Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Sigh, it was time for a new avatar anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recursive
Jul 15, 2006

... but then again, who does?

Deadpool posted:

FYI, all seven seasons of The West Wing are now available free on Amazon Instant for Prime Members. Both SD and HD.

poo poo, I was gonna get some work done this week, but not now.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
It's the Francis Scott Key Key

Delightful Tonka Truck
Nov 20, 2004

Mackieman posted:

Sigh, it was time for a new avatar anyway.

It's Cotesworth-Haye.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Tinzen posted:

It's Cotesworth-Haye.

Well, poo poo. Oh well, it's about as obscure as one can get so I'm not terribly worried.

kissyboots13
Feb 16, 2010

WHY is this HAPPENING to me?!
I'm sorry! I was...I was thinking of this thing from...this thing that just happened...with the deficit!

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Allison Janney's got such an infectious laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7nBUrYqDwI

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

She never laughs again after becoming Chief of Staff

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Mu Zeta posted:

She never laughs again after becoming Chief of Staff

Nobody laughs after season 4 :smith:

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Nobody laughs after season 4 :smith:

Aaron Sorkin probably did :v:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Aaron Sorkin probably did :v:

:v::hf::v: While snorting mountains of cocaine.

Moist von Lipwig fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 28, 2012

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I'm a few episodes into Season 2. Just saw the gang and they finally gave a warm reception to Aimsley Haines. (Ainsley?)

Loving this show. Though I wonder if it wouldn't have benefited from a slightly reduced order each season. Also, young Peggy from Mad Men is so cute.

I want to read this thread more thoroughly, but I'm also worried about spoilers.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

escape artist posted:

Loving this show. Though I wonder if it wouldn't have benefited from a slightly reduced order each season. Also, young Peggy from Mad Men is so cute.
Yeah, watching this with a modern eye is hard - it is SO LONG. Topical to your avatar, I realized the following tonight. We're on my wife's first watch through, with 3 episodes remaining in season 3. We've watched sooo maaaany epiiiisodes - and we still have more West Wing left than all of The Wire. Sheesh. This is why I will never watch Star Trek: Voyager.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Voyager is just a bad show overall. I've seen every episode of Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, ST:TNG, DS9, and even Enterprise. Even I can't stand Voyager.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

escape artist posted:

I'm a few episodes into Season 2. Just saw the gang and they finally gave a warm reception to Aimsley Haines. (Ainsley?)

Ainsley: Mr. Tribbey? I'd like to do well on this, my first assignment. Any advice you could give me that might point me the way of success would be, by me, appreciated.

Tribbey: Well, not speaking in iambic pentameter might be a step in the right direction.

The West Wing is the best show.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Ainsley: Mr. Tribbey? I'd like to do well on this, my first assignment. Any advice you could give me that might point me the way of success would be, by me, appreciated.

Tribbey: Well, not speaking in iambic pentameter might be a step in the right direction.

The West Wing is the best show.
Oh no, I hate the lines like that. The lines when the characters are being hilariously overly-quick-witted and verbose, and Sorkin thinks he's they're giving a super smart verbal smackdown. There's probably about twenty of them sprinkled throughout the first four seasons. All I can hear when I watch those parts is Aaron Sorkin's fists sliding up and down his own penis.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Ainsley Hayes decimating the Equal Rights Amendment.

A new amendment we vote on declaring that I am equal under the law to a man, I am mortified to discover there's reason to believe I wasn't before. I am a citizen of this country, I am not a special subset in need of your protection. I do not have to have my rights handed down to me by a bunch of old, white, men. The same Article 14* that protects you, protects me, and I went to law school just to make sure.

Sold

E: and to be clear, the show doesn't necessary have to shape your opinion, my point is more that it presents a stance and *then backs it up*, which is what I love.

It also ignores any arguments to the contrary, such as those rights needed to be handed down by rich old white men because other rich old white men were able to exploit the loose language of the 14th as it stood to deny those rights to anyone that wasn't a white christian rich old man. Just look at the fights still going on today, because the ERA doesn't mention sexuality, it is currently legal to fire, deny housing, or any number of things because of the who you choose to love.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Hoops posted:

Oh no, I hate the lines like that. The lines when the characters are being hilariously overly-quick-witted and verbose, and Sorkin thinks he's they're giving a super smart verbal smackdown. There's probably about twenty of them sprinkled throughout the first four seasons. All I can hear when I watch those parts is Aaron Sorkin's fists sliding up and down his own penis.

Look at how wrong you are.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I think it is possible to enjoy Sorkin's dialogue while also realising that nobody in the world actually talks that way.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Just watching the episode where the astronauts are trapped up in the space station, and for how stupid the whole thing turns out, that episode does have a great moment: Charlie leaving Zoey's room late at night and running into the President in the hallway

Edit: I forgot that Baker throws hit hat into the ring at the Democratic convention

Kloaked00 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 28, 2012

Caufman
May 7, 2007

MrBling posted:

I think it is possible to enjoy Sorkin's dialogue while also realising that nobody in the world actually talks that way.

This is true, but I personally can't understand how the latter prevents the former. The real world is full of unclever moments. It also does not have perfectly arranged lighting, a whimsical soundtrack, and political problems that can be explained and fixed in 44 minute digests. Pointing out how stylized The West Wing is seems about as insightful as pointing out that Van Gogh's paintings don't look like the real world.

What's even more bizarrely criticized is the wit of the writing. Maybe my taste preferences do not have an upper bound for cleverness, but I have a hard time remembering any time I ever felt a work of art was being too smart. Sorkin's punchy writing fits so well with the fast-paced directing and ensemble cast. If he's jerking off while writing scripts, I'm okay with it because those scenes of intense wit give me braingasms myself. I'm skeptical that the show would have improved if the writing and directing were more cinema verite.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

I've watched the West Wing all the way through atleast 5 times. I've probably seen every episode of season 3 eight or nine times. The West Wing is my favourite television show ever and it's not even close. But it isn't perfect, and some of the lines steer too far into showing off instead of having a purpose and place in the scene. I adore 95% of the dialogue in the show, but that iambic pentameter line is just Sorkin high-fiving himself. He decided he wanted to include some reference to poetic metre in the dialogue, then wrote a line in that metre and then wrote the response. When the line makes you think "that was written because the writer wanted to talk about iambic pentameter" rather than "Ainsley is a bit flustered and Tribbey is really smart, these characters are awesome", then it's not successful. Bartlett says a ton of stuff that's too smart for its own good but it never takes me out of the show and makes me think about someone actually crafting the script.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I don't like the way Martin Sheen (or at least Jed Bartlet!) says "surplus"

This ruined the entire series for me. 1 star out of 5.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
I finally convinced my wife to watch this show with me and we just got through with season 1. The number one thing we're both excited about? Ding dong, Mandy's gone!

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Hoops posted:

I've watched the West Wing all the way through atleast 5 times. I've probably seen every episode of season 3 eight or nine times. The West Wing is my favourite television show ever and it's not even close. But it isn't perfect, and some of the lines steer too far into showing off instead of having a purpose and place in the scene. I adore 95% of the dialogue in the show, but that iambic pentameter line is just Sorkin high-fiving himself. He decided he wanted to include some reference to poetic metre in the dialogue, then wrote a line in that metre and then wrote the response. When the line makes you think "that was written because the writer wanted to talk about iambic pentameter" rather than "Ainsley is a bit flustered and Tribbey is really smart, these characters are awesome", then it's not successful. Bartlett says a ton of stuff that's too smart for its own good but it never takes me out of the show and makes me think about someone actually crafting the script.

Hey, guess what? When I watch that, I think "Ainsley is a bit flustered and Tribbey is really smart, these characters are awesome."

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
The acting sells it. It's much more obvious when the actors can't keep up with the material. Newsroom being a good example.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Hoops posted:

When the line makes you think "that was written because the writer wanted to talk about iambic pentameter" rather than "Ainsley is a bit flustered and Tribbey is really smart, these characters are awesome", then it's not successful.

That's a valid reaction and one that understandably would frustrate you when watching The West Wing, but don't use "you" when you mean "me" because I have never had that reaction. Not just while watching The West Wing. I've never felt that way ever, as best as I can remember. Even further, if I could remember those moments, I'd be ashamed of them as I am about other things I do not want to be a part of my identity.

I don't mind when writing is so witty that it draws attention to the writing process. Stories are artifices, but the realization does not kill the magic for me. The more I learn about TV/Film-making, the more I can't "unsee" certain things, but I'd go crazy if I let this ruin things for me. How I could I ever enjoy the things I love most if delving deeper into them made me appreciate them less?

The scenes in The West Wing are in fact trying to tell you more than just Ainsley is feeling X and Tribbey is Y. On top of other creative goals, The West Wing does go for a stylized, witty tone. Having Ainsley hyperventilate in iambic pentameter hit the bullseye for me. Going for wit is like showboating in sports. Of course it's going to draw attention to itself, but that's also its intention.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
For what its worth, I really enjoyed that iambic pentameter line. I'm only 1/3 of the way through Season 2, but there are lots of "Sorkin strokin' himself" moments, but frankly, that's part of the appeal of the show.

kissyboots13
Feb 16, 2010

WHY is this HAPPENING to me?!

CelestialScribe posted:

The acting sells it. It's much more obvious when the actors can't keep up with the material. Newsroom being a good example.

Watching Newsroom just makes me want to watch West Wing, and I think you just helped me figure out the reason why.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
To be fair though, Sorkin does have a very weird way of writing women.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Hey, guess what? When I watch that, I think "Ainsley is a bit flustered and Tribbey is really smart, these characters are awesome."
Okay, okay. I'm not attacking you for liking a line. I don't like it, I've given my reasons.

Caufman posted:

That's a valid reaction and one that understandably would frustrate you when watching The West Wing, but don't use "you" when you mean "me" because I have never had that reaction.
It's a really common linguistic device, its hypothetical, I don't mean "you" specifically and there's no implication that it does. Genuine question, is English your first language?

quote:

Even further, if I could remember those moments, I'd be ashamed of them as I am about other things I do not want to be a part of my identity.
What the gently caress?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I feel like Sorkins style works better for Sports Night, but maybe it's just because it is a comedy show and the actors can have a little more fun with how they deliver the lines.

edit: And Joshua Malina is a better socially akward nerd on Sports Night than on West Wing.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Is Sheen's awesome entrance in the pilot on youtube? I can't find it.

e: thanks fishmanpet

fuf fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 29, 2012

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8unqrdurxyg
Around 3:30 in he bursts in, but watch it all because it's awesome.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

It is awesome, but it has been slightly ruined for me by this thread because it was pointed out that Toby gets all indignant about the 10 commandments and the guy calling "honor thy father" the first commandment, and then gets the number wrong himself :negative: It's like the 5th (or the 4th? crazy religions can't decide on anything!!) but Toby says it's the 3rd

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah, I don't know why you wouldn't grab a bible or something while writing that if your characters are about to get super indignant about the numbers of the commandments.

Though is there any difference between the Jewish commandments and Christian? I doubt it, but you never know.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Hoops posted:

It's a really common linguistic device, its hypothetical, I don't mean "you" specifically and there's no implication that it does. Genuine question, is English your first language?

It's not, but English is the language I've used for the majority of my life. I'm more on a personal Macavoy-esque quest to kill the usage of the indefinite you, especially in places where opinions are shared. The indefinite you is barely fine when the topic is objective ("When you jump off a plane, you fall towards the Earth"), but why dodge ownership over a personal reaction? You watched the episode, you had the reaction, you put the feelings to words, and you shared them online. Why throw all that work away to the universal?

quote:

What the gently caress?

Don't even worry about it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I never felt Dule Hill (Charlie) could keep up with Sorkin's dialogue. He's much better and more convincing in Psych.

The cast of Sports Night could all pull it off though. I think I actually like Sports Night the most and will never forgive Netflix for editing the music.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I never felt Dule Hill (Charlie) could keep up with Sorkin's dialogue. He's much better and more convincing in Psych.
I think I know what you mean, but (and this may have been deliberate) for me it had the effect of reinforcing Charlie's character. He's totally insecure being around all these powerful intelligent people, so even though he's that smart himself his slight awkwardness and embarassment when speaking so verbosely fits how the character feels. Bradley Whitford throws out the dialogue like it's nothing because Josh is pretty arrogant and is totally comfortable being the smartest, funniest guy in the room. Charlie doesn't feel like he deserves to be there, and that slight discomfort comes through in his delivery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

FISHMANPET posted:

Though is there any difference between the Jewish commandments and Christian? I doubt it, but you never know.

Yes there is! In Judaism, the first commandment is just that God is, well, God and that he brought Moses out of Egypt. The second commandment is the prohibition on false idols. In many Christian traditions, these are combined into the first commandment with the tenth being split into the ninth and tenth (meaning that not coveting your neighbor's wife is the ninth and his (other) property the tenth). This makes "honor thy father" the fifth commandment in Judaism and the fourth commandment in Christianity.

So not only did Toby get it wrong by picking neither of the correct options, but he's closer to the Christians right after being upset about being called a "New York Jew"!

• Locked thread