Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
Is there a spell or item that would give someone a swim speed for a short period of time?

Like if a heavily armored paladin fell off a boat in the open waters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meepo
Jul 30, 2004

Touch of the Sea

Air Bubble is useful too.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So I've created a ranger. An Elf skirmisher who's bond is with the team as opposed to an animal and longbow combat style. I like to keep my characters simple so trying to manage spellcasting, combat, and an animal companion at the same time. So I'm taking advantage of the Elf favored class option to get a 17-20 crit range +4 crit confirm on my bow and skirmisher abilities such as vengeance strike and aiding attack.

Any thoughts on my build? I've never played ranger before and from what I remember back in my 3.5 days, they were underpowered.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 26, 2012

Meepo
Jul 30, 2004

Benny the Snake posted:

So I'm taking advantage of the Elf favored class option to get a 17-20 crit range on my bow

I'm pretty sure that only gives you a bonus on the confirmation roll, it doesn't increase your threat range.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Meepo posted:

I'm pretty sure that only gives you a bonus on the confirmation roll, it doesn't increase your threat range.
Oh. Yeah, it only does it for crit confirm. drat.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Any ideas on the best crit threat range I could get when making a level 12 pc?

Meepo
Jul 30, 2004

15-20. They removed a lot of the ways to stack really high threat ranges (improved crit and keen don't stack with each other anymore, for instance). If you want the most overall damage, grab something like a keen falcata (which would be 16-20/x3)

Meepo fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 27, 2012

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Meepo posted:

15-20. They removed a lot of the ways to stack really high threat ranges (improved crit and keen don't stack with each other anymore, for instance). If you want the most overall damage, grab something like a keen falcata (which would be 16-20/x3)

A keen falcata threatens on a 15 as well, for a nice 30% crit chance :eng101:

Pathfinder pretty explicitly makes sure crit-range expansions never stack, so a keen 18-20 weapon is the best you can ever do, but critting on a 15 with a scimitar or a falcata is just fine for most purposes.

If you really want to abuse crits, see the feat Butterfly Sting and get a buddy with a Scythe.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
I also happen to like the Falchion! Really consistent damage

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
Er, yes I should correct myself. A keen falchion is 15-20. A Falcata is 19-20/x3, so keen would make it 17-20/x3. Which is still a nice 20% crit threat chance, at a beefy x3 multiplier. Really one of the very very few exotic weapons worth using.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Alright. I have a new campaign coming up with my group and we're all just getting our new character ideas planned out before we start. Problem is, I'm absolutely atrocious at making characters (seriously all I ever really do is just pick Barbarian and dump everything into strength and extra rage powers) and I was hoping for a little input on the terrible character idea I had.

Warning. My idea is seriously terrible but I want to roll with it because I'm almost always comic relief anyway.

I was planning a Kobold (great start already) who fervently believes he is a dragon. Starts off with the Dragon-Scaled and Gliding Wings racial traits to back up his beliefs. My immediate plan was to run him as Ranger and get Aspect of the Beast ASAP and focus primarily on natural weapon fighting (most likely giving him the "Adopted" trait too so I can nab the Half-Orc's "Toothy"). However, my long-term goals are also to get him into the Dragon Disciple prestige class so I can start rocking ability boosts, breath attacks, and form of the dragon. I was thinking dip into a level of Bard with the Arcane Duelist archetype because not only would that give me Arcane Strike for free but also it will net me Knowledge Arcana and other prerequisites for Dragon Disciple.

Obvious feats I want to nab are Rending Claws, Improved Natural Attack, Multiattack, and Power Attack but I'm just not sure how to plan this all out ahead of time to make this character "bad" instead of "just plain terrible" and hopefully not die along the way.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
You're literally, literally trying to do a Str-primary build with a race that starts off with -4 to strength

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Do the Kingdom buiding rules from Kingmaker exist anywhere except the adventure path and the books by by Job Brazer enterprises? (I don't want to get the adventure path because I still hold out hopes of playing in a game of it that lasts for longer than the first two encounters*, and the JoN Brazer stuff sounds like it's an :effort: reprint of the Kingmaker stuff, which isn't something I feel should be rewarded)

* Seriously. If Kingmaker was a computer game, I could play through Olaf's trading post in my sleep.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Danhenge posted:

You're literally, literally trying to do a Str-primary build with a race that starts off with -4 to strength
If it makes you feel any better you can pretend I said Half-Orc and I'll just silently make terrible decisions on my own.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Kaubocks posted:

If it makes you feel any better you can pretend I said Half-Orc and I'll just silently make terrible decisions on my own.

Like, for clarity's sake. What point buy are you guys going with? Let's say, generously, you're doing a High Fantasy Point Build. If you buy a 16 strength, that puts you at 12. That blows!! But it's the best we can do and you're going to need a 13 at some point to pick up power attack. So now you're down to 10 build points left. You need at least a 12 charisma. We're down to 8 build points. So at this point you buy a 14 con because you're a frontliner and ideally you'd buy a 16, because that would put you at 14 so you don't go splat, but as it is you're going 12. So you have 3 buildpoints remaining which you can spend however you like. I'm going to buy a 13 int just because it'd be nice to speak common too. If you need it to fill some sort of pre-req, put it where you like, but keep in mind you'll need someone else who speaks draconic just to communicate with your party.

So we've got:

Str 12
Dex 12
Con 12
Int 13
Wis 10
Cha 12

I'm so hot right now.

Happily because Pathfinder is a little easier on skills you at least don't have to go Bard at first level just be to be certain you hit your pre-reqs!

I honest to god have no idea what you're going to do during your first level when you don't have any natural attacks, but let's talk about 2nd level. I don't know what you took at 1st level as your feat because, poo poo, apparently weapon focus for natural attacks isn't a thing. Who knows. Maybe one of those other dragon-ish feats.

Anyway your attack routine isn't as awful as it could be because at least, at least you've got the advantage that all of your sets of natural attacks are "primary" so you don't actually need multiattack. +2 bab and +1 str means you're rocking +3 1d3+1/+3 1d3+1/+3 1d4+1. I hope you don't have to go one on one with a wolverine because, congrats, that CR 2 animal is going to eat you for lunch! It's got 28 hitpoints (once it rages, which it definitely will, because you can't do 22 hp of damage in a round unless you crit and then roll maximum damage on every attack) to your 18-20 hp. Its attack routine, once its pissed, is +6 1d6+4/+6 1d6+4/+6 1d4+4. Your only saving grace is you're probably wearing armor and so your AC of, let's ballpark it, 17, is a little better vs. its +6 to hit than your +3 to hit vs its 12. It has to roll an 11 and you have to roll a 9, but it has to roll a lot fewer of them.

Good luck!

Danhenge fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 27, 2012

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

We've never really done point buy with my group-- just the standard of roll 4d6, drop the lowest and add them up. Assign each of these to ability scores as we see fit.

Also I was under the impression you could choose stuff like Claws for Weapon focus.

I mostly just wanted to go down the route of Natural Weapon fighter mostly because me and magic don't mix at all. If a Sorcerer-turned-Dragon Disciple works out great for a Kobold then I'd love to hear a build for it. I've just never dabbled in the arcane arts.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
May I ever so humbly suggest that instead you go Half-Orc and take the adopted trait twice to pick up the wings and scales and then beg your DM to let you have Draconic as one of your starting languages? Literally play yourself as an "adopted" child of Kobolds who got WAY bigger than anticipated and you're convinced that you're actually More Dragon than everyone else in your tribe because your parents were never nice enough to tell you the truth.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I... will actually seriously think about that. That could be fun. How would a Natural Attack build pan out starting like that?

EDIT: Eh, you know what, I'm just going to try something else. Thanks for the input though. I knew it was a stupid idea going in but part of me just wanted to believe it would all be okay.

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jul 27, 2012

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Angrymog posted:

Do the Kingdom buiding rules from Kingmaker exist anywhere except the adventure path and the books by by Job Brazer enterprises? (I don't want to get the adventure path because I still hold out hopes of playing in a game of it that lasts for longer than the first two encounters*, and the JoN Brazer stuff sounds like it's an :effort: reprint of the Kingmaker stuff, which isn't something I feel should be rewarded)

* Seriously. If Kingmaker was a computer game, I could play through Olaf's trading post in my sleep.

The Jon Brazer Enterprises book actually has a good bit of work in it, for what it's worth. It expands both the kingdom building and mass army rules, reprinting what came out to about 14 pages in the two AP volumes, expanding that up to 38 pages of actual rules and gamemastery content in the 48 page book, or the 52 page PDF.

That's the only other source for the rules that I know of. Sorry.

gdsfjkl
Feb 28, 2011
Ask your DM if you can play a kobold that for some reason has the stats of another race, just to make the character playable. I mean, being unable to play the character you want because the race is suboptimal is awful.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
It sounds like you want a Dragonwrought Kobold. I don't think they made it into Pathfinder sadly but maybe ask your GM about it?

edit: Or probably something or other from Races of the Dragon. I'm separated from my books presently so I can't recall the specifics but there was definitely stuff in that book that made kobolds less awful to play.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Kvantum posted:

The Jon Brazer Enterprises book actually has a good bit of work in it, for what it's worth. It expands both the kingdom building and mass army rules, reprinting what came out to about 14 pages in the two AP volumes, expanding that up to 38 pages of actual rules and gamemastery content in the 48 page book, or the 52 page PDF.
Good to know, thank you.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
While we're talking about poor player decisions, my friends and I recently started playing our first Pathfinder campaign and I made the unfortunate decision to try and play a Gunslinger.

My character is currently a lvl 4 Pistolero and after getting the +8dmg bonus from lvl 5. I'm thinking of taking up a level in Summoner, my plan is to make a Tiny 4 armed monkey that could sit on my character's shoulder, with a BAB of 1 he can take Exotic Weapon Proficiency (firearms) as his first feat, and continually reload pistols and handing them back.

I was wondering what type of action handing off a pistol would count as, would it be a swift or a move action to give a gun to a monkey sitting on my shoulder? Presuming that my DM will let me spend an Evolution point on the Eidolon in order to make it tiny, would this idea work, and are there any feats that I could take to make it more efficient?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Serpent Skull is much, much, much better than Carrion Crown. I really do not have the words to properly describe how absolutely poo poo an adventure path CC is.

Do Not Play Carrion Crown.

Also the ongoing pirate AP is pretty good, so consider it as well. I don't remember the name.

I dunno. I read through it, and the first three (Haunted House, Frankenstein, and Werewolves) look fine, barring standard Pazio-isms, i.e. poor proofreading (Trust Points :argh:), stupid NPC tactics, and way more background for NPCs than really needed. Hell, the Frankenstein one actually looks like a fun mystery.

What exactly is your issues with them?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Reskin a Tengu as a Kobold. You can get claws and glide as racials, and your stats won't suck anywhere near as much.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Kaubocks posted:

I... will actually seriously think about that. That could be fun. How would a Natural Attack build pan out starting like that?

EDIT: Eh, you know what, I'm just going to try something else. Thanks for the input though. I knew it was a stupid idea going in but part of me just wanted to believe it would all be okay.

I think that build might pan out OK, actually (as a half-orc)

Since you're rolling and not buying you'd want a minimum of an 11 in charisma so you can cast the 1st level spells. Put your highest roll in strength, your half orc bump in strength. Your next two best stats go in dex and con respectively. Allocate wis and int as desired.

If I'm wrong and you can get weapon focus in your natural attacks then at level 1 I'd get weapon focus(bite). Since you can't claw yet, pick up a big two hander and just swing that and also get your bite (albeit, at a -5, but getting 1.5 strength and then also .5 strength will be really strong when you have a full attack action to use).

At level two you pick up your combat style feat, at three you get weapon focus claw. At five, I'm not sure! Maybe power attack. Pick up eldritch claws at 9 because that's the earliest you qualify, unfortunately. Make sure and have oils of bless weapon/alchemist silver for dealing with DR.

You can probably think of it from there, although looking at Dragon Disciple in Pathfinder it looks like they nerfed the PrC some, although your claw attacks are better.

Danhenge fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 27, 2012

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.

Calico Noose posted:

While we're talking about poor player decisions, my friends and I recently started playing our first Pathfinder campaign and I made the unfortunate decision to try and play a Gunslinger.

My character is currently a lvl 4 Pistolero and after getting the +8dmg bonus from lvl 5. I'm thinking of taking up a level in Summoner, my plan is to make a Tiny 4 armed monkey that could sit on my character's shoulder, with a BAB of 1 he can take Exotic Weapon Proficiency (firearms) as his first feat, and continually reload pistols and handing them back.

I was wondering what type of action handing off a pistol would count as, would it be a swift or a move action to give a gun to a monkey sitting on my shoulder? Presuming that my DM will let me spend an Evolution point on the Eidolon in order to make it tiny, would this idea work, and are there any feats that I could take to make it more efficient?

While this is cute creative solution, did you know that you can reload pistols as a free action just by taking Rapid Reload and using Alchemical Paper Cartridges? It's not cheap at 12gp a bullet, but you can mix it up with some regular bullets as well to reduce the costs when a move action would be fine or for your first bullet per combat. I haven't played a Gunslinger before personally, but it seems to me that losing out on a BAB and the Gunslinger abilities just to save 11gp per bullet is kind of a bad move.

smashthedean fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 27, 2012

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

If you want to go further into the draconic kobolds, there is a 3rd party option from Super Genius Games, Races Revised: The Kobold Kings. Presents a older race of heavily draconic kobolds, the Koldemar, or Kobold Kings. +2 Dex, +2 Cha, -2 Str, but other racial abilities as well. Favored class options for every class (sometimes more than one to choose between) and over a dozen racial feats, with all the traditional draconic options. $2.24 right now at rpgnow for the 20 page PDF if you want.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Capfalcon posted:

I dunno. I read through it, and the first three (Haunted House, Frankenstein, and Werewolves) look fine, barring standard Pazio-isms, i.e. poor proofreading (Trust Points :argh:), stupid NPC tactics, and way more background for NPCs than really needed. Hell, the Frankenstein one actually looks like a fun mystery.

What exactly is your issues with them?
I made a big post about the whole thing a while back, after our group finished the second book, so click on my little question mark thing and look around for it if you want to read that. The short version of my problem with it is that the writers clearly gave even less of a poo poo about varied party composition than Paizo usually does, since it seems like they only play-tested it once with the writer's own specific group.

And here's an even more in-depth long version... [:siren: warning, there will be Carrion Crown spoilers, also a lot of complaining :siren:]

The first book, while I like the flavor of a lot of it, is skewed way, way in favor of caster classes being way more useful than everyone else, beyond even what is normal when playing 3.5/PF, since melee characters literally won't be able to hit the book's most important villains. Until they find a magic weapon (if they find one), they are relegated to bashing on summons and skeletons and mundane, easy enemies until the party's casters bring down the ghost-boss, and there's nothing the martial guys can really do to protect their robed squishy friends from the bosses themselves. On top of that, it makes very little use of the more typically martial-oriented skills like survival, stealth, swim, climb, acrobatics, and so on, so even outside of combat they're usually dead weight. Thankfully, I didn't join the group until they were already only two sessions from the end of the book, so my monk didn't have to suffer through it nearly as much as the Ranger player who moved out of town (monks also at least have rockin' touch AC, so even though I couldn't do much offensively, I could at least kinda tank). To clarify, I'm not personally bitter about it; most of my frustration with the way the first book completely fucks martial characters comes from reading through it after the fact.

The second book is good in theory, but I have two big problems with it:
First, they seriously hosed up the numbers on certain things (there's a semi-optional DC35 linguistics or perception check at one point, which is loving insane since my monk with +4 WIS and max points in perception was only topped out at +14, and no sane player is going to have that much linguistics unless they're running a serious flavor-based gimmick), and there's other, similar examples of things that the party is supposed to be able to do (without taking 20 and spending ages on it, since your investigation is timed) that are typically set about 5 points too high.

Second, they really didn't consider alignments or player motivations in general, since characters who aren't particularly good or honest are going to have little-to-no motivation to do more than just half-rear end the main questline. They get paid whether they succeed or fail, and there was a point at which half uor party was basically saying "this is both tedious and scary, we're out of healing and on too tight of a timer to rest, and we'll get paid even if we fail." It became a choice of role-play and fail, or press on with our only motivation being that this is the game and we don't have much else to do if we don't play it. We ended up turning back after the entire party was reduced to a sliver of health and, as far as we knew, we still weren't any closer to finding whatever thing we were supposed to find. Granted, mistakes were made in those encounters that we probably should have been able to win, but party motivation issues came up again when we were expected to travel to frankenstein's castle for effectively no other reason than out of the kindness of our own hearts. I think the writers assumed that we'd be attached enough to the frankenstein golem or something, or they just expected us to go "yay dungeon" and run there immediately, but it turned into a severely unsatisfying experience after the dungeon failed to really have enough treasure for even our shaky "we're adventurers and there could be loot" excuse to hold up. Even the paladin didn't give a poo poo, since at least half the poo poo we fought wasn't evil in the first place, and we didn't find out about the castle's connection to the big over-arching evil necromancer cult until the very end of the dungeon. The fact that the monsters mostly loving sucked didn't help either (Rust monsters! Constructs with DR and immunity to magic and sneak attacks! Swarms!), so we were half-heartedly playing the game simply because it was there in front of us to be played, and that's bad.

And in a surprise merger of the motivation problem and the numbers problem, the final boss of the book is about 5 CR too high for the party (CR13 for a level 7-ish party, if I remember correctly), and it has tentacles and grab and long reach, meaning that it could effortlessly kill any party member with no chance for them to escape if they so much as wander into its room (our DM ret-conned the death of the paladin to say that he saw the creature on the ceiling before it attacked, even though we didn't, and gave him a chance to flee the room since he knew there was pretty much nothing we could have done about it the first time aside from getting luckier on a perception roll). The writers intend for you to fight it by controlling the high-CR frankenstein monster, though it's too weak to kill the boss alone, so your party has to go in there and help it out to win. The issue there is that the players don't know the CR or respective strength of either of the monsters, and they especially don't know that the boss's "AI" says that it'll specifically target the frankenstein golem above all else, so there's very little reason for them to go in and fight the giant horror-beast. And that's not to mention the issues of even getting to the golem control mechanism on the roof without fly (you have to go through a ladder in the boss room, which effectively means sacrificing at least one party member to tentacle-death while someone climbs up and starts the machine), plus the issues you're going to have if the person that climbed or flew up there lacks a good Use Magic Device score and your party didn't find/couldn't read the instructions.

The third book we only got a little bit of the way through, and it did seem a lot better in all regards, though we already ran into a snag when the guy that we were supposed to spend like a week investigating pinged as Evil for the paladin moments after we met him and then immediately failed to bluff my monk about not being involved (that's where the "suspicion points" or whatever would normally have come in, if only accusing him straight to his face didn't instantly ramp them up to the maximum level). Normally the DM could just quietly decide that he had some sort of non-detection on if he's aware of how much of a problem that creates, but ours was so surprised (and aware of how sick we were all getting of the campaign) that he just flat-out said "Wow, they didn't expect you to have a paladin at all." And even then, the dude would still have lost to a simple Sense Motive.

That entire campaign was basically my Worst Gaming Experience except that it was all far too loving mundane to put in the bad gaming experience thread. On the bright side, it got me acquainted with the group I'm currently playing the ongoing pirate campaign with, and so far we haven't really had any problems.

I think Carrion Crown makes a good premise for a campaign, but I don't think it makes for very good fun at all unless you've got a DM taking a ton of liberty with it. It's good when you skim it, but it falls apart during actual gameplay since, as far as I can tell, paizo didn't give half a poo poo about play-testing the thing. It also doesn't help its case to compare it to Serpent's Skull, since Souls for Smuggler's Shiv is probably one of the best APs Paizo has written.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 28, 2012

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

On the topic of Adventure Paths, I'm curious as to any of your impressions of Legacy of Fire. I'm currently running it (only on book #1 at the moment) and would like some opinions of it.

The party has only barely started to clear out the town, but one thing I have noticed is the huge disproportionate level difference, at least in Kelmarane. After the monastery, which I thought worked well as an area (pugwampis aside), nearly every encounter is around CR4 and I'm wondering how they even expected a party which could only possibly be at 2 to deal with it? There is only one encounter (the snake) which could be reasonably dealt with at the level. Have I missed something, or is it just really intended to be quite the challenge?

I should also note I have read the blurb someone gave it on the first page of the thread, but I'm looking for a more detailed opinion of it.

Kalsco fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jul 28, 2012

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Kalsco posted:

On the topic of Adventure Paths, I'm curious as to any of your impressions of Legacy of Fire. I'm currently running it (only on book #1 at the moment) and would like some opinions of it.

The party has only barely started to clear out the town, but one thing I have noticed is the huge disproportionate level difference, at least in Kelmarane. After the monastery, which I thought worked well as an area (pugwampis aside), nearly every encounter is around CR4 and I'm wondering how they even expected a party which could only possibly be at 2 to deal with it? There is only one encounter (the snake) which could be reasonably dealt with at the level. Have I missed something, or is it just really intended to be quite the challenge?

I should also note I have read the blurb someone gave it on the first page of the thread, but I'm looking for a more detailed opinion of it.

I remember two big things about Legacy of Fire:

1. Achievement feats are a horrible idea. Who though counting the number of gnolls you kill was a good idea? Because it's not.

2. My eyes completely glazed over while reading the second adventure.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Hm. I see. Those are some good points. I'm going to have to think about this.

Carrion Crown Spoilers:
Definitely going to add some Ghost Touch weapons to the stock in the supplies. That didn't even occur to me.

The Beast is a bit more problematic. Outside of the "I'll pay you if you figure out what happened" there isn't really much of a reason to care at the start. Maybe get the Beast to drop some hints about the Whispering Way talking with his creator.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

Capfalcon posted:

Hm. I see. Those are some good points. I'm going to have to think about this.

Carrion Crown Spoilers:
Definitely going to add some Ghost Touch weapons to the stock in the supplies. That didn't even occur to me.

The Beast is a bit more problematic. Outside of the "I'll pay you if you figure out what happened" there isn't really much of a reason to care at the start. Maybe get the Beast to drop some hints about the Whispering Way talking with his creator.

You could tell it to them straight - their contractor believes the antagonists are setting up the Beast to take the fall for their activities in this area. The Party's jobs are to find out what the antagonists did, why they did it, and where they went. They can't do that if The Beast is dead, so bringing them in as Advocates and exonerating The Beast seems like the best way to throw a kink in the Big Bad's plans.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

You could tell it to them straight - their contractor believes the antagonists are setting up the Beast to take the fall for their activities in this area. The Party's jobs are to find out what the antagonists did, why they did it, and where they went. They can't do that if The Beast is dead, so bringing them in as Advocates and exonerating The Beast seems like the best way to throw a kink in the Big Bad's plans.

I don't think that's correct.

Most of the things that happened to the Beast are just hilariously wrong place/wrong time. Honestly, the Beast doesn't have anything to do with the rest of the campaign aside from his link to his creator.

...which means maybe I should fix that.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Rolling up a 5th-level Samsaran Wizard for a game starting Monday; I think I'll take the Mystic Past Life trait instead of Samsaran Magic, but I'm not sure whether I'd want to pull from the Bard or Witch spell lists. Bard would get me the options of Cacophonous Call, later on Arcane Concordance, Glibness, Good Hope, and the Cure X Wounds series if those become handy. From Witch I'd probably take Spit Venom, Pox Pustules, Vomit Swarm, but there's so much overlap with the Sor/Wiz spell list that it's tough to find anything else.

Also debating whether to go generalist or specialize in Conjuration (edit: not Evocation). I'm filling my book with spells that don't focus on HP damage; it's fine if it's there, but battlefield control and extra utility are Job One.

redstormpopcorn fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jul 29, 2012

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.
So I'm going to be running a game soon, and one of the changes I've made to the regular Inner Sea setting is that cars exist, but are primitive and either run on magic or 1800s-early 1900s internal combustion/steam/electric engines. Basically terrible Model T-era cars that break down a lot and you'll get a concussion trying to drive on a dirt road in most of them. Pretty much going for a Legend of Korra feel on them.

Anyone know how I'd stat this up? I'm thinking just messing with the carriage stats and adding an explosion upon crash for the engine would work.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

saberwulf posted:

So I'm going to be running a game soon, and one of the changes I've made to the regular Inner Sea setting is that cars exist, but are primitive and either run on magic or 1800s-early 1900s internal combustion/steam/electric engines. Basically terrible Model T-era cars that break down a lot and you'll get a concussion trying to drive on a dirt road in most of them. Pretty much going for a Legend of Korra feel on them.

Anyone know how I'd stat this up? I'm thinking just messing with the carriage stats and adding an explosion upon crash for the engine would work.

There are always alchemical engines (under Propulsion and Driving Checks.) There's already a vehicle with stats (albeit a flying, colossal one) that explodes when it crashes, the Alchemical Dragon. Probably would want to tone it down, as you're not exactly in a giant war-airship, but the basis for what you want is there in its entirety.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.
That's exactly what I was going to do in relation to the explosion thing— Alchemical drives gave me the idea along with the Model T's under seat engine. I'm just wondering if there are any other things I should add on.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
I think I might have decided on my "plan" for my Druid in that one game that's been on hiatus since January. I asked for some advice a while back, thinking of trying to play up a "mounted druid", but now I think I have something more fun.

I'm thinking of playing up this "ice age" angle, and being a caster-focused Druid, with cold spells. The Rime Spell metamagic feat is interesting, for +1 level it lets a cold spell Entangle any enemy for a number of rounds equal to the spell's original level.

Even at third level, with a limited number of spells, this could still be very interesting. If I prepared a "Rimed" Frostbite, I'd have a touch attack with some amazing effects on it.

1d6+CL damage (no cap on the +)
Target is Fatigued with no save from Frostbite (no run/charge, -2 STR/DEX)
Target is Entangled with no save from Rime (half speed, no run/charge, -2 to hit, -4 DEX)

So, with no save at all, a "Rimed" Frostbite is a melee touch attack that gives the enemy -2 STR, -6 DEX, -3 to hit (including the STR penalty), and makes it so they move at half speed and can't run or charge. All with no save.

This all lasts exactly one round, which doesn't seem great, until you see the last line of Frostbite: You can use this melee touch attack up to one time per level, and note that the spell has no duration. Technically, if you were very careful not to grab anything with that hand, you could hold those charges all day, until you've used the attack a number of times a day equal to your CL. I can whack them with it every round for three rounds, with huge benefits for my party.

Included in that would be my animal companion, a Tiger. With 2nd level spells, I could cast Lockjaw on him, giving him Grab with one of his attacks. His CMB with Grab is +9, and with all the penalties from my spells, the enemy is at a -6 CMD, which is a effective +15 CMB for my Tiger. If he succeeds, his CMB to maintain is +20, which is crazy at level 3.

Also, I'm not sure if this is legal RAW, but my DM has ruled that the attacks you get from Frostbite or Produce Flame work with iterative attacks, and the two-weapon fighting feat. So, I could cast Flame Blade in my right hand, and Frostbite on my left hand, and attack with both at a -2 penalty with TWF. That's tempting, but I'm pretty sure if I'm holding two touch spells I can't cast other spells (like Entangle or Spike Stones or whatever)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Are there any other interesting ways to attack someone's Dexterity? That touch attack can apply a -6 DEX penalty, and if I or some party members could lump on some more DEX penalties we could put the baddies in a real bad way.

Also, a "penalty" to Dexterity isn't the same thing as having your Dexterity reduced, is it?

Like, when you hit 0 DEX in Pathfinder, you're paralyzed. Does this mean that a creature with a DEX of 6 is completely Paralyzed when my touch attack goes off? Or does that only happen when your score is actually reduced via ability damage/drain?