Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

toasterwarrior posted:

Holy poo poo, are Knights supposed to be human cannonballs in Stainless Steel 6.4? I've had spear infantry in guard mode, with shields and spears braced and everything, and a head-on charge still kills half of their unit despite them sitting in the ideal position for taking on a heavy cavalry assault.

Thankfully, bogging them down in more spears still works, but are charges supposed to be this powerful?

Been a while since I played but that sounds about right. Try absorbing the charge with peasants and then send in the spearmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

Holy poo poo, are Knights supposed to be human cannonballs in Stainless Steel 6.4? I've had spear infantry in guard mode, with shields and spears braced and everything, and a head-on charge still kills half of their unit despite them sitting in the ideal position for taking on a heavy cavalry assault.

Thankfully, bogging them down in more spears still works, but are charges supposed to be this powerful?

They are. Anything not behind a full-out pike wall or sharpened stakes WILL get hosed by a heavy cavalry charge with couched lances.

That's balanced by heavy cav being drat expensive and hard to replace in the campaign. Takes IIRC like ten turns for a castle to be ready to train the next batch of Feudal Knights.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

So what is the consensus on multiplayer balance in shogun 2? I've played like ~30 games and it feels pretty good to me.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Geisladisk posted:

So what is the consensus on multiplayer balance in shogun 2? I've played like ~30 games and it feels pretty good to me.

It's fairly good. Not perfect and in the past it has had some frankly laughable imbalances. It's good enough to be enjoyable on a fairly casual level. Don't get too competitive though.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Geisladisk posted:

Better now than it's been in the past, but stuff like this really kills my enthusiasm. There are a few traps new players can easily fall into with regards to unit veterancy and stuff as well and the Avatar system asks for a lot of time investment for unit upgrades.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

toasterwarrior posted:

Just a heads up, guard mode doesn't affect your units' combat ability, it just keeps them in one place so they won't pursue whatever unit they're attacking.

What faction are you playing as? Sometimes you can counter heavy cavalry with ranged mounted units, particularly spear-throwing ranged mounted units. Send them out at the enemy's flank right at the start of the battle and use them to plink away at their cavalry, and hopefully by the time they reach you they'll be decimated.

I have also noticed this strange phenomenon where light cavalry apparently works as a counter to heavy cavalry...sometimes. I've had my heavy cavalry be on the receiving end of charges from light cavalry and my guys get loving mangled to a degree that I don't see even when they're fighting other heavy cavalry. This'll happen even with general's bodyguards, it's really weird.

Alternatively you could play as the Crusader States and poo poo out buckets of really good (and low-upkeep, because they're a religious order) heavy cavalry every turn from your castles and core cities and then trample your enemies underfoot.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Spakstik posted:

Just a heads up, guard mode doesn't affect your units' combat ability, it just keeps them in one place so they won't pursue whatever unit they're attacking.

What faction are you playing as? Sometimes you can counter heavy cavalry with ranged mounted units, particularly spear-throwing ranged mounted units. Send them out at the enemy's flank right at the start of the battle and use them to plink away at their cavalry, and hopefully by the time they reach you they'll be decimated.

Going for an Italian Republic with Venice. I expected better from Italian militia since they were drat good infantry to base your army on in vanilla.

I could've sworn Guard Mode in M2TW made it so that your units would maintain a tighter formation and shield wall, which seemed would be better at resisting incoming charges.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jul 24, 2012

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Italian militia is still pretty good. It just won't beat knights in a unit-on-unit contest. Try using the militia to soak the charge (they are far more easily replacable than feudal type units), then countercharge with another unit. Alternatively, have your cav circle around and hit theirs in the rear while it's still mired in the militia or disengaging.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Oh yeah, I'm not expecting my spear militia to hard counter knights; I just got really surprised when the cavalry rolled over what's ostensibly the ideal counter to them in early game.

It's a really alarming sight to see your unit counter go from 101 to 50~ in a few seconds, and the red color and flashing numbers make it look like your guys are about to start a chain rout because the big, mean nobles have come out to play :shobon:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Will CA and SEGA ever put the first two games on GOG, or are they STEAM Work exclusives only now?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
What they really need to do is expand on the multiplayer campaign. Add the possibility for more players and for players to attack each other.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

MrOnBicycle posted:

What they really need to do is expand on the multiplayer campaign. Add the possibility for more players and for players to attack each other.

Balls to that, RTS multiplayer scenes live and die based on how easy and how long it takes to get into a game.

Give me the ability to create an army on the map in my deployment zone before the game starts (ala Wargame) and you'll save ages of faffing about in the pre-battle screen.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Will CA and SEGA ever put the first two games on GOG, or are they STEAM Work exclusives only now?

I bought Shogun Total War (the first) off some download site and it just plain doesn't work on modern computers. The battle map is all messed up. The campaign map works fine, though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Cantorsdust posted:

I bought Shogun Total War (the first) off some download site and it just plain doesn't work on modern computers. The battle map is all messed up. The campaign map works fine, though.

Yeah, I got the first Shogun 2 on a White Label Release a few years back and the BAI is non existant.

Would be nice if they could fix the old girls and bring them back into action once more.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Alchenar posted:

Balls to that, RTS multiplayer scenes live and die based on how easy and how long it takes to get into a game.

Give me the ability to create an army on the map in my deployment zone before the game starts (ala Wargame) and you'll save ages of faffing about in the pre-battle screen.

To play the coop campaign with my brother in Shogun 2 is pretty much the only reason I play Shogun 2. Singleplayer campaigns get boring after a while. But yes, that would be a good option for multiplayer battles.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

toasterwarrior posted:

I could've sworn Guard Mode in M2TW made it so that your units would maintain a tighter formation and shield wall, which seemed would be better at resisting incoming charges.
Maybe you were thinking of schiltrom?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Nah, schiltrom is the porcupine formation. On that note, I'd imagine planting mercenary spearmen in schiltrom formation ahead of your line would be an excellent way to distract and disrupt enemy melee while your ranged units pick them apart.

antoniomargareti
Jul 23, 2012
My experience would suggest not to put spearman in any formation at the front of any line, I understand your theory but it is really only good for a certain defence.

Archer unit at the front always, loose formation, thin line. You could chuck some cheap peasant as cannon fodder at the front but it doesn't matter if you lose them and they are great for defence against a charge of cavalry, whilst your archers shoot them with flame.

Horse archer still seem to be defensive challenge.

I play total war on steam too, I used to play since the first Rome total war. I was part of a clan called circle of ruins. We won the clan belt and the championship belt during the competition. We used to train new players up to a standard to compete online for titles. Our tag was cor.

Maybe I will see you around online, my steam username is hordeofcor.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah, I got the first Shogun 2 on a White Label Release a few years back and the BAI is non existant.

You got the what now? And I remember the BAI to be not that bad, it certainly made assaulting a river province a pain in the butt because it would line up its Army juuuuuust out of bow range and pin you into the bridgehead as soon as your first guy made it across.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

ArchangeI posted:

You got the what now? And I remember the BAI to be not that bad, it certainly made assaulting a river province a pain in the butt because it would line up its Army juuuuuust out of bow range and pin you into the bridgehead as soon as your first guy made it across.

Bridge Battles in these games have always been a cluster gently caress really when it comes to this.

Only in the recent ones they've added alternate ways to get across.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Creative Assembly put out yet another Shogun 2 unit DLC. Nine hero units, each one analagous to a standard infantry/cavalry unit.

Also: patch notes. Notably fixing the bug that let you rout entire armies by moving cavalry units through them.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Glad it wasn't dlc for fots. Gunz poo poo this game engine to bits. Getting burnt out in D3 maybe this dlc can get me back into shogun2

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Joink posted:

Glad it wasn't dlc for fots. Gunz poo poo this game engine to bits. Getting burnt out in D3 maybe this dlc can get me back into shogun2

FOTS might actually be the best one with gunz in it.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

SeanBeansShako posted:

FOTS might actually be the best one with gunz in it.

Your joking right? The amount of bugs that units had due to trying to shoot broke the games multiplayer. Ie units would spend more time moving into formation then shooting resulting in the first shot deciding who won. A unit would move into another units LoS but they wouldn't shoot. Often if 1 person in the unit wasn't in LoS, the entire unit wouldn't shoot. FOTS mulitplayer was terrible and wasn't nearly as good as the base Shogun2.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

MrOnBicycle posted:

They need to balance them first. Shogun 2 was a step in the right direction but it was completely broken because either you started near the trade routes (and had a 100% chance of winning) or you started anywhere else (and your chance was closer to 0%).

That said, I remember between the releases of Rome and Medieval 2 they essentially said that they would never ever ever release a multiplayer campaign game so I was pleased they even considered it. It's a shame they probably picked the worst map to do it on for the first time.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Llamadeus posted:

Creative Assembly put out yet another Shogun 2 unit DLC. Nine hero units, each one analagous to a standard infantry/cavalry unit.

Also: patch notes. Notably fixing the bug that let you rout entire armies by moving cavalry units through them.

quote:

Gozen’s Hime Heroines
Naginata Heroine
In the hands of a great heroine, the Naginata becomes a graceful whirl of steel and bloody death.

I can have Tomoe Gozen in my army?! :swoon: :shlick:

Might have to get this.

zimm
Apr 7, 2012

Verviticus posted:

They need to balance them first. Shogun 2 was a step in the right direction but it was completely broken because either you started near the trade routes (and had a 100% chance of winning) or you started anywhere else (and your chance was closer to 0%).

That said, I remember between the releases of Rome and Medieval 2 they essentially said that they would never ever ever release a multiplayer campaign game so I was pleased they even considered it. It's a shame they probably picked the worst map to do it on for the first time.

Rome 2 will likely make that better, (and the whole ships + land at once thing will make land battles even cooler. *fangirl squee*).

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

There really isn't any alternative but Darth Mod in Empire now. This depresses me.

Empire of Destiny looked really good, but like with all promising ambitious mods after the first few rocky releases the main man behind it vanished into the wastes.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Imperial Splendour?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

DarkCrawler posted:

Imperial Splendour?

I don't know, the revival of it just looks like they've thrown in a few Portugal related bells and whistles to me. They aren't clear in total in what the other features it does to me too.

Did that Mod Conference or whatever happen yet? I was hoping by now to hear something to do with reviving the Total Wars slowly dying mod scene.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Was that an official mod conference or a player run thing?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SeanBeansShako posted:

I don't know, the revival of it just looks like they've thrown in a few Portugal related bells and whistles to me.

That's good enough for me :colbert:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mans posted:

That's good enough for me :colbert:

I'll give it a go if Portugal can last more than three turns before becoming south western Spain.

Also, Modders Conference not happening in July. Could be next month or never.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am beginning to curse the existence of hills. I have a battle where the AI starts off near a forested one, and since I am attacking, they just move onto there and not budge. Any tips for that sort of situation, or should I retreat/let the autobattle handle it?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jul 29, 2012

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Bring artillery?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Take the hill with enormous casualties or die trying.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So I've gotten to a point where the campaign just feels like a chore. I'm doing the crusades in M2:TW's expansion.

I'm trying to eliminate egypt, but they just keep spamming small~medium sized armies without generals and walking them up to various family member generals (that can't be assassinated ever :argh:). They literally just poo poo up the map with standing armies. It's obnoxious and I don't understand where they are getting the money for it.

I'm guessing my biggest problem is that I don't make enough use of the auto-resolve battles feature. Mostly, I would attribute that to just not trusting it and not understanding really how the algorithm works. I'm also a bit of a... purist? Completionist? I dunno, it feels good to fight every battle. This is probably extremely naive of me considering how long a full campaign is turning out to be.

So I guess if I could get a better idea of how auto-resolve battle works, I could get back to playing this awesome game. Also, just curious if anyone has any strategies or tips to speed up conquering a civilization that you are at war with based on the AI's behavior.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Auto-Battle weights numbers and stats highly(Cavalry suffer). Doesn't seem to take fortification into account(Good for offence siege, not so much for defences). Seemingly throws the units into melee combat, which sucks for archer-heavy forces and means that lots of heavy infantry are your friend.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I find I take way more casualties when I auto-resolve, unless my troops significantly outnumber or are way more experienced than the enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterbase
May 18, 2011

canuckanese posted:

I find I take way more casualties when I auto-resolve, unless my troops significantly outnumber or are way more experienced than the enemy.

If you are attacking a castle it's best to autoresolve I find. Otherwise fight it manually.