Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Yeah, I've been using geomancer right and often it will do some good damage, but then it will roll something like quicksand and miss. As for berserker, I used it enough to give Bartz bersek, I can see how they could be tough to use but I am interested to see what they're abilities are. They cost so much ABP that they HAVE to be good!
They're not :v:

The cool thing about FF5 is that while some jobs are better than others people have beat the whole game with pretty much every combination of jobs, they're all viable.

Also once you master a class the basic Freelancer class gains their boosts and some passives - for example a guy who masters Ninja can dual wield swords, and then combine that with other abilities to do some absurd stuff like almost 80,000 damage in one move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also once you master a class the basic Freelancer class gains their boosts and some passives - for example a guy who masters Ninja can dual wield swords, and then combine that with other abilities to do some absurd stuff like almost 80,000 damage in one move.

And they pick up the Geomancer floor damage immunity passive so you don't need to use Geomancers :v:

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Bards are the poo poo. Pretty early on you get Alluring Air, which confuses all enemies for 0MP makes almost every random encounter significantly easier. Requiem makes a couple of the more difficult dungeons an absolute joke, too. Just set your second command to something powerful to pick up for the relatively little damage done and be sure to play all the pianos in the pubs.

Forgot to mention, I finished the FJF and I'm glad to finally cross FFV off my list after getting so far a few years ago. To be honest, the combination of Bard/Summoner/Blue/Chemist made things pretty easy apart from a couple of specific bosses - the four elementals were impossible before I read up on the Chemist's death potion. Looking forward to doing it again next year.

So now I decide which to do next - I haven't finished (but have played quite a bit of): 6, 12, 13 (also, 11 and 14). Decisions!

Idioteque Dance fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 29, 2012

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I made Galuf a monk-berserker the entire time he was in my party. :downs: He starts off using only his fists, why not have him use them forever!?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

No matter what job I have Galuf as, I usually pair it with barehanded. It just 'feels' right.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
Is the four heroes of light worth tracking down? It sounds interesting n

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

It's definitely okay. Not the best game in the world, but certainly the best game SE's put out since 2005.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The White Dragon posted:

It's definitely okay. Not the best game in the world, but certainly the best game SE's put out since 2005.

What? XII (I know you disagree), XIII-2, Crisis Core, both Dissidias, and Theatrhythm are all better. :colbert:

And if you extend that beyond Final Fantasy, you get Kingdom Hearts 2, Birth By Sleep, and Dragon Quest 9.

Edit: And yeah, TWEWY.

4 Heroes of Light wasn't developed by SE, anyhow.

Arist fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 29, 2012

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

The World Ends With You would like a word with you :colbert:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
First impressions are worth way too much, and because he was such a whiny bitch in the beginning, I couldn't help but want to slap Neku the entire time no matter how much he changed by the end.

As for Theatrhythm or whatever, I just can't get over how creepy those little low-effort dudes look.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Theatrhythm looks fun as hell and I'll be picking it up once I have a 3DS, but my God does that art style bug me. It is absolutely not cute or likable or anything, just loving creepy soulless uncanney valley dollface things. No personality, no emotion, absolutely nothing in the faces. They are :geno: personified. The pictures from the other game were even worse with the Mickey and Donald costume things. I can see how it'd work in other games or settings, but in Final Fantasy with music that's largely fun and cheerful or at least energetic and tense, and with all the big colorful monsters and backgrounds, and then all the games it uses material from with their stories and characters? No.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

It's pretty good, but it does the FFXIII thing of constantly switching parties of two for way too long. I love the battle and job system though, it makes special moves use a limited resource while not falling back on using items to refill it.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The cool thing about FF5 is that while some jobs are better than others people have beat the whole game with pretty much every combination of jobs, they're all viable.

People have beaten one-character runs of the game with every class including Berserker, so yes. I'd still stay away from Geomancer and Berserker, though, they're not very fun and they don't add a whole drat lot to your party.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Momomo posted:

It's pretty good, but it does the FFXIII thing of constantly switching parties of two for way too long.

Yes but you can turn into a dog! And the hero is like "oh man I love being a dog" when everyone else is all "gently caress this I hate being an animal." But this is probably because they're, like, cats or rabbits or... I can't even remember what the hero's friend is, but I swear it was something funny and embarassing like a toad or a pig.

Plus 4HL is just so goddamn dapper. I mean you can be a Top Hat Black Mage who wears a tux. And the final boss is Baron Samedi

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 30, 2012

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Idioteque Dance posted:

So now I decide which to do next - I haven't finished but have played quite a bit of): 6, 12, 13 (also, 11 and 14). Decisions!

I haven't played 14 but here's how I rate the rest:

12/6/11/13. 11 isn't most people's thing, but it's kinda similar to 12. I couldn't stand 13.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

The White Dragon posted:

Yes but you can turn into a dog! And the hero is like "oh man I love being a dog" when everyone else is all "gently caress this I hate being an animal." But this is probably because they're, like, cats or rabbits or... I can't even remember what the hero's friend is, but I swear it was something funny and embarassing like a toad or a pig.

Plus 4HL is just so goddamn dapper. I mean you can be a Top Hat Black Mage who wears a tux. And the final boss is Baron Samedi

Yeah, I loved that poo poo, running around as a dog owned. I was very annoyed that you got rabbit last though. Also liked taking temporary party members' clothes just to meet them later. Talk about awkward.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Fungah! posted:

People have beaten one-character runs of the game with every class including Berserker, so yes. I'd still stay away from Geomancer and Berserker, though, they're not very fun and they don't add a whole drat lot to your party.

Geomancer gives a nice free attack for mages to spam in random encounters.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Here's something odd I just noticed in FFTactics. The picture for Riovanes Castle:

is the bridge Pont Neuf that leads into downtown Toulouse, France:

which is where I grew up. Quelle coincidence.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
With all the subtle poo poo and twisted plot lines they tend to put in FF games, I'm beginning to see that the conspiracy/rumoured plot of FFVIII - that most of the game is Squall dying - is becoming more and more believable.

They don't throw it in your face like American cinema, but it's believable.

Cyberbob fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 30, 2012

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

Geomancer gives a nice free attack for mages to spam in random encounters.

!Gaia is great in the first half of the game. It just never scales up after that point. However, Geomancer is one of fastest jobs to master, maybe the fastest. The skills do have some use, so time in Geomancer isn't time wasted.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I know I'm late to FFIX chat, but I replayed it lately and had completely forgotten just how grim that game is. While I know just about every FF game is kind of downer up until the ending, FFIX has depressing poo poo in spades. You're basically chasing the villain around and either too late or simply unable to stop his awesome plans. Going into Burmecia and seeing it filled with dead people and children was pretty chilling, and then you get to go to Cleyra where all the refuges are crying about their dead children. Then they all get to die too.

Not to mention the whole plot about the Black Mage Village and their dealing with mortality. Zidane just deals with this stuff and holds it together as best he can until the big plot reveal towards the end and he just breaks. It was great.

Also Black Waltz no. 3 is the coolest boss that isn't Ultros or Gilgamesh.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Cyberbob posted:

With all the subtle poo poo and twisted plot lines they tend to put in FF games, I'm beginning to see that the conspiracy/rumoured plot of FFVIII - that most of the game is Squall dying - is becoming more and more believable.

Final Fantasy does have a subtlety that's hard for the unrefined american cineaste to appreciate, for sure dude.

sexy wheely
Oct 11, 2008

Cyberbob posted:

:)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Here's something odd I just noticed in FFTactics. The picture for Riovanes Castle:

Ha, so those are all actual pictures? I think they've done it more than once, I remember in FF12 a lot of the architecture was straight up lifted from things the team saw in Turkey and India.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Cyberbob posted:

It certainly makes the poo poo plot a bit more interesting.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

I'll be honest - I can't see the similarity in these pictures at all. They both contain bridges I guess?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The bridge, the form of the bridge, and the cathedral in the background.

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
Looks to me more like Prague's Charles Bridge, although I don't have a photo of it from the correct angle to hand at the moment. Imagine the camera's position being to the left a bit!

Final Fantasy Megathread: Clash of the Big Bridges

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008
Minagawa and Matsuno have been influenced by french architecture for a while.

Vagrant Story for example was directly inspired by Saint-Emilion, and you can see bits of French architecture pop here and there in every game they designed, so even though I don't really recognize it in the picture, the similar style makes me think it's probably some southwestern french bridge (if you're wondering why I know this much about french bridges, I'm french and had a few courses on architecture some years ago).

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I recently started to replay FF3 on my DS after sort of giving up on it very early on a few years back, because the gameplay was really dated compared to the RPGs of today so I put it down. I had a moment of realization the reason why I didn't like the old FF games was because I hated the grindy nature of them (I played FF4 on ps1 and totally gave up).

Anyways I started to play FF3 again and something totally clicked and now I'm hooked, its a pretty fun game. I'm going to play FFIV, V, and VI after since I never played those much either. For FFIV is the DS version any good? Reminds me of FF3 but way overhauled. Also I can't seem to find my psp so that Complete Works is a no go for me.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If you can't get the PSP version of FFIV, then go for the DS one. It's in 3D and with voice acting, so the presentation is good. However, they changed a bit of the battle system with augments/skills and such, but it's still better than playing the original.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
DS version is more designed for people who've played FF4 before, but it's definitely playable if it's your first time playing it. The story is still the same, just with 3D cutscenes and some voice acting. The main changes are gameplay-focused, and overall it's a more difficult game than the other versions. The DS version adds an Augment system, giving characters special abilities from other characters or abilities that weren't in the original, like Omnicast and Encounter-None. Some of these are a pain to find, and a lot require giving a certain number of Augments to characters that leave your party, so you could find yourself being spoiled if you decide to follow a guide.

As for other versions, if you don't have access to a PSP, the GBA version is pretty much the version the PSP version is based on. It's a retranslation of the original version, so it has all the items and uncensored crap that was cut out of the SNES US release, plus bonus stuff like choosing your own party for the end game and the bonus dungeons. The US version of the GBA game has some glitches with the ATB that were cleared up in the European release, but it's not that big an issue.

Go with either version. GBA version is easier and more resembles the original, but the DS version has a better presentation and gives you more options for combat strategies.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I still think FF4 DS is a halfassed attempt to modernize and change an SNES game that itself was basically an NES game at heart in regards to gameplay. Most of the enemies do the same stuff they did before, but they hit harder ans since it's so simplistic there's no real way to reduce the damage you take.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

I enjoyed FF4 DS but I really, really wish they had an option to change to 2d sprite based graphics instead. The 3d just doesn't look that great, especially the character models. It's one very small step above original PS1.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Last Celebration posted:

Most of the enemies do the same stuff they did before, but they hit harder ans since it's so simplistic there's no real way to reduce the damage you take.

4 is super opaque about damage-- it's using the same attack and defense counters (where each of your guys has a fixed number of chances to hit or block per attack) as the NES games. but it DOESN'T show what you or the enemy actually rolled in battle, it just pops the resulting damage.

short of hacking i don't know how you could make an informed guess about an enemy's attack or defense numbers. you know if you're in the ballpark because the distribution of damage becomes much broader, with some hits doing 0 or a few hundred and some in the thousands, but that's it.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

swamp waste posted:

4 is super opaque about damage-- it's using the same attack and defense counters (where each of your guys has a fixed number of chances to hit or block per attack) as the NES games. but it DOESN'T show what you or the enemy actually rolled in battle, it just pops the resulting damage.

short of hacking i don't know how you could make an informed guess about an enemy's attack or defense numbers. you know if you're in the ballpark because the distribution of damage becomes much broader, with some hits doing 0 or a few hundred and some in the thousands, but that's it.

Oh wow, I never knew that about FFIV. So it's doing that whole 10HIT or whatever from the old games behind the scenes? That's pretty neat.

I appreciated FFIV PSP's option to either use the updated soundtrack or the old one for the FFIV portion. I hear the iPhone and PSP versions of FFIII does that as well, so I'm hoping the PSP version comes out on PSN in English. The remixes in DS were alright, but the original soundtrack was impressive for a Famicom game.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

swamp waste posted:

I'm pretty sure you can see your characters' own damage multipliers (or number of hits or whatever) in the status screen somewhere, at least in the SNES/SFAM version. I definitely remember that number existing, and Cecil's being the highest.

For monsters, yeah, I have no clue.

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Boten Anna posted:

I didn't go into it in detail because it was a side thing but I personally don't find Cloud intolerable at all, and most of my criticism is really aimed at Squall, who is a Total gently caress.

Squall's personality comes across really well. He's literally supposed to start off as a jerk. But like people say, the execution of the character is important. A lot of NPCs who the writers want to think are cool are goofy to balance out Squall, but are TOO goofy, so Squall's jerkness feels justified (do you prefer a nice idiot or a serious pro?). The writing is not subtle at ALL about it, so the romance and emotional bits feel kind of forced. Squall doesn't really get to play off mature characters. He never meets a reformed huge jerk, or girl who had an as-lovely life but nonetheless is cheerful without being airheaded about it, or another character who he can't just immediately shoot down as being an idiot. There's also the problem he's the POV and the main character.

It's becoming a running joke but let's compare someone like Paine, who is supposed to be more amiable than Lulu and maybe (stereotype ahoy) deals with people better for being a girl. Paine isn't the lead character and can't disobey the player because of *game mechanics*, so you never get the *narrative* feel she ever feels really against anything you do (and is thus secrely nice so its just "oh paine you silly" :allears:); she'll bitch something is silly then immediately do it.

I guess the my feeling is that some personalities don't "pad" well when you have to extended them to a main character? Hell, Squall is enough of a cipher in some respects that if any game needed a Persona-style ~Romance Option~ minigame was shoe'd in it would have made a lot of people happier, destroyed narrative be damned. :v:

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Has there been any talk of a DS remake of FF5? It's my favourite of the old games and I feel with a brush of paint (and maybe a fun new job or two) it would be really really great.

The latest news I could find about V (and VI) is that they were having 'technical issues' (Article here). I really hope it happens :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Stoat posted:

Has there been any talk of a DS remake of FF5? It's my favourite of the old games and I feel with a brush of paint (and maybe a fun new job or two) it would be really really great.

The latest news I could find about V (and VI) is that they were having 'technical issues' (Article here). I really hope it happens :ohdear:

That post was made two years ago, so I doubt it. It'd be great though, since your only options for playing it legitimately in English are getting a GBA cart or the pretty awful PS1 port. Why doesn't Nintendo offer GBA games in the 3DS store aside from Ambassador crap most people don't have access to? Why do they hate money!?