Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

testifeye
Sep 24, 2004

maroon moon
Country/Provider: USA/New Mexico probably need to go to Verizon Wireless

Current contract status: pay as you go on Virgin Mobile that will have no coverage when I move to NM

Budget (phone/plan): currently pay $45 for unlimited text/data and 1000 minutes per month. I've been totally spoiled :( I can pay as much as is necessary but would rather save money if possible

Features I know I want: I do have access to 20% off monthly bills for Verizon Wireless because of my employer. I like shiny toys, but have a pit in my stomach about the cost of what my plan will be, and annoyed that I'll have to sign up for a 2 year contract. Open to Iphone or Android, though I have an Android now it's a rooted LG Optimus V that never ran that great. I guess I'm looking for low maintenance, reliable phone reception. Since I've never been spoiled by a good smart phone, I probably won't know what I'm missing if it's mediocre. Mostly I'm sad that I will probably have sticker shock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRevolution1
Sep 21, 2011

UnquietDream posted:

Country/Provider: UK/Orange

Current contract status: Pay as you go, Orange.

Budget (phone/plan): Probably going to go with a SIM only contract with T-mobile, it looks like I can get a good deal for 13 a month (750mb internet and enough phone/text minutes that I won't be able to fully consume) considering I spend 10 quid a month already.

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

My main query is basically how much it will cost, I see some on Amazon for £274 but I'm not sure how reliable 'Foneshop' is. One the comments also mentions that it might be an LCD screen rather than AMOLED. As much as I would love to get a cheap price I'd much rather make sure that before I put down that amount of money that I'm actually going to get what I want. So basically can anyone vouch for a reliable retailer that hopefully has the best price available?

That's the Nexus S in your link, not the galaxy nexus.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

TheRevolution1 posted:

That's the Nexus S in your link, not the galaxy nexus.

Ah, that makes perfect sense as to why it's so much cheaper than the other ones. Thank you very much for pointing that out.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

testifeye posted:

Country/Provider: USA/New Mexico probably need to go to Verizon Wireless

Current contract status: pay as you go on Virgin Mobile that will have no coverage when I move to NM

Budget (phone/plan): currently pay $45 for unlimited text/data and 1000 minutes per month. I've been totally spoiled :( I can pay as much as is necessary but would rather save money if possible

Features I know I want: I do have access to 20% off monthly bills for Verizon Wireless because of my employer. I like shiny toys, but have a pit in my stomach about the cost of what my plan will be, and annoyed that I'll have to sign up for a 2 year contract. Open to Iphone or Android, though I have an Android now it's a rooted LG Optimus V that never ran that great. I guess I'm looking for low maintenance, reliable phone reception. Since I've never been spoiled by a good smart phone, I probably won't know what I'm missing if it's mediocre. Mostly I'm sad that I will probably have sticker shock.

Yeah, I think you are stuck getting the new share plan (someone correct me if I am wrong), which is $90-100 depending on how many GBs you need (before discount ).

Phone wise get the Galaxy Nexus or iPhone 4S.

testifeye
Sep 24, 2004

maroon moon

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, I think you are stuck getting the new share plan (someone correct me if I am wrong), which is $90-100 depending on how many GBs you need (before discount ).

Phone wise get the Galaxy Nexus or iPhone 4S.

So, I'm totally ignorant about how this works (since before I had unlimited data I had no data plan at all). How do I figure out how much data I need? I occasionally use my phone as a tether, but otherwise I probably just surf the web and have a few simple apps. Then again, I've never had a phone that can do very much, so maybe I just can't anticipate what I'll need.

I also feel stuck about the iphone/android debate. I know it's a hot topic and such, I wish the decision was straightforward.

Eh, I know it's not preventable, but I am disappointed with having to pony up big bucks :(

testifeye fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 21, 2012

testifeye
Sep 24, 2004

maroon moon
ugh quote is not edit

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

testifeye posted:

So, I'm totally ignorant about how this works (since before I had unlimited data I had no data plan at all). How do I figure out how much data I need? I occasionally use my phone as a tether, but otherwise I probably just surf the web and have a few simple apps. Then again, I've never had a phone that can do very much, so maybe I just can't anticipate what I'll need.

I also feel stuck about the iphone/android debate. I know it's a hot topic and such, I wish the decision was straightforward.

Eh, I know it's not preventable, but I am disappointed with having to pony up big bucks :(

Its a tough call, and honestly it comes down to how often you are on WiFi. I have WiFi available at my house and work, so the only reason I rack up large usage is i stream music on the go, which I wouldn't do if I had a data cap. Video streaming will also kill it.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
Country/Provider: USA Verizon

Current contract status: upgrade available on 2 out of 3 lines on our family plan

Budget (phone/plan): Up to $300 for the phone I guess. I can go up or down if something is a great bargain. I'll probably be fine going from the unlimited data to the 2 gig cap. My current Blackberry is utter poo poo so I expect to use more data with a new phone but I can always change the plan if needed.

Features I know I want: Games. Music maybe. I want Android. I build my own computers, play with the software, etc, and have been so limited with my Blackberry. Even putting Opera on it made web-browsing only bearable.

Backstory:
I dropped my lovely Blackberry Bold 9650 into a river. Walked into Verizon, now I'm torn between the Samsung Galaxy 3 32 gig, or the Droid Razr Maxx. If there are other options I'm overlooking, please let me know.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

particle409 posted:

Current contract status: upgrade available on 2 out of 3 lines on our family plan

Budget (phone/plan): Up to $300 for the phone I guess. I can go up or down if something is a great bargain. I'll probably be fine going from the unlimited data to the 2 gig cap. My current Blackberry is utter poo poo so I expect to use more data with a new phone but I can always change the plan if needed.

Features I know I want: Games. Music maybe. I want Android. I build my own computers, play with the software, etc, and have been so limited with my Blackberry. Even putting Opera on it made web-browsing only bearable.

Backstory:
I dropped my lovely Blackberry Bold 9650 into a river. Walked into Verizon, now I'm torn between the Samsung Galaxy 3 32 gig, or the Droid Razr Maxx. If there are other options I'm overlooking, please let me know.

Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

testifeye posted:

Most people use about 1 GB of data a month, maybe 2. Streaming and tethering is what uses large amounts of data. I use about 1.5 GB-2.5 GB/month but that's because of Spotify. It'll be $80/month for 1 GB with your discount, $90/month for 2 and $100 for 4 GB.

Android vs. iPhone comes down to how much you want to tinker with your phone. If you don't want to tinker with your phone at all, get an iPhone. If you want to have complete control over your phone, buy an Android phone. Apps and UI performance is generally better on iOS, but Android is catching up.

For Android on Verizon, the Galaxy Nexus is generally your best option. This is because of official software updates from Google. They'll be delayed with the Verizon model some, but it's not as bad as OEM delays. The only other option to consider is a Galaxy S III for LTE battery life. LTE battery life has been at best bad to this point, and the S III has second-gen LTE chipsets which alleviate this problem. Although you'll be waiting quite a while for updates if you decide to go in this direction.

particle409 posted:

Backstory:

Get a Galaxy Nexus. It's pretty much the only phone on Verizon that can be tinkered with without it being a pain. Then thank the river god for saving you from lovely smartphones.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

So, just to follow up, I did some homework and found that the Droid 4 recently got an ICS update which gave it GSM/overseas support. So I picked one up and I'm happily using it now. It's a very slim phone, the keyboard is truly stellar and overall, the phone is a pleasure to use. My one regret is that the drat thing doesn't have a removable battery, and hence, no extended battery. It's really quite frustrating that the Razr MAXXX or whatever it's called exists and yet Motorola couldn't be arsed to make similar versions of their other phones. Battery life is such a problem with this latest generation of phones.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

Godzilla07 posted:

Most people use about 1 GB of data a month, maybe 2. Streaming and tethering is what uses large amounts of data. I use about 1.5 GB-2.5 GB/month but that's because of Spotify. It'll be $80/month for 1 GB with your discount, $90/month for 2 and $100 for 4 GB.

Android vs. iPhone comes down to how much you want to tinker with your phone. If you don't want to tinker with your phone at all, get an iPhone. If you want to have complete control over your phone, buy an Android phone. Apps and UI performance is generally better on iOS, but Android is catching up.

For Android on Verizon, the Galaxy Nexus is generally your best option. This is because of official software updates from Google. They'll be delayed with the Verizon model some, but it's not as bad as OEM delays. The only other option to consider is a Galaxy S III for LTE battery life. LTE battery life has been at best bad to this point, and the S III has second-gen LTE chipsets which alleviate this problem. Although you'll be waiting quite a while for updates if you decide to go in this direction.

Get a Galaxy Nexus. It's pretty much the only phone on Verizon that can be tinkered with without it being a pain. Then thank the river god for saving you from lovely smartphones.

So I'll have to wait for Jelly Bean on the Samsung Galaxy 3, but Ice Cream Sandwich is still pretty good, right? I'd rather get the better specs and just wait for JB to come to the Samsung sg3.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

particle409 posted:

So I'll have to wait for Jelly Bean on the Samsung Galaxy 3, but Ice Cream Sandwich is still pretty good, right? I'd rather get the better specs and just wait for JB to come to the Samsung sg3.

Eh, it's your call, i use the Sprimt Nexus and S3, and both are still on ICS and the nexus runs smoother overall. Battery life is better on the S3. You won't get a clear answer on this one, but I personally think software is more important then hardware.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

[*]Country/Provider: Sprint / USA

[*]Current contract status: Out of contract

[*]Budget (phone/plan): I'm currently paying $30/month for my current SERO(ish) 500 plan, I'd like to keep my monthly costs low as possible

[*]Features I know I want: Android phone that doesn't suck

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Looking into it more, the HTC One S sounds like it might be a decent fit features wise for what I want and is available on a contract for a little less than my current one. Is it a decent phone to go for in terms of software support/ROMs? I could probably live with getting a nicely running custom ROM or hacked version of JB on my Nexus One (when/if one is released) and a super cheap plan. And really I'd rather do that than spend the money on a phone that will be pretty much upgradeless a year into a two year contract.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Harmburger posted:

[*]Country/Provider: Sprint / USA

[*]Current contract status: Out of contract

[*]Budget (phone/plan): I'm currently paying $30/month for my current SERO(ish) 500 plan, I'd like to keep my monthly costs low as possible

[*]Features I know I want: Android phone that doesn't suck

SERO is still really cheap, but getting a good smartphone will take you up to $50 a month. On Sprint you can get the galaxy Nexus pretty cheap ($99 online, and you must go thru online basically). The S3 is worth looking into, it does have great battery life, but I use both phones am think they overall the galaxy nexus is better.

Straight Talk has a $45 a month plan with 1GB of data, unlimited Voice and text. Tmobile has a plan for $30 a month, 5GB of data, unlimited text, but only 100 minutes. Either of these options the Galaxy Nexus is $350 unlocked no contract straight from google.

Personally, since you have a really good sprint plan that is the best bang for your buck, if you want my opinion.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I send you this file in order to have your advice!
Country/Provider: USA/Verizon

Current contract status: my original contract is expired, but our family plan has <1yr left

Budget (phone/plan): N/A

Features I know I want: voice/data/text/email

Here's my situation: I am on a family plan with my girlfriend (700 minutes plus $30/mo unlimited data per line). We are breaking up and I am looking into splitting up the lines. I stopped into the Verizon store and they said we can separate them no problem with no fees as long as she stays with Verizon.

I have the original Droid and it's still working ok, though I'd like to replace it with something newer/more powerful and switch over to a different plan. The problem is that Verizon is pushing the poo poo out of these "share everything" plans which do not seem to be for me. I use on average 100 minutes of voice, maybe 100 texts a month and less than 50mb of data (mostly use wireless at home). I can't find any plans outside of the prepaid plans that meet my needs. I also don't know which phone to get, or should I wait for some sweet new android phone that's about to be released?

So my questions are: Are there any existing individual plans that meet my needs and what is my best bet when it comes to a new phone?

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Well, after keeping an eye on this thread for about a month I finally decided to pull the trigger on a Nexus from Google. Well I be able to use the SIM card (T-Mobile) that I already have, or does this need a micro SIM card or something else? Also, how long does it usually take Google to ship?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

unl33t posted:

Well, after keeping an eye on this thread for about a month I finally decided to pull the trigger on a Nexus from Google. Well I be able to use the SIM card (T-Mobile) that I already have, or does this need a micro SIM card or something else? Also, how long does it usually take Google to ship?
It's a normal SIM. Just pop it in and you're good to go.

Hyper-Urho-Kekkonen
Mar 21, 2009
Country: US, but I intend to travel a lot in the next year or so

Current Provider: I have an AT&T dumbphone on my parents' plan, but I'm going to be moving off of that shortly (I have a job now I can pay my own cell phone bill yay)

Budget: n/a

Features I want: I care about as much control of my phone as I can get and I intend to root whatever phone I end up buying the first chance I get. I also care about actually using the internet on my phone, but I don't have a great idea of how much data I'd actually use over 3/4G. I'd prefer an unlimited data plan so I don't have to worry about it, but maybe there's a capped plan out there that I could be sure I'd always go under with, I don't know.

As far as hardware is concerned I've been reading reviews and I've been persuaded towards a 32G galaxy s3 (I like the Nexus but the lack of a microSD expansion slot is troublesome), so I just care about which carrier is the best. If it's possible to buy a phone with a contract from a carrier so I can get the discount and then unlock the boot loader and install a clean OS from source, I'm willing to do that.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hyper-Urho-Kekkonen posted:

Country: US, but I intend to travel a lot in the next year or so
Domestic travel or international?

As far as hardware is concerned I've been reading reviews and I've been persuaded towards a 32G galaxy s3 (I like the Nexus but the lack of a microSD expansion slot is troublesome),
Folks here insist you're better off with a Galaxy Nexus and that removable storage is something you should learn to live without. If that's actually feasible, then the GSM/UMTS Galaxy Nexus is definitely a device to consider as it's the best all around in terms of both manufacturer support (literally gets Android updates first) and community support. It's $350 on Google Play unsubsidized, and can be used on AT&T and T-Mo (or a GSM MVNO, whatever). But it only has 16 GB onboard storage and no expansion options.

Otherwise the SGS3 is actually a pretty good option. Community support for it is pretty decent, and you're not going to be shacked by the stock ROM much if you're planning to root it from day one anyways. The main downside is that it simply won't get 100% flawless-working Android updates as quickly as the Galaxy Nexus, so it depends how much you prioritize "timely updates" vs "better hardware and removable storage". For what it's worth, I hedged on the latter and I'm fine with it.

As for carriers:

Verizon has the best coverage but worst value plans for an individual. Also their model SGS3 is the only one that ships with a semi-locked bootloader. At present, the lock is flawed, so it's possible to do custom poo poo with the VZW SGS3 as other devices, but it requires some non-completely-transparent workarounds. It's also quite likely that a future update will derail the gravy train here, and while you don't have to take the update, it might compromise the popularity of the device if folks can't work around it. Samsung is also soon selling a "VZW developer edition" with an unlocked bootloader, but I think it's 16 GB only. You're just best avoiding this.

Sprint is the only nationwide carrier to continue to offer unlimited data, if that's your priority. The caveat is that their data network is the worst of the four carriers in most markets right now--bad enough such that you can't really make use of data sufficiently to blow through GBs a month anyways. Now, they're amidst a network overhaul that will make their network one of the best, and it's definitely a legitimate upgrade. The problem is that it won't be done until the end of 2013 for all locales and that's assuming they don't run out of cash.

With that in mind the Sprint SGS3 is unlockable and $250 for the 32 GB model after subsidy. If you're interested, check out the EPRP details in the Sprint thread OP. The catch is that the most popular custom ROM, CM9, is still working out flawless CDMA support (it's fully featured, but presently nags you on every boot that you need to activate the device, which you don't), and LTE support is completely broken as none of the developers presently live in the first-round rollout LTE markets to make it work.

(In general, there's a rule about CDMA devices being a much bigger PITA than GSM ones.)

T-Mobile is also worth considering, but you won't want to get a subsidized device from them. Their best postpaid plan options are "Value" plans, which do require a two-year contract but come with no device subsidy, in exchange for being dirt cheap. T-Mo doesn't have "truly unlimited data" anymore, but they offer 2, 5, and 10 GB "high speed data" plans where you're throttled to considerably slower speeds once you exceed those amounts.

If you're a low-voice minute user, T-Mo's Monthly 4G Prepaid is a current favorite. $30/mo nets 100 voice minutes, unlimited texts, and 5 GB data (pre-throttle), with additional minutes at 10¢/min. There's also StraightTalk, which is an AT&T and T-Mo "reseller" (MVNO) with unlimited voice, texts, and "data" plans at $45/mo, but they'll cut you off if you use more than 1-2 GB of data a month.

One thing to consider about the T-Mo SGS3 is that while it lacks LTE, it supports every useful combination of UMTS/HSPA+. So it supports T-Mo's "old" AWS 3G/4G band, their new 1900 band, and both AT&T's 850/1900 bands. So once you get the device unlocked (any T-Mo customer in three months good standing can do it, or you can pay for an unlock code, or likely some folks have already hacked it) you can take it to AT&T or StraightTalk or whatever.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 25, 2012

Strom Thurmond
Jul 24, 2004

by XyloJW
Country/Provider: Verizon. My wife and I each have smart-phones on my mom's plan (which has her, my sister, and my grandparents all with dumb phones). We've done the calculations and it doesn't make sense to do the share everything plan unless four of the five of us have smart-phones, but that isn't going to happen.

Current contract status: We're both due for an upgrade now.

Budget (phone/plan): Pretty unlimited here. My wife does not need anything fancy, and I think it was a mistake to get two Droid 2s last time around. I love the Droid 2, but she doesn't really use hers in any great capacity. In terms of the plan, we pay my mom the $60 a month the data plan costs, which is fine. We all share unlimited texting and 700 minutes. I don't care about the tiers, 2gigs is fine for us.

Features I know I want: I know the only phones with keyboards are the Droid 4 and some other budget model, both of which got pretty luke-warm reviews. I'm not opposed to doing without the physical keyboard, I'm just wary because of past (way past) experiences. I'm sure the technology has come a long way.

Really what I need is advice for myself (my droid is rooted with CM7, can tether, etc) and then a different model for my wife (who needs it for texting, email, basic stuff). I was just going to get a droid 4 and the basic model for her but I haven't done more than very cursory research yet. Our Droid 2s still work ~ok~ (mine is crapping out a bit but I can use it for a few more months); is there anything on the horizon? I'm planning on waiting for a nice promotion anyway to take advantage of.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Strom Thurmond posted:

Country/Provider: Verizon. My wife and I each have smart-phones on my mom's plan (which has her, my sister, and my grandparents all with dumb phones). We've done the calculations and it doesn't make sense to do the share everything plan unless four of the five of us have smart-phones, but that isn't going to happen.

Current contract status: We're both due for an upgrade now.

Budget (phone/plan): Pretty unlimited here. My wife does not need anything fancy, and I think it was a mistake to get two Droid 2s last time around. I love the Droid 2, but she doesn't really use hers in any great capacity. In terms of the plan, we pay my mom the $60 a month the data plan costs, which is fine. We all share unlimited texting and 700 minutes. I don't care about the tiers, 2gigs is fine for us.

Features I know I want: I know the only phones with keyboards are the Droid 4 and some other budget model, both of which got pretty luke-warm reviews. I'm not opposed to doing without the physical keyboard, I'm just wary because of past (way past) experiences. I'm sure the technology has come a long way.

Really what I need is advice for myself (my droid is rooted with CM7, can tether, etc) and then a different model for my wife (who needs it for texting, email, basic stuff). I was just going to get a droid 4 and the basic model for her but I haven't done more than very cursory research yet. Our Droid 2s still work ~ok~ (mine is crapping out a bit but I can use it for a few more months); is there anything on the horizon? I'm planning on waiting for a nice promotion anyway to take advantage of.

Physical keyboard phones are all terrible now a days.

I would get a Galaxy Nexus for you, Droid Razr Maxx for her (or iPhone 4S).

Hyper-Urho-Kekkonen
Mar 21, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Domestic travel or international?

International. Which I think rules out a CDMA phone, and therefore Sprint.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Duckman2008 posted:

Can you expound upon this a little? I'm going to be buying a phone in about two weeks and a physical keyboard is a must, but I don't need too much in the way of other features. Here's my info:
  • Country/Provider: US, currently Sprint, but willing to change carriers if there's a good reason to.
  • Current contract status: No contract.
  • Budget (phone/plan): Not a big deal since I keep my phones for a long time. I have unlimited data for my current smartphone.
  • Features I know I want: physical keyboard, and maybe tethering.
  • OS: Leaning towards Android, but if there's some reason I should consider a Windows phone, I guess I'm open minded. I didn't like the iPhone when I tried it, but I love my Palm Pre.
I really just cannot stand touch screen keyboards, and I'm not much of a power user anyway, so I don't mind so much if that limits my selection. I mostly just use my phone for texting and light internet browsing, and rarely even use apps (though I like to have them there just in case). Getting a phone that is relatively new is important to me because I keep my phones a drat long time and it sucks when they're old and unsupported. Frankly, that's the only reason I'm getting rid of my Palm Pre.

Google turns up lots of results that seem just fine for me, so I could really use some advice from someone who knows more about this stuff. Is it worth switching carriers to get a better phone, or are Sprint's keyboarded offerings fine for what I need? Buying a new phone always make me feel old. :(

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

International. Which I think rules out a CDMA phone, and therefore Sprint.

I could make calls and receive texts internationally with a CDMA sprint phone and receive texts internationally, but it wasn't exactly a good value. I guess there is some plan for it though.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

seorin posted:

Can you expound upon this a little? I'm going to be buying a phone in about two weeks and a physical keyboard is a must, but I don't need too much in the way of other features. Here's my info:
  • Country/Provider: US, currently Sprint, but willing to change carriers if there's a good reason to.
  • Current contract status: No contract.
  • Budget (phone/plan): Not a big deal since I keep my phones for a long time. I have unlimited data for my current smartphone.
  • Features I know I want: physical keyboard, and maybe tethering.
  • OS: Leaning towards Android, but if there's some reason I should consider a Windows phone, I guess I'm open minded. I didn't like the iPhone when I tried it, but I love my Palm Pre.
I really just cannot stand touch screen keyboards, and I'm not much of a power user anyway, so I don't mind so much if that limits my selection. I mostly just use my phone for texting and light internet browsing, and rarely even use apps (though I like to have them there just in case). Getting a phone that is relatively new is important to me because I keep my phones a drat long time and it sucks when they're old and unsupported. Frankly, that's the only reason I'm getting rid of my Palm Pre.

Google turns up lots of results that seem just fine for me, so I could really use some advice from someone who knows more about this stuff. Is it worth switching carriers to get a better phone, or are Sprint's keyboarded offerings fine for what I need? Buying a new phone always make me feel old. :(

Keyboard phones are made, but they all basically get 2nd class attention software support wise to touchscreen only ones, since way more people buy touchscreen only. Plus I believe they always screw up the drivers due to lack of care, but someone else could expand on this more. If you want the stay on Sprint they just announced the Motorola Photon Q, but I'll tell you now I would recommend the Galaxy Nexus or Samsung Galaxy 3 over it (or iPhone).

If you are basing s touchscreen on a Palm Pre, you aren't getting a modern touchscreen feel. The Pre has a 3" touchscreen, the S3 is 4.8". Seriously, I honestly don't understand why anyone would not be able to use a modern smartphone.

Strom Thurmond
Jul 24, 2004

by XyloJW

Duckman2008 posted:

Keyboard phones are made, but they all basically get 2nd class attention software support wise to touchscreen only ones, since way more people buy touchscreen only. Plus I believe they always screw up the drivers due to lack of care, but someone else could expand on this more. If you want the stay on Sprint they just announced the Motorola Photon Q, but I'll tell you now I would recommend the Galaxy Nexus or Samsung Galaxy 3 over it (or iPhone).

If you are basing s touchscreen on a Palm Pre, you aren't getting a modern touchscreen feel. The Pre has a 3" touchscreen, the S3 is 4.8". Seriously, I honestly don't understand why anyone would not be able to use a modern smartphone.

Did you ever have a touch-screen phone back when they first came out, probably 5-6 years ago by now? They were awful. My wife's experience was especially bad, because it literally was drizzling and that hosed the screen up badly enough that she could barely use it anymore. Thanks for the recommendation though, that gives me somewhere to start. IS there anything interesting coming on the horizon? I'm not opposed to waiting 6 months to get something new and awesome.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Duckman2008 posted:

I'm actually basing it off of the (first gen) iPhone and my HP tablet, both of which I can't stand typing on. I don't mind touchscreens for anything but typing, but for typing I just need the tactile feedback.

I appreciate the response/recommendations, though, and I'll certainly give those a look. If I can find a local store that lets me play with one, I'll definitely at least consider it, but this is the one thing I'm picky about.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Country/Provider: Australia (Tasmania) / none yet - October thru February
Currently Canada / Sasktel

Current contract status: Planning a 4-month trip to Tasmania for work, currently nearing the end of my contract with Sasktel - 3 years is up in January 2013

Budget (phone/plan): Let's go with $400 for the phone / $100 per month for the plan. I'm flexible, I'd like to explore some options and get some information

Features I know I want: the ability to make and receive calls and texts in and around Hobart, Tasmania, including international (back to Canada, mostly). I've never used a smartphone but I expect to get one, eventually.

OS: If it's a smartphone, then I'd prefer to avoid Apple. I guess that means Android. If there's some huge advantage in terms of price or you-can't-have-that-if-you're-not-a-resident, I'd be willing to consider an iPhone.

I'll be spending 4 months from late October through the end of February in Hobart, Tasmania, working with some people at the University of Tasmania and the Australian Antarctic Division. I was told by my boss, who spent February and March in Australia (Sydney & Hobart) that it was not possible for a non-resident to get a phone in Australia. How difficult is it for a foreigner like me (I'm Canadian) to get a phone in Aus?

If I bought a phone in Australia, would I be able to take it back to Saskatchewan with me when I return in February? My current phone is a flip-phone that I think is about at the end of its useful life, anyways.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

seorin posted:

I'm actually basing it off of the (first gen) iPhone and my HP tablet, both of which I can't stand typing on. I don't mind touchscreens for anything but typing, but for typing I just need the tactile feedback.

I appreciate the response/recommendations, though, and I'll certainly give those a look. If I can find a local store that lets me play with one, I'll definitely at least consider it, but this is the one thing I'm picky about.

At the very least wait for the Photon Q and compare it to said other phones in store. They will let you try them.

The base point is manufacturers like to h one "flagship" phone that gets the best hardware and software support. All others are at best deviants and for the most part are meant to capture a specific desire at the expense of other features.

Flagship phones are pretty much never keyboard phones now a days.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.
If you get the iPhone there's a plethora of hardware add ons for keyboards. My gf refuses to use a phone without a keyboard and ended up going that route.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

So my boyfriend's BlackBerry broke recently, for all intents and purposes--he hasn't received texts in ages and his service and call quality has dropped substantially. He's got poo poo to do, so it's kind of a bum deal. After wrangling with Sprint customer service for a few weeks, they're offering him a free HTC EVO 4G LTE. I don't know anything about phones--this is a new phone, right? Is it any good? Or should he just shell out the extra cash for an iPhone or a Samsung Galaxy? I think if he keeps at it he'll just end up having to pay for the phone, in either case, and not for breaking his lovely contract.

TheRevolution1
Sep 21, 2011

Swillkitsch posted:

So my boyfriend's BlackBerry broke recently, for all intents and purposes--he hasn't received texts in ages and his service and call quality has dropped substantially. He's got poo poo to do, so it's kind of a bum deal. After wrangling with Sprint customer service for a few weeks, they're offering him a free HTC EVO 4G LTE. I don't know anything about phones--this is a new phone, right? Is it any good? Or should he just shell out the extra cash for an iPhone or a Samsung Galaxy? I think if he keeps at it he'll just end up having to pay for the phone, in either case, and not for breaking his lovely contract.

The EVO 4G LTE is pretty good, I'd say it's the 2nd best android phone on sprint. Maybe have him ask if they can give him the GS3 for cheap but if that's not possible then just have him take the EVO 4G LTE.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
I currently use a Nokia 6700 Slide which is fine for my needs, but it's started turning itself off randomly (which is apparently common problem with that model).

I'm not worried about advice on carrier etc - I'm in New Zealand and can use most modern phones that take a SIM. But I'm wondering if I can get a new phone that fits my needs.

Nokia still releases stuff like the 6700, e.g. the Asha 300, but I kinda of feel like buying one of those now is getting something that's instantly obsolete. At the same time I don't really like the fact that modern smartphones are kind of huge and don't have a physical keyboard.

Features I'd like are:
- Small form factor
- Maps application
- Calls and SMS, obviously
- Ideally a physical keyboard, but I can live with touch

I'm not too worried about price/apps/OS. Basically, is there such a thing as a modern phone that's also not a big slab?

Nition fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jul 28, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Nition posted:

Basically, is there such a thing as a modern phone that's also not a big slab?
An iPhone?

Honestly, I wouldn't call it "a big slab" at the current 3.5" form factor, when you compare it to the 4.8" devics on the market. It's also by far the best phone at the "small" form factor size, and you're not going to find anything half-way decent that's smaller.

Hardware keyboards are dead. They're more of a liability on phones these days than they are advantageous.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Nition posted:

Features I'd like are:
- Small form factor
- Maps application
- Calls and SMS, obviously
- Ideally a physical keyboard, but I can live with touch

Modern is a relative term. An iPhone 4s and 4 is surprisingly small. If you REALLY need a keyboard, there's a myriad of keyboards you can buy for it since iPhone is a hugely popular platform.

Here's some

Strom Thurmond
Jul 24, 2004

by XyloJW

Duckman2008 posted:

I would get a Galaxy Nexus for you, Droid Razr Maxx for her (or iPhone 4S).

I got a chance to look at these, and are you mixing them up? The phone you recommended for me is $99 bucks, and the one for her is $299.

I gotta say, looking around, I'm really not impressed - my phone (Droid 2) is more than 2 years old now and it has a 1 gig processor, a gig of RAM, and a 5mp camera - the Razr Maxx has a dual 1.2 gig processor, a gig of RAM, and...a 5mp camera. This is really all the further the phones have come in 2+ years? Are the screens and 4G really that much of an improvement that it warrants the upgrade? I'm just not all that excited about plopping down ~$400 and signing another 2 year contract for (what appear to me like) relatively minor upgrades.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Strom Thurmond posted:

I got a chance to look at these, and are you mixing them up? The phone you recommended for me is $99 bucks, and the one for her is $299.

I gotta say, looking around, I'm really not impressed - my phone (Droid 2) is more than 2 years old now and it has a 1 gig processor, a gig of RAM, and a 5mp camera - the Razr Maxx has a dual 1.2 gig processor, a gig of RAM, and...a 5mp camera. This is really all the further the phones have come in 2+ years? Are the screens and 4G really that much of an improvement that it warrants the upgrade? I'm just not all that excited about plopping down ~$400 and signing another 2 year contract for (what appear to me like) relatively minor upgrades.

Verizon 3G versus 4G is a no brainer. Otherwise, I mean you don't have to buy a new phone. If you're happy then feel free to stick with what you have. The Razr Maxx has a fantastic battery and at least got upgrade to ICS. Person I find phones at the Droid 2's range to be a bit slow with Android now a days, but I haven't used a Droid 2, so you're call I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Strom Thurmond posted:

You can't really compare MHz to MHz like that. Mobile CPUs of today are significantly faster than they were two years ago, even at similar clock speeds. That's also ignoring speed increases in the OS, which Android has been doing with the last couple revisions that your Droid 2 does not have. (The camera thing, however, is entirely reasonable, and the Galaxy Nexus's is basically the same one that was in the Nexus S, which was average when it came out almost two years ago.)