Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blinn
Mar 24, 2005

TaurusOxford posted:

Hulk/Nemesis/Sentinel - Team Online God

the main reason I hate playing online is running into teams like this.. especially when playing technical juggle characters like magneto. the netcode means I have to do simplified combos that barely dent their 1 mil+ health and of course Old Man Magnus dies in one touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Anyone watch Viscant go full retard w/ Vergil on TRB last night? Helm Breaker Helm Breaker Helm Breaker Helm Breaker Helm Breaker

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Dren posted:

Anyone watch Viscant go full retard w/ Vergil on TRB last night? Helm Breaker Helm Breaker Helm Breaker Helm Breaker Helm Breaker

You just described 97% of the current population of Vergil players.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Orange Crush Rush posted:

You just described 97% of the current population of Vergil players.

Which in turn is 85% of the current online community.

Asobu
Sep 16, 2007

My guitar is in my BUTT!
Soiled Meat

WalrusWhiskers posted:

If you guys weren't playing online you'd be able to grab shuma out of mystic smash every time.

It's possible, but it's not easy. Especially when he's level 3 x-factored.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Yea true, but pretty everybody is scary in xfactor 3. Some characters with good normals, like dormammu, can just totally disrespect anything that shuma does, though.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Didn't finish watching TRB yet but here is the hypest set I've seen since EVO:

http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/326392439?t=2h58m

Wolf Street (Trish/Phoenix Wright/Rocket Raccoon) vs Infrit (Nova/Spencer/Sentinel)

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Dren posted:

Well that's Vergil's pattern when he's low on health in the final fight of DMC 3, so it's totally legit. :colbert:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Dren posted:

Didn't finish watching TRB yet but here is the hypest set I've seen since EVO:

http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/326392439?t=2h58m

Wolf Street (Trish/Phoenix Wright/Rocket Raccoon) vs Infrit (Nova/Spencer/Sentinel)

Street needs to get Trish combos down. I liked that Nick combo, though.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Is anyone familiar with the "Throwing Through Blockstun" glitch/feature? The theory is that if you land while in blockstun there is one frame where you're throwable. I can't get it to work reliably. I'm using Haggar's running grab with it's 8 active frames to make things easy but in conjunction with Cold Star I've only seen it work twice in dozens of attempts and haven't been able to make it work with Plasma Beam or Jam Session once. Does anybody know more about why exactly this works or how to make it work more reliably?

edit: I've been trying to do the very simple blocked standing pipe on jumping opponent, delayed cancel into piledriver and it won't connect. I'm thinking they have to block the assist and be grabbed simultaneously on the exact same frame that they land, this causes the game to get confused. If this is the case the timing seems like it'd be prohibitively difficult.

Fenn the Fool! fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 28, 2012

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Assist Me! Taskmaster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zeB6rEu5XU

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
^Well that's pretty timely! I just got a Hori Real Arcade Pro for my birthday which means I can finally devote some time to learning a real team- previously I had gone with whatever gimmicks I could think of because my execution on pad is somewhere between bad and terrible. I'm currently tinkering around with Wolverine/Taskmaster/Wesker. Is this a decent team? I'm still in the muscle memory process of each of their BnB's and can't really figure out if there's decent synergy here, but it seems like it what with any Wolvie combo ending with Fatal Claw being dhc-able into up Legion Arrow (and further into Phantom Dance if necessary but it doesn't seem like there's much damage there)

Also, getting confirms off of Task's arrows with Wolverine figures to be a bitch outside of pre-planned or setup mixups/attacks.

ps if this team isn't a decent option, I'm also looking at Wolv/Sent/Wesk and Cap/Sent/Wesk. Maybe even Cap/Task/Wesker?

edit - okay maybe I'm ADD as gently caress but how do you guys practice? I can't make myself do it, my brain keeps telling me to scrub it up online

Omnikin fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 28, 2012

Davion
Apr 9, 2002

One shall stand, one shall fall.
Looking to get some feedback on what team I should play. I've been playing for a long time and am trying to nail down the cheapest team I can play. I've got it narrowed down to three teams.

I started out playing Dormammu-a/Vergil-y/Wesker-b and the 'cheap stuff' factor on the team is very high. Dormammu Darkmatter->VergilAssist->Teleport.M, j.S->full combo provides great mixup with easy confirms and the Wesker assist helps enormously to turn any touch into a OHKO. DHCing from Dormammu into Vergil is quite strong, and usually leaves Vergil with a wallbounce and groundbounce for maximum damage off the DHC sword loop follow-up . If Dormammu dies Vergil/Wesker means that any helmbreaker is a one hit kill if I have enough meter for the sword loops/Level-4 super. X-Factor 3 Wesker needs no introduction and is always ready to make a comeback. From this team I would say that Vergil is my strongest character and I have no problem doing any of his sword loop stuff for max potential damage.

The other teams I am considering are Vergil-y/Magneto-a/Wesker-b and Dormammu-a/Vergil-y/Magneto-a. I like the former because it means I have a great assist for Vergil mixup and all of Vergil's combos get the benefit of Wesker OTG. However, I feel like the latter team with Dormammu on point is an overall more powerful team and I enjoy playing Magneto a lot more than Wesker, but I feel like my Vergil/Dormammu suffer for it since there aren't really any combo extension assists on this team.

I'm having a lot of trouble with Hulk at the moment, and moderate trouble with Wolverine when I have Dormammu on point. Which team would you recommend for a matchup like Hulk-b/Nova-b/Sentinel-a where Hulk is charging around doing super armor moves with drones locking you down. Magneto assist doesn't even stop his charge and I just get blown up all day.

At 1:35:50 in this video you can see a matchup of the Vergil/Magneto/Wesker team against Hulk and it's rouuugh. http://www.twitch.tv/ralstoninstall/b/325276547

More footage at 1:44:10 and 2:06:30 of the Vergil/Magneto/Wesker team in this video http://www.twitch.tv/ralstoninstall/b/323595122

Davion fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 28, 2012

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Omnikin posted:

I'm currently tinkering around with Wolverine/Taskmaster/Wesker. Is this a decent team? I'm still in the muscle memory process of each of their BnB's and can't really figure out if there's decent synergy here

Also, getting confirms off of Task's arrows with Wolverine figures to be a bitch outside of pre-planned or setup mixups/attacks.

ps if this team isn't a decent option, I'm also looking at Wolv/Sent/Wesk and Cap/Sent/Wesk. Maybe even Cap/Task/Wesker?

edit - okay maybe I'm ADD as gently caress but how do you guys practice? I can't make myself do it, my brain keeps telling me to scrub it up online
I think ___/Sentinel/Wesker is a strong setup if your team's focus is for the first character to wreck shop. Cap (ambiguous cartwheels) and Wolvie (all of his bullshit) get strong mixups off of Sentinel drones, and Wesker helps with Wolvie's damage output for OTGs after throws or after air combos for Fatal Claw loops or whatever combo you come up with. Don't think Wesker helps as much for Cap's damage since Cap can self-OTG already. I do like Taskmaster better than Sentinel as an active character, and his assist is also good but for a different purpose. Less mixup potential but it clears out space for your active character to get in. Of those teams I'd play Wolvie/Task/Wesker, but I'm biased because I'm already a Wolvie player with Wolvie/Wesker/Akuma and I don't like Sentinel.

As far as practicing, I feel like you should do whatever feel is the most productive at the time. If what you need to work on is matchup experience or nerves, then play against people. If you need to work on combos because you need more damage output or you keep dropping them, or if you need to work on your setups, mixups, or general execution, hit training mode.

Davion posted:

[Vergil-y/Magneto-a/Wesker-b
With Vergil being your strongest character, I think this is the way to go. There's also the current trend of Vergil anchor, so you could go with Wesker/Magneto/Vergil too. It's probably because I watch a lot of Champ on FGTV, but I really think Dorm should be paired with Doom missiles.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Hulk thing is pretty straight forward. You're covering your teleports with EM disruptor, but it only hits once, and Hulks moves have more armor than that. So effectively you're not covering your teleports.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Safety Scissors posted:

The Hulk thing is pretty straight forward. You're covering your teleports with EM disruptor, but it only hits once, and Hulks moves have more armor than that. So effectively you're not covering your teleports.

That's not the case here, the case was sent drones ate up the EM hit (or else sent would have eaten the hit and flopped backwards). Most of hulks moves have 1 hit of armor, and I think the biggest armor chain he can cancel into is something like 5, but that's 5 hits over a very VERY long period. You'd only be able to counter something like sent drones with that armor.

This is referencing the first vid link.

Davion
Apr 9, 2002

Wozbo posted:

That's not the case here, the case was sent drones ate up the EM hit (or else sent would have eaten the hit and flopped backwards). Most of hulks moves have 1 hit of armor, and I think the biggest armor chain he can cancel into is something like 5, but that's 5 hits over a very VERY long period. You'd only be able to counter something like sent drones with that armor.

So what else can I do with Vergil/Mag to deal with the drones? Teleport.H into helm breaker or j.S doesn't seem great, especially where he can do meteor super on reaction. Once I get cornered it's always over against Hulk.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Davion posted:

So what else can I do with Vergil/Mag to deal with the drones? Teleport.H into helm breaker or j.S doesn't seem great, especially where he can do meteor super on reaction. Once I get cornered it's always over against Hulk.

I think you should NOT be pushblocking hulk when he's got assists on cooldown. I think everything he has is throwable. Lets not forget vergil H destroys low/ med priority projectiles. Also, charge up the sword projectile vergil has, launch it, wait for it to come back to you, assist + teleport BEFORE YOU PICK IT UP SO IT CROSSES UP HULK, and the combined power of EM blast + sword should power through anything not super.

Davion
Apr 9, 2002

Wozbo posted:

I think you should NOT be pushblocking hulk when he's got assists on cooldown. I think everything he has is throwable. Lets not forget vergil H destroys low/ med priority projectiles. Also, charge up the sword projectile vergil has, launch it, wait for it to come back to you, assist + teleport BEFORE YOU PICK IT UP SO IT CROSSES UP HULK, and the combined power of EM blast + sword should power through anything not super.

This is all great advice. Thanks a lot!

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Oh yeah, not sure about this one (gonna have to lab it) but his GAMMA CHARGE RAPE YOU where he dashes backwards (Never ever pushblock gamma charge unless its the AA version) should be punishable by vergil's dashing stab when there's no assist. This one I'm really not sure about but it just came up in my head.

Wozbo fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 28, 2012

Erik The Viking
Apr 12, 2012

by Fistgrrl

Wozbo posted:

Oh yeah, not sure about this one (gonna have to lab it) but his GAMMA CHARGE RAPE YOU where he dashes backwards (Never ever pushblock gamma charge unless its the AA version) should be punishable by vergil's dashing stab when there's no assist. This one I'm really not sure about but it just came up in my head.

Why should you never pushblock it?

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Erik The Viking posted:

Why should you never pushblock it?

Its one of the few moves where you'll recover three years before he does with him in training mode closeness if you don't pushblock. Pushblock adds frames of blockstun to you.

And I just checked the bible: It has 27 frames of recovery when you follow up with L, which is the forward dash, and 32 when he does the back dash.. Pushblock adds 21 frames of blockstun no matter what (meaning you have to be tighter on your punish) whereas the charges all put hulk at -11 to -16. For reference, this means you can 100% hit with a M with lax timings, or hit with H if you are really good on the timing for front dash, and stinger on backdash reliably.

TL;DR With push block: You will recover with 6 frames to spare, without you will recover with 11. 6 frame means you have to start with a L on very strict timings, 11 frame means you can hit M reliably or start with H.

Of course, they can always cancel into a super, but most hulks won't on the backdash/ expect you to pushblock the front dash. Get a jump on them and the scrub tier won't start the super in time.

Or, you can always throw on the front dash and not even worry about it, and make hulk afraid to do moves.

Boobs is Fun!
Jun 25, 2005

KaneBlueRiver
The Chilean Sensation
#1 Hulk/Haggar in the World
If the hulk is on point enough to go back when he sees you're not flinchin, or kiss you with just one blocked hit then go back, it's much safer.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
YEah, another person you never want to pushblock is a sentinel. No matter what, his strings all put him at a minimum -11 on block when you aren't pushblocking, but will put him at -4 or less when you are (For reference, vergil's st.L is 6 frames).

DISCLAIMER: These are all for ground blockstrings, all air -> ground strings have 0 recovery once you hit the ground, lovely as that may be.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Anyone down for a 360 tournament on Sunday?

I'd be down for it. I wont be home from work till 5 est though.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wozbo posted:

The Sent drones thing happened twice in the first round.
During the 4th round at 1:41:45 you will notice sentinel is never on the screen and EM disruptor simply goes through Hulk.
At 1:41:53 the Hulk simply jumps over the EM disruptor and comes down with S while Vergil is dashing.

Starting third round the opponent stopped calling sentinel assist and dealt with the teleport mix up with Hulk alone.

You can try the sword + assist teleport mix up if you want, however that won't prevent what happened at 1:41:53. My advice would be to learn how to play a little more lame against Hulk (and other hard hitting characters with poor mobility options) with the sword throw, qcf+a, and assists. Right now you're going for the teleport mix up every time, and that makes it a lot weaker.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Safety Scissors posted:

The Sent drones thing happened twice in the first round.
During the 4th round at 1:41:45 you will notice sentinel is never on the screen and EM disruptor simply goes through Hulk.
At 1:41:53 the Hulk simply jumps over the EM disruptor and comes down with S while Vergil is dashing.

Starting third round the opponent stopped calling sentinel assist and dealt with the teleport mix up with Hulk alone.

You can try the sword + assist teleport mix up if you want, however that won't prevent what happened at 1:41:53. My advice would be to learn how to play a little more lame against Hulk (and other hard hitting characters with poor mobility options) with the sword throw, qcf+a, and assists. Right now you're going for the teleport mix up every time, and that makes it a lot weaker.

I just looked at both of these, and the problem is the raw teleport. A proper teleport mixup will make you left/ right with only a few frames to pick which one. It would be something like L M H + A1 (I think) -> M tele. Hulk still has a little time to react, but you aren't able to just do a raw charge or jump S that way, because super armor doesnt start immediately. You want to make it so there is no > 9 frame gap in your mixup string for that.

Or simply put, there has to be < 9 frames between when mag's EM disruptor hits and when you are officially on the other side and your mixup is safe. There is a lot of buffer room in trick down to manage this, so the player's timing was off.

These are different from the incident he was directly talking about where the drones WERE the thing that ate up the durability.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3
Thinking of picking up the 24" Sony PS3 3D display because it's ridiculously cheap at the moment. But I'm worried about input lag. Do any of you have experience with this monitor?

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

Thinking of picking up the 24" Sony PS3 3D display because it's ridiculously cheap at the moment. But I'm worried about input lag. Do any of you have experience with this monitor?

Can't find anything about it in the thread for displays on SRK. If you're really worried about lag just pick up an ASUS VH236H like everyone else does (unless you actually want a TV)

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
I've used the sony ps3 3d display for a while now and while there is no lag that I can see, it does seem to have hdmi handshake errors every once in a while that could seriously ruin a match when the screen goes out.

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.
My buddy completed his second video of Wesker combos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pH0LsdVCKs&hd=1

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Dzus posted:

My buddy completed his second video of Wesker combos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pH0LsdVCKs&hd=1

Your buddy rules. I've been using the LMH-gun loop to start my Wesker combos since his first video.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I dunno if this is old news but I just found out you can cancel taunts with a THC, that's cool.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
With Hulk remember that nothing he does is safe without meter/assists and that he has no mixup game.

The only good L/R Hulk mixup I've ever seen is AA gamma charge w/ the go forward followup + assist. Essentially, Hulk square dashes over you (with super armor) while calling an assist. It's really only a wakeup/incoming mixup since he has to be on top of you to do it.

When you fight Hulk stay fullscreen and zone either with your point or by calling your assists. Otherwise, block everything he does. Also, do empty jumps on him. He'll for sure throw out a s.H hoping to AA you. The s.H is unsafe and so is everything he can cancel it into so just wait for his string to finish and punish him. If he doesn't throw out the s.H AA jump in with an attack to remind him that he wants to hit that button.

If you play Wolverine you can superjump, wait till you hear him preemptively s.H, then divekick to catch him in s.H recovery. If he doesn't take the bait just let it be an empty jump. This is one of my favorite ways to kill Hulk at the start of a round. Wolverine superjumping is very powerful s.H bait.

You can punish his gamma charge + the forward followup with a throw. But be careful if he has meter because he can cancel to his invincible gamma crush hyper to beat the throw attempt by frametrapping you. You should, at least at first, respect this option if he has meter. Gamma Crush is punishable on block if he does cancel into it so just keep blocking and punish the hyper.

Once a Hulk player registers that you're respecting the Gamma Crush he'll be less likely to cancel Gamma Charge into Gamma Crush. He will also be less likely to cancel Gamma Charge into Gamma Crush if he's already burned a few meters making his blockstrings safe. If you wait Hulk out and block him for a while you'll be able to catch him doing something unsafe and kill him. Ultimately, the Hulk fight is about blocking him until he gets frustrated.

Boobs is Fun!
Jun 25, 2005

KaneBlueRiver
The Chilean Sensation
#1 Hulk/Haggar in the World

darealkooky posted:

I dunno if this is old news but I just found out you can cancel taunts with a THC, that's cool.

You can cancel deadpool's with a launcher!

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Boobs is Fun! posted:

You can cancel deadpool's with a launcher!

I literally have a swag combo that involves 4 taunts.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Earlier in the thread someone was talking about a Japanese Shuma player doing like 80 hit touch of death combos. Is there a video of this archived somewhere? I'm firmly of the opinion that his assist makes him secretly godlike but he needs to work so hard to do damage it makes him kind of worthless outside of Xfactor anchor.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

http://www.twitch.tv/finalroundbats/b/325816714

About 2h15m. He TODs X23 with a combo that ends in 2 Hyper Mystic Rays but I think only costs him half a meter total. He plays for resets like it's just short of a TOD on normal health characters though.

\/ - Yea, his Raccoon is also pretty serious, and he doesn't pick log assist. If you watch that whole thing, there are a few pretty wicked Raccoons playing and none of them are Kusoru.

ChristsDickWorship fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 30, 2012

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
That guy's Rocket Raccoon and his Shuma are both great. He uses Mystic Stare and Ray to zone like they are not even charge moves. Using Mystic Stare + assist to cover Mystic Smash on the way in is pretty good. There probably isn't much in the game that can out durability that. Also, it looked like he had some frame traps with Mystic Stare. His use of Rocket Raccoon's traps for lockdown is pretty great as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Holy poo poo. That dude is my new hero. I wish I could play Shuma that well, but it seems that team is all designed to function a very specific sort of way. Still, utterly godly.

• Locked thread