Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlyWhiteBoy
Jul 13, 2004
I'm still using my original HTC Evo and sitting on an upgrade. Is now a good time to get a new phone, IE nothing amazing coming soon? Also the Samsung Galaxy 3 seems like a good choice based on reviews I've seen. I like the good battery life and hardware specs on it. Am I on the right track here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Very early CM10 trip report (just flashed it a couple of hours ago):

I'm trying out Robert Burns's CM10 build for the NS4G. It's not quite ready for prime time (The Google Now app gives an error on start up, they don't have Trebuchet settings working yet, there are a few reports of light sensors not working, and a few other minor things), but Project Butter works quite well, the new notifications are really cool, and most Cyanogen mod features from CM9 are implemented. So far so good.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

FlyWhiteBoy posted:

I'm still using my original HTC Evo and sitting on an upgrade. Is now a good time to get a new phone, IE nothing amazing coming soon? Also the Samsung Galaxy 3 seems like a good choice based on reviews I've seen. I like the good battery life and hardware specs on it. Am I on the right track here?

After the Galaxy S3, I suspect the next major release will be the iPhone 5.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Lovie Unsmith posted:

And hopefully a new Google phone to come out 2 weeks after the anniversary of Steve Job's death.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Grumpwagon posted:

Very early CM10 trip report (just flashed it a couple of hours ago):

I'm trying out Robert Burns's CM10 build for the NS4G. It's not quite ready for prime time (The Google Now app gives an error on start up, they don't have Trebuchet settings working yet, there are a few reports of light sensors not working, and a few other minor things), but Project Butter works quite well, the new notifications are really cool, and most Cyanogen mod features from CM9 are implemented. So far so good.

I'm loving CM10 on mine. I have yet to see any kind of errors on my end. I'm really looking forward to the official build whenever that happens.

I thought the ICS camera was quick, holy crap the JB camera is fantastic!

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Grumpwagon posted:

The Google Now app gives an error on start up
You probably have to go to settings, language, and download the 20mb language pack.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I thought it was smooth when I flashed it, but it seems to have gotten even smoother.

falz posted:

You probably have to go to settings, language, and download the 20mb language pack.

Does it pop up to download when you go in there or something? I'm not getting anything.

It just says "Network error. Check your network connections and try again." But everything else works.

ninmeister posted:

I'm loving CM10 on mine. I have yet to see any kind of errors on my end. I'm really looking forward to the official build whenever that happens.

If you're on a call, does your light sensor turn off the screen when you put it to your head?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Epic 4G QWERTY lovers, your upgrade has been announced.

The Motorola PHOTON Q 4G LTE with unlockable bootloader.

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009

td4guy posted:

Epic 4G QWERTY lovers, your upgrade has been announced.

The Motorola PHOTON Q 4G LTE with unlockable bootloader.

I hope this will be better than the first Photon. The fact it'll have an unlockable bootloader is a huge plus, though.

Wish I wasn't so far from my upgrade. :argh:

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

MOTOROLA PHOTON Q 4G LTE fact sheet posted:

Frequency: LTE, CDMA 800/1900 EVDO Rev A, World Phone - GSM 850/1900/1800/900, UMTS 850/1900/2100 (SIM is embedded in the phone, GSM SIM is locked and not removable)
They've used embedded SIMs for the first few 4G LTE phones. I'm really surprised to see they're doing the same for a GSM world phone.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Grumpwagon posted:

If you're on a call, does your light sensor turn off the screen when you put it to your head?

I just tried it, and yep, proximity sensor is working properly.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Is the S3 the phone to get? I'm going with the Gnex just to be safe.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

FlyWhiteBoy posted:

Is now a good time to get a new phone, IE nothing amazing coming soon?
Folks are speculating on an iPhone refresh in October. Historically new Nexus devices have been released towards the end of the year, but Sprint has gotten theirs in the Spring. Either way, you're not going to see anything earth shattering in Android land until the year end anyways.

FlyWhiteBoy posted:

I like the good battery life and hardware specs on it. Am I on the right track here?
Hardware wise the SGS3 is best on Sprint. Software wise it's quite good too, but suffers the inherent flaw of not being a Nexus device, so will get Android updates after (possibly long after) the Galaxy Nexus.

So it's a trade off. If you're cool with running good but slightly-older software then the SGS3 is an awesome device. If Google Now is life changing for you and you must have Jellybean, the Galaxy Nexus is a better bet.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Since I flashed a Verizon prl to have 3g roaming, do I need to flash back to use Sprint towers?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Hey, anyone looking for a Galaxy Nexus and switching to Sprint, it is unconfirmed but I think I will have them for free august 3rd-5th. Unfortunately I can't get that to anyone still on sprint (unless you get a new line and switch your old number to GVoice). Anyway, any questions let me know.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Hey, anyone looking for a Galaxy Nexus and switching to Sprint, it is unconfirmed but I think I will have them for free august 3rd-5th. Unfortunately I can't get that to anyone still on sprint (unless you get a new line and switch your old number to GVoice). Anyway, any questions let me know.

Do you know of any software updates for the Nexus S 4G? Apparently there is one as an employee at the corporate Sprint store said she updated my phone to it and now my battery has been going for 1 day and 3 hours with screen time at 2 hours and 2 minutes...something it's never done before.

I'm not really sure what's happening and it's intriguing. Maybe she replaced the battery without telling me?

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Sprint.com is telling me I'm eligible for an upgrade, and they'll buy my Evo 3D for $75 - but I'm only halfway through my 2 year contract. Is this something new, or have I just misunderstood how upgrades worked on Sprint? I had previously thought it was 22 months.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

blargle posted:

Sprint.com is telling me I'm eligible for an upgrade, and they'll buy my Evo 3D for $75 - but I'm only halfway through my 2 year contract. Is this something new, or have I just misunderstood how upgrades worked on Sprint? I had previously thought it was 22 months.

You probably just got lucky and got one last yearly upgrade. Take it dude.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.

Duckman2008 posted:

You probably just got lucky and got one last yearly upgrade. Take it dude.

It's also in Sprint's benefit to keep you around and extend your contract, so take it at your own risk of sticking with Sprint for at least two more years.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007

Jeratain posted:

It's also in Sprint's benefit to keep you around and extend your contract, so take it at your own risk of sticking with Sprint for at least two more years.

Yeah, the fine print indicates I'll be renewing my contract for another 2 years. I'd rather wait and see where Sprint is with LTE in a year and have the ability to jump ship if it's not great.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

mastershakeman posted:

Since I flashed a Verizon prl to have 3g roaming, do I need to flash back to use Sprint towers?

You don't have to flash. Just do an Update Profile.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

*Update PRL

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

td4guy posted:

*Update PRL

Yeah, that.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Finally found some 4G LTE in north Texas! In Allen, of all places. We were by the new Allen Eagles stadium and there it was. My wife didn't have a speedtest app installed, so we couldn't measure how good it was, but it was there. I guess it's not a myth after all!

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Trip report for the Seidio 3800 mAh Extended Battery (with NFC support) for the Sprint Galaxy Nexus

Short answer: It's amazing

The battery arrived Friday, so I swapped it out in my wife's phone when she got home. Plugged it in and charged it for about 8 hours. I think it was unplugged somewhere around 3am Saturday morning. As of now (4pm Sunday), it's just a bit under 50%. This is with LTE enabled and no real change in usage on her part. And Seidio says the battery should start lasting longer after about 6 charges, which I do recall happening with my Evo 4G extended battery.

The only real downside is that she can't use the case she had anymore, since the battery is physically larger. She keeps complaining now that the phone is "too slippery". The new battery cover itself is a soft rubber with pretty good grip, but it's the sides of the phone that's giving her trouble. I figure if I can find a "bumper" for the phone, that might work. She doesn't really need a full case.. just something to go around the sides.

But yeah, the battery is pretty awesome so far. Before, she usually couldn't go 24 hours on a single charge... now, it's doing MUCH better. If you can get past the physical size (and the fact that any existing cases won't work with it), I'd say this is definitely worth considering.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Following up on the Verizon roaming chat two pages ago:

After the penultimate round of "Hi, we're Sprint. Our network sucks poo poo with speeds worse than 1xRTT and oh we're going to increase your bill! But don't leave, NETWORK VISION, NETWORK VISION, NETWORK VISION (in late 2013 at best)", I decided to load up a VZW PRL to get out of my contract. This was - two months ago?

Well, Sprint's roaming division is on the loving ball with this poo poo; I already got a call from them. The CS lady was very nice and told me that I used ~1GB of roaming data in a month compared to my previous month of 300MB on Sprint (which goes to show how loving lovely their towers are - my usage patterns were the exact same both months). If it helps anybody, she confirmed that the soft cap to get a call is 300MB of roaming data in one month per line.

Played dumb with her that I was having Sprint service issues, she talked me through putting my Evo 3D into Sprint-Only mode, and the conversation left off with her telling me that I can stay with Sprint or call back the roaming department at my discretion to be let out of my ETF and given a month to port out. And going forward, if I kept having high roaming usage, I wouldn't have a choice in the matter.

So yeah for all intents and purposes, I'm out of my ETF a year early. Hope the info helps!

In completely unrelated news, the new official Evo 3D MIUI builds are amazing. They switched to using a Sense 3.6 base instead of AOSP, so literally everything works. Well, 4G needs some framework stuff still, but having 3D in MIUI with amazing battery life is fantastic.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Did the newest update for the SGS3 add a brightness slider in the notification bar? I suddenly have one of those.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

brc64 posted:

Short answer: It's amazing
I just googled this. Wow it's loving huge. Anyone know of a decent battery for the Sprint Gnex that's > mAh than stock but not huge?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

falz posted:

I just googled this. Wow it's loving huge. Anyone know of a decent battery for the Sprint Gnex that's > mAh than stock but not huge?

I'm no expert on Galaxy Nexus batteries, but traditionally the options for Android phones have been gigantic batteries that make your phone look like a brick, or slightly higher rated batteries that are the same size as stock but often are lies and aren't really any better than stock.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Leathal posted:

Following up on the Verizon roaming chat two pages ago:

If the 300 MB soft cap thing is true, then I should be getting a call soon, too. I'm at about 400 MB halfway through this month, all of it roaming data. I still have a year left on my contract too, so if I get out of this, I might go to Straight Talk with a GNex until the iPhone 5 comes out (assuming I want it. Those leaked photos make it look pretty ugg).

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I considered the gnex + straight talk thing, but was scared off by the horror stories of people getting dropped from the service and losing their numbers, and the really low caps (70-100mb a day).

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

falz posted:

Also, if you need it that much you can always just buy a regular stock battery and switch between the two, or invest in a mobile rechargeable battery that'll work for all your devices.

Also a car charger just to charge while you drive can often make a huge difference.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

mugrim posted:

Also, if you need it that much you can always just buy a regular stock battery and switch between the two, or invest in a mobile rechargeable battery that'll work for all your devices.

Also a car charger just to charge while you drive can often make a huge difference.
I do have a car charger (2a monoprice USB charger is $3). I usually get stuck in 'lovely sprint coverage area' during a meeting or drinks or something where the phone is on 1x or roaming and just chugs through half of the battery in two hours.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Considering switching back to Sprint from Verizon for savings. What's the data and signal like in Silicon Valley of the Bay Area, if anyone can tell me? I'm assuming anything is going to be better than my current broken Galaxy Nexus that cycles service constantly on Verizon, but who knows.

Also, I'm out of contract on Verizon so I could switch freely if I chose to. Anyone mind giving me a quick rundown of what I want to look at / what phone to get?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Quidnose posted:

Considering switching back to Sprint from Verizon for savings. What's the data and signal like in Silicon Valley of the Bay Area, if anyone can tell me? I'm assuming anything is going to be better than my current broken Galaxy Nexus that cycles service constantly on Verizon, but who knows.

Also, I'm out of contract on Verizon so I could switch freely if I chose to. Anyone mind giving me a quick rundown of what I want to look at / what phone to get?

Your reasonable choices are the Galaxy Nexus, the Galaxy S III, and, to a lesser extent, the EVO LTE. Duckman posted like ten posts up that he might be able to get new Sprint subscribers a free Galaxy Nexus at the end of this week so you should probably keep that in mind.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Quidnose posted:

If you are not in a hurry I would wait until the LTE overhauls are done in your area. Right now Sprint is sucking data wise. If wasn't for the overhaul I would be switching to Verizon.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Did the newest update for the SGS3 add a brightness slider in the notification bar? I suddenly have one of those.

I hope so. I have yet to get the update but the s1 and s2 both did this and I was a little upset when the s3 did not

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Quidnose posted:

Yeah, big thing is no LTE on Sprint in your area. Look reviews of sprint coverage, but overall data speeds are lacking. It's getting better, here on the east coast it is pretty usable in cities, no so much data wise outside. I travel a lot, and can tell you most Sprint cities are definitely on the slow end speed wise (the worst being St Louis so far).

Voice wise I very rarely drop a call, not counting the S3's seemingly piss poor radio board (paging excess blarg, I meant to mention that issue in a S3 debate).

I'll hook ya up no problem if you need it, just make sure it's what you want. My email is Jimplaysdrums at Gmail.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
I'm on a SERO plan.

Can I go to a Sprint store and do my upgrade in person or should I do it online/over the phone? Would it be an exercise in banging my head against a wall?

Going from my EVO4G to either a EVOLTE or SGS3.

Krime fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Krime posted:

I'm on a SERO plan.

Can I go to a Sprint store and do my upgrade in person or should I do it online/over the phone? Would it be an exercise in banging my head against a wall?

Going from my EVO4G to either a EVOLTE or SGS3.

Just call the SERO number from the OP.

Jesus Christ, swift key literally guessed that sentence for me word for word. I did not type anything but just call.