Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Has anyone here seen Sleeping Beauty and can spoil for me exactly how dark and disturbing it actually gets? It's next on my queue but I find if I watch films that are greatly unnerving (i.e. one of those Korean thrillers) on weekday evenings I have too much difficulty sleeping at nights.

I'm serious about this. I guess maybe I've just become more sqeamish as I get older, but there have already been occasions where I stop a film and read the wikipedia synopsis to decide if I can handle watching it on a weeknight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talks To Cats
Jan 7, 2012
I hate my job and I hate you, but I'll put up with my job because it makes me a shit-ton of money. I can tell you how to do the same...but you won't listen.

I support charity:water with my erotica charity bundles. Water changes everything.
It's not nearly as disturbing as you'd expect nor nearly as interesting as you'd expect.

You will have no trouble sleeping after, and possibly during, the film.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Back to apocalypse now, I'd also love to hear first reactions. I think it is probably one of the most perfect films ever made. As far as redux, there are some good additions but it's pretty clear why they were left out; though the extra Brando scenes are great.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

kuddles posted:

Has anyone here seen Sleeping Beauty and can spoil for me exactly how dark and disturbing it actually gets? It's next on my queue but I find if I watch films that are greatly unnerving (i.e. one of those Korean thrillers) on weekday evenings I have too much difficulty sleeping at nights.

I'm serious about this. I guess maybe I've just become more sqeamish as I get older, but there have already been occasions where I stop a film and read the wikipedia synopsis to decide if I can handle watching it on a weeknight.

It's not very disturbing, however, Emily Browning is quite good in it.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

kuddles posted:

It's not really disturbing at all, like the worst part I guess is some old guy (minor spoiler) calling a passed out girl names and burning her behind the ear with a cigarette and maybe he sticks his fingers in her mouth I can't really remember.

Honestly it's just not a very good movie. It's as if somebody wanted to make an "art-film" but forgot to have something to say.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
Let's not have another TV show derail in here, okay?

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011

Danger posted:

Back to apocalypse now, I'd also love to hear first reactions. I think it is probably one of the most perfect films ever made. As far as redux, there are some good additions but it's pretty clear why they were left out; though the extra Brando scenes are great.

I much prefer watching redux. I know people enjoy the tighter pace of the original but redux just adds so much more texture.

E: One thing we can all agree on is that Hearts of Darkness needs to be on streaming.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

matrocious posted:

I much prefer watching redux. I know people enjoy the tighter pace of the original but redux just adds so much more texture.

E: One thing we can all agree on is that Hearts of Darkness needs to be on streaming.

Don't get me wrong, there are great scenes. I honestly don't mind the French chateau, but it just doesn't work all together I feel. Like I said the extra Brando stuff is fantastic, also the extra bits with Duvall.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

I just started watching a series called The Book Group from 2002 about an American 20-something woman who moves to Glasglow and starts a book club to make friends. Its pretty enjoyable so far, with a lot of cringeworthy moments involving all the interactions with the people in the group.

Victorkm fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 27, 2012

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
So I tried posting about BB in the BB thread and apparently I opened a big can of worms.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3494690&pagenumber=85&perpage=40#post405980186

I was told my post was "intentionally overinflammatory." I just wanted to discuss Fly.

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 27, 2012

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

So I tried posting about BB in the BB thread and apparently I opened a big can of worms.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3494690&pagenumber=85&perpage=40#post405980186

I was told my post was "intentionally overinflammatory." I just wanted to discuss Fly.

People in the Breaking Bad threads have been arguing in circles about The Fly for two years, it's a sore point.

Besides, the actual BB thread is up-to-date, and thanks to TVIV's spoiler policy you can't really read it without being spoiled. The TVIV general chat and the "What Series Did You Finish Binging?" thread might be a good substitute.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I watched the first two episodes of Terriers and am now very much looking forward to watching the rest of them.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Just finished all of Fishing with John. A transcendent experience. I want to call it ahead of its time, and it is, but it's also ahead of the present time, and ahead of all times, past and future. It is atemporal. We will never see its ilk, in this realm of existence at least, again. I think I now know what heaven might resemble.

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

Martin Van Buren posted:

Just finished all of Fishing with John. A transcendent experience. I want to call it ahead of its time, and it is, but it's also ahead of the present time, and ahead of all times, past and future. It is atemporal. We will never see its ilk, in this realm of existence at least, again. I think I now know what heaven might resemble.

Millions of years hence, alien psycholinguists will study Fishing with John and place a shot of the cover art next to the entry "deadpan (adj. human)."

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Martin Van Buren posted:

I started watching the first one, and when the gravely-narrated line, "The two fishermen are covered with sores and boners," appeared in the midst of an otherwise meditative journey, I knew immediately that I wasn't going to stop until I had watched them all.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

I honestly can't decide on which is my favorite. Matt Dillon dancing, Willem Defoe trying to cuddle up, Dennis Hopper clearly stoned out of his mind...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Starcrash was loving terrible. You guys are jerks.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Worst Case Ontario posted:

I watched the first two episodes of Terriers and am now very much looking forward to watching the rest of them.
God loves a terrier!

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Starcrash was loving incredible. You guys are the best.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Some movies I like that I noticed are on Netflix:

Ghost Dog - Modern day hitman follows the code of the Samurai.
Mothman Prophecies - Spooky drama with Richard Gere.
Severance - Fun British horror comedy.
Surveillance - Twisted serial killer thriller with Bill Pullman.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

hypersleep posted:

Severance - Fun British horror comedy.

Yes! I can't second this enough.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Volume posted:

Yes! I can't second this enough.

Seconded, despite it starring Danny Dyer.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Raising Arizona seems to have come back to streaming recently. Not my favorite Coen Bros. movie, but it's definitely worth a watch.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Watched Fishing with John on the thread's recommendation today.

The episode with Willem Defoe may be the funniest thing I have ever seen.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
I too marathon-d Fishing with John, and I can't even remember the last time I laughed out loud so often at a TV show. Showed it to my girlfriend and she hated it, so I'm probably going to have to sever.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

hypersleep posted:

Ghost Dog - Modern day hitman follows the code of the Samurai.

The premise of this movie sounds really loving dumb but it is great. The RZA does the soundtrack and it is actually an interesting, well made movie.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Sorry for the doublepost, but is the version of The Thief and the Cobbler on instant right now the Recobbled version, by any chance?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Samfucius posted:

Sorry for the doublepost, but is the version of The Thief and the Cobbler on instant right now the Recobbled version, by any chance?

No, it's not. There's (almost) no chance of that ever being on anything but youtube.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

The premise of this movie sounds really loving dumb but it is great. The RZA does the soundtrack and it is actually an interesting, well made movie.

Given that it's essentially a reimagining of Le Samourai, which is one of the best crime films ever made, I wouldn't say it sounds really loving dumb. :v:

Ghost Dog loving owns anyhow

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Samfucius posted:

I too marathon-d Fishing with John, and I can't even remember the last time I laughed out loud so often at a TV show. Showed it to my girlfriend and she hated it, so I'm probably going to have to sever.

Don't give in - remain steadfast! Replace "Fishing" with "Louie" and this is my story. Despite my thorough enjoyment and laughing out loud at his totally perverse and repulsive sense of humor, my wife completely hated it. I stood my ground until the end and am a better man because of it.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I really really like Ghost Dog. I considered making a mega thread for it once. It's one of those movies that doesn't seem like it would turn out that great, but it's a really good, underrated film.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Following up on Thor last month, Captain America has been added to streaming.

owsley
Feb 23, 2011
Echoing Fishing with John. My love for Tom Waits and Jim Jarmusch compelled me to search for this a while back, and I was floored when I found out it was added to Netflix. The episode with Willem Defoe is the best one IMO. I was sort of disappointed by the Tom Waits episode when I watched it, though. I found out that Tom was pretty angry with Lurie after they filmed the episode, and apparently didn't speak to him for two years after this. Might have had something to do with it.

Anyways, I think you guys should check out Le Quattro Volte if you can handle a ~90 minute film with no dialogue. It is based on the Pythagorean idea of reincarnation in four stages. I was surprised at how entertaining and thought provoking I found it. Check it out.

I'll just rattle off a few other films I've enjoyed recently on Netflix...
Dogtooth - Highly recommended.
Broken Flowers - Jim Jarmusch film with Bill Murray? Awesome.
Punch-Drunk Love - For some reason I ignored this movie because of Adam Sandler, writing it off as another crappy romantic comedy. This is while I knew it was directed by PTA...Don't be like me. This is excellent, and if you haven't watched it, watch it.
The Long Goodbye - I like everything I've seen from Altman, and this is no exception.
Gosford Park - Same as above.
The Vengeance Trilogy (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy, and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance) - I really enjoyed this trilogy, but I did find the english dubbed audio in Oldboy to be slightly annoying.

owsley fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 28, 2012

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

hypersleep posted:

Surveillance - Twisted serial killer thriller with Bill Pullman.
...written and directed by David Lynch's daughter. It's kinda strange in it's own way and it's hard for me to know if I really like it.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
The Sound of Noise is a really fun movie about a group of terrorist drummers versus a tone deaf policeman who hates music. It's entertaining throughout and the big drumming sequences are a blast.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

WickedIcon posted:

Given that it's essentially a reimagining of Le Samourai, which is one of the best crime films ever made, I wouldn't say it sounds really loving dumb. :v:

Ghost Dog loving owns anyhow

I think he means the between the name and the awful cover art, the movie looks extremely lame and cheesy.

Unless you knew had prior knowledge of it you wouldn't look at it and go "this is probably a good movie."

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Flippycunt posted:

I think he means the between the name and the awful cover art, the movie looks extremely lame and cheesy.

Unless you knew had prior knowledge of it you wouldn't look at it and go "this is probably a good movie."

In fairness, the first time I saw it was because my friend and I saw it and thought "holy poo poo this looks terrible" for those reasons and it turned out to be amazing.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
You know what's a good time? Series 7: The Contenders is a good time. Basically, it's a reality show where 6 contestants are selected and the last one breathing, wins. It was made in 2001 and pretty well satirizes Cops, The Real World and few other reality TV heavy hitters of the time. Pretty funny too. Also, there can never be enough movies that have little to no backstory as to why people are hunting down and killing each other for the public's entertainment.

But yeah, stream that sucker already.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Glamorama26 posted:

You know what's a good time? Series 7: The Contenders is a good time. Basically, it's a reality show where 6 contestants are selected and the last one breathing, wins. It was made in 2001 and pretty well satirizes Cops, The Real World and few other reality TV heavy hitters of the time. Pretty funny too. Also, there can never be enough movies that have little to no backstory as to why people are hunting down and killing each other for the public's entertainment.

But yeah, stream that sucker already.

Seconded; it's a really good movie. Also keep your ear out for a young Will Arnett as the narrator of the reality show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet but if anyone hasn't seen Kagemusha and has even the slightest interest in medieval Japan, it's by far my favorite film dealing with that era. It's not as cheesy as Ran and not as slow as The Seven Samurai - definitely worth a watch.

What aspect of Ran do you find cheesy?

• Locked thread