Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I was pleased that they didn't try to make the X-babies "sexy". :unsmith: Then I realized that I'm setting the bar pretty low these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
"These bars are no match for my gypsy strength!"

Never stop running modules, Zach and Steve.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

ChickenHeart posted:

"These bars are no match for my gypsy strength!"

Never stop running modules, Zach and Steve.

Yeah, I was giggling pretty much non-stop through the latest article. If I ever play D&D again I'll be sure to make a wizard and take ventriloquism.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

quote:

Steve: I am going to listen more carefully. This seems like the start of something big.

Zack: "I like to huff on boners," says the half-orc. "Balls are my favorite," counters the necromancer in the exact same voice. "Give me balls yum, yum, yum."

Steve: What manner of deviltry is this?

Zack: Your traveling companions begin laughing because they have tricked you with their ventriloquism magic.

I love how the NPC wizards are medieval frat boys.

neoboman
Feb 16, 2007
My favorite part was Steve pronouncing 'Nikkar' as 'Nikka,' Steve is so racially sensitive.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

These guys are the best wizards ever. RIP Shobaffum.

motherfish
Nov 11, 2005

Page 9; "Hey, what me to get you out, fatty?"
Should be a "want" there?

On the topic of fatties I think I loved this running joke more than I should, the You can hear it asking if you missed because your fat got in your eyes drop was simply divine.

ChuckMaster
Jul 13, 2006

Evil baby bunnies cannot be fed solid food until after the first week.

motherfish posted:

Page 9; "Hey, what me to get you out, fatty?"
Should be a "want" there?

On the topic of fatties I think I loved this running joke more than I should, the You can hear it asking if you missed because your fat got in your eyes drop was simply divine.

This is the point where I completely lost it. The module runs are my favorite articles on SA.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I love how utterly pointless each encounter is. A dining room with one black window spider, non-magical and non-giant. A quadret of gnomes that are slain for no reason. And the dumb selection of spells that nonetheless got used at every opportunity.

I also liked how Trebbelos got younger and younger at the game went on.

mordy
Jan 20, 2008
Last page had me laughing out loud. I really like these ones where you play the games.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
"Their bloodlust cannot be stopped. As neutral characters every good deed they do must be counterbalanced by a senseless act of evil."

I completely lost it here.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I really liked this one!

Have you ever considered playing a high-level campaign just to showcase the ridiculusness of the higher levels?

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Benjamin Black posted:

"Their bloodlust cannot be stopped. As neutral characters every good deed they do must be counterbalanced by a senseless act of evil."

I completely lost it here.

Well, that does seem to have been the mindset of a few of the more terrible players I've played with over the years.

Add me to the chorus of people who love the module play-throughs.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Who actually voiced The Barbarian's Dojo is the real question.

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Just posting to say the 'casual encounters' line from part 1 made me giggle for far longer than it should have. Well done.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I was gasping for air, laughing so hard at this part:

quote:

Zack: The wizard who isn't Nikka or the baby and whose name I have totally forgotten is slain by the skeletons.

Steve: We bow our heads and send him off to the land of the dead.

Zack: The baby takes the corpse's pants down and the dead body says, "Look at my tiny wiener, fatso. Let's be gay forever!"

Steve: I tell them to stop doing that it's disgusting.

Zack: They fold their arms across their chests and solemnly swear to keep doing it forever.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
The DMT and salvia potion was great.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Nucular Carmul posted:

The DMT and salvia potion was great.

This is where I lost it. Poor Steve doesn't know what the gently caress.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I've always wanted to D&D, but I think maybe what I've actually always wanted to do, was to do a fake self-aware campaign not taken seriously like this was. I really enjoyed it.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Krinkle posted:

I've always wanted to D&D, but I think maybe what I've actually always wanted to do, was to do a fake self-aware campaign not taken seriously like this was. I really enjoyed it.

Sometimes reading the classic adventures is way more fun than actually playing them.

The amount of dissonance between player and DM knowledge in a given encounter can be astounding.

"Of course there'd be an ogre with a mace waiting to pulp anyone who was dumb enough to stick their head into that hole. Time to roll a new character at level one, rear end."

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Krinkle posted:

You want to play Paranoia or maybe Gamma World.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:
So Palladium went to the trouble of making up Space History and naming the Gleep Glops and Jerkians but they got to the alien race that looks like humanoid, bipedal axolotls and decided to call them... Axolotl. :effort:

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
"It's ball sacks all the way down." I will never forget that.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I think what really says it all is the fact they have standardized armor. Literally all alien bodies are 99% the same as humans from the neck down.

Yeop.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Awesome fantasy adventure abounds in the latest WTF, DnD?

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/dungeons-and-dragons/conan-nestor-gunt.php?page=1

Thank you for choosing the Gunderman, Gunderland is my favourite province of proud Aquilonia and Conan's early battles with them were a formative part of his life (and by extension, influential to the history of the Hyborean age).

I also enjoyed Greg the horseman.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Now when Zach says "best barbarian accent," he actually means "worst Austrian accent," right? Even when you're not playing Schwarzenegger's character in the first place it's pretty much a prerequisite for barbarians in a Conan setting to speak like the Terminator at all times.

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Steal back Death? That sounds ... tricky.
At the very end seeing the larger picture and discovering our heroic Gunt's rockin' popped collar was the manly cherry atop a perfectly coiffed dessert

Glorious.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Disappointed that you did not play Conan and by you I mean Steve.

General E
Aug 25, 2003

I came across this recently ... I saw the cover artwork and I immediately thought of Steve.

http://www.rangergamespublishing.com/catalog.html

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Let me just say that this guy was always the Walter Matthau wizard to me. Now though, I can't help but see Carl Sagan, and a small part of my childhood has been forever lost.

naem
May 29, 2011

Affi posted:

Have you ever considered playing a high-level campaign just to showcase the ridiculusness of the higher levels?

This! I would really like a play through of a very high level game of the sort that involves all the characters flying, using extremely powerful magical weapons, or maybe battles with deities and extreme high level spells, done in this kind of deadpan humor.

What happens when characters set out earnestly on a night's adventure armed with +2 flaming swords and boots of water breathing, teleportation abilities, wish spells, hurling lightning bolts or casting flesh to stone on whole armies. Or stone to flesh on whole mountainsides. I think that done well it could be really fun as the dm attempts desperately to throw actual obstacles in their way and would show how incredibly silly spending several years on a d&d campaign is Zack style.

naem fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 15, 2012

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Cecil Talbot must be a real hard-rear end after killing monstrosities that horrify even jaded aviators and chinam-mexicans. I'm really excited to what sort of poo poo Steve will be forced to do next update.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I love it when you twos run campaigns. Does the end imply that you're going to run another with the same characters?

elpintogrande
Sep 3, 2000

Yeah, we're going to try to play through all five scenarios in Mansions of Madness, replacing dead characters as needed.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
This was the second-best Lovecraftian tale I've ever seen (the first being Ghostbusters); the best part definitely had to be the insanity-plant taste test.

I'm placing my bets on the Mexican outlasting the entire party.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
I like how the silly backstories of several of the characters imply their reasons for being interested in the occult: a couple of bored old spinsters who hold seances for fun, a pilot who had his career ended by his insistence that weird poo poo is real, and a woman who discovered that she has no recollection of being in the filthiest film ever made. And there's also Chang, who may be pretending (or at least continuing to pretend after an initial misunderstanding) to be a mysterious Chinaman just so he can hang around interesting wealthy people and find excitement. That's good writing, right there.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 28, 2012

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Am I wrong, in my mind's eye, to envision Cecil Talbot as Percy Dovetonsils with firearms?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

gleebster posted:

Am I wrong, in my mind's eye, to envision Cecil Talbot as Percy Dovetonsils with firearms?

I'll just look up who that is and oh my god.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

This update seemed somewhat less "wtf?" and verging on to genuine and unironic enjoyment of the subject matter. Not a criticism, just sort of interesting to note the slight change in tone - the series has always been written with a hint of affectionate parody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I liked the little nods to Lovecraftian racism like everyone assuming a Mexican man is a "mysterious oriental" and Cecil shouting "Speak English!" as his neighbor chants in some ancient alien tongue.

• Locked thread