massive irritation than a dealbreaker.

quote:

There's a few Australians over on one of the forums I'm on, and with the exhcange rate they are thinking of importing a few and building them out down under.
I get the impression that the Australian system for specialist/modified vehicles is a pain in the balls compared to the UK, and especially to the US.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

The surfaces thing I wasn't expecting unless there's different rules if you bring it in as a truck/lorry. [In the US it is consider a class III truck which gives a few H1 owners in certain states headaches since the computer defaults it to being a commercial vehicle].

That would be a major issue with the bumper, its 1/4 HSSS box section with a dozen grade 8 bolts sticking out of it. I guess you could laser cut a piece of fiberglass or fabricate a plastic channel that can drop over the bumpers to make it flush with the bolts.

I know with Australia you can save a ton of money on importing hummers if you have what they consider a "truck" version, that is open bed like the pickup/soft top models. The wagon models are enclosed then it moves to a much steeper duty chart as a luxury vehicle.

Other than that, it can't be that obnoxious other than the RHD conversion. After desert storm, the kuwaitis picked up a ton of left over HMMWV's and sold them to anyone who wanted them. A bunch of Australians imported them and were able to register and title them, there is apparently more privately owned true HMMWV's there than H1's.

And that's something the Australians were able to get away with, most countries, especially the US make it very.. paperwork intensive if not impossible to import a military vehicle.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Geared Hub posted:

The surfaces thing I wasn't expecting unless there's different rules if you bring it in as a truck/lorry. [In the US it is consider a class III truck which gives a few H1 owners in certain states headaches since the computer defaults it to being a commercial vehicle].
I think it might make it a little better, but not be enough that you're not still better to put it through as a passenger vehicle if that's what you intend to use it as.

quote:

That would be a major issue with the bumper, its 1/4 HSSS box section with a dozen grade 8 bolts sticking out of it. I guess you could laser cut a piece of fiberglass or fabricate a plastic channel that can drop over the bumpers to make it flush with the bolts.
As long as the radii on the edges of the bumper are at least .100" (achievable with rubber trim if necessary), you're ok. Plastic caps are the normal solution for fasteners heads.

quote:

I know with Australia you can save a ton of money on importing hummers if you have what they consider a "truck" version, that is open bed like the pickup/soft top models. The wagon models are enclosed then it moves to a much steeper duty chart as a luxury vehicle.
A commercial vehicle used commercially may net you a significant saving, but aside from a couple of loopholes, it doesn't help private owners with personal vehicles that much.

quote:

Other than that, it can't be that obnoxious other than the RHD conversion. After desert storm, the kuwaitis picked up a ton of left over HMMWV's and sold them to anyone who wanted them.
We completely avoid the silliness Australia has about LHD vehicles. It may be more expensive to insure, but in terms of legislation it makes no odds.

quote:

And that's something the Australians were able to get away with, most countries, especially the US make it very.. paperwork intensive if not impossible to import a military vehicle.
The UK powers that be don't really seem to care. It either passes the test to be a road vehicle or it doesn't, the origins aren't as important.

angry climber
Dec 6, 2010
Hello, I'm completely new to 4x4'ing and this is what I have to work with(I've since removed the running boards):

I live in the Seattle area and was wondering if you guys can recommend an easy trail for a 4x4 newbie. I'm definitely going to check out the Burley mountain lookout that was posted earlier as well. Is there any informational websites that show trail rating and what not?

Thanks

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

angry climber posted:

Hello, I'm completely new to 4x4'ing and this is what I have to work with(I've since removed the running boards):

That's a nice start, especially with the running boards gone. The tires probably leave a lot to be desired, but they should do for now.

I can't suggest a place for you as I'm not local, but I will tell you to 1.) not go out alone and 2.) have at least basic recovery equipment (tow strap, and places to connect it to, a shovel, a good jack and some plywood to put it on so it doesn't sink into soft ground).

This is actually a good primer for some basic info: http://www.offroadexperience.com/offroadguide1.htm

And, bottom line: as slow as possible; as fast as necessary. If you stick to that as well as understanding that you absolutely SHOULD be walking obstacles or tougher looking sections of trail first and possibly even using a spotter in some situations you should keep yourself in good shape while you learn. You can have a LOT of fun without breaking anything or modifying anything in that truck. But you'll need to learn its limits by slowly and carefully working your way up to them.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Forest service roads are probably going to be your best as far as trails that aren't likely to leave you with some minor body damage or forcing you to drag your driveline in the dirt and rocks. Tahuya (over by Brememerton) is actually pretty tame but you can forget about anything resembling scenery. Also, Naches is open now and the Bethel Ridge run is very beginner-friendly.

Here's a pretty good site with a list of the local ORV areas:
http://www.nwjeepn.com/WAtrails.htm

And a good rundown of each with some pics:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f313/where-go-offroading-washington-state-1239352/

Reiter (up by Monroe) was a very popular area that closed down a few years back, but recently a single trail was reopened for motorcycles. DNR is supposed to start work on the ATV/Jeep trails this fall.

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20120803/NEWS01/708039785#New-Reiter-Foothills-trail-opens-to-riders

Philip J Fry fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 9, 2012

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah stick with forest roads and you'll be ok but still have some fun. If you're in the PNW try to track down this book: http://www.amazon.com/Washington-By...shington+byways Unfortunately it's out of print and the prices people are charging for used copies are ridiculous. I contacted the publisher and they basically said tough luck finding a copy. Somehow I got lucky and found a used copy for $20 on Amazon marketplace eventually. You can get it from the library too. All the roads are great forest/logging roads that aren't challenging but usually take you to some spectacular views.

edit: Actually it looks like the author's website mentions someone you can email to try tracking down a copy--give it a shot, the book is really fantastic: http://www.backcountrybyways.com/buy.shtml I've done about 4 trails mentioned in it and really enjoyed them.

Burley mountain is one I found in the book (it's part of the French Butte trail in it):

If you go out to the very south eastern edge of Washington, the Hell's Canyon recreation area has some amazing canyon views:

On the Olympic Peninsula check out the Deer Park campground--there's a nice forest road that winds about 5,000 feet up to a great campsite with views of Port Angeles and the strait (it's cold that high up, even in the summer so pack a good sleeping bag):

I like http://www.nwjeepn.com/ for good descriptions of trails in the area. I've been on the Fortune Creek trail out near Cle Elum and it's a step up from forest roads but not too crazy. There's a nice lake and remote campsite at the end:

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 9, 2012

klezmer life yo
Jan 7, 2011
I went out on sunday with the BC Jeep Club, up to a flooded quarry and a lookout point. It was my Ranger, a stock XJ, a semi-built YJ, and a stock TJ.

The view across the quarry, the water was warm enough that I came back on monday to swim.

And then a shot from my dash, following the group up to the viewpoint. It was super dusty following an open/open cherokee up the loose, silty trail.

But it was worth it for the view from the top:

And I took a magazine shot for the XJ's owner:

He needed spotting down this obstacle, I was too long to avoid both the trees and the rock. My passengers seemed a little worried by the grinding noises from my sliders, but they hold up better than body panels do.

And then on the way down, the YJ caught his extra-long Ubolts on this little stump. The XJ couldn't pull him, so I got to pull him out and even up the score from the last time I needed a pull from a jeep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JFwmut2lVw

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Obese Wallaby posted:

And then on the way down, the YJ caught his extra-long Ubolts on this little stump. The XJ couldn't pull him, so I got to pull him out and even up the score from the last time I needed a pull from a jeep.

I've done the exact same thing in my YJ; I hate spring-under u-bolts.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Philip J Fry posted:

I've done the exact same thing in my YJ; I hate spring-under u-bolts.

Mine are all bent to poo poo. Gonna have to cut the fuckers off when it comes time.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Someone remind me why Ford killed off the Ranger again?

Your truck looks awesome. I've had a soft spot for those things ever since I had a 94-ish (don't remember for sure) 2 wheel drive regular cab. I used to buy split window latches 4 at a time because it was so drat small in there that I'd inevitably break the tab off with my elbow trying to get into the center console if the window was open. This happened monthly. It also had the goofy 8 plug 4 cylinder in it, which was such a turd that I'd have to turn off the AC so I wouldn't die when merging onto a highway. Railroad tracks unloaded at speed were terrifying with the short wheelbase.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

trouser chili posted:

Mine are all bent to poo poo. Gonna have to cut the fuckers off when it comes time.

That's a feature. It keeps the nuts from backing down the threads.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Mine are bent to poo poo on the MJ because I've been too lazy to cut them off for an entire year now. Three of the eight bolt ends have actually broken off just below the nut from me pounding them into rocks repeatedly.

Next axle (putting a 14 bolt or rear 60 in sometime soonish) I'm going to have to come up with something to fix this problem. Not sure what it will be.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

Mine are bent to poo poo on the MJ because I've been too lazy to cut them off for an entire year now. Three of the eight bolt ends have actually broken off just below the nut from me pounding them into rocks repeatedly.

Next axle (putting a 14 bolt or rear 60 in sometime soonish) I'm going to have to come up with something to fix this problem. Not sure what it will be.
If you're not making any major changes such as going spring-over or doing away with leaf springs entirely, I'd either use a "bolt upwards" clamp design, or a spring plate skid like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

commissargribb posted:

That's a feature. It keeps the nuts from backing down the threads.

I thought that was what the rust was for.