Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.
Every time I post in this thread I feel like I am polluting it.

River level are at the lowest in 40-50 year so it was pretty awkward feeling taking these picture in the middle of one.

rouge (1 of 1)-5 by J-YG, on Flickr

rouge (1 of 1)-3 by J-YG, on Flickr

Help me save this picture I feel like there something wrong here and I can't fix it.

rouge (1 of 1)-2 by J-YG, on Flickr

rouge (1 of 1) by J-YG, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING
Every time I take a hike, no matter how early I wake up, I'm always shooting at or around noon. :|

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Here are some landscapes from my recent trip to Alaska:

Untitled by Myotomy, on Flickr

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Awesome, did you go all the way up the Dalton?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

vote_no posted:

Awesome, did you go all the way up the Dalton?

Yep! Deadhorse was a bit of a letdown, but I really shouldn't have let my imagination run wild with a town like that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Alaska is the best place in the world. :allears:

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd
Before I left England recently I was given a book by my old man called Waiting for the Light by David Noton. I have read the first couple of chapters and so far it's a great read with some stunning accompanying photographs of course. Noton talks a lot about how being behind the camera is only a small part of getting truly stunning shots, with the main focus on putting the hard-yards into locating the best setting for your subject and (as the title says) waiting for the right light. The way he writes makes you reflect more on the thinking process of a shot rather than concentrating on the final result. I would definitely recommend it to any aspiring landscape photogs.

http://www.amazon.com/Photography-Essentials-Waiting-For-Light/dp/0715328190

JuanChai fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 27, 2012

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

RangerScum posted:

Yep! Deadhorse was a bit of a letdown, but I really shouldn't have let my imagination run wild with a town like that.

I felt that way about Fairbanks. But then I headed south through the Alaska Range and changed my mind. My favorite part of Alaska is actually in Canada; I've never been anywhere that beats the Alaska Highway. It's a shame that you need so much time to do it, I really loved being up there:

Muncho Lake

Yukon

Alaska Range

Kluane

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

vote_no posted:

I felt that way about Fairbanks. But then I headed south through the Alaska Range and changed my mind. My favorite part of Alaska is actually in Canada; I've never been anywhere that beats the Alaska Highway. It's a shame that you need so much time to do it, I really loved being up there:

Muncho Lake

Yukon

Alaska Range

Kluane

I've gone up to Yukon the past 2 summers and have to agree. We were on a time crunch to get to Whitehorse when driving up there, so the only time we really got to stop for pictures was when the guy driving needed a quick 15 minute nap. The Alaska Highway between Fort Nelson and Liard Hot Springs is also one of the best driving roads in Canada.

Try going up the Dempster Highway if you ever go back to Yukon (you should, it's awesome)

Tombstone Territorial Park by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006
Went to this location to shoot star trails... had some cloud roll in unfortunately, but salvaged a decent sunset shot from it.

Gorokan by Aztatlan, on Flickr

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

RangerScum posted:

Here are some landscapes from my recent trip to Alaska:

Loving the whole set but this really stands out.

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006
Some from today:

Richmond Paulownia Plantation by Aztatlan, on Flickr

Long Jetty by Aztatlan, on Flickr

The Longest Jetty by Aztatlan, on Flickr

Interested to hear any thoughts about the composition of this last one. Not so sure I like it - but it was the only super long exposure shot I took that shoot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone here actually shot the Moulton barns? I'm going to be visitin GTNP in a couple weeks, and while on one hand I don't particularly care to shoot cliches, on the other it would be stupid to completely skip a famous site like that.

I'm just curious which barn is the "good" one to shoot.. google searches suggest they're functionally identical but maybe that's a misinterpretation.

Are the barns roped off or otherwise inaccessible at any times? Or is it completely unregulated?

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

xzzy posted:

Anyone here actually shot the Moulton barns? I'm going to be visitin GTNP in a couple weeks, and while on one hand I don't particularly care to shoot cliches, on the other it would be stupid to completely skip a famous site like that.

I'm just curious which barn is the "good" one to shoot.. google searches suggest they're functionally identical but maybe that's a misinterpretation.

Are the barns roped off or otherwise inaccessible at any times? Or is it completely unregulated?

The two famous barns are right down the road from each other - as in, one is visible from the other. It's very possible to get photos of each during a single sunrise. That being said, I think this one is the 'good' one - it caught the sunrise much better than the other when I was there (September) and had better surrounding stuff than the pointy-roofed one.

As far as I know, the barns are not inaccessible at any time, other than in the winter when the road is not maintained. I was there on a morning that was pretty overcast... apparently lots of photographers showed up, didn't like the light, and left. By the time I got there (a little past sunrise) there were only a few people and the weather drastically improved!

Gambl0r fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 31, 2012

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

xzzy posted:

I've been to the Tetons three of the past four years and will shoot one barn per sunrise, given that I'm not elsewhere in the park for sunrise.

Getting a unique framing on either barn is difficult. Most photographers will line up along the ditches--one runs east-west, the other north-south (the popular ditch). This is the Thomas Alma (south) Moulton Barn:

Then there's the John (north) Moulton Barn:

(Need to reprocess this one badly.)

Get there early to stake your claim. If you want to be in front of everyone, the only way you can do it is by being the first there to make that the status quo (especially at the north barn). However, the cliché shot for making the Tetons look big and grand behind the north Moulton barn is by shooting with a long lens from a turnout up the road. The previous shot was taken by parking in the normal parking area on Mormon Row and walking out into the sage between the barn and that turnout.

Light at sunrise in the Tetons is "nice" for awhile, but great for only about a minute. Tourists never show up for the great light, and typically not even for the nice light. Other cliché sunrise spots in GTNP: Oxbow Bend with Mount Moran, Snake River Overlook (gg Ansel Adams) and Schwabacher Landing. Jenny Lake is nice in the morning and is probably one of the least-shot morning locations in the park.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

Leviathor posted:

Get there early to stake your claim. If you want to be in front of everyone, the only way you can do it is by being the first there to make that the status quo (especially at the north barn).

When I shot the photo above, it was me, two other photographers (afterwards they told me about the crowd that had left due to crappy-looking weather), and two tourists in bright red jackets... the tourists decided it would be great to stand directly in front of the barn for the entire morning... I had to clone them out of each of my north barn shots. I kinda wished there had been a larger crowd of photographers since one of them would have probably chased the tourists out of the shot :D

Your barn shots are excellent, btw! I need to visit the Tetons again someday - I only drove through on my way to Yellowstone, but didn't spend any time there.

Leviathor posted:

Jenny Lake is nice in the morning and is probably one of the least-shot morning locations in the park.

Jenny Lake was amazing and well worth the detour.

Edit:

I FINALLY won an auction for a Singh-Ray Gold-N-Blue Cokin P filter on eBay. I've had that thing on my watch list for ~8 months and was outbid on every single one listed. They usually go for ~$170 used, but somehow I got this one for $102. I'm really hoping it gets delivered by friday so I can try it out this weekend.

Gambl0r fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 1, 2012

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
I went on a day trip to see some waterfalls. They ended up being a little underwhelming but I think the pools nearby ended up looking fantastic. I'd like to go back and get some early or late light... But it is what it is. Note the very small falls in the background are not the ones I went to see.

Pools near Indian Falls by sulakkalus, on Flickr

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Leviathor posted:

Getting a unique framing on either barn is difficult. Most photographers will line up along the ditches--one runs east-west, the other north-south (the popular ditch). This is the Thomas Alma (south) Moulton Barn:

[...]

Get there early to stake your claim. If you want to be in front of everyone, the only way you can do it is by being the first there to make that the status quo (especially at the north barn).

Looks like flickr has well beaten me, but the framing on that first shot is really excellent.

Was it you who posted the picture of all the photographers lined up for the same shot? The thought of that still makes me laugh; I always avoid the barns when I go to the Tetons. I never get anything as striking, but there are lots of lakes and reservoirs that get cool at sunset:

Jackson Lake

Also, while I don't have any pictures of my own, the Tetons from the other side (especially from Tetonia, ID) can look just as cool because you have a farmland foreground.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Gambl0r posted:

When I shot the photo above, it was me, two other photographers (afterwards they told me about the crowd that had left due to crappy-looking weather), and two tourists in bright red jackets... the tourists decided it would be great to stand directly in front of the barn for the entire morning... I had to clone them out of each of my north barn shots. I kinda wished there had been a larger crowd of photographers since one of them would have probably chased the tourists out of the shot :D

I typically visit the Tetons during fall colors, which brings out a lot of photogs, hence the 'get there early' tip. Pretty much every other time of year (like my first shot above) the competition for shooting spots is much lower.

If tourists are being retarded in front of an obvious attraction they deserve to be yelled at. I would have to have emf back me up on the particulars, but one sunset at Delicate Arch in Arches NP, UT, some bald idiot in a red jacket was walking around the base of the arch as the light was getting good. There must have been 60+ people there to watch the sunset/photograph--more than I'd ever seen out there before--all lined up around the rim of the formation. (If you've not been there before, Delicate Arch is basically across a rolling sandstone face from a ridge that can be approximated as "amphitheater seating.") This guy was being a complete ignoramus. I yelled something like, "HEY! MOOOVE!" And the guy did. I received an applause.

vote_no posted:

Looks like flickr has well beaten me, but the framing on that first shot is really excellent.

Was it you who posted the picture of all the photographers lined up for the same shot? The thought of that still makes me laugh; I always avoid the barns when I go to the Tetons.

Also, while I don't have any pictures of my own, the Tetons from the other side (especially from Tetonia, ID) can look just as cool because you have a farmland foreground.

Thanks!

I don't think I have a shot like that, but emf was using my camera and he might have taken that shot. I have one from Upper Antelope Canyon with photogs doing their thing to get the light pillar in the canyon.

And viewing the Tetons from the west is a good idea. If I recall, it takes about five hours to drive from GTNP to, say, Table Mountain, which is a hike I once started way too late in the day. However, I would still love to go do that hike one day, and get sunset shots of the Tetons from the southwest.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
I took a trip to the west coast and saw Echo Lake. I don't get out of the city much, these kinds of shots are a lot of fun for me.

DSC02160 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

DSC02157 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

DSC02154 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

DSC02153 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Finally scanned more from Iceland. Even more this weekend, I promise.

Untitled by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Jökulsárlón by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Oh my god this is awesome

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Perhaps not rocks made sexy, but it is something:

IMG_8418 by azathosk, on Flickr

IMG_8432 by azathosk, on Flickr

IMG_8456 by azathosk, on Flickr

IMG_8531 by azathosk, on Flickr

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Some more medium format landscapes:

Three Ships by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Bay by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Forest Cascade by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

B&W Waterfall by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Those are very nice, especially the first two. Do you have a darkroom setup available? I think printing would benefit the first one vs scanning quite a bit.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Starting to go through photos from a hiking trip last weekend.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable

FasterThanLight posted:

Those are very nice, especially the first two. Do you have a darkroom setup available? I think printing would benefit the first one vs scanning quite a bit.

Unfortunately not right now, the photography society at my uni has a darkroom I should be able to use next semester but for the summer I'm stuck with scanning. The scan on the first one was particularly bad but it was pretty late at night when I did it and didn't have the patience for a second try. I'll have another shot at it some time later today and try and come up with something a little better.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
This is definitely the best of the bunch.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Saint Fu posted:

This is definitely the best of the bunch.

Thanks. I really like the way the clouds look on it.

I went on a road trip down highway 5 to Santa Barbara. I took pictures out the window the whole way down.

DSC02299 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

DSC02297 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

DSC02291 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

DSC02281 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

DSC02264 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

DSC02302 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

emf
Aug 1, 2002

Leviathor posted:

If tourists are being retarded in front of an obvious attraction they deserve to be yelled at. I would have to have emf back me up on the particulars ... This guy was being a complete ignoramus. I yelled something like, "HEY! MOOOVE!" And the guy did. I received an applause.
Pretty much just like that! Magnifico!

Leviathor posted:

I don't think I have a shot like that, but emf was using my camera and he might have taken that shot.
I have a few shots from that twat's photo-tour group being all a bunch of twats. I'll have to see when I get back to Nodak if any are funny/interesting. The crowd photos at Mobius arch were better, but a 50mm on a crop was a bit too long for the confined space, even if the f/1.4 aperture was needed for the low light. Speaking of low light situations, that pic with your mouth full of hard black shaft turned out pretty well.

brandino
Apr 15, 2002

MrBlandAverage posted:

Finally scanned more from Iceland. Even more this weekend, I promise.

Untitled by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Love the colors in this one, great work man.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Went backpacking on Mt. Hood over the weekend, brought along the new 16-35mm to give it it's first landscape break-in. Ended up using it almost exclusively the whole time.

McNeil_206

McNeil_120

McNeil_129

McNeil_267

McNeil_214

McNeil_230

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Those are all delightful, that blue in the first two is just superb.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

storm by francography, on Flickr

malibu by francography, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
A few more from my hiking trip.

Crazy Armed Pilot
Mar 6, 2007
You can land anywhere once.
Took this last night. Was expecting a fiery red sunset on the clouds which turned into low clouds that didn't illuminate well. I did pull this out after the sun set. I have shots with the water tower in focus and with the grass in focus.

For me the water tower grabs your attention, but its out of focus which leads you down to the detail in the grass. I have no idea what I am talking about though. What do you guys think?

I really like the sky in this.

Crazy Armed Pilot fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 7, 2012

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
I've asked this question in the General Photography thread, but I figured this might be a better place to ask, sorry for the crossposting!

I'm planning a trip to Zion National Park later this year, and found this very excellent site:
http://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/angelslandingpix.cfm

I link to his description of the hike to Angels Landing, but there's loads of hikes all very well documented with pictures.

The dude is a photographer (I think), and I really like his vivid style. What's he doing to achieve this look? Bumping the clarity slider to the max?

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

Mathturbator posted:

I've asked this question in the General Photography thread, but I figured this might be a better place to ask, sorry for the crossposting!

I'm planning a trip to Zion National Park later this year, and found this very excellent site:
http://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/angelslandingpix.cfm

I link to his description of the hike to Angels Landing, but there's loads of hikes all very well documented with pictures.

The dude is a photographer (I think), and I really like his vivid style. What's he doing to achieve this look? Bumping the clarity slider to the max?

Nah, that doesn't look like a huge clarity boost to me (there is probably some, just not "slider to the right" as you suggested). Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I think he's bracketing exposures on a few of them. Definitely a saturation boost in there. The processing looks pretty tame to me, I don't think he's really doing that much.

Also, you might have better luck in the post-processing thread.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

Crazy Armed Pilot posted:

Took this last night. Was expecting a fiery red sunset on the clouds which turned into low clouds that didn't illuminate well. I did pull this out after the sun set. I have shots with the water tower in focus and with the grass in focus.

For me the water tower grabs your attention, but its out of focus which leads you down to the detail in the grass. I have no idea what I am talking about though. What do you guys think?

It's nice that you're thinking outside the box. I don't particularly like the execution on this one though. Kind of hurts my eyes to look at it, because even though it is out of focus, I still want to be looking at the water tower. The grass doesn't provide enough interest to compete with the tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

LargeHadron posted:

It's nice that you're thinking outside the box. I don't particularly like the execution on this one though. Kind of hurts my eyes to look at it, because even though it is out of focus, I still want to be looking at the water tower. The grass doesn't provide enough interest to compete with the tower.

I thought exactly the same thing, but in your quote it looks pretty good. Evidently it does really well as a thumbnail.