Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Every crew member on the Wizard took home $151,000 for the Opilio crab season :psyduck:

Now we know why the crew puts up with Keith year after year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

smg77 posted:

THAT FINGER!!!! :psyduck:

As for the paycheck. They work their tails off but it is worth it in the end.

I am amazed that the Northwestern took in that much crab considering the size of the boat.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Jake Anderson got married. Good going man :3:

smg77 posted:

They caught three million loving pounds of crab in a season disrupted by ice. How in the gently caress...

evilwaldo posted:

THAT FINGER!!!! :psyduck:
It's not very often that something on TV makes me spontaneously yell, but yeah that just made me :stonk:

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 25, 2012

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Jake Anderson got married. Good going man :3:

What was up with Jake Harris' face at the wedding? Is he on meth now?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

smg77 posted:

What was up with Jake Harris' face at the wedding? Is he on meth now?
I have a feeling that he's on a long, downward trip.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Elliott's gonna buy his own boat. Good God

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Crazy Ted posted:

I have a feeling that he's on a long, downward trip.

In many ways. It's obvious that he's not taking care of himself, and his performance on the Northwestern was a joke. I can't see anyone else giving him a pity job on another boat.

quote:

Elliott's gonna buy his own boat. Good God

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Oh please get Elliott back for next season. He's an even bigger trainwreck than Jake Harris.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

TaurusOxford posted:

In many ways. It's obvious that he's not taking care of himself, and his performance on the Northwestern was a joke. I can't see anyone else giving him a pity job on another boat.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Oh please get Elliott back for next season. He's an even bigger trainwreck than Jake Harris.
The montage they just showed on After The Catch was high-larious:

"Yeah I've got this guy, he's been my friend for a long time."
"I hate working on this loving boat."
"Then there's this other guy. We've been friends for a long time."
"I can't wait for this season to be over."
"I like hiring my friends because we get along pretty well."
"Elliott is a motherfucker."
"So yeah I think we've got a good thing going."
"This boat is a loving joke."

EDIT: Anderson got married and got his Captain's License. He's had himself quite a summer.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Crazy Ted posted:

The montage they just showed on After The Catch was high-larious:

"Yeah I've got this guy, he's been my friend for a long time."
"I hate working on this loving boat."
"Then there's this other guy. We've been friends for a long time."
"I can't wait for this season to be over."
"I like hiring my friends because we get along pretty well."
"Elliott is a motherfucker."
"So yeah I think we've got a good thing going."
"This boat is a loving joke."

EDIT: Anderson got married and got his Captain's License. He's had himself quite a summer.

Elliott has to be the most embarrassed captain on the planet. It's like he is one of those actors on a sitcom who you're supposed to hate because he is a cocky douchebag who does nothing right, but then you remember that Deadliest Catch is a documentary and that Elliott is being his real self.

Props to Anderson though. The guy has worked his rear end off and deserves everything he has. I'd work for Anderson on a boat in a heartbeat.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Crazy Ted posted:

They caught three million loving pounds of crab in a season disrupted by ice. How in the gently caress...

Well, he played that to his advantage. While the rest of the fleet went home for three weeks, Junior and Keith took the risk to keep fishing and they made a killing. I gained a lot of respect for both captains after this season. As much of an rear end in a top hat Keith is, he gets the job done. And as cocky Junior is, he backs his poo poo talking up, unlike dumbass Elliot. I hope they keep them around on Deadliest Catch for seasons to come, for completely different reasons. I would love to see Elliot get his own boat and totally gently caress it up, and see Junior become the legend he says he wants to be.

Also, Jake Harris has to be on meth. All of those sores don't just appear on one's face. He has become a joke, and it is pretty sad to watch. Luckily Josh is fully capable of carrying on his father's legacy, so that is something to look forward to in that family.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Exploder posted:

Also, Jake Harris has to be on meth. All of those sores don't just appear on one's face. He has become a joke, and it is pretty sad to watch. Luckily Josh is fully capable of carrying on his father's legacy, so that is something to look forward to in that family.

I still find it funny that even Phil didn't think Josh had what it took to be a captain, while he thought Jake was a shoe-in for the seat.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Also came here to ask about meth, glad I am not the only one.

TaurusOxford posted:

I still find it funny that even Phil didn't think Josh had what it took to be a captain, while he thought Jake was a shoe-in for the seat.

My guess is that his dad saw more of himself in Jake than Josh, at least until the end, when it was clear he began having doubts in Jake.

So who thinks the Northwestern crew took it easy on Harris because for all intents and purposes, the boat was Bering Sea rehab for him? Seems clear Edgar didn't want him around after a while but Sig felt obligated to watch over him.

I would love to see a retrospective of both Jakes and how they've changed over the seasons. I guess Josh too, but he always seemed pretty mellow, I dunno.

Also, it's pretty sad to see Edgar's face whenever Sig comes up with reasons why he doesn't want him to captain their boat. I've said it before, but Edgar must have been pretty bad off in the past for Sig to still be hung up about giving him the boat.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

I think a lot of that was because Josh went to college and worked outside of crabbing for a few years before coming back to the boat, unlike Jake who started on the boat full-time right out of high school. I think Phil didn't think Josh was all that serious about being a crabber until Josh started studying for his Captain's license, learning as much as he could about literally every facet of the business and operation of the boat, etc.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

Also came here to ask about meth, glad I am not the only one.

I googled Jake Harris meth the day after the season finale, and it turns out that pretty much the whole Internet is thinking the same way we are.

And, just a personal observation but he's got to be addicted to something. If you'll remember back to the shows leading right up to Phil's sudden stroke and death, Jake was having trouble on the Cornelia Marie; he couldn't follow basic orders, he was aloof, he was cocky, he was half-asleep on the job, and he just looked out of it. Then Phil caught Jake stealing Vicodin from his Captain's Quarters and Jake ended up in rehab.

What were Jake's problems aboard the Northwestern? He couldn't follow basic orders, he was aloof, he was cocky, he was half-asleep on the job, and he looked completely disinterested.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

They made a point this season though to show a little bit of Sig's thought process and what happened after they got the boat. Edgar is a good leader and a very good engineer McGyver type, so he works really well on deck. Does anyone know what happened to the 3rd Hansen brother? I rewatched season 1 a few weeks ago and I had forgotten him.

It sucks for Edgar that he was stuck on deck. Sig has been a stick in the mud about letting go of the captain seat but it must be difficult for him. Even Edgar said he's one of the best captains he has ever seen. It seems like now though he is open to letting Edgar run the boat and he can kick back and maybe be like Jonathan on the Time Bandit giving advice to the brother.

I would imagine pretty soon its going to be Sig as the overseer, Edgar as captain and Jake Anderson as deck boss.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 27, 2012

Marlex the Younger
May 22, 2008

All I've had today was like, six gummy bears and some Scotch.
I was curious about Junior and Edgar's comments about partnering up for blue crabs next season, since neither mentioned Sig.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Marlex the Younger posted:

I was curious about Junior and Edgar's comments about partnering up for blue crabs next season, since neither mentioned Sig.

I wonder how that is going to play out. Is Edgar going to captain a different boat? Also, I think Sig mentioned something on ATC that his plan was to go into an administrative role and have Edgar captain the Northwestern soon. Who knows when "soon" will be. Either way, I don't think Sig wants anything to do with blue crab, so it sounds like Edgar might be getting his own boat. Edgar is more than deserving to be a captain, and to see him team up with Junior would be really fun to watch.

quote:

I think towards the end, Phil acknowledged that Josh was outperforming his brother. But yeah, it is interesting that at one point Jake was the golden boy, and Josh was the college kid who didn't have what it took to be a crabber in Phil's opinion.

Marlex the Younger
May 22, 2008

All I've had today was like, six gummy bears and some Scotch.

Exploder posted:

I think towards the end, Phil acknowledged that Josh was outperforming his brother. But yeah, it is interesting that at one point Jake was the golden boy, and Josh was the college kid who didn't have what it took to be a crabber in Phil's opinion.

Which just goes to show how much potential Jake threw away.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Was it really potential though, or more that he was showing up? Because I feel like I remember him getting chewed out constantly. If he were on the Wizard he might have been fired at several points before Phil's passing.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ToastyPotato posted:

Was it really potential though, or more that he was showing up? Because I feel like I remember him getting chewed out constantly. If he were on the Wizard he might have been fired at several points before Phil's passing.

I think Phil usually chewed him out because Jake was using his credit card without his permission. Jake was never as useless on the Cornelia as he was on Northwestern.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Jake always struck me as a weasely little poo poo.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Not really, he was the captain's son and he showed up. Phil just seemed to have thought Josh's heart wasn't in it because he didn't just start working on the boat right after high school.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

IRQ posted:

Not really, he was the captain's son and he showed up. Phil just seemed to have thought Josh's heart wasn't in it because he didn't just start working on the boat right after high school.

There was still potential. Had Jake given a poo poo, he could've been the captain of the Cornelia Marie by now instead of falling asleep on the Northwestern because he can't keep himself away from drugs. Josh is at least showing he has some desire to learn how to do the job and could probably be drat good at it. Jake on the other hand thinks he is simply entitled to be a captain. The rear end in a top hat is too lazy to work on deck, so why should anyone trust him with their lives and paycheck?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

At this point, I'd be pretty shocked if Jake's story doesn't end tragically. He has been given so much and pisses it away, and he never seems phased by it. In the ATC episodes, whenever he is told this, he always seems to have the same reaction (that he had even when it was Phil himself doing the talking.) He nods and responds in agreement, and tries to inject compliments to the people criticizing him into the conversation.

At this point, even if he manages to turn his life around, I don't see how he could do well on a crab boat.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Anybody checking out the new fishing show, "Off the Hook: Extreme Catches"? It's pretty interesting in terms of unusual fishing techniques, but so far the host, who seems to be going for some kind of "quirky badass mountain man" vibe, doesn't seem nearly as likeable compared to other Discovery guys like the Mythbusters, Turtleman, Mike Rowe, or Jeremy Wade.

edit: Ok he's growing on me, wrestling his guide was kinda funny

e2: would anybody give a poo poo about a Shark Week thread?

Hazo fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jul 31, 2012

nictigre03
Oct 31, 2011
It could be me just misunderstanding the situation but I get the feeling Jake is on opiates because of how he acts. I also loved how he dipped out to go below deck when he was "tired" - ie he was getting his fix. I've lived with addicts through the years and have gotten really good at recognizing dipping out for fixes.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I feel like Shark Week gets less interesting every year, even if some of the shows are prettier.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

ToastyPotato posted:

I feel like Shark Week gets less interesting every year, even if some of the shows are prettier.

There isn't too much you can do with sharks after 25 years. I found it very entertaining when they would include shark-themed episodes of their regular programming about 5 or 6 years ago.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Shark week just doesn't do anything for me now that I'm not 10.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

For a show called Revelations that was pretty boring Thom Beers :(

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Oh my God the Gold Rush fuckers are going to try to mine gold in South America. This is going to be wonderful.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Crazy Ted posted:

Oh my God the Gold Rush fuckers are going to try to mine gold in South America. This is going to be wonderful.

When they go mine diamonds in Africa, I might start watching for the inevitable massacre by African warlords/De Beers mercenaries. That right there would be quality television.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

Crazy Ted posted:

I know the people who own the property in the Yukon where they worked last season. They spent half the year in town getting drunk when the families were not there and we're not happy about his plans for the coming year.

Oh, the drinking never made it air.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Hazo posted:

Anybody checking out the new fishing show, "Off the Hook: Extreme Catches"? It's pretty interesting in terms of unusual fishing techniques, but so far the host, who seems to be going for some kind of "quirky badass mountain man" vibe, doesn't seem nearly as likeable compared to other Discovery guys like the Mythbusters, Turtleman, Mike Rowe, or Jeremy Wade.

edit: Ok he's growing on me, wrestling his guide was kinda funny

I'm actually entirely surprised that he's having problems considering the fact that he has more television experience than everyone there other than Mike Rowe.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

JohnSherman posted:

When they go mine diamonds in Africa, I might start watching for the inevitable massacre by African warlords/De Beers mercenaries. That right there would be quality television.

There's a show on SpikeTV about guys diving near South Africa looking for diamonds. I caught the last few minutes the other day, they were going out to the dive site at night and another boat was following them. Of course they ended the episode there and I didn't care enough to watch the next episode to see what it was.

I'm watching American Guns right now and they're building a guy a shotgun that mounts to the handlebars of his Harley so he can fire it one handed. That seems all kinds of illegal. What would you even need that for unless you were in an outlaw MC?

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004

LordOfThePants posted:

There's a show on SpikeTV about guys diving near South Africa looking for diamonds.

I watched it and it reminded me alot of Gold Rush, there was drama, bunch of good o' boys, but in this show, the people were actually competent.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

LordOfThePants posted:

There's a show on SpikeTV about guys diving near South Africa looking for diamonds. I caught the last few minutes the other day, they were going out to the dive site at night and another boat was following them. Of course they ended the episode there and I didn't care enough to watch the next episode to see what it was.

I'm willing to bet nothing at all happened, since that would kind of make international news if it did... Especially considering how some of Spike's other reality crap is hilariously staged.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

nictigre03 posted:

It could be me just misunderstanding the situation but I get the feeling Jake is on opiates because of how he acts. I also loved how he dipped out to go below deck when he was "tired" - ie he was getting his fix. I've lived with addicts through the years and have gotten really good at recognizing dipping out for fixes.

You can tell by all the sores on his face he's still a junkie.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

It was shocking to see that old footage of Jake with his dad from a few seasons or more ago. He was much more alive back then. Even his last season with his dad (where he admitted to being an addict) you could see a big change in his demeanor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

LordOfThePants posted:

I'm watching American Guns right now and they're building a guy a shotgun that mounts to the handlebars of his Harley so he can fire it one handed. That seems all kinds of illegal. What would you even need that for unless you were in an outlaw MC?

This sounded so ridiculous that I had to go and see for myself. If the biker dude filled out all the proper NFA paperwork for an SBS (short barreled shotgun), and only had it mounted on private land and not while he was cruising around on public roads, no laws would be broken.

• Locked thread