Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Slifter posted:

A booze related question.

I need to use whiskey in some eggnog and I'm wondering if I should bother buying the nicer stuff. Normally I'd assume any nuances are going to be lost but the recipe I'm using is uncooked and a good quarter of it is whiskey.

I'd probably go with a cheap-but-quality bourbon, but I wouldn't spend more than $30 on something you're going to mix. Buffalo Trace would be my go-to but prices in your area will vary. Maker's Mark is very neutral and nothing special but is widely available without being prohibitively expensive. Don't bother going too nice since that's a waste, so blended whiskey at best. If you go too cheap on it, it'll be terrible because cheap whiskey ruins everything it touches. Don't be tempted to buy a $8 Kentucky Gentleman or something just because the eggnog will mask subtleties of nicer bourbons- because the eggnog will not mask the terror.

Comic fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jul 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I love Maker's Mark and find it eminently drinkable... and I don't even like alcoholic beverages. It's not as harsh as other whiskeys and has a nice, caramel-like aftertaste.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

tarepanda posted:

I love Maker's Mark and find it eminently drinkable... and I don't even like alcoholic beverages. It's not as harsh as other whiskeys and has a nice, caramel-like aftertaste.

Yeah I'm not knocking it, it just doesn't have a lot of nuance that other whiskeys do, and I'll usually recommend it to people who are just starting out or have only had much worse whiskeys. It makes it a fairly reliable cocktail whiskey due to it.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Solkanar512 posted:

So I'm looking at a recipe that calls for roasting garbonzo beans in an oven with various seasonings. I like the general idea, but I want to play around with the beans and am not used to cooking with them outside of making hummus.

My first question: It calls for dried beans that need to be soaked for 12-24 hours, and then boiled for 1-3 hours after that. I'm getting the impression that this site is geared towards some of the sillier natural food trends, and wonder if I am losing by using canned beans instead. I know canned items aren't good for everything, but is an extra 27 hours of effort really going to change much?

My second question: what sorts of seasonings can I put on the beans in a 350 oven for 30-40 minutes without having to worry about them burn? Salt is an obvious one here, but I wonder if it would be better to toss the finished beans in some minced herbs and garlic after the fact instead of during.

Thanks for any advice you might have!
Yes, it makes a huge difference. In hummus, or any kind of ground chickpea apocation, you really need to cook your beans from scratch. The taste and texture need to be very smooth, and you're only going to get that when you cook from dried. For this application, where you need all the beans to be separate, and you will be cooking the hell out of them, tinned will work just fine, because tinned chickpeas tend not to fall apart. Taste wise, and $$$wise, you're better off making from scratch.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Evan Williams is the best cheap whiskey you'll find for this...great mixed and better straight than many other bourbons.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Evan Williams is my cheap go-to.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Just chiming in with a third for E.W.. You can get a half-gallon of it for less than a fifth of Maker's Mark. I actually prefer it to Maker's Mark -or most any other Bourbon until you get up to the $30+ bottles like Woodford Reserve. It's definitely good for eggnog.

Oddly, I don't like the Evan Williams single barrel very much.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Solkanar512 posted:

So I'm looking at a recipe that calls for roasting garbonzo beans in an oven with various seasonings. I like the general idea, but I want to play around with the beans and am not used to cooking with them outside of making hummus.

My first question: It calls for dried beans that need to be soaked for 12-24 hours, and then boiled for 1-3 hours after that. I'm getting the impression that this site is geared towards some of the sillier natural food trends, and wonder if I am losing by using canned beans instead. I know canned items aren't good for everything, but is an extra 27 hours of effort really going to change much?

My second question: what sorts of seasonings can I put on the beans in a 350 oven for 30-40 minutes without having to worry about them burn? Salt is an obvious one here, but I wonder if it would be better to toss the finished beans in some minced herbs and garlic after the fact instead of during.

Thanks for any advice you might have!

I recently made a recipe that called for roasting chickpeas in the oven - I was dubious, but it worked and they got crispy and delicious! I used the canned ones, rinsed to get the "canned goo" sliminess off, and they worked great. I'm sure you could do the same.

In my recipe, we mixed spices with oil and then tossed the chickpeas and other items with the spiced oil, and then roasted on a sheet pan for 20 mins at 450. They didn't burn, so maybe if you tried the same thing (mix whatever seasoning in oil, and toss)?

(This is the recipe if you are interested - it was delicious: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Roast-Chicken-Breasts-with-Garbanzo-Beans-Tomatoes-and-Paprika-242113)

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

dino. posted:

Yes, it makes a huge difference. In hummus, or any kind of ground chickpea apocation, you really need to cook your beans from scratch. The taste and texture need to be very smooth, and you're only going to get that when you cook from dried. For this application, where you need all the beans to be separate, and you will be cooking the hell out of them, tinned will work just fine, because tinned chickpeas tend not to fall apart. Taste wise, and $$$wise, you're better off making from scratch.

Thanks for the advice. I just realized I could pressure cook them and save a ton of time. I have a bunch of cans at home, but when I run out I'll try the dried. My research is saying that if I skip soaking I can have them cooked in 30-40 minutes at high pressure. Though I may ask about this in the pressure cooker thread to be sure.

EVG posted:

I recently made a recipe that called for roasting chickpeas in the oven - I was dubious, but it worked and they got crispy and delicious! I used the canned ones, rinsed to get the "canned goo" sliminess off, and they worked great. I'm sure you could do the same.

In my recipe, we mixed spices with oil and then tossed the chickpeas and other items with the spiced oil, and then roasted on a sheet pan for 20 mins at 450. They didn't burn, so maybe if you tried the same thing (mix whatever seasoning in oil, and toss)?

Glad to know this really works, I've been looking for something interesting and filling for my lunches.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 27, 2012

nomarsh
Feb 13, 2012

CuddleChunks posted:

Solution: shoot yourself.

Randomity posted:

Holy poo poo it would suck to be on that diet.

Yah no kidding dude. poo poo suuucks, losing gluten in particular. she is a stoic personality, I had no idea it was this bad until I got the specifics so I could plan dinner. There's the potential that this will get better & some carbs and dairy will come back, sooner than later if she's strict about the diet. dunno about onions or garlic. Anyway appriciate the advice guys, gonna stir fry tonight & maybe do some rice noodles.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

So. I've got ~2lbs of fresh red habeneros out of my garden, and I'm trying to decide how to preserve 'em, since they're too drat hot to eat in bulk.

I was thinking of pickling them, but it's been a long time since I last pickled anything. I've looked up the proper vinegar ratios, but I'm stumped as to what would make good pickling spices for hot peppers.

Throwing a shot in the dark here based on what I remember and have in the spice cupboard, how does this sound?

mustard seed
black peppercorn
whole clove
whole allspice
juniper berry
dill seed
dried ginger
bay leaf

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Well if they're habeneros, maybe go for a jerk kind of spice? Traditionally jerk uses scotch bonnets, but habaneros are supposed to be similar. I'd say go for allspice (most important), and cloves (use very sparingly, cloves are incredibly powerful). I don't know if jerk flavors would translate that well to a pickle, but maybe it will be great. Only one way to find out.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Keept it really simple, LC. Mustard seed, coriander seed, crushed garlic, salt, whole black peppercorns (like two or three, for the flavour, not the heat). When you get too many spices battling each other for supremacy, you end up with something that you tend not to reach for as frequently (in my personal experience). Who knew the Indian dude would counsel fewer spices!? Tomorrow: pigs fly.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I bought some honeycomb from the farmers market, my fiance's mom tells me it goes rancid if you leave it on the comb for too long, but I was under the impression it has an impressive shelf life. How long will it be okay if it's in a glass jar but not submerged in honey?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
2,000 year old edible honey has been found in Egyptian tombs. I'm not sure if the comb makes a difference.

The honey itself might crystallize, but it doesn't expire.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

I have about 3 lbs of pork rillette left over and have already preserved an assload. Anything I can do with it? Any interesting sandwiches or things to do? Really don't want it to go to waste...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Toriori posted:

I bought some honeycomb from the farmers market, my fiance's mom tells me it goes rancid if you leave it on the comb for too long, but I was under the impression it has an impressive shelf life. How long will it be okay if it's in a glass jar but not submerged in honey?

Honeycomb is made of wax, both it and the honey last forever. I wonder if the honey turned solid and she thought it went bad.

LARRY JEW
Jan 7, 2010

Mopey Dick
Anyone have a recipe for some good eggplant parmesan? I've been craving it for a few weeks and it's always been one of my favorite meals.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Steve Yun posted:

Honeycomb is made of wax, both it and the honey last forever. I wonder if the honey turned solid and she thought it went bad.
Maybe. I had always been told about honey never spoiling, but I wasn't sure if that meant on the comb as well. Which, by the way is just amazing. I may have been Winnie the Pooh in a former life.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Other than pesto that I already have what can I do to use masses of basil?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Scott Bakula posted:

Other than pesto that I already have what can I do to use masses of basil?

Muddle into cocktails, make a basil oil, chiffonade and put in stir frys, use instead of mint in ice cream or other desserts, put in gazpacho, put in salads.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
What kind of cocktails?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Make basil vodka. Put basil in vodka, wait, drink.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Make a gin smash with basil instead of mint.

Edit: I came into just under 10 pounds of white button mushrooms. Gimme ideas. Thanks.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 29, 2012

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

Edit: I came into just under 10 pounds of white button mushrooms. Gimme ideas. Thanks.

Chicken cacciatore.

A small tasty steak absolutely covered in sauteed mushrooms and onions.

Pickle a pound or two for future snacking.

Make a mushroom duxelle and fill some omelettes or crepes.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Beef wellington and mushroom pate and stuffed mushrooms.

edit: Horse wellington. DO IT.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Make proper cream of mushroom soup. Use leftovers to make cassarole for irony purposes.

timmo
May 29, 2004
Does anyone have a 'goto' webstore for knives? I currently working as a butcher, but since I float between stores I carry my own knives with me. Since I'm in the market for some new knives, I figured I might try to see what websites can offer vs brick and mortar stores. So far, with s&h Amazon seems to be right around the same price range.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Casu Marzu posted:

Make a gin smash with basil instead of mint.

Maybe a ketchup?

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
What're some 'essential' food / cooking / recipe blogs that people find themselves browsing consistently? I check SeriousEats whenever I get a chance and it's great for inspiration and ideas but I find it's a bit food-hipster and American focused. I don't mind generalised ones or cuisine-specific ones either, just the best of whatever they're the best of.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
https://www.cookpad.com

All in Japanese, though. It's my go-to site.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

If I'm stuck for ideas, I tend to use BBC food for inspriration. It's got quite a lot of dross from Ready, Steady, Cook, but it's also got a lot of fantastic recipes. And it never uses "cups" as a measurement.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

So I think I know the answer to this, but I have some pork I crock potted to make carnitas. It didn't produce nearly as much liquid as it was supposed to and the top half is pretty dry. Is there any way I can moisten it when I reheat it, or do I just need to cover up the dryness as best I can with sauce?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

timmo posted:

Does anyone have a 'goto' webstore for knives? I currently working as a butcher, but since I float between stores I carry my own knives with me. Since I'm in the market for some new knives, I figured I might try to see what websites can offer vs brick and mortar stores. So far, with s&h Amazon seems to be right around the same price range.

Pretty much Amazon.

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Victimology is all over the place!
Goons, I have questions regarding scallops.

I'm a huge sushi/sashimi fan and recently I've attempted to prepare them myself. I found a great fish shop near my place and bought some tuna and scallops. I tried the tuna both in a tataki and as a sort of tartare (cut the raw fish in cubes and mix with spicy mayo), and they both turned out great.

But the scallops... :barf:. At the restaurant, I love raw scallops (with a spicy sauce or not), so I tried the same sort of tartar as above, but with scallops. They ended up having this really weird aftertaste, which I can only describe as "seawater". Admittedly, I'm a complete noob when it comes to cooking, and to cooking seafood in particular, so I'm sure I did something wrong.

The ones I bought were baby scallops. Scallops in sushi restaurants are usually bigger, so I don't know if that factors into the taste. I'm also not sure if I missed some special washing step.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Bloody Mayhem posted:

Goons, I have questions regarding scallops.

I'm a huge sushi/sashimi fan and recently I've attempted to prepare them myself. I found a great fish shop near my place and bought some tuna and scallops. I tried the tuna both in a tataki and as a sort of tartare (cut the raw fish in cubes and mix with spicy mayo), and they both turned out great.

But the scallops... :barf:. At the restaurant, I love raw scallops (with a spicy sauce or not), so I tried the same sort of tartar as above, but with scallops. They ended up having this really weird aftertaste, which I can only describe as "seawater". Admittedly, I'm a complete noob when it comes to cooking, and to cooking seafood in particular, so I'm sure I did something wrong.

The ones I bought were baby scallops. Scallops in sushi restaurants are usually bigger, so I don't know if that factors into the taste. I'm also not sure if I missed some special washing step.

Unless you specifically buy 'dry' scallops, you are getting 'wet' scallops that have been treated with STP, a preservative. Dry scallops, ones untreated with STP, are expensive and hard to find unless you know someone in the restaurant biz and can toss in your order with theirs. So unless you're willing to seek out and pony up for dry scallops, I wouldn't suggest eating them raw. Hell, even cooked wet scallops aren't that great.

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Victimology is all over the place!

pnumoman posted:

Unless you specifically buy 'dry' scallops, you are getting 'wet' scallops that have been treated with STP, a preservative. Dry scallops, ones untreated with STP, are expensive and hard to find unless you know someone in the restaurant biz and can toss in your order with theirs. So unless you're willing to seek out and pony up for dry scallops, I wouldn't suggest eating them raw. Hell, even cooked wet scallops aren't that great.

Thanks for the info :(:. It's too bad that good raw scallops can only be had in restaurants.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Tip from America's Test Kitchen: dunk stp-treated scallops in a quart of water, quarter cup of lemon juice and 2tbs of salt for half an hour. Sodium triployphosphate binds to protein and won't come out, but at least you can mask the chemical taste.

Edit: typo

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 30, 2012

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Find a god fishmonger (if you are as lucky as I) Most of them carry, or can get diver (dry) scallops for you. Treated scallops are basically seafood flavored gum depending on a 15 second window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Tip from America's Test Kitchen: dunk stp-treated scallops for half an hour in a quart of water, quarter cup of lemon juice and 2tbs of salt for half an hour. Sodium triployphosphate binds to protein and won't come out, but at least you can mask the chemical taste.

So two half hours total? :downsrim: