Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
That rear end in a top hat on Kenji's team makes Yassan and the "Big brother" guy looks like cuddly angels by comparison man motherfuck that guy! :argh:

Also I'm pretty sure the old guy breaking the clock was a task assigned to him when JAXA passed him his new glasses. I'm not sure why the rest of the team wouldn't suspect this as an option; but then again, I just got done with another show, with another astronaut test, that had a similar kind of test, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Don't really have much to add, except to reiterate how much I enjoy watching this show every week.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Ka-pe! made a comeback!

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Jesus Christ. 10 highly intelligent people--including one who solves a Rubix Cube for relaxation--can't figure out that you solve a puzzle quickly by starting with the goddamn edges. :argh:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I also liked how they were picking the pieces up and trying to fit them together in mid-air, maybe Japanese people don't do jigsaw puzzles.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

Jesus Christ. 10 highly intelligent people--including one who solves a Rubix Cube for relaxation--can't figure out that you solve a puzzle quickly by starting with the goddamn edges. :argh:

Right? When Nanba/narrator was like, "We'll have to try every single piece." I nearly poo poo a brick. Why would you ever reduce an entire task to trial and error?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I'm more interested in the alarm that's going to destroy Team B (it's team B right?).

Valsu
Jan 2, 2006

Great episode, but their puzzle solving abilities pissed me off so much. Start with the edges and you can eliminate a good 40-50 pieces from the pile.
I want to know what the third team is up to. If team A has the clock that Fukuda broke, and team B has the alarm, what is team C's trial?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

PaganGoatPants posted:

I'm more interested in the alarm that's going to destroy Team B (it's team B right?).

Yeah, it's team B. The only person who seemed to be at all good at puzzles was Nanba's friend in Team B. I knew I liked that guy.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Valsu posted:

Great episode, but their puzzle solving abilities pissed me off so much. Start with the edges and you can eliminate a good 40-50 pieces from the pile.
I want to know what the third team is up to. If team A has the clock that Fukuda broke, and team B has the alarm, what is team C's trial?

Existing without a main character in their ranks.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
That guy on team B making all the comments about astronauts with familys is an rear end in a top hat.
And seriously loving paranoid, too, to such an extent that I'm astonished he made it this far...

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

The_White_Crane posted:

That guy on team B making all the comments about astronauts with familys is an rear end in a top hat.
And seriously loving paranoid, too, to such an extent that I'm astonished he made it this far...

Being that paranoid is a good thing. It means you think you're important enough for others to want to sabotage your chances, which is better than thinking you're not important enough, like Nanba was doing in the first several episodes. And if anyone is trying to sabotage your chances, you'll definitely stop them from succeeding, because you're stopping every single attempt against you even if they don't exist.

sure as hell won't make you any friends though. And I'm still convinced 2/5ths of every team is a plant.

Good_Haro
Mar 14, 2009

Noted shitposter.

Vincent Valentine posted:

I'm still convinced 2/5ths of every team is a plant.

Yeah I keep going back to that, but it seems too simple and the whole flashbacks/internal monologue argument still seems relevant, unless they've been messing with us and there's more to said backstories/etc than meets the eye.

Though I don't really know why everyone's first assumption wouldn't be "JAXA is messing with us" whenever something weird happens. If Mutta hadn't witnessed the tampering it ultimately wouldn't have even mattered who broke the clock, just that they have to come up with a solution for the broken clock.

I'm wondering if the alarm issue in team B might actually be one of the members thinking ahead about that kind of scenario as an alternate timekeeping mechanism (I'm guessing the alarm isn't a proper clock alarm and is just the sort of thing that can be set in intervals).

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Good_Haro posted:

Yeah I keep going back to that, but it seems too simple and the whole flashbacks/internal monologue argument still seems relevant, unless they've been messing with us and there's more to said backstories/etc than meets the eye.

Though I don't really know why everyone's first assumption wouldn't be "JAXA is messing with us" whenever something weird happens. If Mutta hadn't witnessed the tampering it ultimately wouldn't have even mattered who broke the clock, just that they have to come up with a solution for the broken clock.

I'm wondering if the alarm issue in team B might actually be one of the members thinking ahead about that kind of scenario as an alternate timekeeping mechanism (I'm guessing the alarm isn't a proper clock alarm and is just the sort of thing that can be set in intervals).

People can still have previous jobs before becoming a plant at Jaxa. Not only is it extremely likely you have had jobs prior to working in the space industry, it makes your plant more believable as they don't have to make things up on the spot. Internal monologues for plants seems like it's more to trick us, the viewers, into believing them.

And if that's the case, "Jaxa is messing with us" should be the first response, even if it's Furuya who carries out jaxa's orders.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I was expecting quiet rubix cube guy to be an autistic savant or something and solve the jigsaw puzzle in about 3 minutes. He seemed to be struggling just as much as the rest of them though.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I just noticed that the "sun" in the new opening is Hibito's hair.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

This show features the most underwhelming space photos.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Back to the plant speculation I think, that for sure two of the guys on each team are given instructions to do stuff.

This weeks space photo is Moscow if anyone's wondering. The Russian flag is admittedly hard to see but I know that cannon.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Raenir Salazar posted:

Back to the plant speculation I think, that for sure two of the guys on each team are given instructions to do stuff.

This weeks space photo is Moscow if anyone's wondering. The Russian flag is admittedly hard to see but I know that cannon.

But keep in mind, they could be getting fed these instructions with the impression that cooperating will help their chances of getting picked.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Mr. Fowl posted:

But keep in mind, they could be getting fed these instructions with the impression that cooperating will help their chances of getting picked.

Yep, and it's probably happening during the "doctor visit"

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Rexides posted:

Yep, and it's probably happening during the "doctor visit"

Or when they got the puzzle they got the alarm beeper thing.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I don't think so. The doctor check-ups are way more private, and allow confidential communication to go through. Also, notice how chimp dude was totally fine with the clock getting busted after his check-up. He is the new plant, and understood that the clock was the work of the last one.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I had a gigantic grin on my face the entire time while watching episode 17. The only thing that I thought was a little silly was how the 'Green Card' thing was supposedly a huge revelation. It's easily the most logical explanation for all that's happened, and so practically everyone should have realised it.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
drat you JAXA!! :argh:

New ED has really grown on me. I love it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I did expect the whole alarm thing to be more about 'Hey, there's this weird noise in a space capsule, maybe we should find out what's causing it in case it's something bad.' than just trying to sow discord.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Is this week's space photo of the three astronauts that died in the chute malfunction? That's pretty chilling if it is the case.

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

Your one and only, scorching laser light

paragon1 posted:

drat you JAXA!! :argh:

Oh god those last few minutes were absolutely great. I can't decide what was better, Mutta's magical handshake with Serika or Serika and Hoshika's reactions to "drat YOU JAXA".

I can't wait to find out what Mutta's green card is. I bet it's something incredibly goofy.

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

pandaK posted:

Is this week's space photo of the three astronauts that died in the chute malfunction? That's pretty chilling if it is the case.
No, that accident is fictional. Soyuz 1 ended in a similar parachute failure resulting in the crew (of one) perishing. Story goes he was not particularly cool and collected about it.

The picture is the crew of currently embarked Soyuz TMA-04M.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sorry Corals posted:

No, that accident is fictional. Soyuz 1 ended in a similar parachute failure resulting in the crew (of one) perishing. Story goes he was not particularly cool and collected about it.

The picture is the crew of currently embarked Soyuz TMA-04M.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2011/05/02/134597833/cosmonaut-crashed-into-earth-crying-in-rage

Sad story really.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Oh my God that picture of the casket with the charred remains :smith::barf:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Just caught up on the last 5 episodes, and all I can say is Mutta is still a fantastic protagonist :allears:

Also I don't like the new OP song but that loving dance makes up for it completely.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

New Episode:

I'm sure we all know by this point that Mutta is going to space. He's the protagonist, after all. But it makes me sort of wonder what's going to happen to everyone else on team A as a whole. They all seem to get along really well as friends. With this episode, it's pretty clear Team B is going to go their separate ways after the exam but not so much with Team A

I wonder if we'll see what happens to the ones who don't make the cut as the series goes on.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
This episode really had me rooting for Kenji hord. It's weird too, because he's kind of an overachieving winner and that can be pretty annoying, but between his rationale, the way he handles conflict, and his general personable nature (NO ONE WHO IS FRIENDS WITH MUCCHAN CAN BE A BAD PERSON :argh:) he's gone from being "that Phoenix Wright looking dude" to "one cool supporting cast member."

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man, I love this show.

I'll admit to tearing up a bit when Makabe realised what 'ka-pei' meant.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Goddamn if this episode doesn't make me like Kenji. That whole thing at the start makes him look awesome.

Mutta does a good Michael Jackson and Bruce Lee.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Sakurazuka posted:

Man, I love this show.

I'll admit to tearing up a bit when Makabe realised what 'ka-pei' meant.

That was such a great moment. This episode definitely warmed me up to Kenji as well.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

The Black Stones posted:

That was such a great moment. This episode definitely warmed me up to Kenji as well.

I already liked Kenji. I really hope he gets to go to space. However, I wasn't all that thrilled with the translation Crunchyroll did. Doesn't it mean do your best or try hardest? or something like that? Not good luck?

I don't understand what the guy meant when he said that the decision for who would be an astronaut was going to be made in just one day. Seems odd.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

The music that starts playing upon Makabe's realization is one of the best tracks ever.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Dan7el posted:

I already liked Kenji. I really hope he gets to go to space. However, I wasn't all that thrilled with the translation Crunchyroll did. Doesn't it mean do your best or try hardest? or something like that? Not good luck?

がんばる【頑張る】 ローマ(ganbaru)
1 〔一生懸命に努力する〕 be tenacious; be persistent; keep at it; do not give ┌up [in] easily; give 《a job》 ┌one's all [everything one has got]; hold out; stick ┌to [at] it; 〔さかんに活動する〕 be full of ┌energy [pep, bounce].
▲がんばり抜く 〔がんばり通す〕 keep going [hold out] to the end; do not give ┌up [in] half way; stay the course
・がんばり抜いた者が勝ちだ. Victory goes to the person who can stay the course. | Endurance is rewarded. | If you keep fighting you get there in the end.
・がんばって原書を読了する read a book all the way through in the original language.
▲〔競技などで〕 がんばれ! Do your best. | Keep it up. | Don't give ┌up [in]. | Keep fighting. | *《口》 Hang in there!
・がんばれ, 日本! Keep fighting, Japan! | Show them what you're made of, Japan!
・あと 100 メートルだ, がんばれ! There's only another hundred meters; ┌keep it up [″go it]!
・〔スポーツの演技などで〕 いよいよ本番だね, がんばってね. Right, this is it; ┌Good luck [Do your best, Show them what you're made of]!
・「これから就職の面接です」「がんばれよ」 "I'm just going to a job interview."―"Good luck! | Do your best!"
・金メダルめざしてがんばります. I'll ┌do my best to get [go all out for] the gold.
・私はまだやめない, もう少しがんばってみる. I'm not giving in yet; I'll keep at it a little more.
・ほう, がんばってるね. I am impressed by ┌your perseverance [your tenacity, the way you're keeping at it]. __am に強勢を置く. | You are working hard! __are に強勢を置く.
・よくがんばったね. 〔競技の後〕 (勝ったとき) Great!; Well done! | (負けたとき) Bad luck, but ┌it was a good fight [you did your very best, you really tried].
・よくがんばったが, 負けは負けだ. You ┌did a good job [tried hard, put up a good fight], but defeat is defeat.
・いくらがんばってもあいつには追いつけない. However hard I try, I'll never ┌catch up [be able to keep up] with him. | It's no good; he'll always be better than me.
・最後までお掃除がんばった子にはごほうびだ. There'll be something for any of you who keep up the cleaning till you've finished.
・力一杯がんばれば合格できる. If you ┌really do your utmost [try your very hardest, put everything you have into it] you'll pass.
・もうこれ以上がんばれない, 疲れました. I can't keep on any longer [I've done all I can]. I'm exhausted. | I'm finished. There's no more fight in me.
・もうすぐテストだ, がんばらなくちゃ. The exams are right ahead. I must really ┌work [get down to it, put my back into it]. | The exams are imminent. I must work harder.
・もうすぐ山頂だ, みんな, がんばろう! Come on [Keep it up, Keep fighting, Don't let up now], everybody! We're nearly at the top.
・そんなにがんばらなくていいんだよ. There's no need to push yourself like that.
・この町では古くからの商店ががんばっている. The old shops in this area ┌are putting up a fight [aren't giving in easily].
・親父ががんばっていてなかなか息子に身上(しんしょう)を譲らない. The father is pretty tenacious. He isn't handing over the business to the son easily. | The old man's hanging ┌on hard [*《口》 in there] and he's pretty reluctant to let the son take over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Made sense, and the syllables made it work better than your alternatives.

• Locked thread