Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

These two pictures really illustrate his beefy fuckin' shoulders. Oh Moses :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Oh man, after looking at those two albums, Super, I totally agree. I liked him before the beefening (I could be biased, though, I tend to like Koji's slim structure more than other Sheebs, but I do know that's because he was neutered at an extremely early age...) At least he is still a very Good Dog. :3:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Roostroyer is so cute :3: I have to lock him out of the coop an hour or so before bed time because he gets horny and starts to harass the hens, specially Rusty. So if I want them to setle for the night with no problems, Roo has to go in last.

This is what he does o let me know he wants to go to bed, awwww poopyhead :3:

Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!
He came and got you, oh my god :kimchi: Your chickens are so awesome.

A poor sick dog (you can even see her pill bottles on the table behind her):

My boyfriend came home yesterday to Savannah puking all over the living room. :( We took her to the vet, all of the tests came back normal except she was dehydrated and had elevated glucose(?) levels. I'm not sure what caused it, but now she has charcoal tablets, antibiotics, and EN food until her system calms down.

And I ran over a nail at some point yesterday. It was the best day ever.

Fake edit: I do love how she likes to sleep on the back of the couch like a cat

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I didn't know you meant he actually comes in the house to get you. :3: Thought you just meant he came up to the window. And does he always talk that much? :3:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

He always talks that much, he's such a big fluffy dork :3:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Chido posted:

He always talks that much, he's such a big fluffy dork :3:

That's one cute cock. :kimchi:

Now: Dags.

Dog you don't fit in there, get o-oh you're sleeping. Alright.

Some sort of Terrier mix. He was a friendly dude.

Paging P.Fox to this thread. His name is Sy :3:

Sy's tail is so curly it goes around in a complete circle. :kimchi:

Dog why are you laying like that?

Reminds me of that 'donno lol' emoticon. Also that picture doesn't do justice to his size. So huge. Bernese Mountain Dogs are the size of A Mountain.

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

Superconsndar posted:

He's a great hog dog and has been used on just about every critter in the world. He will tree coons, then climb the tree after them, and come back down with a dead racoon. :3:

You know it's funny you should mention that. Eva's dad does the same thing and it looks like Eva will as well. Here she is trying to go up trees after squirrels here and here.

I absolutely do NOT NOT NOT let her do this regularly, in fact I don't let her do it at all except for this once. The LAST thing I want is for her to hurt herself and be hosed like Angus is. Just how crazy into it she got floored me. I wanted to get a quick video to show her breeder how her drive is turning out, I figured she'd just chase them around a bit and bark at them in the tree.

Being a batshit insane spaz is her specialty.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

SuperTwo posted:

I absolutely do NOT NOT NOT let her do this regularly, in fact I don't let her do it at all except for this once. The LAST thing I want is for her to hurt herself and be hosed like Angus is.

I let Moses do that poo poo all the time and don't really see a problem with it, it's just jumping

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Superconsndar posted:

I let Moses do that poo poo all the time and don't really see a problem with it, it's just jumping

Given that Eva is still young and that Super has had problems with Angus' health, its easy to see why she's reluctant to allow it. Once bitten, twice shy and all that.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

^^^^^^^^^^CULL THE WEAK!!!!! :black101:

(and the beefy. Cull everything.)

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Superconsndar posted:

^^^^^^^^^^CULL THE WEAK!!!!! :black101:

(and the beefy. Cull everything.)

To be quite honest, I'd love to see my dog try to climb a tree. For whatever reason, our development has 90% pine trees and that's where the squirrels like to chill. He like to stand on the trunk and stare at them while making noises.

There is also the fattest pug (someone just moved in with it) and it barked at me and Bailey and I couldn't figure out wtf the noise was until I notice it and then saw it bark. Its...special. I've always loved pugs (and other brachy breeds like bostons and frenchies) but its such a shame they're so hosed up.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

wtftastic posted:

There is also the fattest pug (someone just moved in with it) and it barked at me and Bailey and I couldn't figure out wtf the noise was until I notice it and then saw it bark. Its...special. I've always loved pugs (and other brachy breeds like bostons and frenchies) but its such a shame they're so hosed up.

When Major had his surgery to drain his weird abscess last year there were a bunch of Frenchies in the recovery area because one of the techs breeds them. Maj was stoned out of his gourd and could not figure out wtf the noises coming from those weird little dogs were. The amount of head tilting going on from both parties cracked me up.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

SuperTwo posted:

You know it's funny you should mention that. Eva's dad does the same thing and it looks like Eva will as well. Here she is trying to go up trees after squirrels here and here.

Ha, Psyche does this when I let her chase squirrels occasionally as a reward for not going after them until I give the say so. She jumps and then tries to scramble up the tree and gets clear over my head before she comes back down.

I worried about it at first (along with all the other stunts she pulls on our furniture without permission), but with all the other crap she puts us through, it just seems pretty minor.

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

Superconsndar posted:

I'll be happy to let her do it all day long when her growth plates close. Until then I want to keep her feet on the ground as much as I can.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

SuperTwo posted:

I'll be happy to let her do it all day long when her growth plates close. Until then I want to keep her feet on the ground as much as I can.

My mom had the same goals.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I was born without growth plates. :smug:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Superconsndar posted:

I was born without growth plates. :smug:

Oh my god you are a robot, I knew it.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
After wanting one since I was 6, I finally got a dawg of my very own! :dance:

Reading up on the nutrition and new dog owner threads now. Gonna take him to the vet this week, he needs to be neutered and we've pulled 4 ticks off of him so far so he needs a thorough checkup. He gives no shits about my chinchillas and my chinchillas give no shits about him, we got him at a Petco adoption event through a local shelter and took him over to the small animals and he didn't react to them at all which mostly sealed the deal that this was the perfect dog for us. He's getting crated when we're not home just to be on the safe side though. He also doesn't care about other dogs, he was barked at and lunged at by other dogs and he gave exactly zero shits and just kept walking.

The only problem he has is stairs, he'll go up them (slowly and carefully) but had to be carried down them earlier so we're gonna have to work on that.

His name is Max :3:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

So I was at boarding today, and I heard we were getting a couple of large dogs. I was like 'oh, probably some pit bulls or a bernese mountain dog or something no sweat.'

We got two Bull Mastiffs :staredog:. The first dude's head is like twice the size of my own, and his comes up to my chest. He's 190lbs of slobber and awesome. The(fawn color) girl is half his size, and only weighs like 160lbs. The big dude is named Sumo. I want to ride him like a pony. :3:

That's a standard sized dog house.

Two BBD(big beautiful dags)

Sweet as cherry pie. :3:

We also found this dog running along a VERY busy intersection. Covered in fleas and underweight.

She's got one blue eye and one brown eye. Anyone in L.A want a Husky? :3:

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

I eat a lot of pistachios. Occasionally Psyche will get ahold of one of the discarded shells, but she is real good about not eating things that aren't food and has never swallowed one, so I don't worry about it.

Today I was eating some and I dropped one still in the shell. She took it and ran off with it. I thought she would just play with it for a while and after a few minutes I asked my husband to go get it from her. He came back with two neatly separated shells and no nut.

I feel strangely proud for some reason.

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

When I eat sunflower seeds the shells are regularly divebombed by the dogs. When they poop them out they are entirely white. Freaked me right the gently caress out the first time that happened I can tell you.

Oh and I tried that half a lemon thing with Angus. He bit it in half.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

SuperTwo posted:

When I eat sunflower seeds the shells are regularly divebombed by the dogs. When they poop them out they are entirely white. Freaked me right the gently caress out the first time that happened I can tell you.

Oh and I tried that half a lemon thing with Angus. He bit it in half.

Haha, Angus owns. :c00lbert:

Did he at least figure out it tasted sour or did he just not give any fucks at all? :3:

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

He chewed it up a little and then yucky mouthed and left lemon parts all over my floor. I think it was the bitter peel he didn't like because he'll happily steal my chicken when it's marinating in lemon juice.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Shadow is officially a Good Dogge. :3: He was a little slow with the down, but that's because he's kinda used to following my hand and thought I meant for him to sit where I pointed, plus down is one of his least favorite behaviors, especially in strange places.

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 29, 2012

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

What if there is some boy-beast running around Camp Crystal Lake?

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

His name is Max :3:

Enjoy your monster! :3:

Do you have much experience with cattle dogs? You're in for quite the adventure.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2LGZ93BLQs

We get into an argument in this video, because Frankie was more interesting than springpole. I won. :smug:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Superconsndar posted:

We get into an argument in this video, because Frankie was more interesting than springpole. I won. :smug:

That is strangely mesmerizing. I actually watched the whole thing (except I blacked out for a moment around 5:40, weird, not sure what happened there.)

So, is the goal here to create a dog that actually never touches the ground? Because it looks like you're getting down to around 10% these days.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 29, 2012

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Superconsndar posted:

Oh my god. The part where you pushed him to make him swing back and forth caused me to burst out laughing.

"Oh you know, it's just a lazy, dog-dangling afternoon."

I could sit there and watch Moses dangle all day. :allears:

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Ginny Field posted:

Enjoy your monster! :3:

Do you have much experience with cattle dogs? You're in for quite the adventure.

I'm planning on lots of walks and I'm looking around for some agility or flyball to do with him to keep him busy, and he's got a Kong to play with during the day while I'm at work. He seems pretty chill and the shelter volunteers said he's unusually chill for a cattle dog. We'll see how that turns out. Right now he's passed out on my floor, poor guy had an eventful day.

Besides fun activities like agility or flyball is there anything else I can do with him to keep him entertained?

He looks like he's intact, but doesn't act like an intact male dog. No dog aggression and minimal marking. I'm beginning to wonder if his former owner got him neutered but got neuticles installed :downs: I guess I'll find out, his adoption came with a free neuter so if they open him up to find fake balls I guess they could take those out too.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I'm planning on lots of walks and I'm looking around for some agility or flyball to do with him to keep him busy, and he's got a Kong to play with during the day while I'm at work. He seems pretty chill and the shelter volunteers said he's unusually chill for a cattle dog. We'll see how that turns out. Right now he's passed out on my floor, poor guy had an eventful day.

Besides fun activities like agility or flyball is there anything else I can do with him to keep him entertained?

He looks like he's intact, but doesn't act like an intact male dog. No dog aggression and minimal marking. I'm beginning to wonder if his former owner got him neutered but got neuticles installed :downs: I guess I'll find out, his adoption came with a free neuter so if they open him up to find fake balls I guess they could take those out too.

Haha, that reminds me. The dog trainers I'm working with are very good about reading new articles and such on dog-related things. But they never heard of neuticles, and didn't believe me at first when I told them. They thought I was making a joke. Cue one of them googling it and going 'oh my god it IS real! Why?!'

Also you could look into getting food/treat dispensing toys. The tug-a-jug comes to mind. The dog has to work/figure out how to get the toy to give them the food, so it can be useful!

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

What if there is some boy-beast running around Camp Crystal Lake?

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

There are a few other cattle dog owners here in PI who I'm sure can chime in as well, but for me the key was just giving my dog an outlet for her energy, mental stimulation and a consistent routine. My fiance and I managed a high-energy cattle dog in a one-bedroom apartment for a year before moving into our own home. I found that once she learned what we expected of her, everything began to go smoothly.

Agility or flyball would be great! And definitely look into clicker training-- these dogs are so incredibly smart it's an absolute joy to teach them things.

They definitely have a mind of their own, and can be unbelievable assholes, but they are also wonderful, fierce little companions. I wouldn't trade mine for the world.

If you have archives, there was a cattle dog thread a while back.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

That is strangely mesmerizing. I actually watched the whole thing (except I blacked out for a moment around 5:40, weird, not sure what happened there.)

:solanadumb:

quote:

So, is the goal here to create a dog that actually never touches the ground? Because it looks like you're getting down to around 10% these days.

We all got wings for flyin

Bash Ironfist posted:

Oh my god. The part where you pushed him to make him swing back and forth caused me to burst out laughing.

When one hand is not full of camera, I usually swing him like that the whole time. He loves it. :3:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I think Chaplin just tried to... mate... with Breeze? :psyduck: I looked over and he's like half way on top of her, holding onto her neck with his mouth, and Breeze is frozen there with that "scruffed" look. I grew up with unfixed cats, so I'm somewhat familiar with what cat mating looks like. She got out from under him and batted at him as if they were playing. Then he tried something with Freya and... it wasn't a fight, it was more her going after and reprimanding him. Chaplin's been known to badger Freya when he wants to play and she just hisses and runs from him, but this was kinda new. That was just odd so I felt like sharing. Gonna be watching my drat cats closely for a while.

edit: and for clarification yes of course all my cats are fixed

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Moses sounds like he's rusty.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Superconsndar posted:

:solanadumb:

We all got wings for flyin

When one hand is not full of camera, I usually swing him like that the whole time. He loves it. :3:

Haha, and the fact that he would spin himself in those circles like a hula-dancer makes it even better. Also random gremlin Frankie face. :3:

Names I call Feldman:

-Smoosh-pup
-Smooshy puppy
-Smellbutt
-Smellmans
-Bat ears
-butt-butt
-Man/guy/dude/buddy
-Smellface
-pup-pup

Names I don't call Feldman:

-Feldman

I'm surprised he remembers that that's his name.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Give him a month or so to get used to your home, and then you have a more accurate idea of what his energy level is. I have a lazy cattle dog and he's been pretty lazy since I got him from the shelter. He actually got up off the couch and bitched at me just now to put him to bed and go to bed myself because I was up too late.

I still try to provide him with some extra stimulation (he gets his meals from a kong wobbler, all treats are earned by doing tricks/ basic commands, etc) and some structure. I would definitely recommend a toy to feed him his meals regardless of energy level. It makes them slow their eating down and think.

Maybe you have a chill dog or he will become some whirlwind of energy. Only time will tell.

Etheldreda
Jun 1, 2008

I've posted about my reactive dog being pissy with my cats, but that's mostly at night. Here's the kind of thing that goes on in the mornings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hCcW7Qpp1Q

Someday, they will snuggle.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Every night around 9, Orbit wants to play. Usually it's tug, sometimes fetch, sometimes a mix of both. Well, last night I was holding his tug toy and he just would not play, but kept staring at me for something to do. So I ran him through all his tricks and he was soooo excited to do them all, even though I had no treats. I think this is the first time he's come to me to ask to do his tricks. It was the cutest thing ever and i was so proud of him! I went and got a treat after a few rounds of touch touch sit down touch circle shake other foot touch touch down etc and he got even more focused. I think it is time to teach him some new tricks! :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Is it weird that I'm worried that if I take Max somewhere that someone will see him and go "that's my dog!!" and want him back?

He's SO GOOD that I can't imagine that anyone would just dump him or not look for him if he ran off. He was clearly a house dog and he knows how to sit and lay down and has excellent manners (Example: I spilled a little bit of his food on the kitchen floor this morning and he didn't eat any of it until I gave him permission to clean it up for me). I'm having a really hard time wrapping my head around why anyone would abandon this dog. He was picked up as a stray and the shelter had him for a month before we took him home, so his former owners had more than enough time to come get him if they really wanted him.

I found an agility place 15 minutes away that has a basic obedience foundation class starting in September that I think we'll do, then start with actual agility once we get the basics down.

• Locked thread