Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
It's only been a week since Hussie updated and the thread has already hit The Bad Thread level with all this talk of good phrases to describe A Glistening Egbert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Or it's just one FYADer with 3 accounts trying to make it seem like a bad thread. Plus this break should not be as long as the one for AOE 5. No status bar yet.

I prefer music talks and how much I want the source material to Witching Hour so I can edit it. (I know you're here, I know you're reading this, I know you can give me those materials...)

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 25, 2012

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

DaveKap posted:

Or it's just one FYADer with 3 accounts trying to make it seem like a bad thread. Plus this break should not be as long as the one for AOE 5. No status bar yet.

I prefer music talks and how much I want the source material to Witching Hour so I can edit it. (I know you're here, I know you're reading this, I know you can give me those materials...)

He's still working on the status bar. Probably gonna put up a status bar bar any day now.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Crain posted:

He's still working on the status bar. Probably gonna put up a status bar bar any day now.

He should put up a status bar status bar so we know how close to the status bar we are

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

And then at the end of that status bar, innumerable more will spawn like the end of Demon Mobster Kingpin.

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

They're not the same song, I was just giving an example on what that piano sounds like when you don't bother cleaning it up compared to when you do (and even then it could still use some work)

Welp, color me foolish then. But I can tell the difference now that I really know what I'm looking for, yes.

DaveKap posted:

Given what I've seen of more normal songs, I can't even imagine how complicated the project file for Witching Hour must look. (Did I mention again how it was still probably the best of the fan album stuff?)

Anyway, speaking of that, I'm curious if there has been a collection of sheet music for HS music gathered anywhere. It'd be pretty helpful for aspiring musicians looking to experiment a little with remixes.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

~*fabulous*~
I think there was one on the MSPA forums, actually. Not sure if it's recent at all but it was in the fan collaborations part I believe

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Here's the thread, for anyone interested. Some tracks are better done than others, but it's always fun to play showtime.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Midnight Raider posted:

Given what I've seen of more normal songs, I can't even imagine how complicated the project file for Witching Hour must look. (Did I mention again how it was still probably the best of the fan album stuff?)
Actually, that's why I want it so bad. I feel like I'd learn a whole lot just from getting lost in the source material for that song. There's a lot of effects used that I've wanted to create (my inability to create the sounds I imagine is the primary reason I don't make music anymore) so my curiosity is piqued.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Anyone know where the music in this comes from?

The cover used in the video, not the original, I mean.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

Anyone know where the music in this comes from?

The cover used in the video, not the original, I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32FB-gYr49Y This video is where it comes from initially.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

New PS book soon.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
Awesome. Sounds like another topatoco order is in store once book 3 comes out.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Aw man, I'd buy all those books in a heartbeat but Topatoco's shipping charges are just insane :(

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Random thought of the day: We've seen so many different art styles and levels of drawing skill in the story, from uu and Karkat to Calliope. But I realized...we've never seen Dave draw anything that wasn't in one of his ironic styles. Given that he was the start of the whole art in the comic thing, this seems important. Heck, even his B2 successful alter-ego only did ironic movies and merchandise. It parallels his coolkid persona to hide his insecurities.

...if Homestuck does indeed have a small epilogue when it ends, I kinda want Dave's to be making a sincere oil painting or something. And it's great.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Well obviously, it takes more than a simple absence of skill to produce something as comprehensively and overwhelmingly lovely as Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff. That has some serious work put into it.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Bobulus posted:

Random thought of the day: We've seen so many different art styles and levels of drawing skill in the story, from uu and Karkat to Calliope. But I realized...we've never seen Dave draw anything that wasn't in one of his ironic styles. Given that he was the start of the whole art in the comic thing, this seems important. Heck, even his B2 successful alter-ego only did ironic movies and merchandise. It parallels his coolkid persona to hide his insecurities.

...if Homestuck does indeed have a small epilogue when it ends, I kinda want Dave's to be making a sincere oil painting or something. And it's great.

It should be the horse and the football player, having finally reconciled their differences. Together, they ride off into the glorious sunset.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
I was bored, so I decided to go through andrew's old formspring archive. It's an interesting read, and I would love him to revist some of these questions.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

tinaun posted:

I was bored, so I decided to go through andrew's old formspring archive. It's an interesting read, and I would love him to revist some of these questions.

quote:

Once there is a reasonable number of strips, is there any chance of a Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff book with commentary by Dave Strider?

yeah
Holy poo poo this would be the best way to do a SBaHJ book.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bobulus posted:

His music seems pretty sincere.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS

tinaun posted:

Hahaha, the question in which someone asks if Bro is gay is amusing because Hussie is totally dismissive of it at the time.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Saradiart posted:

Hahaha, the question in which someone asks if Bro is gay is amusing because Hussie is totally dismissive of it at the time.

Yeah, he's hinted that Dirk is gay in the first place because of all those theories at the time. He's mentioned that while the suggestion box is closed, theories sometimes influence the plot. A good example of this is Tavros being crippled. When there was that panel of him reminiscing of flying around on Prospit back in Act 4, some people theorized that he was crippled, and that's why he liked to fly. Andrew ran with the crippled part, though it was also mentioned in early Act 5 that he just liked to fly because flying was awesome.

Clean Your Teeth
Jul 10, 2009

how about some theory-chat while we wait- has anyone predicted that Lord English's power is to make these time-looped "jujus", and that's how he's been able to ensure his creation/immortality? (at this point i figure its either him or Skaia.. maybe skaia going black in Calliopea session is him usurping its power?) or that the jujus falling into the sea where there happens to be an outer god hanging out will be important?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Now that we know the meteorite uu and UU are on is the troll one, I'm assuming the two jujus will be something we've seen the trolls or kids using before. Lil' Cal could easily be one of them, for example. Or maybe Rose's cue ball.

Given Lord English's method of hatching from Doc Scratch, and Hussie's enimagic references to horses, I guess I wouldn't be surprised if one of them was one of Tavros's fidusspawn "eggs".

The tricky bit is that UU implied that you had to have both jujus and use them together. So another possibility is that they're a cue ball and a cue stick. One is entirely passive (like UU) and one is entirely active (like uu) and they are most useful together. And both are associated with LE.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
I don't know if this was posted before, but from Jack: Ascend:

I don't know how much Hussie plans anymore.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Especially notable in that GCAT translated directly from MEOW, it's not just four random letters from a genetic code.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Something's going to go down between Dave and Auto-Responder. It's been building up for quite a while. Most recently, we've got the robot quoting robots who talk to someone named Dave. The use of red text suggests a connection, as well. In a certain sense, each of them is Dirk's son. Plus Dave's got his own personal history with dumb pointy anime shades.

Because the hiatus is making me a bit crazy, I'm going to predict that Sawtooth is going to become inappropriately hostile, and Dave will have to defeat it, and will probably end up rhyming "handing out asses" with "glasses" in the process. It will be a callback to And It Don't Stop, similar to the callbacks to Humanimals, Jailbreak, and others, and we will all acknowledge it as awesome.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

So during the hiatus, I noticed that at Jake's island, the Derse proxy is engulfed in lava.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
One thing I'm noticing as I reread is that alot of the time Andrew almost never uses black outlines when drawing characters or things in 'non-sprite mode'. I'm not entirely sure why but I really like that.

The flash should be done any day, it seems. As usual, somehow I'll find myself out of town when a major animation drops.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The longer I think about Lord English the less I think I understand why he's the villain. So far not many characters know of him personally, and no one's made the connection to uu yet. His goals are only indirectly opposed to the players, in that he destroys universes and they need a universe to live in, but this conflict hasn't really been articulated in the comic. He kills, destroys, and manipulates on the scale of universes, sure, but so does Sburb, which is not seen as a villain despite it being responsible for destroying all the characters' homeworlds.

Is Lord English just the bad guy because he's a personified entity? Does Sburb get a pass for doing the same thing because it creates universes, rather than destroys them? If Sburb was somehow a person, would it be a villain too? What if you can't defeat Lord English because he's part of the natural order, destroying old universes once they've managed to reproduce, and our perception of him as "evil" is just because we see him as a bad person rather than a necessary force?

What if it was Lord English which was the natural force, the natural proclivity for universes to eventually be destroyed, while Sburb was the anthropomorphic entity who used coerced agents and mass suffering in order to make new universes? Would Sburb be the villain?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Well, Doc Scratch called Lord English "evil," and I think if anybody would know, it'd be the omniscient guy.

It's true that all we know of the character comes from either an unreliable source (his own right-hand man) or a brief interlude of uncertain seriousness where he killed the author's self-insert. Even so, more than just a force of nature, we've been shown a picture of an intelligent entity who is deliberately and needlessly cruel, engineering oppression and abusing little girls and whatnot. That alone puts him on lower moral standing than, to pick a name out of a hat, Galactus, who's pretty antagonistic himself.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Sure, there's no doubt that Lord English is evil, but a lot of forces of nature would be evil if you gave them a personage. Sburb might appear evil to us if it was a person because it blows up the players' homeworlds and forces a war on the people of Prospit and Derse, even if it appeared as a kindly old man which never got its hands dirty rather than a muscular, murderous gangster.

Him simply being a bad person isn't enough for him to be the big villain though, it's also sort of unclear why or how he opposes the players. What if our heroes escape into a new universe a few hundred years before Sburb is meant to destroy the local intelligent life and Lord English is meant to destroy the rest of the universe - does that matter to the players if they'd be dead before it happens? Do they need to defeat Lord English because he's in their way somehow, or as revenge/justice for what he's done?

I think maybe part of the problem is that the players themselves don't really have a clear endgame goal at this point (most of them still probably think Bec Noir is the only real problem) so it's not yet clear how Lord English will conflict with them over it.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Well, we don't know why LE will be the final villain (or even if), because he hasn't met the Kids in his current form at all. But Hussie is nothing if not a character writer, and I'm sure he'll be expanded on in time.

But yes, as it stands LE is a very nebulous if still threatening character. We know barely anything about him, so he might have some grand brutal master scheme that will be revealed to us in time. He might need to kill the players directly, perhaps end the cycle of universe creation entirely, there's no way of telling. But I'm certain that it'll be appropriately sinister when we find out.

Have faith... :happymaskman:

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 27, 2012

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The protagonists currently have no particular opposition to Lord English. Some of them know he exists and is a potential threat, but their enemies are Jack and the Condesce. That's why Jake can go around being named English and wearing a big green skull and nobody bats an eye. A lot of connections with Lord English go completely unnoticed by anyone without a trans-universal perspective, such as the Alternian personification of Death.

He's about a zillion times more terrifying to us than to anyone in the story, precisely because he's been personified to us rather than simply being an abstract, if intelligent, force of nature.

I'm looking forward to learning what his deal is.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
If Calliope is playing Sburb, then does that mean she's also a product of ectobiology? Would she be a paradox clone of herself, or of someone else?

Fantasy Tripe
Nov 4, 2009

So the flash is up and it seems to indicate that Lord English is doing bad things.:ohdear:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Oh god this loving update. Just this loving update.

Well we now know what was killing horror terrors, and dream bubbles. Also alternate timeline dream bubble people.

God uu biting off his leg like that was brutal.

Also the kernelsprite turned into a blackhole. What in the world is going on?

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jul 28, 2012

JamJars
Aug 2, 2004

you cannot beat me
Good lord. :stare:

Is he proto-typing the loving SUN!?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Caliborn. Huh.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

tumblr posted:

remember how kernelsprites are attracted to dead/dying things. yeah. yeah.

So the kernelsprite is eating a dying universe??

Also my friends rewatched the flash and both couldn't work out what the wand did. Interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

VJeff posted:

Caliborn. Huh.

Yep, Cal-I-born. He just throws it out so casually too.