Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Devian666 posted:

I have added the Airport express to the OP for it's niche purposes. It wouldn't have previously met the minimum bar to go in op but why make all networking difficult.

FYI / anecdotal experience, the Airport Express is great for a tiny city apartment situation where you're in a studio/1 bedroom and you do most of your surfing in one spot, preferably in the same room (or at least adjacent to) as the AX. Do NOT expect it to reach your attic from your basement. Its transmit power is lower than that of its big brother, the Airport Extreme Base Station. Whether by design or not, that's the reality. Its range is probably better than its predecessor, the 802.11g model, but not by much.

If the power cord is too short for where you want to place the AX, you can just buy a standard figure 8 power cord that's longer.. Monoprice has a 10 ft. cord for only 2 bucks.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Porkchop Express posted:

What DOESN'T have terrible firmware that is made for consumer use?

Agreed, but that one in particular has extremely common issues that the providers refuse to fix (Motorola releases new firmware but Comcast/TimeWarner/etc refuse to push it out). Avoid it at ALL costs.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Binary Badger posted:

FYI / anecdotal experience, the Airport Express is great for a tiny city apartment situation where you're in a studio/1 bedroom and you do most of your surfing in one spot, preferably in the same room (or at least adjacent to) as the AX. Do NOT expect it to reach your attic from your basement. Its transmit power is lower than that of its big brother, the Airport Extreme Base Station. Whether by design or not, that's the reality. Its range is probably better than its predecessor, the 802.11g model, but not by much.

If the power cord is too short for where you want to place the AX, you can just buy a standard figure 8 power cord that's longer.. Monoprice has a 10 ft. cord for only 2 bucks.

On the older model one I have, it is compatible with the extra portion of a macbook power cord, so I used that instead.

Really, it's good for getting your music to your stereo if you use itunes and your computer and stereo are in different rooms, and also as a little wifi travel adapter/router thing if you don't already have something along those lines. I bought it to split internet on spring break when I was sharing a condo that turned out to only have one internet jack and like 4 people were staying there (neeeeeeerd)

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Gothmog1065 posted:

Is there something in Windows 7 that causes it to constantly forget I want it set to a static NAT IP? For example, my router has IPs from 100-199, and I static my computer to 50. Works fine, ipconfig shows correctly, but as soon as I reboot my computer, the settings go back to default. Is there a setting or a checkbox I'm missing? It never did this in XP (I have an XP machine that's been set on static for a year now, through reboots and all), and none of my other devices have problems with the IPs.

Still looking for an answer.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Gothmog1065 posted:

Why would Windows have a dialog to configure it to use a static IP that it then later completely ignores, and no one has had a problem with this until now? It's more likely that you have something else going on that's changing that setting, not a part of Windows. I've certainly never seen that.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Gothmog1065 posted:

Sometimes windows will auto-detect a particular "network" and use the configuration it has stored for network 2, 3, 4, etc. It's possible you have multiple configs for the same network and need to eliminate some of them or prevent them from becoming active just because the PC thinks that that's the network that it's on. I don't have PC in front of me that's exhibiting the multi network issues to point to, but I believe that if you go to the networking and connections control panel and look at the active network on the left side there may be options to switch which network the computer thinks you're on. I'm not sure how to eliminate the other networks it might think it has, but this is the only thing I can think of that might change you from a static IP to dynamically assigned without doing anything except rebooting the PC.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Ninja Rope posted:

Why would Windows have a dialog to configure it to use a static IP that it then later completely ignores, and no one has had a problem with this until now? It's more likely that you have something else going on that's changing that setting, not a part of Windows. I've certainly never seen that.

Most of what I got on the internet was "VIRUS", but my computer is clean (MSE, MWB and Combofix pull nothing). Maybe not everyone has this problem, but I am. I was planning on flattening and re installing this weekend either way, I'll see if it does it after that.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
I have a network printer that is attached to a switch, that is then attached to my router. So its Router > Switch > Printer. How the hell do I find out what the IP address of the printer is? Its old as poo poo and doesn't like working with Macs because there is no specific driver for it, and the only way to get it to work is to input the ip address to see if that works, but I cant figure out how.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
In the Status page of the router's config. It will show Devices or Active Clients or something.

The router model would help.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
Its a WNDR3500, but it doesn't show the switch or the printer as being attached, the only thing it shows is my htpc and my roommates computer as being physically attached. Aside from the switch/printer they are the only other two hardwired devices that are ever turned on.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Porkchop Express posted:

Its a WNDR3500, but it doesn't show the switch or the printer as being attached, the only thing it shows is my htpc and my roommates computer as being physically attached. Aside from the switch/printer they are the only other two hardwired devices that are ever turned on.

What model printer is it? Often you can get them to print a status page with the IP address on it.

ilc23
Jun 30, 2012
Are cantennas still a thing?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

ilc23 posted:

Are cantennas still a thing?

Yes, there's plenty of equipment that can still take external antennas and lots of neat directional antennas like cantennas being sold (or made).

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

lazydog posted:

What model printer is it? Often you can get them to print a status page with the IP address on it.

Usually you hold the power button until it starts printing.

Model will help. If it has wireless, it may not connect to a wired network out of the box. My Brother would only connect to a wired account after I connected to its device-to-device network and change its settings through that interface.

evilhacker
Feb 27, 2011
I have a household with two teenagers and combined we have a lot of gear that connects to the internet. I also have a relatively fast internet connection with a 250GB cap and we've been blowing past the cap on a regular basis.

I'm looking for something less than $200 I can put in as a gateway that can give me decent bandwidth usage reporting (i.e. IP x.x.x.x used X amount of bandwidth). I currently have a Cisco ASA 5505, Airport Extreme and an E3000.

I'm using the 5505 as the gateway with the other two as bridges to get Netflow data from the 5505 but the base license only allows for 10 users so I have to do something better. Any suggestions?

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
Something like this on the E3000? http://code.google.com/p/tomato-sdhc-vlan/wiki/TeamanIPTraffic

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
Does anyone have any recommendations for something like the TI-WR702N portable router? That one can be either powered by USB, or an adapter plugged in the wall; I'd think my portable battery that I use for my phone would work for it.

It'd be even better if it were battery powered like a MiFi.

Basically what I am looking for one for is to be a repeater for my TF201 tablet; that has horrible WiFi reception.

So battery powered is a plus, as well as small. And doesn't require much power if it's not battery powered.

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009
edit: Found the issue. If you're trying to set up vlans in dd-wrt, set the nvram variables directly or at least verify that the vlan GUI sets them correctly for you. In some routers it doesn't.

Soup in a Bag fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 31, 2012

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

This isn't specifically a home networking hardware question but I know a lot of you guys are in the IT career field so thought I might be able to get this answered here...

The place I work is looking for a new router with a couple specifically needed features:

Dual WAN (automatic IP failover using 2 internet connections)
Proxy ARP
Some sort of decent VPN support if possible
SNMP
DMZ (Pretty much universally supported, no?)

Bonus features:
Netflow or the like

A couple options are on my radar...

SonicWall TZ210/215
A smaller juniper
Netgear (although had a ton of lovely reviews)
Cisco?

Anyone have a preferred "go to" router for a small - medium office that also acts as a small data center?

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
Can someone recommend me a good wireless adapter for my pc?

I'm upstairs and the router is downstairs. I want something that won't struggle to pick up or send the signals. The house is not the big though.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Xeom posted:

Can someone recommend me a good wireless adapter for my pc?

I'm upstairs and the router is downstairs. I want something that won't struggle to pick up or send the signals. The house is not the big though.

Can you confirm you have enough reception at the location of the PC? If the router can't shove a signal to where it needs a good adapter won't help (much).

With that being said....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704045

SnoPuppy
Jun 15, 2005
This might be a bit of a weird request.

I live in a duplex and my landlord has an Airport Extreme configured to provide a regular network for him, and a "Guest" network for me. In terms of connecting to the internet, everything is great.

However a side effect of the "Guest" network is that no device can see any of other device on the network (other than the router) - only the internet works. My thought was to use a second router that gives me my own network, to isolate it from the provided "Guest" network.

The problem is that I only have wifi to connect to his network, and I'd like my network to also be wireless.
Are there any routers that will let me connect to one network as a client, but then act like a NAT router on a different channel/band? I know some have simultaneous dual band, but I'm not sure if they can be used like that...

I do have an Airport Express, so my only other thought was to get another router, have it join my landlord's network, and then cable over to my airport express to create my own network. Do most routers even allow you to join an existing wifi network and share it to the wired ports?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I've been trying to think of the easiest way to set this up without torturing yourself too much.

If you throw hardware at it you could create a wireless bridge using an access point and then connect that by ethernet cable to the WAN port on the router. This would work and the router would understand what's going on within reason. That way you could have your routers local wireless being local to your LAN. This would allow use of dual band wireless for your local network, even though it might clash a bit with the wireless bridge to the landlord's access point.

If you use wireless bridge mode I believe that most routers will not allow wireless client access on the frequency being used for the bridge. A dual band router should allow wireless client connections on the other frequency though. So if you connect to your landlord's router on 2.4 GHz then all your devices would need to use 5 GHz for access to your local wireless network.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

cr0y posted:

Anyone have a preferred "go to" router for a small - medium office that also acts as a small data center?

Going off your required features list it sounds like a Mikrotik router might be perfect for your needs, and it will do trafficflow, which is compatible with utilities that work with cisco netflow data.

I'd recommend heading over to the Mikrotik thread.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Is this the thread for me to ask a few questions about my new HP Proliant Microserver using OpenMediaVault?

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002
I am using a WNDR3700. I have set it up so my PC and xbox 360 have IP reservations (192.168.1.101 and 102 respectively) but when I reboot/turn on these devices they just get a non-reserved IP from the router. (Router's LAN range is .101 to .150).

Is there something I can do either on the router or the devices to force them to get the addresses reserved for them (other than set a static IP on the device, which defeats the purpose)? I've double checked the MAC addresses in the reservations setup and they match the devices' MACs.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

WastedJoker posted:

Is this the thread for me to ask a few questions about my new HP Proliant Microserver using OpenMediaVault?

You'd be better off asking your questions over in the Consumer NAS/Storage Megathread.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

I can google pretty good, but I'm not sure where to start with my question.

1) I have a five port netgear switch.
2) 1 port goes to "the internet"
3) 1 port goes to my desktop

Is it possible to set up the three remaining ports so that they can only "see" or "talk to" my desktop? I don't want the other three machines to have direct access to the internet.

Is a VLAN what I want?

Will my cheapo switch even do this?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Tres Burritos posted:

Is it possible to set up the three remaining ports so that they can only "see" or "talk to" my desktop? I don't want the other three machines to have direct access to the internet.

Is a VLAN what I want?

A basic home router probably won't let you do this. Your best bet would be to make a second ethernet connection coming out of your computer (add a new NIC or such) and run that to a switch, and then from that switch connect to the other computers.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Tres Burritos posted:

Is a VLAN what I want?

The VLAN options are only in the more expensive netgear 5 port switches. A cheap consumer one won't have the option to do this.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Devian666 posted:

The VLAN options are only in the more expensive netgear 5 port switches. A cheap consumer one won't have the option to do this.

But a VLAN will accomplish this?

jeeves posted:

A basic home router probably won't let you do this. Your best bet would be to make a second ethernet connection coming out of your computer (add a new NIC or such) and run that to a switch, and then from that switch connect to the other computers.

Ah, I didn't even think of that.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
edit: hurrf durf. turned off inSSIDer and fixed everything.

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 31, 2012

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Tres Burritos posted:

But a VLAN will accomplish this?

Yes. Have a look at the following link. It gives a product description for the GS105E and a diagram to indicate VLAN separation. I was going to show you a VLAN configuration on one of my switches but it would have wiped the configuration for my servers so I skipped doing that.

http://www.netgear.com.au/business/products/switches/prosafe-plus-switches/GS105E.aspx

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Devian666 posted:

Yes. Have a look at the following link. It gives a product description for the GS105E and a diagram to indicate VLAN separation. I was going to show you a VLAN configuration on one of my switches but it would have wiped the configuration for my servers so I skipped doing that.

http://www.netgear.com.au/business/products/switches/prosafe-plus-switches/GS105E.aspx

Sweet, thanks!

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
You could plug everything into the same switch and disable DHCP/static IPs without a default gateway on all the hosts you don't want to access the internet.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I'm not sure if I should be asking this here or somewhere else as it's a little more complex than a home network but it's currently using a home router.

A couple of switches, a couple of dozen computers, etc. It should work fine, however the small old router that is controlling everything also provides connectivity to two or three other wireless routers (with DHCP disabled) to cover the grounds. It kinda works, sometimes they die and they need to be power cycled, etc. Probably to get a working IP from the one lonely router but I have no idea because I'm never there when they die.

Anyway, now they got a couple dozen more computers (for free) to setup a new computer lab for the kids. All the computers have wireless cards so they are thinking "Hey, maybe this way we can save money and just use wifi" but I'm thinking that a) the router will probably explode or b) it'll be just a recipe for frustration.

So, now a friend that works there is asking me what to do. And I have no idea because while I can fix computers, networks are something in a whole different level.

Long story short, horrible mess of a network and they can't afford an expert. Is there an easy solution for this kind of thing? Maybe a better router?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

gmq posted:

Anyway, now they got a couple dozen more computers (for free) to setup a new computer lab for the kids. All the computers have wireless cards so they are thinking "Hey, maybe this way we can save money and just use wifi" but I'm thinking that a) the router will probably explode or b) it'll be just a recipe for frustration.

So, now a friend that works there is asking me what to do. And I have no idea because while I can fix computers, networks are something in a whole different level.

Long story short, horrible mess of a network and they can't afford an expert. Is there an easy solution for this kind of thing? Maybe a better router?

There was a discussion in the office today about free stuff that ends up costing you money. This is one of those situations. You should advise them to do the correct thing which is to have a wired connection to each computer. Of course they'll ignore your advice and get a cheap wireless router. If the router can perform reliably and the wireless cards connect then the network speed will be poor. If the router can't cope (which it probably won't) they'll get all manner of network connection issues.

They could pay to get advice on appropriate gear that would do the job and save them money in the long run. If they don't want to do that I wouldn't recommend getting involved. If they are fixated on wireless connections for an entire computer lab then wish them good luck.

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.
My current connection is going to be upgraded to 100/10 VDSL later this year or early 2013. Is there any sense slapping 2008 R2 and Forefront TMG (access to MSDNAA) on one box leaving the VDSL box acting as media converter?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Devian666 posted:

You should advise them to do the correct thing which is to have a wired connection to each computer.

Thanks. I'll do that. Right now they are using an old linksys router as a hub for everything. I'm guessing they'll need to upgrade that too, right?

vvvvvvvvvvv
Surprisingly enough it doesn't get hot, probably because it's always open (as it can't be closed :v:).

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

gmq posted:

Thanks. I'll do that. Right now they are using an old linksys router as a hub for everything. I'm guessing they'll need to upgrade that too, right?

I'm no expert or anything, but that cabinet looks like it gets really hot. Maybe some ventilation might be in order?