Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Tim, you should record your cochins during feeding/treat time, I've seen videos of bantam cochins running around and they are adorable, they look like stuffed toys :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Anyone know what kind of chicken has black skin and white feathers? She's a really weird chicken. Also, quite old. But still a layer! She gives nice big cream colored eggs.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

Anyone know what kind of chicken has black skin and white feathers? She's a really weird chicken. Also, quite old. But still a layer! She gives nice big cream colored eggs.

It sounds like a type of silkie but you should post a photo of her!

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I promise that I will sell the ones I don’t want.

We all say that... :devil:

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Suspect Bucket posted:

That would be a silkie or something crossed with a silkie. The skin isnt the only thing black,the bones and meat are all black as well!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Tim the Enchanter posted:

That would be a silkie or something crossed with a silkie. The skin isnt the only thing black,the bones and meat are all black as well!

OMG!!! I googled for images of "silkie chicken meat" and OMFG! the meat really is black!!! That's amazing and so very very strange! :aaa:

I wonder if silkie meat tastes any different from regular chicken meat? Is it gamier-tasting?

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Geokinesis posted:

It turns out Janet is a very curious hen and decided to investigate the open back door today.

This picture is too cute :3:

Also...Tim the Enchanter..black...MEAT?!? That is so weird! :aaa:

I decided to have a little fun with the chicks today and put a small grasshopper in their box. Not so surprisingly, the largest chick who we have nicknamed "lardass" (But considering naming her butter, and a skinnier one margarine) got it.

It was so cute how she was chirping like "omg stay i have something special I have something special leave me alone!" and running around while several of the others, including the little bantam were following her like "OMG GIMMIE!"

They don't know how to be discreet. She gobbled it down and looked very satisfied.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Greycious posted:

I decided to have a little fun with the chicks today and put a small grasshopper in their box. Not so surprisingly, the largest chick who we have nicknamed "lardass" (But considering naming her butter, and a skinnier one margarine) got it.

It was so cute how she was chirping like "omg stay i have something special I have something special leave me alone!" and running around while several of the others, including the little bantam were following her like "OMG GIMMIE!"

They don't know how to be discreet. She gobbled it down and looked very satisfied.

Running around, cheeping that you have something great that no one else has is half the fun! :)

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

The meat tastes just like regular chicken meat,freaks people out when they first try it though. Apparently it's a delicacy in some some countries just for the looks,I just eat it because they're what I raise.

Edit:I only eat my cull birds!

Tim Jong-un fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 26, 2012

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
"black [chicken] bone soup" is a delicacy in Chinese culture, it's combined with different Chinese medicine herbs and is considered more nutritious than normal chicken.

HeadcrabPie
Oct 6, 2009
Hello again chicken goons!

Silkie chick looks bigger already, and has developed a voracious appetite for mealworms. She goes into a frenzy everytime I offer one to her. :3: She also seems to enjoy pooping in my hand.

She does seem to be sneezing though, and has been shaking her head occasionally since I brought her home. No lethargy, discharge or anything else that I've noticed. She's on pine shavings, could she have some dust in her nose? Mites maybe?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Awwww she's so cute :3: If you hink she has mites, you could check the inside on her ears and see if they are clean. I think that's a spot mites like.

In other news, Megatron one of my mutts has no class. she's so ghetto to the core and likes to pick up fights with strangers :ese:

WrathofKhan
Jun 4, 2011
Silkie chicken tastes like chicken. The black bones are really freaky. The meat isn't totally black, more of a very dark gray, but the tendons and stuff is black. Still freaky though. And yummy. Oh, so yummy.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

Delicious grey silkie pullet coming right up!

Butt shot!

Shes still growing so her tail hasnt come in fully yet.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Dat silkie looks so incredibly soft. Is she as soft as she looks?

Love her head pouf! :3:

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

Yup,shes just an ultra soft fluffball!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I am gonna go out on a limb and say that Weird Chicken is not a silkie. Mostly because she is raggedy and has no fluff. She hangs with the three ancient amerucanas, Noodle, Spaghetti, and Eugene, but is not part of their 'flock', as she then roosts with Loud One's flock, and he tries to sit on her but she gives him old weird chicken hell for it.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 27, 2012

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Silkies look so ridiculous. Incredibly soft and I just want to bury my face in one, but ridiculous. Do you have to give them baths?

Lucille finally gave us a second blue egg this morning, 5 days after the first! Maeby has been laying nearly every day (5 eggs in six days so far) and making Lucille look like quite the slacker. And Chloe-belle was hanging out in the nest box and generally acting confused about the world this morning, so I think her first egg is coming soon. If she lays in one of the nest boxes it will be the first egg to get laid there. The other two prefer to lay on the bottom of the coop.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

Yeah the birds we're intending to show have to be bathed about once a month in off-time then around 2 days before a show to give them ample time to dry. In that two days its basically a battle to keep them clean and they live like royal fuzzballs until they're through being shown for the year, at which time they get to live like royal dirty fuzzballs.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Yeah the birds we're intending to show have to be bathed about once a month in off-time then around 2 days before a show to give them ample time to dry. In that two days its basically a battle to keep them clean and they live like royal fuzzballs until they're through being shown for the year, at which time they get to live like royal dirty fuzzballs.

What type of shows do you participate in? State and local fairs? Are there 'big' poultry fancier shows where you live? Your birds are so beautiful. You mention that you eat the birds you cull, how much meat can one harvest from a bantam size chicken vs a full size/heritage breed chicken?

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

piscesbobbie posted:

What type of shows do you participate in? State and local fairs? Are there 'big' poultry fancier shows where you live? Your birds are so beautiful. You mention that you eat the birds you cull, how much meat can one harvest from a bantam size chicken vs a full size/heritage breed chicken?

There are hundreds of poultry clubs all over the country,some have been having shows for decades. Some clubs have bantam only shows while others allow bantams and standards both. Some shows are chickens only while others allow ducks and geese. I usually stick to shows in Alabama/Georgia/Tennessee/Mississippi and Florida but I try to make it to the national club shows when I have time. I went to the Silkie nationals in Indianapolis last year which was a week long event I think. I try to attend both large and small shows, the small shows primarily just to help them get started or re-started.

Breeding chickens and call ducks has really taken off as a hobby again recently so clubs that stopped having shows twenty years ago have started up again due to the increase in interest. Even a small show nowadays can expect around 300 birds minimum while a large show can have many thousands and run for days.Most people will bring a bird or two but some people such as myself will bring a dozen or more depending on the time we have to get them ready beforehand. Usually this is done more for trading purposes than actually trying to win with a dozen birds. Ill bring 4 or 5 birds im willing to part with in exchange for a bird with a desirable trait im trying to breed towards. My birds might have better color lacing than yours but I might need the feather width your lines have.

If anyone is interested in showing a particular breed it's in you're best interest to join the club for whatever breed it is. If you are a member of the national club for your breed your wins and high placements will award you points to be judged against other breeders ,the more wins the more points you get and eventually after so many wins and being at the top of thousands of other people you can be awarded Master/Grandmaster breeder certificates and whatnot and your birds become ultra desirable because youve consistently dominated shows and obviously know your stuff. Im working on getting my bantam judging license so I can travel more to judge shows and make connections with other breeders as well as learn how to improve my breeding practices.

Regarding meat, I can usually get about 75-80% of the birds original weight as edible stuff,thats for both bantams and standards.

Edit:drat,much like a chicken my mind wanders.

Tim Jong-un fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 28, 2012

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

:swoon: This is just too adorable

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but do silkies lay well?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Have some yotubs of weird chicken. Video quality is poo poo-poor, sorry.

http://youtu.be/iSHT9jaZswA
http://youtu.be/qC_b8TuNnZM

I also sound like a neeeeeeeeeeerd.

edit: These are not my chickens, btw, they live at the farm I work on. I'm primarily concerned with the goats.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Greycious posted:

:swoon: This is just too adorable

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but do silkies lay well?

I think it varies, they can lay good when they are laying, but they are very broody so I would think not very consistently. But they make excellent mothers. I'm trying to connect with other people in the area who have chickens and one woman said that anytime there is a pile of eggs, her silkie gets excited and immediately tries to sit on them.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

Yeah the trick with Silkies is egg vigilance,you cant let more than 2 or 3 eggs get laid where they can reach them or they'll go broody in a heartbeat. It's so strong an instinct that even the roosters will sit on eggs occasionally and the hens will actively hunt down eggs and drag them to one pile.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Tim, you're killin' me with all these adorable bantam Cochin pics...

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
This is my chicken, Nugget. She lays one egg 5 days a week like clockwork. She's awesome.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Nugget is so pretty. I'm going to try my guessing skills. Is she a Buff Orpington?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I would guess that too. Hopefully that's what my Flora's gonna look like when she grows up!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

This is my chicken, Nugget. She lays one egg 5 days a week like clockwork. She's awesome.

Awwww. She's lovely! Is Nugget your only chicken? Does she get lonely? Do you go outside and hang out with her to keep her company?

How can people not like chickens? They're pretty; they produce eggs; and make great pets!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Inveigle posted:

How can people not like chickens? They're pretty; they produce eggs; and make great pets!

They poo poo indiscriminately and in great quantities.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Very true.

Nugget is my only adult chicken (Yes, Buff Orpington!) at this time. She was 1 of 10 (5 orpingtons and 5 polish) and they slowly became food for local raccoons and foxes until we figured out a good system and lock on the barn. She does have 3 adult guineas in the barn at night with her but they go their separate ways during the day. I have 9 chicks right now and 12 guinea keets so they'll all have more company this fall when I let them out in the yard together.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Malachite_Dragon posted:

That is so true, but it's worth it. Having Roostroyer come to the kitchen door at dusk and call me when it's time to go to bed is so cute that he has eared the right to poop wherever he wants :3:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Chido posted:

That is so true, but it's worth it. Having Roostroyer come to the kitchen door at dusk and call me when it's time to go to bed is so cute that he has eared the right to poop wherever he wants :3:

The video of Roostroyer's bed time is so cute. Megatron not wanting any more henhoes around! Chido, thanks for the videos. They are so much fun to watch!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Nettle Soup posted:

I would guess that too. Hopefully that's what my Flora's gonna look like when she grows up!

Your Flora is adorable. I LOVE that video of her with the baby chicks!

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

piscesbobbie posted:

The video of Roostroyer's bed time is so cute. Megatron not wanting any more henhoes around! Chido, thanks for the videos. They are so much fun to watch!

I'm so cruel to poor Roo, I always wait until he comes to the kitchen door and calls me before I let him into the run. It's just too cute :3:.

I ordered 4 chicks from MPC for September, and two of them are black. I have 5 white chickens, 3 brown ones, ordered a buff brahma and a buff Orpington, making it 5 brown, and an Australorp and a silver laced wyandotte. After reading what happened to Nettle Soup's hen, I'm a bit concerned that these black ones will get bullied because of their color :(.

Chido fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 29, 2012

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

I'm so cruel to poor Roo, I always wait until he comes to the kitchen door and calls me before I let him into the run. It's just too cute :3:.

I ordered 4 chicks from MPC for September, and two of them are black. I have 5 white chickens, 3 brown ones, ordered a buff brahma and a buff Orpington, making it 5 brown, and an Australorp and a silver laced wyandotte. After reading what happened to Nettle Soup's hen, I'm a bit concerned that these black ones will get bullied because of their color :(.

Chido! The video of Roostroyer coming to the kitchen door when it's bedtime is so cute. He was so sleepy and ready for bed! :3:

Perhaps you need to keep the new chicken separated from the older chickens for a while (like the way VS has her setup now, with the babies in their own run). Is there any way to set up a smaller, separate run/coop for the new chicks?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Do they still make those teeny little sunglasses for chickens? I saw them on Antiques Roadshow once; they come tinted in green or red and they're supposed to reduce chicken aggression somehow. I really really think you should invest in those and report back to the internet on the results.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Chido posted:

Mine get super grumpy now during the week when they don't get to roam the yard all day. When I come out in the morning they all go sit near the door to their run and squawk to be let out. They don't do it for anyone else. Just me. It is both obnoxious and endearing at the same time.

I'm really surprised at how close together all of our chickens have begun laying. We got our first egg last Saturday, second chicken started laying on Sunday, and a third started laying yesterday. We're just waiting on Beatrice to start now. And it only took 9 days to get our first dozen eggs from the day the first chicken started laying!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Chido, Roo's bedtime ritual is hilarious. :keke:

We finally got some burlap bags hung on the outside of the coop today, What we do is wet them down on hot days and they act like a chicken swamp cooler, providing evaporative cooling for a bit when the breeze blows through them. Not perfect, but it helps keep the chickens cooler on nasty hot days.

Two of the younger roos, Dinner and Weedcat, did a LOT of wailing, running around and other assorted histrionics as I was hanging them. Scott and the older, more seasoned girls were simply curious and hung out & watched.