Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

The most amazing experience I ever had playing Warhammer 40000 was a few years back, when almost an entire squad of my Khorne Berserkers was taken out by a single Guardsman.

It was all basically down to a bunch of supremely unlikely dice rolls, pretty much, but there was something magical about it. The frothing maniacal Chaos Space Marines had eviscerated the rest of this guy's squad, but he made some amazing morale tests, my Berserkers weren't hitting for poo poo past the initial engagement, and it came down to this one guy, whom I imagine was screaming like a maniac, whittling down the Berserkers until only one was left standing.

Probability turned itself around then, of course, and the Guardsman was cut down in the ensuing duel, but that one remaining Berserker probably walked away from that filled with a sense of childlike wonder at having faced what had to be the Blood God's own mortal incarnation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exculpatrix
Jan 23, 2010
So, last weekend my gaming society had its annual 24-hour gaming marathon: 20 games spread over 5 time-slots, from noon Saturday to noon Sunday. It's both the best and worst idea.

For part of the best side, the last game I played in, starting at 8am Sunday, was a session of Don't Rest Your Head. Which, if you don't know it, is a game about insomniacs who've been awake so long they become Awake, and can see the Mad City that lurks behind reality. And it can see them, and there are lots of things their they'd rather not be seen by.

So playing that after 20 hours of gaming without a break, and 26 hours of being awake, that made for an interesting experience.

The party was all just broken desperate people. We had Lucy, who had ventured into the markets of the Mad City looking for a friend, but couldn't accept anyone because she wasn't comfortable accepting herself. All interaction between her and the GM took the form of a dialogue between her and her psychiatrist.

There was a struggling writer who couldn't finish any work because he had no muse, and wouldn't allow anyone close until he finished something, because a failed writer didn't deserve friends. He's sold his potential future success so many times in deals with creatures that offered to sort him out, to the point where if he ever did succeed he'd get nothing out of it, having bartered it all away in advance.

And then there was Caleb. Caleb wasn't like the others. Caleb was a winner. Caleb was a winner because he'd met a winner, killed them, and taken their life. Everything about him was stolen. His goal was to erase the differences, to become his victim perfectly. Because then that guy wouldn't really be dead, he'd live on in Caleb, and if he wasn't dead Caleb couldn't have murdered him and wouldn't have to feel so guilty. Caleb ended up tracking down and inhaling the guy's last breath, to be more like him.

It was a weird game, and we lost one player to sleep, but definitely an interesting experience. There were other highlights throughout the marathon, but DRYH was certainly one of the more interesting gaming experiences I've had.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Exculpatrix posted:

and we lost one player to sleep
I hope that was during DRYH and the rest of you roleplayed accordingly.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is going to be a long story.

So, I'm in a game of Vampire. Requiem for Rome, to be exact. We've had a party of five players for the longest time, finally losing one a few months ago. The game really slowed down after that for a while, but tonight is probably the beginning of a reversing trend.

So, a bit of background first. Requiem for Rome is a game about vampires in ancient Rome. We have a coterie of five again now. First there is Tiberius, the politician and supposed leader of the group. Second we have Tycho, a rather charismatic soldier-type who is starting to feel rather disaffected (both in and out of character :(). Then there is Magilus, the betrayed assassin who's been plotting revenge on what is basically the entirety of vampire society, the Camarilla. He's also slowly going insane. The new player is playing an older politician who's recently fallen on hard times. Ovidia is an old hand at playing the puppetstrings.

And finally, there is my character. Tertius, the hulking former gladiator turned monstrous-looking freak of the party. He's the size of a refrigerator, creaks like an old chair when he moves, and coughs up black blood and worse when he talks, due to an old injury in life that persists in his death. Despite his size, he's actually an aspiring scholar, and the usual choice when the party needs a burglary done (he can effectively turn invisible). Jack of all trades, really. He's also the consummate opportunist. His modus operandi is simple. Watch. Listen. Learn. Survive.

Tertius has been making dealings on the side for a long time in-game. OOC everybody knows what's going on, of course. IC nobody really has any clue that he's anything other than a particularly useful tool with a couple idiosyncracies. But things probably aren't going to stay that way now.

See, Tertius has been doing some investigation on some recent happenings at the Senex (the vampire senate). Crazy poo poo, sudden madness and rioting (caused by Magilus, actually, but it's a long story). Tertius decided that he had to know what was going on. A few called-in favors later, he got an audience with an old jewish rabbi who is definitely a mage of no little power. Some shenanigans later, he got a cryptic message from the magus.

It was instructions to go to a particular place the very next night, with a weapon and a poo poo-load of caution. Tertius follows these instructions and finds himself at an old, run-down villa. It looks abandoned from the outside.

When he sneaks over the wall under the cloak of the power that he possesses and comes inside, he's faced with a scene of madness.

You see, the greatest threat to the Camarilla is something collectively known as the Striges. They are yellow-eyed owl spirits that possess the bodies of the dead (and undead, if they can catch them in torpor). They hate vampires, but most specifically they hate vampires of a certain clan called the Julii. The Julii, consummately Roman, happen to be the reigning force of the Cam throughout the empire. Legend is that the Julii are somehow the offspring of the Striges, and betrayed them in some way leading to the Striges bearing an undying vendetta for their heirs.

The villa's atrium is filled with dead bodies. Some lie inanimate, but the vast yellow-eyed majority are venerating an altar, upon which a priestess-figure with glowing violet (yeah I have no idea what is going on there) is performing some sort of rite with a human heart. This is where poo poo gets hosed up.

See, the ST expects me at this point to try to interrupt the ceremony or leave to tell the Camarilla that there is a festering infestation of Striges within the city or something.

Instead, Tertius finds a good dramatic place to stand on a rooftop (which just so happens to be a great escape route due to me having hilarious dice pool for rooftop shenanigans). Then Tertius muses to himself on how faced with a threat like this, the Camarilla must eventually fall, no matter how many infestations of Striges they manage to root out. Then he uncloaks himself, and with a loud harsh cry that causes his throat to burn with every word, shouts out "I come in peace. What is the price of the Julii?"

The rest of the players had been following a different plot thread during this time. The OOC channel went dead in shocked silence.

What follows after is a quick exchange between him and the priestess-thing. She shows some rather disconcerting knowledge of who he is and who his companions are. He offers work with them to bring about the extinction of the Julii with the condition that he be allowed to live in peace thereafter. She offers him a quick and mostly painless descent into torpor, so they can skinjack him. He refuses, tells her that with her knowledge she'll know where to find him if she agrees to his terms, and attempts to exit stage left.

She uses some mind mojo to try to stop him in his tracks. It almost works, almost. Hilariously enough, resistance to that sort of thing is one of his many strengths (he doesn't hardly sound like a real character, when I think about it). With only a minor hiccup, he makes his escape across the rooftops of the city, throwing up a new cloak of darkness as he does so. That's where the session ended.

tl;dr I made a character who is the consummate shadowy opportunist and managed to pull off the most shocking development in the history of this two-year game singlehandedly.

I can't loving wait to see how this turns out. Whether it ends well or horribly, I just ratcheted up the energy of the game to a whole new level. poo poo's gotten interesting.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Mental resistances are one of my favorite things :allears:

Shame most things I've dabbled in, protection from mind rape tends to be just as, or more costly than being able to level buildings at will. Or when I even have it, it gets bypassed because PLOT.

The one time I figured I'd try out Vampire in a freshly starting game, I was informed after the fact and after approval with it on my guy newb Brujah, that the Anti-Domination trait (I was the only one who had taken it at that point) was going to be banned from everyone because "We feel it is overpowered". Exit Game, stage left. :v:

Oh, right. Antics aside from metagame. I forget the title they held, but basically "Vampire lady in charge of punishing those who violate the masquerade, or somesuch gets in topless bar counter slapfight with rival vampire Official lady".

My sole contribution to that whole thing was to calmly throw her top back to her and leave the nightclub rolling my eyes (behind my sunglasses at night :rock:)

EDIT: They offered to let me keep the Anti-Domination trait, but I informed them that the mere decision/opinion that "less mind rape options against players is terrible" was kind of a personal warning flag to me. At least they were polite, so least I could do was be the same.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jul 19, 2012

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Every year at our local gaming con, I run a midnight to 4 in the morning DRYH on the second day, for just this reason. Nothing beats a game of DRYH when everyone is tired from 18-to-36 hours of gaming.

Last year, I built the story around a psychotic killer teddy bear, and as a prop I got a cheap teddy bear and spent a week roughing it up, ripping it, and making it look like a lost, forgotten, neglected child's toy. I pulled it out when the group first met the bear (whose name was Mr. BoBo, I think) and left it on the table the whole game. the group soon stopped looking at it, and I could see the moment when they completely tuned it out to focus on what was happening in the game.

In the climatic showdown, I threw the bear at them without any lead-in or warning. If you've never seen grown men and women scream because a teddy bear is headed their way, you've never lived.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Section Z posted:

The one time I figured I'd try out Vampire in a freshly starting game, I was informed after the fact and after approval with it on my guy newb Brujah, that the Anti-Domination trait (I was the only one who had taken it at that point) was going to be banned from everyone because "We feel it is overpowered". Exit Game, stage left. :v:
To be fair, Iron Will was totally broken; it completely shut off any and all uses of Dominate just by spending a willpower point, regardless of generation of anyone involved. And while I agree that Dominate is kind of a dick discipline, being able to totally negate it for 2 freebies at creation is kind of lame.

And of course, having your resistances bypassed because PLOT is totally bullshit. If something tries to MC me and I resist, I'm still gonna go after the plot you're trying to force because, well, wouldn't you want to know what's trying to control your brain? Possibly even stop it from making future attempts?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Byers2142 posted:

In the climatic showdown, I threw the bear at them without any lead-in or warning. If you've never seen grown men and women scream because a teddy bear is headed their way, you've never lived.
...oh my God, I'm stealing this.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Yawgmoth posted:

To be fair, Iron Will was totally broken; it completely shut off any and all uses of Dominate just by spending a willpower point, regardless of generation of anyone involved. And while I agree that Dominate is kind of a dick discipline, being able to totally negate it for 2 freebies at creation is kind of lame.

And of course, having your resistances bypassed because PLOT is totally bullshit. If something tries to MC me and I resist, I'm still gonna go after the plot you're trying to force because, well, wouldn't you want to know what's trying to control your brain? Possibly even stop it from making future attempts?

The Changeling version was better.

On the topic, though, Dominate was an extremely central discipline to those who had it; it required investiture in large scale in statistics that didn't mesh with any other abilities that the Player was going to have and was often the way out of fights, especially for lower powered players. To just be able to spend a willpower point and shrug it off made them completely ineffective, and if they were planning on PC vs. PC being a potential thing then it meant that your 2 freebie points meant that if you came up against a character specialized in dominate, he lost. If they were solely using dominate by the MEGA-NPC #1 to make sure you all did what he wanted, that's bullshit, though.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
Hehehe... Once again the Encounters group pulls out some more insanity.
:o:: Whats a Macaw?
:confused:: Whats a what now?
:o:: I have it written down in my inventory. I have a Macaw.
:): Its a bird.
:o:: Why do I have a bird?
:): I don't remember. You just gave yourself a Macaw at one point. Trust me its just a bird.
:confused:: I don't remember any of that. :psyduck:

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 19, 2012

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

TheAnomaly posted:

The Changeling version was better.

On the topic, though, Dominate was an extremely central discipline to those who had it; it required investiture in large scale in statistics that didn't mesh with any other abilities that the Player was going to have and was often the way out of fights, especially for lower powered players. To just be able to spend a willpower point and shrug it off made them completely ineffective, and if they were planning on PC vs. PC being a potential thing then it meant that your 2 freebie points meant that if you came up against a character specialized in dominate, he lost. If they were solely using dominate by the MEGA-NPC #1 to make sure you all did what he wanted, that's bullshit, though.
While I left that game before it came up, my experiences tend to be "Both, even though it's NOT a PvP Game" regardless of system, made up system, or freeform.

They have all kind of blurred together, so it's hard for me to pull specific examples. Though there was ONE BBoard game where it went in reverse.

I was first player to app, I gave myself Magic and Mental resistances/bypasses as my primary gimmick alongside being an alien soldier type due. Approved. 90% of every other player joining was some form of Mind rape build, Dark soul rending magic build, or BOTH. This was also, one of the rare instances where the GM was cool with my gig and went with it.

You can't say I was metagaming, I was there first. Does this mean I was META Metagaming?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 20, 2012

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Section Z posted:

While I left that game before it came up, my experiences tend to be "Both, even though it's NOT a PvP Game" regardless of system, made up system, or freeform.

They have all kind of blurred together, so it's hard for me to pull specific examples. Though there was ONE BBoard game where it went in reverse.

I was first player to app, I gave myself Magic and Mental resistances/bypasses as my primary gimmick alongside being an alien soldier type due. Approved. 90% of every other player joining was some form of Mind rape build, Dark soul rending magic build, or BOTH. This was also, one of the rare instances where the GM was cool with my gig and went with it.

You can't say I was metagaming, I was there first. Does this mean I was META Metagaming?

I suppose you have a foreknowledge that the types of people who you're likely to meet in a random game, or whom you fear might be there, tend to build a certain kind of character, and accordingly you went in with the intention of being impervious to that kind of bullshit. I guess you were meta-gaming?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

My favorite gaming experience has to be the time that I was running a Paranoia mission. Early on my players were trying to bully an uncooperative robot clerk into giving them the equipment they needed for their mission. The usual Paranoia runaround of "You don't have the right paperwork" and "I think that's beyond your security clearance." At some point my friend who I basically invite to every Paranoia game I ever run because he tends to keep the fun going, randomly informs me that he wants to sneak up behind the robot and detach it's arm. I decide to let him, and he rolls so well that I just let him have the arm, no questions about why he wants an arm.

Cut 20-30 minutes later and they've gotten themselves in trouble. The player from before is now on the ground getting hassled by security goons, accusing him of some random offense when he yells out "It wasn't me! It was the one-armed roboman!" I was confused for a moment until it occurred to me that he planned this stupid joke nearly a half hour in advance, and he immediately became my favorite player.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
This week in Traveller my group had just disabled a pirate corsair and made the crew fight to the death, recruiting the appropriately named Wulf Bloodaxe to their crew.

Their next endeavour was to use their disabled pirate corsair to lure the other pirate vessel nearby into a trap. Hacking their communications they had both ships send out distress signals, trying to lure the bandits (essentially the only noteworthy presence in the TL7 system) out and into boarding. Their plan was well executed and bloody. They lured the pirates on board by pretending they didn't realise the second vessel were pirates and then used a tranq grenade to knock out most of the boarding party. Highlights of this fight included Black Jack (an NPC being played by a PC whose character had no combat skills) waving his hands at the enemy and winking at the actual psychic on board. Then after they finished with the boarding crew, Jack cheerfully offered to bind the knocked out pirates (for the best chance to pick-pocket them) and the rest of the crew moved onto the corsair and mowed down the non-combatants aboard. Once they had acquired their Trojan horse they set about to landing in the pirate base without being attacked.

After landing in the landing area of the small base on the moon, the pirates immediately rush out to examine the ship. On cue, the crew blasts the pirates to pieces using the corsairs own turrets, melting a significant hole in the bulkhead in the process. After promising the two last pirates in the command center their life if they stop depressurising the airlock and co-operate they go into the base. Black Jack splits off from the group to go loot meaningless trinkets from the dead pirates while the rest of the group finds the vault. After gathering enough matter from the dead pirate captain to actually fool the DNA scanner and hacking it to pass the identity check, they get access to the vault. The vault itself is a little lackluster, but the secret compartment further in has two very interesting things for the group.

The first is a canister of Aslani super-drug, destined to be examined and adapted for use on humans. The second is a strange organic metal that generates an electrical current which they have no idea about. The psychic pockets it figuring (incorrectly) it has to have something to do with psychic abilities. At this point Black Jack rides in on a grav bike and basically goes 'what's up'. The crew loots the base, takes the second corsair with them and jumps back to Drinax. There they exchange the corsair for a bunch of ship shares (selling a ship at anywhere near remotely their true value is a ridiculous profit, so I've told my players quite honestly that if they try to gift ships or trade them for specific things, they'll get more value than just selling it. Also ships are ID tagged and there are other complications to selling them, not the least is finding a fence willing to deal with them) which resulted in fixing up the ship proper. However, they ran into a problem.

They'd mentioned to the crew what the drug was, and that it probably didn't work on humans but just to be safe they shouldn't touch it. Second day in port one vial of the treatment has been used. Now I'm playing it that the Predator Treatment is not just an injection, but whomever has taken the drug either doesn't know that or doesn't care. The crew is convinced it can't be one of their own, as no-one is reacting strangely or has seen the doctor, but yet no-one else outside knew of the drug at that point. So they've got a potentially deadly and probably dangerous mystery to solve right now. Also there's the matter of that strange metal. No-one's been dumb/smart enough to hook it up to a power source yet, but if they do something very interesting will happen. Finally, no one knows whether Black Jack really is pyschic or not yet, not even me. But I plan to keep it ambiguous as long as possible.

The crew is riding high on success right now, but it was an easy first heist. They've not made any friends yet and already some major in the navy has had his pet Aslani trade route piracy ruined, and also his attempt to engineer a super-soldier drug. Admittedly one of the group is an Admiral, but the conspiracy might reach further than they immediately though. Drinax has an extra corsair and they have an extra pocketful of credits, but they've got a long way to go in terms of making their Letter of Marque legally worth the paper it's printed onto.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
When are we going to hear more about the crazy Star Wars game?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

VanSandman posted:

When are we going to hear more about the crazy Star Wars game?

When we actually get to play it again; our friendly local gaming store is closed, sadly, and so between finding new gaming space and several scheduling disasters at our GM's workplace, game sessions have been pretty thin on the ground.

Soon as it happens you'll all doubtless hear about it, believe me.

powerful lizard
Jan 28, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

When we actually get to play it again; our friendly local gaming store is closed, sadly, and so between finding new gaming space and several scheduling disasters at our GM's workplace, game sessions have been pretty thin on the ground.

Soon as it happens you'll all doubtless hear about it, believe me.

It ended on a high note. Even if the empire wins the battle you basically cost them the war. Now, for the highlights of the time I went to play Fiasco and introduce some friends to the whole nerdgames thing and ended up living it.

I was told by my friend that she wanted to hang out, and my other friend was coming with us, so I told them I had a game that was basically rolling dice to make the clusterfuck of Burn After Reading in other settings/sets of people.

My friend the one of the two of us who can fight was off getting coffee and going to a gas station when her boyfriend (who was going to be our fourth player and thought the game sounded awesome) called in a rage and said that I had better get out of there right now because he was going to literally kill me. I did so, spent 2 hours in a chinese place yelling at my carrier to get my service on so I could call my friend, and finally he shows up. Then I find out he didn't give up on that because I wasn't there then since he declared I owed him 80$.

If anything, he owed me money but that's beside the point when he's got more force to bear to create compliance than I do, and we start walking. He heads off on the highway to pick up his friends (who, to my knowledge, were armed), and gets... caught in some very unlikely traffic, which means we just had to walk across town looking out for the people he knows who he told I was a poo poo who owed him. Which made our lives easier, but there was a lot of hiding in shadows and bushes when a car we figured might hold trouble came by.

We sat at a train station for a bit, waiting for things to calm down and them to give up on the immediate area (or to hop a train to NYC and gently caress around until this calmed down/daylight came and it was easier to get home). But no trains came, and people were driving around the lot. At least they never went up the stairs and checkd the platform. We grabbed some gatorades and energy strips and hoofed it about five miles as fast as we goddamn could (and I thought I was disabled on the endurance front. Apparently I just need to be scared enough).

Hid out at a friends house for a bit, hung out and talked music before having my sister pick us up so my friend could go sell one of his most precious possessions (his amp) to mollify the dude to save *my* rear end. Had to sell it to one of the people we all hated to come up with the money by 1am, too. My friend managed to calm the dude down despite his withdrawl freakout, and we were out of the woods then.

tl;dr: Tried to play Fiasco, ended up LARPing it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ted_Haggard posted:

tl;dr: Tried to play Fiasco, ended up LARPing it.
Jesus. I feel bad for you, but really loving bad for her boyfriend. I hope you never plan on contacting this guy again.

powerful lizard
Jan 28, 2009

Colon V posted:

Jesus. I feel bad for you, but really loving bad for her boyfriend. I hope you never plan on contacting this guy again.

I don't. That's kinda a friendship-breaker. Why the boyfriend, though, other than that he's on a pretty goddamn self destructive life path. I feel bad for his girlfriend, who's the one who got me out of the house and had to bear his wrath when he got home (although I don't know what he did or didn't do).

powerful lizard fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 26, 2012

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.
So wait, why did you owe him $80 or did he literally just browbeat you for that money? I didn't see anything in your post that implies he was entitled to anything. I hope that guy ends up working at Walmart for 20 years as a sales associate.

In relation to DivineCoffeeBinge's epic star wars campaign. Reading those posts got me interested in the Star Wars Saga myself and got with a couple of my friends and started a campaign that starts roughly 2 or 3 years after the Rise of the Empire.

While we all rolled fairly well rounded characters, we role played(whether by choice or by accident) our characters to be as ineffective and as stupid as possible resulting in nearly 4 total party wipe-outs in the first 7 hours of the campaign. The only things that kept us alive was my religious use of Force Points, dumb luck in the form of only passing the one save that won't completely screw us over, and the GM's decision to make two NPCs to cover our weaknesses(There were plenty).

I will probably write something up, but after I get all the facts straight so I don't sound like a complete idiot at Star Wars.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ted_Haggard posted:

I don't. That's kinda a friendship-breaker. Why the boyfriend, though, other than that he's on a pretty goddamn self destructive life path. I feel bad for his girlfriend, who's the one who got me out of the house and had to bear his wrath when he got home (although I don't know what he did or didn't do).
I meant to say "his girlfriend", but got mixed up somehow. :v:

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
So I've played a number of games over the years, and I figured I should start digging some experiences for this thread. Hope these are entertaining enough.

My usual real-life RPG crew's longest-running game used a heavily modified Rolemaster system. Those critical tables led to some interesting stories, if only I could remember them all.

Anyway, here is the cast.
The GM. A real champ, and capable of dealing with any bullshit we threw at him. Well prepared, good at improvisation. Not nearly as fun as a player, I'm sorry to say.
The Wizard. You know the old saying about hammers and everything looking like nails? Well, the wizard had three hammers: Flying, teleportation and fiery explosions.
The Bandit. The player looooved Rolemaster for its charts and tables and such, and he's just a huge math geek in general. Often ended up knowing the system better than the GM, despite them being the GM's books.
The Priest, played by me. My early spells weren't terribly great, my combat skills were poor, and we usually adventured in a superstitious backwood where all magic was taboo. Ouch. Not being a combat beast like the other characters, the priest managed to pull his weight by being charismatic and a voice of (admittedly somewhat sociopathic) reason.

We were sort of supposed to deal with this powerful mystical ruby.
What we actually ended up doing:
Used the generous reward money we received from a king to essentially start our own miniature country.
Bought ridiculously expensive crystal balls for instant communication.
Hired the best workers we could find to start building houses, roads and other infrastructure (far better quality than most other cities in the kingdom).
Hired the best teachers to educate the children of the workers.
Made deals with everybody, even several countries openly at war with each other. This lead to some awkward situations.
When the campaign ended, we were turning the nearby magic forest into logs and arming our own military with mass-produced crossbows.

Our liberal interpretation of the rules turned what was intended to be a grueling multi-session siege into an exercise in magic bombing runs. Wizard used flight and various fire spells to turn the invading orc army into the saddest barbecue party.

One time, we were using Wizard's magic (specifically light and flight) to convince superstitious peasants that she was actually a god. It wasn't working out too good so Priest decided to impress them with a public speech (using the Speech skill that I had been pumping my spare points into). It worked out okay, except that the guard shot him in the liver with a critical.
You have to understand, the healing system in Rolemaster is about as simple and fun as filling your tax report. So it wasn't simply a matter of downing a healing potion or casting a generic healing spell. Oh no, you'd have to find a proper healer with the proper spells or medicines for the wound... or, if you're in our game, quite literally stuff the Priest's throat with all the herbs you found at the local horse doctor's place. My character survived to see another day (and get shot in the liver again on two later occasions).

While the Wizard was in a coma (due to the player being unable to attend), Bandit and Priest were the guests of a powerful figure who didn't actually like us that much. I'm sure he liked us even more when he saw the room service bill that we sent him. Like half of the session was spent on us just going through everything we wanted to order). Included on that list were:
A heavy crossbow
Lots and lots of caltrops (Bandit loved caltrops and tried to involve them in every situation)
Several lobsters
Entire barrels of wine
A personal servant
About twelve other items

If I remember correctly, we had to make a daring escape before the night was done. We never got to enjoy some of those items.

Then there's some online games I've taken part in. I'm probably going to go over them in chronological order unless there's interest in some specific one. There's others as well, but these are ones I can recall from the top of my head.

Star Wars Saga: Dissing beats lightsabers.
Aberrant: That time I played psychic Colonel Sanders.
DnD 4e: Roy Orbison got pimp-slapped by Satan and other stories.
DnD 4e, part deux: Bardy McFly vs hobo zombie Magneto and other stories.
PDQ #: A mute gunman and his talking parrot, and Chuck D. Head (yes, that one). They fight crime.
ICONS: How I accidentally cannonballed into aztec hell and other stories.

Suleman fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 28, 2012

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Can you revise without smilies? They're kind of :2006:.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Golden Bee posted:

Can you revise without smilies? They're kind of :2006:.

Awww. Fine. I thought they made it easier to read.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

I personally prefer smilies to letters or even names in these kinds of stories, otherwise I have a lot of trouble figuring out who is who.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Smilies... the healing surge of this thread.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Smilies are completely unrealistic MMO garbage. Ever hear of someone saying "Colon Closing Parenthesis" in real life? Didn't think so.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yeah, smilies make some stories easier to read. i enjoy 'em.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Suleman posted:

Then there's some online games I've taken part in. I'm probably going to go over them in chronological order unless there's interest in some specific one. There's others as well, but these are ones I can recall from the top of my head.

Star Wars Saga: Dissing beats lightsabers.
Aberrant: That time I played psychic Colonel Sanders.
DnD 4e: Roy Orbison got pimp-slapped by Satan and other stories.
DnD 4e, part deux: Bardy McFly vs hobo zombie Magneto and other stories.
PDQ #: A mute gunman and his talking parrot, and Chuck D. Head (yes, that one). They fight crime.
ICONS: How I accidentally cannonballed into aztec hell and other stories.
Star Wars Saga, I wanna hear some sick burns. Seconding the dropping of the emoticons though.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Random Number posted:

Star Wars Saga, I wanna hear some sick burns. Seconding the dropping of the emoticons though.

Righto. I don't remember a whole lot of all these games, unfortunately, but I do remember some stuff my own character did. The GM and at least some of the players are actually goons, so they can probably fill in their own experiences if they want to. Here's hoping they amuse someone.

Star Wars Saga:
I was playing Xhee Nangan, a quarren (tentacle-faced alien, think :zoid:) mechanic, who was also a snarky drug-addict.
Xhee wasn't terribly optimized for combat, but he had three major advantages: He was really good with mechanics and piloting, he was incredibly tough, and he rolled rather well in social skill checks.
So what tended to happen in combat situations was that Xhee would spend his time shooting his carbine ineffectively and constantly dissing his opponents, whose furious attacks he would then absorb with his manly hit points. Sort of non-mechanical aggro management, if you will. This worked surprisingly well, even against jedi.

The party in this game was searching for an ancient techno-organic spaceship, on behalf of Morbei, their mysterious benefactor. This is all happening around the Old Republic time period. So we finally manage to find the ship, which is incredibly powerful and dangerous in the wrong hands. Turns out Morbei is a very wrong-handed person, as he reveals his new identity as Darth Mortuus and manages to capture us.

We actually have a plan, sort of. We have a macguffin, a holocron in this case, that the pilot, Sunree, can use to free us and attack Mortuus. Thing is, he's got us pinned pretty good, there's very little we can do. Mortuus is feeling pretty smug and has been taunting us with a classic sith attitude. Xhee, however, found a way to get under his skin and distract him. Mortuus's former life as Morbei is a sore spot for him, as Morbei was a good man, and therefore weak in the eyes of the sith. Here's how things went down:

quote:

Xhee_Nangan: "Morbei, Morbei, Morbei, Morbei... Like the sound of that, Morbei? It's the sound of your own pathetic weakness."
Sunree: "I'd've thought you'd be used to him by now."
TheGM: He grits his teeth. "My name is not Morbei, squid. That name is gone."
Xhee_Nangan: "You are not a 'mighty sith lord', Morbei. You are a child. A child playing with the toys of adults."
TheGM: "Shut UP!" he splays a hand out, sith lightning crackling from his hand
Xhee_Nangan is verily shocked
* Sunree places the holocron
TheGM: roll 4d6
TheGM rolls: 4d6 --: [ 4d6=12 ]{12}
Xhee_Nangan: That'd be the damage, no?
TheGM: His lack of concentration means it hurts, but nowhere near his full power.
TheGM: (You've also managed to make him use up his power, nice work ;))
Xhee_Nangan grits his teeth
TheGM: Sunree, the Holocron begins to hover on the pedestal and spin.
* Sunree takes a deep breath
TheGM: Blue light cascades from the polished jewel.
TheGM: Suddenly, there is a blinding flash, and Mortuus is sent flying, slamming into the nearest wall.
TheGM: The group drops from the wall as Xelnaran's Force ghost steps out of the reactor.
TheGM: "Go, now!"
Sunree: "Okay guys!"
TheGM: Initiative rolls, please
TheGM: You get a surprise round.
Sunree: roll d20+5
Pazaak: Sunree rolls: d20+5 --: [ 1d20=16 ]{21}
Xhee_Nangan: "Th-th-th-th-this plan of y-yours, Morbei? Take a rotten narc and a few mercenaries and send them running across the galaxy? You couldn't plot a minor heist."

Xhee also had an slightly antagonistic relationship with another party member, an old and tired cathar jedi named Krusurta. Xhee called him "hairball" and so on, and Krusurta called Xhee "Fish". Lots of fun.

quote:

Krusurta: "Rrrra Shut up, or i'll bite yourrr head off, Fish." A momentary flare of anger lights up in the Cathar's eyes before returning to calm indifference.
Xhee_Nangan: "I'm filled to the brim with the cheapest and nastiest drug salts I could find, hairball. I'm food poisoning on legs!"

Xhee actually had a relatively tragic backstory, which led to this exchange:

quote:

Krusurta: Can Krusurta see the pain in his eyes?
Xhee_Nangan: You look deeply in his eyes. You aren't quite sure, but... yeah, he looks like a fish.
Xhee_Nangan: Now, if you were a quarren... Nah, just blood-shot.

Also, just this exchange.

quote:

Suleman: Or perhaps a sith whose name is so embarassing that he doesn't want to say it.
The_GM: Darth Not-Really-All-That-Good-Actually
Suleman: Bravely brave Darth Robin flew forth from Korriban
Suleman: Darth Pissoffihaveaheadache
The_GM: Darth Whatchootalkingboutwillis
Suleman: Darth Complainsofnames
The_GM: Darth Bigears
The_GM: Darth Woobie
The_GM: Darth Fuzzywumpkins

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.

Suleman posted:

Suleman: Or perhaps a sith whose name is so embarassing that he doesn't want to say it.
The_GM: Darth Not-Really-All-That-Good-Actually
Suleman: Bravely brave Darth Robin flew forth from Korriban
Suleman: Darth Pissoffihaveaheadache
The_GM: Darth Whatchootalkingboutwillis
Suleman: Darth Complainsofnames
The_GM: Darth Bigears
The_GM: Darth Woobie
The_GM: Darth Fuzzywumpkins
Sounds like what happened when I was debating getting into the Star Wars MMO. I was throwing out goofy Sith names along with a couple friends who were also thinking about it. Ended up with Darth Entaksis, Darth Meat, and a few others that slip my mind at the moment.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Kobold posted:

Sounds like what happened when I was debating getting into the Star Wars MMO. I was throwing out goofy Sith names along with a couple friends who were also thinking about it. Ended up with Darth Entaksis, Darth Meat, and a few others that slip my mind at the moment.
Can I be Darth Darth? you get TWO Darths for the price of one Sith! Whooooooo!

Oh wait I don't play Old Republic.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Section Z posted:

Can I be Darth Darth? you get TWO Darths for the price of one Sith! Whooooooo!

Oh wait I don't play Old Republic.

You should be Darth Htrad.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Can I be Darth Fuddy Duddy?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Darth Grandpa.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.
Remembered another one. Darth Brooks. Never did actually play the game, but I don't feel I missed out on too much.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
I once knew a Darth Panhandler. He promised that I could be his apprentice, if I helped him with the last .25 credits he needed for the Coruscant bus where he would achieve his destiny. I declined in favor of some skittles from a machine.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
Oh hey, I do actually have some terrible RPG experiences as well. Like, say, the very first time I played 4e.

DnD 4e: Half-assed homebrewing
Now, this was back when 4e was really new. I don't even remember if it was before or after the actual release. The DM might have been using the leaked books. Anyway, this meant that no one knew the rules, the metagame or the mechanics. The DM thought this was the perfect time and opportunity to homebrew a modern paranormal campaign, with guns. Potentially a cool idea, if done competently. Not this time, oh no.

The guns, of course, were better than any of the regular weapons, because verisimilitude. Without, you know, adjusting the powers or the mechanics in any way, so basically only a ranger or a rogue could even take advantage of the guns. They were so unbalanced that my admittedly terribly optimized tiefling warlord (with 14 strength and 18 in charisma and intelligence, I think) was just better off using guns with basic ranged attacks instead of his melee powers.

For reference, here are all of the custom items for that campaign. We were 1st level, and had 5000 dollars to buy stuff with. I don't quite remember what the custom properties actually did, but they were not balanced and made certain powers entirely redundant. Also note the bullet-proof armors that make over half of the enemies utterly nonthreatening.

quote:

General store

Armor/protective
Light leather jacket +1 ac, cost 80 dollars, Special (can be worn over other armor)
Heavy Leather Jacket +2 ac, cost 300 dollars, Special (can be worn over other armor)
Studded leather: +50 to cost, +1 ac
Tactical vest: ac+2 check -1. Cost 30 dollars,
Bullet proof vest light: ac +4 check -1. 500 dollars: 50% resistant bullet
STRIKE tactical vest: Ac+6 check -1 800 dollars: 50% resistant bullet
Heavy vest: Ac+9 check -2 1200 dollars: 50% resistant bullet
SWAT armor: AC+11 check -2 3000 dollars: 50% resistant bullet
Full body armor: Ac+14 Check -3 5000 dollars 50% resistant bullet
Kevlar jumper: AC+4 Check -1: 8000 dollars: 50% resistant bullet, can be worn under other armor
Shark suit: AC+1 check -2: 25000 dollars: 50% resistant all damage.
Bracer sheild: ac+1 cost 60.
Police sheild: AC+2 cost 200 check -2
SWAT Sheild: AC +4 cost 600 check -4 Special: cover

Weapons
One handed simple

Brass knucles: Prof +2 (unarmed) cost 40 unarmed: adds+2 to unarmed attack
Billyclub: Prof+2 1d6 mace. Price 50
Knife (kitchen) prof+1 1d4 light blade (range 5/10) price 5, off handed thrown
Dagger: prof +3 1d4 light blade (range 5/10) price 30, off handed thrown
Combat Knife: Prof+3 1d6 light blade (range 5) price 60.
Switch blade: Prof+2 1d4 light blade. Price 50. +3 to conceal rolls
Mace: special. Dex vs fort. Range 1. Blinds and dazes (save ends) 10 sprays
Slap jack: prof +2 1d4 mace price 5 (nonlethal)
chain: prof +2 1d8 flail price 50. +2 to disarm/trip
wrench: prof+1 1d6 mace price 30. off hand
Pipe/crowbar: Prof+2 mace price 30 versatile
Sickle: Prof +2 1d6 price, 40 off hand
Hammer: prof +2 1d6 price 20 hammer, off hand, heavy thrown

Two handed simple
Bat wood: +2 2d4, price 30. Mace
Bat metal: prof +2 1d10, price 60 mace
Quarter staff: prof +2 price 5 staff
Scythe: Prof +2 2d4 price 20 heavy blade. High crit
Pick: +2 1d8, price 30, pick. high crit, versatile

Martial one handed
axe: prof +2 damage 1d10 price 70, axe, versatile.
Hatchet: prof +2 1d6, price 50 axe: off hand, heavy thrown
Short sword: prof +3 1d6 price 120 light blade off hand
Long sword: Prof +3 1d8 price 500, heavy blade. versatile
Scimitar: prof +2 1d8 price 500 heavy blade: high crit
flail +2 1d10 price 400 flail: versatile
bull whip: prof +2 1d6 price 80 flail: Reach, +1 to trip.

Martial two handed
Sledge hammer: +2 1d10 price 50. Hammer: versatile
glaive: prof +2 2d4 price 300. heavy blade pole arm: reach
falchion +3 2d4 price 400 heavy blade: High crit
Great swor: +3 1d10, price 600: heavy blade
Maul: +2 2d6 price 600: hammer.
Katana +4 1d10, price 1200: high crit
bastard sword: +3 1d10 price 1000: versatile
spiked chain: +3 2d4, price 100, group flail: reach

Gun shop
Typical weapon examples.

Side arms: generally deal 1d12. Proficiency grants+2. range is 20/40: cost 200
Rifles: between o 2d12. Proficiency +3 Range i 40/80. Slow Fire. Awkward Aim. cost 2500
Assault rifles: 2d8 Proficiency grants +4. Ranged 40/80. Burst Fire, Awkward aim. Cost 2000
automatic rifles/machine guns: 1d12: proficiency grants +1. Range is 30/60. full auto. awkward aim: 4000
Uzi and related: 1d12: Bust fire, 20/40 Full auto. 500
Shot gun: 2d6: 15/30Awkward Aim, Buckshot, slow fire: 500
Sawed off Shot gun: 5/10 1d8, buckshot, Slow fire: 800
Shot gun loaded with slugs: 15/30 3d6 Awkward aim, Slow Fire

Boom store

Hand grenades: 4d6 5 square blast DEX vs REF: Cost 500 per
small fire work: 1d6: Dex vs Ref cost 200 per
flash grenade: 10 square blast dex vs ref: (blinded, save ends) cost 300 per
smoke grenades: fills room with smoke lowering visability: 200 per
Rocket launcher: 6d6: 10 square blast: dex vs ref. cost 1,000,000
Rockets: cost 800 each.

hand gun ammo: reload=10 dollars
Shot gun: reload=20
slug=20 each
rifle reload=20
machine gun reload=80

Now, I know some players who have played in the DM's campaigns who can testify that he's actually not that great a DM and railroads like gently caress, but I only played in two sessions of this game, and they seemed okay. If they want to, they can come here and tell their own drat stories.

Suleman fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jul 29, 2012

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.
I have a new story!

Just got done GMing a new session of IRC Eclipse Phase. It's my first time with this group as GM but I've played with them before. Still, a chance to do IRC stuff means I can be a bit more flowery/serious than I am with my usual group.

Here's the quick skinny on the setting: A group of around 60,000 transhumans traveled to a distant, terrestrial world (known as Verge) about 30 years ago. On arrival, most of their stuff got trashed and now they're stuck on a metal-poor world without any contact with the solar system. The metal deficiency means that technology based on metal (read: most of it) costs a lot more and, as such, bioware and similar tech is in high circulation. Metal is so rare that the standard form of currency is the bule, which is literally a railgun slug (since it has to have a known and easily measurable composition).

Also, there's giant bugs.

As a result, it's basically The Wild West, but with giant bugs and railguns. Also, drunk, intelligent crows.

The characters are Ferric (a steel magnate), Kynes (a ranger), Pietar (an outlaw), Miles (a sheriff), and Sampson (a drunk). They've all been called to the town of Fortune by a mysterious figure known as No-Man, who has offered them wealth beyond the dreams of avarice. When they arrive at a saloon called the Silver Harlot, they are met by a man named Polyphemus, who constantly wears two eyepatches.

Polyphemus explains that he's called them together because of a combination of their unique sets of skills and motivations to use them in pursuit of what he has to offer: The Long Journey. The Long Journey is a cargo capsule, thought lost, from their ship, which contains massive amounts of precious metals, autonomous digging machines, industrial cornucopia machines, and a small army of synthetic morphs and robots, a cargo worth literally tens of millions of bule.

There's only one catch: Polyphemus has no interest in the treasure but someone else does; Ironsides Ivan, a ruthless former Russian mobster, now one of the biggest crime bosses on Verge. He's willing to give them the map, so long as they make sure he doesn't get it.

Sound interesting? Well, it was all a rather serious and intriguing Western yarn thus far, to the point you could've heard The Ecstasy of Gold start playing from everyone's reaction to finding out what was in The Long Journey. They retire from their meeting to Miles' office to plan out their journey to the western coast, to try and beat Ivan to the treasure.

Now it gets silly.

Kynes sits in a chair. Sampson, the drunken uplifted crow, hops onto the back of the chair. Sampson is about the size of a five year old child so, for a lark, I ask them to roll to keep their balance. I was expecting them to fall out their chair and what-not. Except Kynes rolls a critical failure.

So she rolls out of her chair..

And keeps rolling...

And rolling...

And rolling...

Until she rolls right out the door and ends up in the middle of the street outside, where she is nearly trampled by a horse.

Suffice to say, I am looking forward to seeing how this game turns out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Axelgear posted:

Suffice to say, I am looking forward to seeing how this game turns out.
That is actually really drat cool.

So, what's actually going on with this not-Mother lode? :allears: