Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Jewel posted:

So the kernelsprite is eating a dying universe??

Also my friends rewatched the flash and both couldn't work out what the wand did. Interesting.

So with the sun at the end of its lifespan, about to explode any day now... that makes a lot of sense actually. And he just sits there with the :smug:est look on his face because Cool Guys Don't Look At Explosions.

I don't know what the wand did, either. I was a little distracted by Lord English disintegrating hundreds of loving alt timeline dead characters. Guess that whole "mass dreambubble breakout" might not be an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

Holy. poo poo.

I love how the flash title/command has several meanings again, and casually resolves an old question for good.

And then it goes and raises more questions! So where does uu's Sburb gizmos come from without a second player, future uu? Or someone else entirely?

The black hole/type 1a supernova imagery that was nicely foreshadowed, but the story will have to answer how he did that.

I think the flashing red/green colours of the kernelsprite imply both Caliborn and Calliope just entered the game, as far as Skaia is concerned.

And finally that name. What does uu has to do with Arthurian legends? The only time they appeared in the story was with Dave's sword.

Dolash posted:

The longer I think about Lord English the less I think I understand why he's the villain. So far not many characters know of him personally, and no one's made the connection to uu yet. His goals are only indirectly opposed to the players, in that he destroys universes and they need a universe to live in, but this conflict hasn't really been articulated in the comic. He kills, destroys, and manipulates on the scale of universes, sure, but so does Sburb, which is not seen as a villain despite it being responsible for destroying all the characters' homeworlds.

Dave just got introduced to the main plot and its villain, so the next asteroid update should see change with that situation.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
That's not a very scary name. :colbert:

But, yikes, still. This is a pretty good reason for the remaining cast to give a poo poo about him, though it's still unclear why he's doing most of what he's doing. (Maybe he just wants to play a game, I guess.)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

escape mechanism posted:

Dave just got introduced to the main plot and its villain, so the next asteroid update should see change with that situation.

That is an interesting little tidbit there. In that entire dreambubble holocaust Dave is the only one that could possibly be alive.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

escape mechanism posted:

Holy. poo poo.

I love how the flash title/command has several meanings again, and casually resolves an old question for good.

And then it goes and raises more questions! So where does uu's Sburb gizmos come from without a second player, future uu? Or someone else entirely?

The black hole/type 1a supernova imagery that was nicely foreshadowed, but the story will have to answer how he did that.

I think the flashing red/green colours of the kernelsprite imply both Caliborn and Calliope just entered the game, as far as Skaia is concerned.

And finally that name. What does uu has to do with Arthurian legends? The only time they appeared in the story was with Dave's sword.

The Arthurian sword is Caliburn, the one that was in the stone.

SO future UU [spoiler]destroyed the poo poo out of some dream bubbles after landing on...a time player quest bed. Not a troll one, since that'd be a quest cocoon. Long ago, after John's god tier resurrection and it's myriad of colours I'd wondered if Lord English was a player who'd attained/messed with god tiering.

Also now we see the significance of Calliope's dreams. Though, she painted it in green and white for some reason.

I really enjoyed the music in this update too. It's based off of English, the theme that played when we saw Scratch turn into English. It's on the felt album.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Probably because her colors are green and white to his red and black.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

What the shitfuck way of entering was that what the hell kernelsprite :psyduck:

Also it's rather humourous that this came immediately after Dolash pointed out the kids had little reason to consider LE a villain.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Just to make some obvious points - the thing Dirk helped him build is pretty clearly that robot leg. Also, I guess flying dream bubble shards are what's killing the horrorterrors - Jack and PM's chase seems to have pretty clearly been no threat to them, since their swords are clean as they just sort of hover there sheepishly, presumably somewhat distracted by what just happened.

Maybe part of the reason Cal's kernelsprite went weird is because of their odd situation? As in, there are (or were) technically two players, but only one set of phernalia (black, at that), and one kernelsprite. Maybe it's glitched, maybe it won't stop when it's done with that red sun.

Hamiltonian Bicycle fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jul 28, 2012

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Hang on, if the kernelsprite prototyped the planet and the sun, did uu get prototyped too? And from the presence of Alpha Dave's lovely monuments, and the fact that in billions of years our sun WOULD suddenly grow in size in it's death throes, that's probably Mars. It's red, uu is a little green man, that planet is REALLY close to the sun which Mars would be after the sun goes red giant and consumes the earth, and Dave launched his lovely artifacts into space which would explain what they're doing there.

Now, the meteor? Who the gently caress knows how THAT'S there.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

My favorite thing.

Doesn't work too well in avatar form but here it is if you want it.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Slime posted:

Now, the meteor? Who the gently caress knows how THAT'S there.

Sent back from the B2 session by means of currently undisclosed shenanigans, like the B2 frog temple, perhaps.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I don't think that's prototyping it. I think it's just consuming it.

JamJars
Aug 2, 2004

you cannot beat me

Slime posted:

Hang on, if the kernelsprite prototyped the planet and the sun, did uu get prototyped too?

I think Caliborn entered his session before it could suck him up.

Edit: Watching it again it looks like it got sucked up but still did that "flashing thing" all the places do when they enter.

JamJars fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jul 28, 2012

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

Slime posted:

The Arthurian sword is Caliburn, the one that was in the stone.

I know that, but a one letter difference isn't much, especially between u and o. Chrétien de Troyes spelled it Escalibor for example.

Norton Ghostride
Apr 30, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Maybe the reason they had to create the Green Sun was so that Caliope can prototype it and have equal power to Lord English being prototyped with a red sun.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Dave's looking pretty tall there. Also, does this mean these dead dream folk are dead for good?

Also, also, I am loving these musical callbacks.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

So, if uu's created a black hole, does that mean UU might end up creating a white hole?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

JamJars posted:

I think Caliborn entered his session before it could suck him up.

Doesn't look like it to me. The meteor got sucked into the kernerlsprite, and it's not like he was doing anything with his totem to get an entry item. I don't think he even HAD a totem. The display that usually shows time until horrible meteor induced death just showed his symbol...or not. It was a tilde followed by a red U. ~ath is til death. ~U is...tildeu?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Ok, several observations made on rewatching (of varying obviousness):

1. LE's sarcophagus begins its journey over the EoA curtain sea, and that along with the wand indicates this is precisely after the sequence where he kills Hussie on his personal timeline.
2. The glowing red Terminator eyes could be his cheeks?
3. His tooth (and leg) might or might not become important.
4. Robo-Aradias apparently have skeletons.

5. Most importantly, this seems to be happening very soon after the meteor crew left the dream bubble. It's still visible, not lost in the curves of Paradox space, and Dave's looking at it. Where does this leave us with regards to Aranea and Meenah? :ohdear:

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
I don't think this was the same bubble... more likely it's some other bubble they're passing right before the upcoming year 2 intermission. It's a bunch of entirely different people in there, too.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Pages look so dorky.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Holy gently caress that music is good.

Holy gently caress that flash. :psyduck:

I guess we know why the horrorterrors are calling for help now. But didn't they have a hand in the creation of the green sun?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Caliborn gives NO fucks.

Leg chained to unbreakable shackle? gently caress THAT, OM NOM NOM
Broke a tooth while doing it? PSH, AINT NOTHING BUT A THANG

Also what does the wand 'do'? I thought it was all LE.

Also also where does the Felt Mansion come out from!?

e: also also also Jack and PM just staring at eachother thinking "The gently caress?" :neckbeard:

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jul 28, 2012

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Hahahaha John dies again.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Interesting. I was expecting uu to save the leg cutting until after they entered. Will have to watch that a few times more.

...someone get some screenshots of all the alternate god tier costumes, please.

Wrist Watch posted:

So with the sun at the end of its lifespan, about to explode any day now... that makes a lot of sense actually.

Oh, of course. :headsmack: Kernels are attracted to the dead and dying. A dying sun is perfect.

But I can't decide if that was a prototyping or an entry method or both.

Wrist Watch posted:

Guess that whole "mass dreambubble breakout" might not be an option.

Yeah, this is a stakes-upping for sure. No more "Well, at least even if they fail, they can live on happily in the afterlife or something". LE has to be stopped, or he'll eventually pop every dream bubble. And it even looked like it fractured space, like, really broke it.

YF-23 posted:

Most importantly, this seems to be happening very soon after the meteor crew left the dream bubble. It's still visible, not lost in the curves of Paradox space, and Dave's looking at it. Where does this leave us with regards to Aranea and Meenah? :ohdear:

Yeah, different dreambubbles, I think. This was the DB that Roxy visited in her sleep and briefly saw Rose. Dave remembered this dreambubble and talked about right before he and Karkat started fighting over the book / shipping schedule. Then, right after that, they entered a second dream bubble where they met Aranea and Meenah. So those two should be fine, but it's up in the air if any of the alpha dead trolls were in that former bubble. (probably not?)

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Zeruel posted:

Also also where does the Felt Mansion come out from!?

It's a dream bubble, the landscape is mutable like that in dream bubbles. Once LE entered it, he dreamed it up.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
I have a really half-assed theory.

Someone traps Lord English, in some form, into the empty Lil Cal. Lil Cal then makes his way back in time, to the tower on the meoter when the trolls/some kids are on it at some point, it could have been before the first scratch when there wasn't any Roxy, Dirk, Jane, or Jake, as far as readers knew. Someone (Gamzee?) released the juju essence into some goop or all the dead bits Gamzee keeps around and it made a baby UU/uu. Someone, at some point, realized there were two people in the body, and cared about the kid too much to kill it, so they created the tower setup as it was when we met Calliope and saw Caliborn gnaw off his leg. Cal I Born. So there's a loop of English getting trapped, Lil Cal going back in time, UU/uu's body being made, the tower set up happening, Caliborn escaping, everything else that will happen before he's trapped, and him being trapped again.
I mean, being trapped in a puppet sounds like being 'temporarily defeated, but not destroyed' to me. Would also explain why Dave was so freaked out by Lil Cal (in a cool kid way of course)

Also, wouldn't Calliope wake up if Lord English was knocked or drugged unconscious? And wouldn't he shrink down if someone took the king's staff from him? Isn't that what his staff is?

If there are any holes in my theory, please tell me. I've read all of HS, a lot of it multiple times, but there are things I miss/don't know.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

escape mechanism posted:

I know that, but a one letter difference isn't much, especially between u and o. Chrétien de Troyes spelled it Escalibor for example.

Yeah, that sword has so many variants on its spelling. From Caledbwlch to Caledfwlch to Caliburnus to Escalibor to Excalibur. The one constant is "cal", which it shares with Caladbolg.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Uuuuugh, guess who's only flash-enabled computer needs a new monitor? I hope someone uploads this on YouTube.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Page's godtier outfit is fuckin' weird. Not sure I'm picturing it correctly. It just makes me think of Batman and his leotard / utility belt.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Oh hey, the credits page has been updated. The song is "Eternity's Shylock" by Malcolm Brown; it has a bunch of little quotes but is mostly a take on "English" from the Felt album, which is of course the track used for the original English reveal.

Odd title, though uu has demanded his POuND OF SMuT from Dirk before, I guess.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I wonder if it means something that Dave was standing in roughly the same spot on the asteroid that uu was chilling in the same flash.

edit: Maybe it's because of the hour, but I'm starting to see crazy connections between Dave, owner of the stiller shades, which appeared in Problem Sleuth as having witnessed the whole of creation, and shattered glass, both in the 'pop the dreambubble' sense, which only he witnessed, and the 'break the 4th wall' sense, where Dave did not appear. ...what the gently caress does this mean?

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jul 28, 2012

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Cabbit posted:

I don't think that's prototyping it. I think it's just consuming it.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
Gigyas was the first thing I thought of when I saw the accretion disk from the black hole and the red sun.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
After Dave looked upon the Outer Ring with his glasses off and talked to Rose about it, I have a feeling when he admitted hearing the cries for help it was from the dying dreaming dead.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I was so hopeful when we saw the light reflected in Equius' glasses.

Poor beta John.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Bell_ posted:

After Dave looked upon the Outer Ring with his glasses off and talked to Rose about it, I have a feeling when he admitted hearing the cries for help it was from the dying dreaming dead.

Well, there was purple blood there, so it looks like maybe some horrorterrors got hit with dream bubble shrapnel?

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y
This deudly serious flash starts off with trickster mode Roxy's lollipop

And then things just go nuts. Did English just break space-time where the dream bubble used to be?

Graceful Graveler
May 18, 2009
On one hand, dozens of dead dreamers have just been erased from existence, several horrorterrors died, and there is now at least one crack in the fabric of space-time itself. On the other hand, holy gently caress Lord English is hardcore. :dance:

(On the other other hand, this shot just looks plain funny out of context.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y
On the topic of red-green spiral symbolism: since Caliborn's cheeks become red circles (red spiral, red counter-spiral), does this mean that Calliope is gone for good? :(