Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

There's some neat Hassie ads from the 70s that are basically like "we went to the moon bitches" which is really the most awesome advertising for a camera. Very Mad Men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like how they don't brand their lens mount. It's just "the system". What else could you possibly need, bitches?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Is there a term for the Hasselblad mount?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

QPZIL posted:

Is there a term for the Hasselblad mount?

There are two "Systems" now. H-system is the modern one and I think they make their lenses in house but I believe Zeiss made glass for the older generation ones as well.

I don't think any third party lens manufactures have the ability or motive to produce MF lenses as they require a greater degree of manufacturing skill and aren't as profitable.

It's a pretty interesting time for Hasselblad now, they're making a real effort to actually be "affordable."

I've been around the system a few times and they are great cameras but are super limited in some ways compared to DSLRs just by their nature. The basic UI is pretty clunky and makes Canon's menus look like iOS. One focal point seems really weird in the AF wars that DSLR manufacturers are having. The LCD screen is appalling and it's only really worth shooting them tethered.

For what they do do though, they are worth it. The files are gorgeous and the DOF that MF gives you is gorgeous not to mention unlimited sync speed.

But yeah, I wouldn't ever see myself buying one. For just the cheapest body and lens kit they offer I could get two upper tier bodies from canon and nikon and some high grade glass.

Sorry for my unsolicited Hasselblad post!

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force
The Hasselblad mount wasn't named anything until the H-system was invented, now it's referred to as the V-mount.

Also, modern Hasselblad lenses are made by Fuji.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

moonduck posted:

The Hasselblad mount wasn't named anything until the H-system was invented, now it's referred to as the V-mount.

Also, modern Hasselblad lenses are made by Fuji.

Interesting to hear about the Fuji.

I think really Hasselblad prefer to not recognise other cameras exist so aren't as compulsive about labelling their devices.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I do have to say that my 500c/m is flat out my favorite camera. The reason Hasselblad has the reputation they do is because they earned it. If I could only use one camera for the rest of my life it would be the 500c/m with an 80mm.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

moonduck posted:

now it's referred to as the V-mount.

:pervert:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

:smith:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's…………….. true :(

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Old camera ads are neat

There's a bunch I found here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/nesster/sets/72157594578815656/

Paragon8 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 27, 2012

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
How about old camera commercials?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEid8P1Rvrs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ekABlcqiIY

Only the human eye focuses faster. :smith:

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 27, 2012

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

That's $2,957.19 in 2012 dollars :stare:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not any worse than the camera commercials we get today!

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

These are the images of a Rebel.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

DSC_1173.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

This whole book is great.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Mr. Despair posted:

DSC_1173.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

This whole book is great.
Hence the phrase, "Man, whoever designed this was on some heavy Cokin"

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
However, the UK adverts for Olympus were extremely good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_Yo3FRPeQw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckSm10LZauA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEmGUYECa-U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FgboZC57Lk

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Ipad-havers; take a look at Pholium while it's on as a freebie:

http://www.pholium.com/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pholium/id479334940?ls=1&mt=8

I'm going to have a play with it over the weekend, see what I can come up with :)

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Ipad-havers; take a look at Pholium while it's on as a freebie:

http://www.pholium.com/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pholium/id479334940?ls=1&mt=8

I'm going to have a play with it over the weekend, see what I can come up with :)

I want to like it but it makes you put your portfolios in really tacky looking book templates rather than just have it be a flick through on the screen.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Paragon8 posted:

I want to like it but it makes you put your portfolios in really tacky looking book templates rather than just have it be a flick through on the screen.

Yeah, I think it's aimed at the 'home user' market rather than something like Xtrafolio or Portfolio: for Ipad, but for free it seems to make decent results.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

spog posted:

However, the UK adverts for Olympus were extremely good:

David Bailey looks like a fun time

David Bailey by nick step, on Flickr

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

Paragon8 posted:

Interesting to hear about the Fuji.

Actually, Fuji makes the entire H system. I believe the H-system was built as a collaboration between Hasselblad and Fujifilm, just as the Hasselblad Xpan (Fuji TX-1) was. The H-system is still sold in Japan under the Fuji moniker. The Swedes don't really have any direct manufacturer control over the brands with their name on it anymore.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Yeah, I think it's aimed at the 'home user' market rather than something like Xtrafolio or Portfolio: for Ipad, but for free it seems to make decent results.

Is there a good, preferably free portfolio app for android? I've been using the normal, boring gallery app, but I think my photos need to be at a higher resolution first.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Not sure where to put this, but here seems OK for now, it counts as "fun stuff" in my mind at least...

I bought a Canon AE-1 several months ago, originally to help out XTimmy for his trip but now it's mostly just kicking around my place. My justification for going ahead and buying it when I did, after it became clear it could not get to Australia or Indonesia in time, was so I could send it around the Dorkroom.

Would there be any interest in a 'round-the-world camera kind of thing? My girlfriend is willing to supply a sturdy case that just fits the camera, the 50mm f/1.8, the 35mm f/3.5, and maybe the flash if I can squeeze it in. That should keep shipping costs halfway reasonable.

My idea is to run a roll of film through it (I've already run a few rolls through, it works, no light leaks, light meter seems OK), then send it to whoever wants it next. They shoot a roll, and send it to the next person. And so on, for a year or whatever.

I'm thinking the rules, such as they are, for this little adventure would be:
1. Shoot a roll of film, develop it, and post the pictures in the Dorkroom
2. Ship the camera to the next person.

You'd get the use of the camera for free for however long it takes you to burn a roll of film, but you'd be responsible for the cost of sending it to the next person. If this all goes to poo poo and I lose the camera I won't be ruined, but it'd be a pretty big dick move to just say "free camera!" and keep it.

What do people think? Would you be willing to spend whatever it costs to send this thing along (I'm guessing $10-$20 depending on distance - I'm assuming cheapest shipping available for every movement)? What am I not considering, besides the possibility of dickery?

Soundmonkey, are there some details I need to work out with you? Is this a totally bad idea?

Also, XTimmy, where are those pictures from Bali?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I'd play. You could do it among photo exchange people who have some sort of rep? But maybe that's a bit mean!

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I'm down.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ExecuDork posted:

Not sure where to put this, but here seems OK for now, it counts as "fun stuff" in my mind at least...

I bought a Canon AE-1 several months ago, originally to help out XTimmy for his trip but now it's mostly just kicking around my place. My justification for going ahead and buying it when I did, after it became clear it could not get to Australia or Indonesia in time, was so I could send it around the Dorkroom.

Would there be any interest in a 'round-the-world camera kind of thing? My girlfriend is willing to supply a sturdy case that just fits the camera, the 50mm f/1.8, the 35mm f/3.5, and maybe the flash if I can squeeze it in. That should keep shipping costs halfway reasonable.

My idea is to run a roll of film through it (I've already run a few rolls through, it works, no light leaks, light meter seems OK), then send it to whoever wants it next. They shoot a roll, and send it to the next person. And so on, for a year or whatever.

I'm thinking the rules, such as they are, for this little adventure would be:
1. Shoot a roll of film, develop it, and post the pictures in the Dorkroom
2. Ship the camera to the next person.

You'd get the use of the camera for free for however long it takes you to burn a roll of film, but you'd be responsible for the cost of sending it to the next person. If this all goes to poo poo and I lose the camera I won't be ruined, but it'd be a pretty big dick move to just say "free camera!" and keep it.

What do people think? Would you be willing to spend whatever it costs to send this thing along (I'm guessing $10-$20 depending on distance - I'm assuming cheapest shipping available for every movement)? What am I not considering, besides the possibility of dickery?

Soundmonkey, are there some details I need to work out with you? Is this a totally bad idea?

Also, XTimmy, where are those pictures from Bali?

I'm in. Sounds like a great idea.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Sounds good, count me in.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

That sounds like a lot of fun - I'm up for it. I just finished a roll of expired film with my AE-1 today; loving love that camera.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I wish to sign up for this endeavor as well.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I have a few older cameras I'd contribute to the cause. I think I have have a few scale focus or rangefinder cameras with triplets/tessars.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

From experience doing one of these photo-pass-around things, buy the smallest camera you can find and use that. Anything else will get stuck somewhere when someone decides they don't want to pay $20 to ship it out somewhere.

Like a value-village 80s point and shoot.

The fun is still there, but the camera is much more disposable and much more mailable.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah mailing a brass camera around sounds like asking for trouble & ridiculous $ spent on shipping instead of film.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have a 80's value-village P&S. :v:

Actually it's a 90's P&S but technology in the entry level market wasn't moving too fast back then.

It even has a roll of film in it that is probably completely worthless now.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Is the case small enough to fit in a medium flat rate box? That would be ideal (and I'd be game for this as well).

You could also use a Pentax ME Super to help save on size.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If that's directed to me, I'm actually a really bad choice for participant because I just left home on a three week road trip and am approximately 100 miles away from my home now. :v:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Despair posted:

Is the case small enough to fit in a medium flat rate box? That would be ideal (and I'd be game for this as well).

You could also use a Pentax ME Super to help save on size.

You could also use a Pentax ME Super because it's probably best to send around a camera that's not very good or valuable.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Wouldn't it be cheaper for everyone just to buy their own lovely old film camera?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

TomR posted:

Wouldn't it be cheaper for everyone just to buy their own lovely old film camera?

Or you could just use your own DSLR and upload the images to flickr! No postage necessary!

(mailing the same camera around is the entire point of the exercise)