Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Delivery Status owns, but I buy a ton of poo poo online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

cyberia posted:

I have a Macbook and like to back up my data onto two external hard drives regularly as I take a lot of photos / make music and losing any amount of data would be disatrous.

Is there a program that will let me plug in an external hard drive and then automatially backup any files that have been created or modified in a selected folder since the last time I backed up?

At the moment I just do my backups manually but I always worry about forgetting to backup something and it's a really time-consuming process.

I tried using Time Machine but it seems to just create an image of the entire computer and I couldn't find an option to select only a few folders to backup.

So if anyone has any recommendations they would be much appreciated.
You might be able to script something but I'm not 100% on that (or particularly how to do it). I've done some basic stuff like that but manually launching rather than automatic. I made one really simple one before, it's a script that does the backup then ejects the disk, if you can get used to that as part of your routine (open the script to eject basically) it might be enough for you.

Otherwise look into Carbon Copy Cloner perhaps. It just went shareware ($30 on sale right now, $40 later) but it's pretty flexible in what it can do and does the hard work when it comes to doing custom backup routines. I have no clue about auto backup to a drive on mount like you want, but you could try emailing the author, he's pretty helpful with whatever random requests.

cyberia posted:

Cool, I did not see that option last time I played with it so I will have another look tonight.

To clarify, if I have a file on my computer that I back up through Time Machine and then delete the file from my Macbook will the Time Machine hard drive retain that file next time I do a back up?
Yeah it'll retain backups as far back as the disk can hold, once it runs out of space it'll delete however many old backups to regain the space for new backups.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Is the dashboard actually useful though? I rarely hear about anyone using it.
It's as useful as the widgets. If you can find one useful for you it's useful, otherwise it isn't.

I use it for imgur upload (which didn't seem to work last night, but neither did imgur.com), a package tracker, png optimizer, pwdhash (using Safari's "open in dashboard" functionality), and I guess just some status stuff like weather and world clocks.

Porkchop Express posted:

What should I be looking for, something taking up a lot of processing and threads? There isnt a lot running right now, the highest process on the activity monitor is Chrome sucking up a whopping 4% of the CPU.
Are you looking at all processes? The one a lot of people are running into is mds/Spotlight indexing, which doesn't show up under user processes iirc.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Is there any option/setting I'm missing to get Text Edit to open to a new blank document instead of the open file dialogue it starts to now? I tend to use it as a scratchpad and am used to just opening it and typing something in quickly. It's throwing me off just a bit to keep getting prompted to choose a file and then having to click "New Document."

I don't really care whether it defaults to saving the new document to iCloud or my Mac, I just want to click the icon and have it open to a new document.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Kilometers Davis posted:

Is the dashboard actually useful though? I rarely hear about anyone using it.

iStat and Weather. That's all I use it for.

Also, goddamn, I am so used to backspace going back that this is a weird keyboard thing :(

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

japtor posted:

Are you looking at all processes? The one a lot of people are running into is mds/Spotlight indexing, which doesn't show up under user processes iirc.

Doh, no I wasn't. I will check later, right now I am running VMware Fusion and its taking up all of my processors bits. It definitely wasn't spotlight, it finished indexing hours a go.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.

DropShadow posted:

This Hidden Files widget and iStat Pro are the only two widgets I keep around. iStat Pro really only for remembering how long it has been since I've restarted my machine.

Ha. except you can't download it because it was hosted on MobileMe.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

CaptainCaveman posted:

Is there any option/setting I'm missing to get Text Edit to open to a new blank document instead of the open file dialogue it starts to now? I tend to use it as a scratchpad and am used to just opening it and typing something in quickly. It's throwing me off just a bit to keep getting prompted to choose a file and then having to click "New Document."

I don't really care whether it defaults to saving the new document to iCloud or my Mac, I just want to click the icon and have it open to a new document.
I've started using the new Notes application for this purpose now.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

So does anyone have ML installed on their Retina MBP?

I'm finding switching spaces is now laggy and stuttery. Also are there supposed to be any updates from software update yet? We installed ML on an 11" air (although that was an update, and on the MBP it was a complete reinstall) and it immediately had an update, but nothing on the rMBP. I'm going to do more openGL benchmarks on this thing but so far it's not being too cool.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

tuna posted:

So does anyone have ML installed on their Retina MBP?

I'm finding switching spaces is now laggy and stuttery. Also are there supposed to be any updates from software update yet? We installed ML on an 11" air (although that was an update, and on the MBP it was a complete reinstall) and it immediately had an update, but nothing on the rMBP. I'm going to do more openGL benchmarks on this thing but so far it's not being too cool.

The update is a SMC firmware update that turns on Power Nap. It's not out yet for the mid-2012 retina macbook pro, unfortunately.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Peven Stan posted:

The update is a SMC firmware update that turns on Power Nap. It's not out yet for the mid-2012 retina macbook pro, unfortunately.

Okay, thanks. It's not something I'm desperately in need of anyway.

I ran a Cinebench openGL benchmark and actually got 1-2fps faster than Lion (~41.75fps Vs 38-39fps -cool!). The stuttering while switching spaces seems to happen when Safari is running mostly.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
During some point back in 10.5, my 2008 MBP lost the ability to sleep after a set amount of time. This deficiency carried on through Snow Leopard and Lion. Yesterday, I installed Mountain Lion and my sleep's finally working properly again! Dunno what the heck that was all about...

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
In the Ars review of ML, I noticed this:
http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/installer.png

How do you change the thumbnail of a disk?

Edit: Can I no longer drag in a custom image for my user icon in System Preferences?

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jul 27, 2012

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Small White Dragon posted:

In the Ars review of ML, I noticed this:
http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/installer.png

How do you change the thumbnail of a disk?

Edit: Can I no longer drag in a custom image for my user icon in System Preferences?

http://eshop.macsales.com/Reviews/Framework.cfm?page=/icons/icons.html

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Does anyone know how I can remap the Dictionary trackpad shortcut on Mountain Lion? I have the three-fingered tap mapped to opening a link on a new tab on BetterTouchTools, and it's driving me crazy.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
There is definitely something wrong with the system Keychain. It won't remember passwords, and it won't say they're the right passwords. Fantastical, Messages, Calendar, all have this problem.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Montalvo posted:

Does anyone know how I can remap the Dictionary trackpad shortcut on Mountain Lion? I have the three-fingered tap mapped to opening a link on a new tab on BetterTouchTools, and it's driving me crazy.

Turn it off in system preferences and use BTT to remap it to something else.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Someday I may get an up-to-date code. Should just spend the $20.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
It's not that exciting guys. I don't know where the huge sense of anticipation is coming from.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

I'm just pissed they removed the ctrl-option-apple-8 shortcut for inverting the colors on the screen.

That's some bullshit right there.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

HolePisser1982 posted:

I'm just pissed they removed the ctrl-option-apple-8 shortcut for inverting the colors on the screen.

That's some bullshit right there.
I actually played around with this for a while (no idea why). I knew it was a combination of a bunch of modifiers + 8 and I couldn't get it to work ever.

:(

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Did you check Universal Access in the sys prefs? That's where the toggle happens, maybe they changed the key combo?

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

It is in the keyboard -> shortcut preferences. For some reason it's turned off by default, now. But just check it and it works again.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

smackfu posted:

You'll feel like a dingus when it shows up the hour after you buy it.

(I'd like mine too, though.)

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Yeah, that'd be cool. I'm not dying for ML but the waiting for something that we're entitled to, and then being disappointed when everyone else gets it and we just wait and wait is kindof a bummer.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

What the deal with putting gatekeeper? Is it active by default or the users just cram it to the max and proceed to cripple themselves?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Bleusilences posted:

What the deal with putting gatekeeper? Is it active by default or the users just cram it to the max and proceed to cripple themselves?

Gatekeeper has three security levels:
1) App-store only
2) App-store and signed apps
3) Go Hog Wild!

The 2nd option is the default.

Also, anything you had installed prior to updating is whitelisted.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
^ This is a much more intelligent response. :)

Bleusilences posted:

If I remember correctly, the default setting is to Allow programs to run from the AppStore and known, registered developers. That's the middle of the road option.

Shmoogy posted:

I am doing the second one-- for unsigned apps you can hold down control and click "Open" to bypass security restraints manually.

That's really cool and something I didn't know, thanks.

decypher fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 27, 2012

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Bleusilences posted:

I am doing the second one-- for unsigned apps you can hold down control and click "Open" to bypass security restraints manually.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Shmoogy posted:

This sticks, too, so you only have to do it on the first launch of every app.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

smackfu posted:

Mine took about 46 hours in the end.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
I am going to install VMWare fusion on my new Air.

In the past, I've always run the "More Isolated" option out of paranoia / laziness: I didn't want to go through all the trouble of keeping my Windows machine airtight for viruses, but I also didn't want to risk anything contaminating anything I needed.

However, I only use Windows for one program (Tableau), and it's kind of a pain in the rear end to pass my data documents back and forth through the systems (via a second Dropbox) as opposed to a more integrated approach.

Am I being too paranoid? Is it possible to allow Internet access per-application in Windows? As a use-case, my ideal solution would be to only allow some Windows applications Internet access through my Mac, since I'd never ever actually need to fire up Windows. Or is it worth it to keep More Isolated running?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
How has the up-to-date process worked for goons outside the U.S.? I can't really figure out how it works outside, and it doesn't seem to accept any country-specific parameters.

Finally figured out that part.

Shouldn't my e-mail ID also be the one I use to log into iTunes with?

It also insists in area-specific digits in my phone number, even though we don't really have those here. Weird.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 27, 2012

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)
Dashboard is still useful if you need it. I have family in the UK, in Uruguay, in Taiwan and I'm in Canada. Dashboard lets me have four clocks and four weather widgets so I know when to call etc. I also have an English to Madarin translate widget, currency exchange into 5 different currencies, a British English dictionary (because I refuse to start spelling things the North American way) a Ski Report for the local mountain, iStat and as of five minutes ago the hidden files widget.

However, if you don't have a useful need for it it is pointless. But I guess that's true of anything.

I also have an iphone, but somehow this is more convenient than apps.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I hope this is the best place to post this.

I currently have an iMac with a 256GB SSD (~155GB partitioned for OSX). All of my media (music, movies, films, vacations pics, etc) are stored on a separate external 1TB USB HDD. I also use TimeMachine to backup my PC plus my media drive on a separate HDD.

I was thinking about buying a WesterDigital 6TB My Book to consolidate my Media and backups, but I'm trying to be as efficient as possible. Since TimeMachine will continue filling its backup drive until full I was thinking that I should buy the 6TB drive, set it up as a RAID1, and partition 500GB for TimeMachine and just dump all of my media on the remaining 2.5TB. That way I have the media covered via RAID1 and the OSX stuff covered (although redundantly) via TimeMachine.

Is this possible?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm suddenly having connection problems with both my MBA and Mini running Mt. Lion. As of this morning neither device can connect to the Internet using my wifi network, but my other iMac running lion and all my iDevices are connecting with no issues whatsoever. Airport utility on both my MBA and Mini show that the cable router is disconnected and the airport is fine. I have restarted the cable modem but that changes nothing.

Is anyone else running into this? I'm off to work right now and hope that the iMac there isn't running into this problem as I don't have my Lion installer anymore to be able to roll back and I really need to be able to get online.

Edit: apparently I can connect online at work using the wifi setup here. So I'm thinking that there are some settings that Mt. Lion borked when installed into my MBA and Mini. This is very odd as my MBA was connecting just fine on my home network last night, and it was just this morning that it started having problems. I've deleted the network and re-added it in the network preferences, renamed the service, and reset the service order which has been suggested in other forums, but to no avail. Apparently this is a big problem for people and is quite widespread.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 27, 2012

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe

No. 6 posted:

Is this possible?

Yes. All you need to do is setup the partitions and RAID under disk utility and then select the 500GB RAID in Time Machine.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

smackfu posted:

I just got the email a few hours ago, about 48 hours after submitting it.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Yep I got mine 49 hours after submitting it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Well, after preparing backup for about 9 hours my Time Machine is finally working again, albeit it seems to be going rather slowly. It's got 17 gigs to backup though, so hopefully it'll finish quickly enough (it's only done like a gig in an hour, though :> ).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Does Lion Server's Profile Manager do anything that Apple Configurator doesn't with regards to iOS device restrictions? Even in Supervised mode, where you are supposedly acting with absolute authority over your cart full of iPads, AppConfig has no provision for setting a Restrictions passcode or circumventing each individual device's main passcode. Would Profile Manager or some other MDM be less lovely about that?