Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
We lucked out getting THREE Wills/Trusts/Estates questions in VA. NO Secured Transactions, NO Creditors' Rights, NO Negotiable Instruments. Oh well, I guess it was useful for me to study them a bit and learn somethin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The year I did Virginia, we had two questions on Equity of all things. It was awesome because I knew a lot about equity.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Attention Texas takers:

Albert defo made the promissory note payable to Danny instead of to the order of Danny.

1. Doesn't that mean its not negotiable?

2. How did I get to the point where I would ever know this or care to know this?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

HolySwissCheese posted:

Attention Texas takers:

Albert defo made the promissory note payable to Danny instead of to the order of Danny.

1. Doesn't that mean its not negotiable?

2. How did I get to the point where I would ever know this or care to know this?

Things you will remember about commercial paper a year from now:

1) Commercial paper is boring.

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Turned down the crazy collections lady.

Got an offer letter from the LA class action torts firm. 58k/year with billing requirements that are pretty hefty; I'd be there 8:30 am to well after 6:30 pm. Health insurance premiums partly covered.

This feels too low, especially considering it's at will and I'd have to relocate.

Associates start out at around 90k in my home market, which is a secondary market that would not require a relocation.

That would be $ 38,280 per year after tax.

Assuming $1,200 in rent, that's $ 14,440 per year subtracted from my after tax, leaving $23,880 per year for EVERYTHING ELSE, or $1,990 per month, or $66 per day for everything; food, health insurance, car, drinks, whatever.

Dang I wonder if I can live on that in LA.

Martin Random fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 27, 2012

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

Martin Random posted:

Arbitrary parking tickets are going to eat half that, you are a dead man.

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
It works out to $23/hour, with hours so long that I won't get to have a life. One week of applying, two interviews, two offers. I can do better than this.

For what it's worth, the crazy collections lady LAUGHED at me when I offered to work for her for 60k, in the much less expensive San Fernando Valley area. She said that was a ridiculously low salary and she couldn't consider paying an associate that.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

No profit sharing/bonuses for the class action firm?

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

Martin Random posted:

I'd be there 8:30 am to well after 6:30 pm.
These seem like pretty reasonable hours to be honest.

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

gret posted:

No profit sharing/bonuses for the class action firm?

Not unless I bring the case myself. I can do better locally. It's sad that my home town's lovely secondary market starts associates off at 30k above what their offer was, and has a far lower COL. There's got to be something wrong with that firm.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Ani posted:

These seem like pretty reasonable hours to be honest.

Yeah that's not bad at all, unless "well after 6:30" means 8:30 and not 6:45.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004
the warszawa, I expect to see you in a flag football game come October

just lettin you know

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Martin Random posted:

Got an offer letter from the LA class action torts firm. 58k/year with billing requirements that are pretty hefty; I'd be there 8:30 am to well after 6:30 pm. Health insurance premiums partly covered.

This feels too low, especially considering it's at will and I'd have to relocate.

Associates start out at around 90k in my home market, which is a secondary market that would not require a relocation.

That would be $ 38,280 per year after tax.

Assuming $1,200 in rent, that's $ 14,440 per year subtracted from my after tax, leaving $23,880 per year for EVERYTHING ELSE, or $1,990 per month, or $66 per day for everything; food, health insurance, car, drinks, whatever.

Where are you now? Secondary market in NorCal that starts at 90k says Sacramento to me.

$60k is pretty low for LA proper, but I know people dealing with that in LA who seem to be OK.
Better to be employed as a lawyer not making much than sitting on your rear end. Easier to get a job if you have a job.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Today went well. I dunno, don't feel too good about it on the whole but whatever. Probably my turn to be the thread pariah for a while anyway. Going to get wasted and be on the beach for the next three months - if you're in SD (Ling etc) let's chase skirts.

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

sigmachiev posted:

Today went well. I dunno, don't feel too good about it on the whole but whatever. Probably my turn to be the thread pariah for a while anyway. Going to get wasted and be on the beach for the next three months - if you're in SD (Ling etc) let's chase skirts.

You did fine.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Hey crankdatbatman, if you're still reading this thread, how's your USPTO training been going? I would just PM but it seems you don't have platinum, sorry to all my other law bros.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
we should have a pto drinkup one day

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Sounds good to me, now that I'm actually here I'm feeling way less neurotic about the whole thing than I was before!

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

CaptainScraps posted:

Things you will remember about commercial paper a year from now:

1) Commercial paper is boring.
Listen sweetheart, I just spent 3 days smelling four hundred people's desperation and trying to figure out whether John gets to inherit Ann's china, all while realizing I may, nay will, die alone.

And all I really care to know is if Albert's promissory note was negotiable.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Yeah that's not bad at all, unless "well after 6:30" means 8:30 and not 6:45.

that's not that bad at all either

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Working twelve hours a day is A Bad Thing.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Martin Random posted:

What do you consider to be a hefty billing requirement?

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
I don't personally know this, but I'm guessing if revenue depends on billables, then 12 hours a day is pretty tough.

Friend of mine works for this group in DC, she pulls 90+ hours a week. Insane.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
Whenever someone tells me they billed 2500 hours last year or were in the office 5am to midnight yesterday or something, I feel like they are looking for "wow good job thats impressive!" but all i can think is "oh my God you poor man"

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Omerta posted:

What do you consider to be a hefty billing requirement?

I consider anything above 2200 to be a high billing requirement worth a pretty significant salary given what you're giving up to be able to do that, and in order to pay for the inefficiencies that arise from a worker devoting that much time to work and not other maintenance issues like cooking cleaning and attending to personal business himself. That's where you need the salary - to pay for drycleaning, food prep, laundry services, conveniently located apartment, all the poo poo that makes you able to not spend time on day to day and instead be a crisp, neatly pressed billing machine.

It depends on how they count them, but these guys are looking for 50 a week, or 2400 per year. Now that's nothing if you aren't honest with your hours, but if you're scrupulous, 80% of your time each day as billable hours is pretty good, which means to hit that target you're spending 12.5 hours per day in the office, five days a week, or about 9 hours per day in the office 7 days per week. 80% is a goal either something many attorneys aspire to or which is easily reached, depending upon your area of law. Big corporate lit associates can bill the time they're taking a poo poo, while midlaw transactional associates with clients that pay attention to their legal fees stop the clock to burp and forgive the client for time spent researching dead ends, etc.

fougera posted:

that's not that bad at all either

I'm glad there are people like you out there to do all the jobs which require that sort of devotion and sacrifice. I haven't found a law job that is worth such a sacrifice, but maybe our priorities are different.

Martin Random fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 27, 2012

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I have a good job, and get paid way too much for what I work, and my well-suckled dick is this big x 100:

8=========================================================>

Clearly I still envy Martin Random.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 27, 2012

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

Martin Random posted:

It depends on how they count them, but these guys are looking for 50 a week, or 2400 per year.
That's a really high minimum, whether or not you're unscrupulous with your hours. If that's what you meant by 8:30 - 6:30, then yeah, it's a lot of hours (going to be a lot worse than 8:30-6:30).

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
What kind of Plaintiff mass tort firm has billable hour requirements? Do they do securities work?

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Roger_Mudd posted:

What kind of Plaintiff mass tort firm has billable hour requirements? Do they do securities work?

Yes. No. Yes. No. Was unable to get a clear answer during the interview.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

Nero posted:

Whenever someone tells me they billed 2500 hours last year or were in the office 5am to midnight yesterday or something, I feel like they are looking for "wow good job thats impressive!" but all i can think is "oh my God you poor man"

I remember when Mookie would post stuff like that and I would cringe. But he made a lot of money and seemed to thrive on that amount of work. But for me, no amount of money could compensate for having no life outside of work. I got out of practicing in large part to get away from billing pressure.

Whatever happened to Mookie anyway?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

quepasa18 posted:

I remember when Mookie would post stuff like that and I would cringe. But he made a lot of money and seemed to thrive on that amount of work. But for me, no amount of money could compensate for having no life outside of work. I got out of practicing in large part to get away from billing pressure.

I think you answered your own question, there.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

quepasa18 posted:

I still am uncertain which $5,000 brief case I should buy.

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

I'm on track to bill 2400+ but it's really not bad. my firm requires almost nothing in terms of non-billable time, so it's not like I'm working 10 hours to bill 5 hours. if I'm in the office, I'm billing. I think I have like 14 hours of work for the whole year that hasn't been billable. but the firm is also jammed with work.

also being slow at work sucks; my friend just got stealth fired as a first-year.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I'm on track to hit 2300 hrs

But it's 60% nonbillable

I hate my life

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Mr Gentleman posted:

I'm on track to bill 2400+ but it's really not bad. my firm requires almost nothing in terms of non-billable time, so it's not like I'm working 10 hours to bill 5 hours. if I'm in the office, I'm billing. I think I have like 14 hours of work for the whole year that hasn't been billable. but the firm is also jammed with work.

also being slow at work sucks; my friend just got stealth fired as a first-year.

I'd punch myself in the eye with a fork if I had to work 2400 hours in a year. If I had to work that much, I'd have left the firm for an in-house position long ago.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

commish posted:

I'd punch myself in the eye with a fork if I had to work 2400 hours in a year. If I had to work that much, I'd have left this miserable career paththe firm for an in-house position long ago.

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

commish posted:

I'd punch myself in the eye with a fork if I had to work 2400 hours in a year. If I had to work that much, I'd have left the firm for an in-house position long ago.

really? that's like 50 hours a week over 48 weeks.

I mean I could understand if you were working 70 hours a week to bill those 50 hours a week, but actually working 50 hours a week is very reasonable.

zilong
Jun 14, 2007
;o;
USPTO guys, how do I nail the phone interview I have next week? It's for GS-7 chemistry. My understanding is that these lower level interviews consist of behavioral questions and basic understanding of what the PTO does.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I have a hard time imagining ever being that efficient. Don't you go out for lunch? Or ever shoot the poo poo with people at work? Or read the news? I wish I could bill every hour I'm in the office, but it's not even close, and it also isn't really because of admin or investment nonbillables either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

yeah, I do both (I mean look I'm posting right now), so there is some time on top. it's just that there is tons of poo poo to do. I always have work backed up in the pipeline, so I never spend any time, e.g., sitting around the office waiting for something to get kicked down. from talking to my friends at various firms, my understanding is that's where a lot of the wasted time is going. (that and crap like admin meetings, making firm newsletters, etc.)