Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop

Cat Mattress posted:

You lose the "yod" sound in "dieu", so it's closer to "deux". Which can easily be made to fit thematically with uu, what with the two u, the uu/UU duality, the object duality of his weapons, etc.

But I don't think that'd be any deliberate decision from Hu(u)ssie. More likely, the ~U counter evokes the ~ATH language and its use of U to mean "universe", that signifies the entry is set to happen once the universe dies (~U -> ~ATH(U)); kinda like in C++ the destructor is prefixed with a tilde. "Destructor" is certainly a title that'd fit uu.

And I agree with those people saying he self-prototyped somehow in his kernhellsprite: sprites have beam attacks, and when he's firing his laz0rs it seems like he's using an overpowered sprite beam. Maybe the wand was to cast a magnifying spell on his attack?

The U with a tilde through it is one of the astrological symbols for Ophiuchus.

Also you dudes need to check out this Lord English hadoken animation that Aborted Slunk created that didn't make the final cut.
http://ib.skaia.net/post/view/52864

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
That was a pretty amazing flash. I think the best part is that it calls back to the chess game he had going with Calliope. He loves figuring out the rules, and how to not break them, but twist them so hard you can see the fibers straining.

I'm really looking forward to seeing if Hussie reveals how he achieved such an insane power level.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Snollygoster posted:

The U with a tilde through it is one of the astrological symbols for Ophiuchus.

I think everybody here knew that? Calliope's symbol is the more traditional one; Caliborn's is the one created by Walter Berg in 1995 and used especially in Japan. There are other symbols that have been proposed earlier and after, as well, such as the Greek letter Phi.

The cruxtruder's countdown, however, separated the U from the ~, and it's the kind of tiny details upon which MSPA speculation is built.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Cat Mattress posted:

The cruxtruder's countdown, however, separated the U from the ~, and it's the kind of tiny details upon which MSPA speculation is built.

Also, in mathematical logic ~ is standard notation for "not." ~U would be the opposite of U.

EDIT: More random symbolism: the wand that English wields is not a wand; it is a conductor's baton.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 28, 2012

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I'm pretty sure Lord English just found himself a time player's quest bed and killed himself on it. :stare:

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I'm wondering if Lord English is not some instant transformation of Caliborn, but the slow, dreadful, purposeful metamorphosis of one who's been at this for a while-going in after beating his game, then beating everyone else's one by one by subverting the rules and intentions to suit his own purposes.

Armadillos!
Mar 28, 2010

I'm a swimming cat. Have you heard of a candy that gives courage and strength to weaklings? No? I see. But you're a strong goon, so I doubt you would need any.
Is it just me, or does the very end of the flash (and/or the track itself) play about sixteen notes of Savior of the Waking World?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
If we interpret Hussie's white eyes to mean that he was already dead before Lord English killed him, all the doomed selves just got sent to another dream bubble, like that episode of South Park where Saddam Hussein and Satan's new boyfriend Chris kill each other repeatedly with no consequence while in Hell.
So it's okay, guys.

Right? :ohdear:

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Cat Mattress posted:

You lose the "yod" sound in "dieu", so it's closer to "deux". Which can easily be made to fit thematically with uu, what with the two u, the uu/UU duality, the object duality of his weapons, etc.

But I don't think that'd be any deliberate decision from Hu(u)ssie. More likely, the ~U counter evokes the ~ATH language and its use of U to mean "universe", that signifies the entry is set to happen once the universe dies (~U -> ~ATH(U)); kinda like in C++ the destructor is prefixed with a tilde. "Destructor" is certainly a title that'd fit uu.

And I agree with those people saying he self-prototyped somehow in his kernhellsprite: sprites have beam attacks, and when he's firing his laz0rs it seems like he's using an overpowered sprite beam. Maybe the wand was to cast a magnifying spell on his attack?

On the possible self-prototyping.

Maybe he didn't during the animation. But the silly beam does suggest sprite powers, so regardless he's probably going to gain them somehow. Post-entry prototyping, dream self prototyping, god tier merger, etc.

One thought I had: I've seen it suggested that both Calliope's and Caliborn's sprites popped out of the cruxtruder, and their overlap cause the black hole to form. That's a fine theory, let's run with it. So what happens is two sprites pop out in the same space, attempt to absorb each other, which sucks them into themselves. Result: black hole. In-game result: a spritesprite. Then you prototype a dreamself, or two, god tier merge yourself into that spritedreamselfsprite, hey presto you gain the powers of both prototypings and god tier. And the first prototyping was a sprite and possibly some energy from a star.

Is a spritesprite necessary? From what I can tell there's no evidence that Jade has sprite powers, just that she has the powers of her prototypings.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
My sister refuses to read homestuck. She's gotten about 50ish pages in or so, and she refuses to continue as she finds the style of humor presented in things like the inventory management to be boring.
I've tried telling her it gets better, but oh well.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
Ugh, Hussie. You're not content with just killing your characters, you have to double kill them?! I was so happy to see all the dead kids and trolls hanging out together in that bubble, just bein friends. drat you, Hussie. :(

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS
I read this theory elsewhere: the kernelsprite at the end isn't a single kernelsprite. It's both Calliope's and Caliborn's in extremely close proximity, which results in a black hole. It's a kernelsprite prototyped with a kernelsprite.

Also Gamzee continues to be the most important character in Homestuck -- that dreambubble is the one Vriska went to and hung out with Beta John. Had Gamzee not made Tavrisprite, Vriska and Tavros probably would have gotten killed.

That has to be of some level of importance.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Saradiart posted:

Also Gamzee continues to be the most important character in Homestuck -- that dreambubble is the one Vriska went to and hung out with Beta John. Had Gamzee not made Tavrisprite, Vriska and Tavros probably would have gotten killed.

That has to be of some level of importance.

Well, it does mean that Vriska is the only one to know Beta John's important info.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop

Cat Mattress posted:

I think everybody here knew that? Calliope's symbol is the more traditional one; Caliborn's is the one created by Walter Berg in 1995 and used especially in Japan. There are other symbols that have been proposed earlier and after, as well, such as the Greek letter Phi.

Oh, no sweat. It's just hard for me to tell any more when the speculation dips into Timecube levels of weird or if it's fans filling in hidden patterns to speculate about the future of the story.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Saradiart posted:

I read this theory elsewhere: the kernelsprite at the end isn't a single kernelsprite. It's both Calliope's and Caliborn's in extremely close proximity, which results in a black hole. It's a kernelsprite prototyped with a kernelsprite.

I wrote it here. :v: Doubt I was the first, though.

However, I'm not quite sure about this part any more. The ~U meaning "universe destructor" does make a fair bit of sense, and it implies that it was designed to do so. The question is whether it was designed by Caliborn or Sburb.

I still think that Caliborn achieved god tier sometime during this flash, though. The Waking World part at the end is too deliberate to be meaningless.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Saradiart posted:

that dreambubble is the one Vriska went to and hung out with Beta John.

How do we know this? There is an arbitrarily large number of dreambubbles, each with an infinitely mutable landscape. The only thing we know for sure is that the meteor passed near this particular bubble as it was destroyed.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Rooreelooo posted:

Edit: one theory as for a sburb / english link. we don't know how sburb was created, but we do have one character who loves to make games for others to play... and then kill them. We could be overthinking this whole thing - caliborn could have created a system that provides him with unlimited people to gently caress with and kill. a never ending string of different people and species, over and over again, playing the same game, and then getting eaten by lord english.

This has been a theory ever since Lord English was first mentioned, since his name is similar to Richard "Lord British" Garriot, video game developer who used Lord British as his alter ego in his games. If this is true it would explain how LE's presence in Paradox Space is sanctioned despite his apparent destructiveness: he created the Sburb game and can sanction whatever he drat well pleases.

Acidophilus
Aug 27, 2009

What's all this then?
I'd wager the blackhole was the result of the catastrophic glitch of the two Kernels prototyping each other, like an ouroboros devouring itself. Didn't Derse and Prospit of that session have odd clothing that mirrored the other kingdom?
Also, LE has a good reason for blowing up dreambubbles: Calliope is in one of them and if he annihilates her dreamself if might free him of her forever.
And finally, Gamzee edited out any mentions in Calliope's book about Lord English and himself. That means that Caliborn won't know that anything in the book is about him or that specific players mentioned might be involved in his creation and perpetuation, nor will he know about that strange clown rear end in a top hat with the Lil Cal doll that creeps him out. That seems like it might be a good thing for our heroes.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Thundarr posted:

How do we know this? There is an arbitrarily large number of dreambubbles, each with an infinitely mutable landscape. The only thing we know for sure is that the meteor passed near this particular bubble as it was destroyed.

Ah, while we know there were countless troll beta timelines (one for each Aradia bot, at the very least), we only know of two Beta timelines for the kids: The one where John died, and the one that Terezi made by coinflipping with Dave. And both are represented here.

Seems probable.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Thundarr posted:

I didn't get it at first either, but rather than that being one of infinity alternate Johns it makes more sense it's the one we know of. The only thing getting in the way of this theory is that nobody saw him while they were passing through-only God-tier John.

There's other dream bubbles out there though. Maybe the Hulk's going to try to pop them all until he finds Calliope. If her dreamself is dead, it would make sense that she's in the Outer Ring somewhere. Arenea and Meenah were conspicuously absent from the chopping block, too.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Bobulus posted:

Ah, while we know there were countless troll beta timelines (one for each Aradia bot, at the very least), we only know of two Beta timelines for the kids: The one where John died, and the one that Terezi made by coinflipping with Dave. And both are represented here.

Seems probable.

When Terezi is viewing Dave during the whole coinflip affair, her Trollian has a bunch of Dave timelines with different numbers after them. We never saw them, but it seems reasonable to assume those were betas. We've just only seen the branches that were relevant to the alpha.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Android Blues posted:

When Terezi is viewing Dave during the whole coinflip affair, her Trollian has a bunch of Dave timelines with different numbers after them. We never saw them, but it seems reasonable to assume those were betas. We've just only seen the branches that were relevant to the alpha.

You talking about this one?

I interpreted that as the way Trollian was displaying Dave's confusing time-travel timeline as best as it could. Only one timeline, the one pointing to Beta-Dave, goes black (dead). The rest only turn dark-red, indicating Dave has time traveled again and is on a new line in the graph.

Regardless of how many beta timelines were created, the two we saw get annihilated in the dream bubble match up with the known ones, so narratively, it makes sense that those were the ones we lost.

This also implies that we just lost Alpha-Equius, since he was the only one in his 'normal' clothes. But that's sad, so I'm not sure I want to believe that.

Silva
Aug 26, 2003

Time is the fire in which we burn
How's that for Dead And Out Of The Story? I guess this completely ruins Vriska's plans to "gently caress poo poo up".

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Yeah, that's showing Dave's time looping. The trolls couldn't see into any beta timeline created by the kids, because those timelines would not lead to stuff in the future that had already happened to the trolls. Remember how in Davesprite's future they never heard from the trolls again after John died?

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Maybe gamzee's been prototyping them, and equius was done last at the last moment?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

http://tubedubber.com/#0AizILfl4z4:oAlztMvvNkk:0:100:0:0:0
this is the best

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Oh hey, the credits page has been updated. The song is "Eternity's Shylock" by Malcolm Brown; it has a bunch of little quotes but is mostly a take on "English" from the Felt album, which is of course the track used for the original English reveal.

Odd title, though uu has demanded his POuND OF SMuT from Dirk before, I guess.

People on tumblr are taking this parallel all the way through the story, and people are assuming that Shylock==Lord English and that Hussie is an anti-semite.

lol.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

That is just freaking uncanny.

I know that track matches up to just about anything, but this time more than most.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
I didn't know Something Awful had a Homestuck thread. That's great and so is the new flash.

I haven't been this excited about a Homestuck flash since Cascade.

It is hard to imagine Caliborn as Lord English if only because his jeering with Dirk. He seemed too pathetic to be Lord English. The hints were always there, though.

So, anyway, guys does it seem like Lord English is targeting Dave? In the dream bubble thing, that quest bed's looked like Dave's. Why was the dead people congregating there? I'm probably missing something, but do you think Lord English is/will begin assaulting Time players?

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

Armadillos! posted:

Is it just me, or does the very end of the flash (and/or the track itself) play about sixteen notes of Savior of the Waking World?

Well, if it doesn't, then we're both crazy because I heard that as well.

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y
More importantly: when the black hole first appears, the music is very familiar. But I just can't figure out which song it's based on.

The song also ends in a fashion similar to the end of Descend. Intentional?

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Mr. D Bewildering posted:

More importantly: when the black hole first appears, the music is very familiar. But I just can't figure out which song it's based on.

I recognize some bridges from Do you Remem8er Me in that part of the sequence, that might be what you're recognizing.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
A detail that might be important: on Caliborn's Kernelsprite machine, his symbol got split into "~U". For about the time Hussie was in school, this was the way to denote "Not 'U'" in formal mathematical logic.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Im just going to assume that two players with one Cruxtruder produced two kernels and they freaked out when attempting to essentially prototype each other.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

no wait this
http://tubedubber.com/#0AizILfl4z4:ObxMP2v6ke8:0:100:0:0:1

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Here's some speculation that I thought was really on-the-nose:

http://geromykyle.tumblr.com/post/28201627235 posted:

so lets talk about caliborn's symbol. obviously it's one of the signs of ophiuchus the serpent bearer and all that, but this part of the flash just made something go click with me.

the other cruxtruders had a countdown on those panels, but cal's is his symbol. except the tilde and the U are seperated, so we have ~U.

now bear with me because i'm about as lovely at coding as karkat is, but

i'm sure we all remember ~ATH, the programming language used to code Karkat's curse and the unhackable program that Sollux found which started running when the universe was destroyed, allowing Lord English to already be here.
~ATH has a class called universe, as seen here.

quote:

import universe U;
a class is just a blueprint. once it's imported into a program you can make copies of it and use them at your leisure. so basically, that line of code means "make a new universe and name it "U""

now here's where the interesting part starts.

affixing a tilde to a class in the C programming languages (which ~ATH very closely resembles) creates a "destructor". these are used to destroy instances of a class after it's served its function and is no longer needed, in order to free up memory and resources so the program can run faster.

~U / U̴ means "destroy universe". it is the ~ATH symbol for Lord English's entire purpose.

the cruxtruder was/is counting down until the destruction of a universe. thats probably why caliborn was a little peeved - who knows how long that could take? but what happens right after this panel? the kernelsprite goes nuts and creates a black hole, apparently paradoxically fulfilling its own requirement for the session's entry. that's paradox space for you!

http://saveworldgetgirls.tumblr.com/post/28203686506 posted:

It’s interesting to note that in the programming language C++, a tilde (~) identifies a destructor, a subroutine in object-oriented programming which is invoked when an object goes “out of scope” in order to clean house and free resources. To put it simply, what out of scope means here is that the object has reached the breadth of its usability

Doc Scratch refers to English’s rampage as a congenital and well-documented function of paradox space. What this update suggests to me is that is Caliborn, along with the separate incarnations of Lord English which Doc Scratch alluded to, is a literal destructor.

The math which can be used to determine the amount of players in a session (48/4 = 12; 12/3 = 4; 4/2 = 2) eventually creates a conundrum where the amount of players can decline no further (2/1 = 2). This is Calliope and Caliborn’s session and the breadth of Paradox Space, wherein it has gone out of scope. At this point, Paradox Space will enliven a destructor to free resources. This is the reason for Lord English’s existence.

If time is the fire in which we burn, then I would surmise that space is the great giver of life. It is even implied here—the tilde is formatted in red, and the U, for universe, is formatted in lime green. It would be interesting to see the surviving children and trolls usher in the new Paradox Space that will be created.

(Captcha code for uploading the screencap of the cruxtruder was “you win.” I’ve got it all figured out, guys.)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So with Lord English using Hussie's science wand to wreck poo poo, it looks like the people predicting that LE would essentially take over the narrative are right.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

http://saveworldgetgirls.tumblr.com/post/28203686506 posted:

It would be interesting to see the surviving children and trolls usher in the new Paradox Space that will be created.
The scope of this story never stops getting more and more ridiculous.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Fucknag posted:

So with Lord English using Hussie's science wand to wreck poo poo, it looks like the people predicting that LE would essentially take over the narrative are right.

Get ready for panel after panel of tepid porn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
The stakes keep getting higher. LE finally eclipses Jack.

Yesssssss.