Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenghisTron
Dec 5, 2005

i dont live to live homie

Woah, that's some bullshit. Poor girl. Hope she does tell it like it is now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
My favorite part from the press release

quote:

During the recent concert, a total of 230 staff members moved together. The difference in ‘determination’ that the T-ara members have talked about did not mean whether or not the members could stand on stage.

If someone becomes lazy, or self-centered, and thinks only of oneself, that performance has no reprieve but to suffer flaws, and that kind of stage shines only on the outside. On the inside exists only a shallow longing to ‘show’ something. That is what ‘determination’ means – determination for the stars and the staff members alike.

Hmm, I find it odd that whoever hacked 5 twitter accounts and made those false tweets about determination somehow inferred the actual internal conflicts between Hwayoung and the other T-ara members...

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Yeah I don't know why he would indirectly reference those "hacked" tweets but what do I know I'm not a CEO :p

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

She's pretty talented yeah? From what I've read, she seems to be the one of the most talent in T-ara right? Some other agency should pick her up, since she's already got an existing fanbase.

I also think this is pretty much the end for T-ara as a "top tier" k-pop group; this entire mess has been really ugly and honestly this is what they'll be remembered for. I don't think the stigma of this situation will ever go away.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

quote:

Ilgan Sports: The press release is a bit vague. It seems to have actually inflated the controversy.

Kim Kwang Soo: I can’t reveal everything. It’s the least amount of courtesy for the departing member. Please think carefully about who will be hurt if the truth is revealed.

-------

Ilgan Sports: If you go into a little more detail, would that not quell the controversy?

Kim Kwang Soo: There were so many issues, but I really do not want to shed light on any of them, so I am keeping quiet. There were many examples of yelling at the members and breaking down the teamwork. How would the T-ara members feel, who had trained for over three years? I hope this issue is not inflated any further, (Hwayoung) I hope you stay quiet.

:stare:

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 30, 2012

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

This was me when I read that interview

:unsmigghh:

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Jamesman posted:

I want to at least keep liking Hyomin, but right now I have no idea what the hell is going on and I have a feeling I'm going to end up hating her before this is all over.

Hwayoung just tweeted "...진실없는 사실들" which, if I'm translating right, means "That's some bullshit right there."

Yeah. Translated literally, it's "People without truth..." ie: you guys are a bunch of bullshitters.

Poor Hwayoung. I do sort of see where the conflict is coming from, though. Korea has this culture of emphasizing unity as a whole. IE: You should never ever fail the group. With professionals, that leads to some crazy rear end self-sacrifice that wouldn't be understandable for Westerners. I'm guessing because Eunjung, Jiyeon, and other T-ara members decided to go on despite their injuries, Hwayoung, who I am guessing opted out (totally reasonable, of course), became the "bad" team member.

And Hwayoung is the member that came in much later, right? Maybe this issue wasn't just the concert-injury issue becoming inflated? Possible jealously of the older members since she came in after Tara gained more fame?

EDIT: Gah, made a mistake reading that. It's actually more "Facts without truth" but yeah meaning is the same.

Archer2338 fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jul 30, 2012

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Holy poo poo, CCM.

http://www.allkpop.com/2012/07/ccm-reveals-the-dark-side-of-hwayoung-mudslinging-ensues

quote:

According to CCM, after their Budokan concert and return to Korea on July 27th, T-ara was preparing to go on stage for a live broadcast of KBS‘s ‘Music Bank‘. With only two groups before them left to go, Hwayoung suddenly decided that she did not want to perform on stage that day.

CCM had decided that due to her leg injury, Hwayoung would sit on a chair on stage for her rap segment, and so the girls had successfully completed their camera rehearsal before the broadcast. However, Hwayoung suddenly changed her mind and refused to go on stage with 2 groups left to go.

The agency stated that in order to prevent an accident on live TV, members Eunjung and Hyomin were pressed to learn Hwayoung’s rap segment in the short amount of time they had before their turn. With the new pressure, Hyomin was clearly nervous and ended up making a mistake during the rap segment.

On the way home, Hwayoung, in front of fans and reporters, threw down her crutches and sat on the floor, threatening to yell at the managers in public. It has also been revealed that Hwayoung has shown both fans and reporters a similar side to her, with unacceptable actions and behavior on the set of ‘Music Bank’.

CCM CEO Kim Kwang Soo stated, “We will not be revealing any more of Hwayoung’s similar behaviors outside of the ‘Music Bank’ incident because we do want to protect her. I am also sorrowed by the words left on Hwayoung’s Twitter.”

Translation, "Look at what a horrible person she is! Isn't she HORRIBLE??!? Oh, but we won't reveal anymore, to protect her image. :) "

GenghisTron
Dec 5, 2005

I guess this is what happens if she doesn't 'keep quiet.'

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
haha holy poo poo this is the meaning of thinly veiled threats. Come on Hwayoung, you don't have anything to lose. Throw some real mud. :allears:

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Pretty much, basically most of the fans have her back at this point and if she's going down, she could take CCM with her.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Archer2338 posted:

Yeah. Translated literally, it's "People without truth..." ie: you guys are a bunch of bullshitters.

Poor Hwayoung. I do sort of see where the conflict is coming from, though. Korea has this culture of emphasizing unity as a whole. IE: You should never ever fail the group. With professionals, that leads to some crazy rear end self-sacrifice that wouldn't be understandable for Westerners. I'm guessing because Eunjung, Jiyeon, and other T-ara members decided to go on despite their injuries, Hwayoung, who I am guessing opted out (totally reasonable, of course), became the "bad" team member.

And Hwayoung is the member that came in much later, right? Maybe this issue wasn't just the concert-injury issue becoming inflated? Possible jealously of the older members since she came in after Tara gained more fame?

Well, I think we can understand to a degree. Americans are no strangers to dealing with conformity and the pressure of going with the group, though I do know there are cultural differences to be had.

And yes, Hwayoung has been with the group less than 2 years, so you can infer an "originals bullying the newcomer" sort of ordeal from the whole thing. Makes you wonder what will happen with Areum and Dani.

qbert posted:

Holy poo poo, CCM.

http://www.allkpop.com/2012/07/ccm-reveals-the-dark-side-of-hwayoung-mudslinging-ensues

Translation, "Look at what a horrible person she is! Isn't she HORRIBLE??!? Oh, but we won't reveal anymore, to protect her image. :) "

It was never her image he wanted to protect.

You gotta love how childish he is AND how terrible a job he does. He says he doesn't want things to go any further, but then he does it himself. He tries to paint an example of the problems they had with Hwayoung, but it feels like such a huge lie that you side with her all the more and seems to just make you believe all the stuff he's trying to deny.

Really, if Hwayoung threw down her crutches and was causing a scene in the middle of Music Bank in front of the production and the audience, we would absolutely have heard about it before just now.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
I don't understand how Kim Kwangsoo successfully managed to become CEO and then run a giant company. His PR is so bad I can't think of an adequate analogy, and he also may be literally insane.

Also I'm usually not one for celebrity gossip, but I wish I could read what other idol groups are saying amongst themselves about this right now, or sit in on the media training sessions they're getting where this will be brought up. That must be loving fabulous :allears:

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

I would guess the staff complaints is a made up excuse to punish her for responding to her group mates on Twitter. After all, if she hadn't responded no one would have realized she was being bullied. Good on her for speaking up, but goddamn this is like something out of a Korean drama :stare:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Meanwhile, fans are demanding that Eunjung's run on We got Married come to an end immediately, as well as her upcoming role in a new drama be recast. A PD at SBS tweeted (then redacted) a comment saying he will no longer cast members of T-ara. Supposedly, the official fancafe for T-ara has become an anti-fancafe and are booting anyone who is still on T-ara's side, AND the majority of the tickets for their next concert have been returned.

People really don't like these girls right now.

GenghisTron
Dec 5, 2005

http://www.allkpop.com/2012/07/sbs-pd-states-he-will-no-longer-cast-t-ara-t-ara-concert-may-flop

quote:

Following the T-ara controversy with member Hwayoung being kicked out of the group, Hwayoung tweeted and implied that the situation presented to the public was, “facts without truth“. This resulted in a mudslinging contest, where CCM retaliated by revealing the dark side of Hwayoung. However, many believe that Hwayoung is falsely being put in a bad light and have stepped up to the plate.

An SBS PD, after seeing the controversy unfold, defended Hwayoung by tweeting that he would no longer cast T-ara.

It seems as though the tweet was deleted shortly afterwards, however it sparked yet another round of controversy with fans now leaning towards Hwayoung being the victim of bullying and unfair treatment.

Due to this controversy, it’s been reported that T-ara is also facing issues with their upcoming concert, as all but 600 tickets to their concert were returned.

poo poo is going DOWN. That's crazy about the concert tickets.

Selane
May 19, 2006

One of their Japanese staff tweeted:

quote:

Japanese T-ara staff tweet: I was a translator/assistant during T-ara's magazine shoot. Back then (around February), Hwayoung definitely did not talk to anyone. She was always calm. She didn't talk to the makeup artists or the other members. She only focused on her work. She always smiled at the staff. She left a good impression.

Also, their ads seem to be disappearing.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
She was made to feel like an outcast and gets punished and kicked out as a result. I just hope she can understand now that she's not alone and has a lot of people on her side who truly believe her, believe in her, and support her. :smith:

Times like this I wish I was a lot farther ahead in my Korean studies so I could form proper sentences. I'd try to tell her this myself. Archer go tell her this.

Selane
May 19, 2006

http://oniontaker.com/post/28323050539/t-ara-what-just-happened#axzz225xWistY
http://www.allkpop.com/2012/07/netizens-dig-up-evidence-of-hwayoung-being-bullied

While there's no excuse for the other members' behavior, I can't say it's surprising to see that there's tension when you take a group that's working fine and start jamming in new people for no reason.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

If I'm reading this right, Kim Kwang Soo is now offering to re-sign Hwayoung into T-ara if she begs for it. Guess he wasn't expecting a backlash, how can someone be so incompetent? :frogout:

And why is he still doing this in public, shouldn't he be privately offering her all of the money to claim it was a misunderstanding and come back at this point? He's got to know how badly he's screwed the pooch by now. Not that I actually want him to act rationally, because this still has some good drama left in it.

Sacro fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jul 30, 2012

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Her coming back and pretending like nothing ever happened wouldn't fix anything for her, though. If anything, things would just be worse.

She should just take some time to enjoy her freedom and have a nice vacation, then start talking to some companies that aren't nearly as incompetent.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
CCM is claiming that Hwayoung, despite being a maknae, acted "like a top star" or something. :psyduck:What the christ, Kim Kwangsoo? Maybe it's referring to her refusal to perform (only rap sitting down) during the concert, but jesus her leg was broken.

Seems the whole outcast thing happened when she entered. She tweeted "A wolf cannot fit in with a pack of dogs" last July, which is when she started being a Tara member.

A shame, really. I liked a few of the Tara members, especially in a variety setting.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Wow the backtracking has made this situation even more entertaining. Holy poo poo. In any other agency's hands, T-ara would probably be giving SNSD a run for their money in the k-pop world. That is one terribly run company. I'm pretty disappointed in the T-ara members myself, although I wonder how much of it is them just not liking her and how much of it is the toxic atmosphere.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

It's weird that the best thing that can come from this is T-Ara disbanding and leaving CCM.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Wow, Hwayoung has gained over 70,000 new twitter followers in the last 24 hours, and T-jinyo is over 225k members.

This pretty much sums up my feelings:

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

daaaaaayyyyaaaaam:

http://www.allkpop.com/2012/07/t-aras-former-back-up-dancer-claims-jiyeon-once-slapped-hwayoung

quote:

“I am a member of Hot Chicks, an exclusive dance team for T-ara, and am also working with Davichi, KARA, Brown Eyed Girls, Rainbow Pixie, and more.
It was around the time the Japanese concert took place. We were getting big with our “Lovey Dovey” shuffle dance after Hwayoung was admitted, and getting ready to perform “Roly Poly” for our year-end performance.

During one of the rehearsals, it was a situation where Kwang Soo had jam-packed our schedules, so both the dancers and the members of T-ara who had just completed their day’s work were extremely sensitive and on edge.

Still, everyone was mustering up their last bit of strength and practicing, when Hwayoung messed up a little bit of the choreography.

Seeing this, Jiyeon and Soyeon then sarcastically scoffed at her, saying, ‘Since you already decided to join, you should maybe work a little harder.’

Hwayoung then became a little depressed, but the dance leader mediated the situation and the rehearsal resumed.

But Hwayoung maintained an uncomfortable expression on her face, and Jiyeon who saw this slapped Hwayoung across the cheek and told her that because she had come in late to the already-established group T-ara, she needed to act sensibly and to rehearse without that expression on her face.

The atmosphere became extremely tense, and Hyomin took Jiyeon outside, telling her that she should just be the bigger person.

Even after Hwayoung’s ‘exposure’ incident, everyone was indifferent towards her, rather than comforting.

After the incident, T-ara went on hiatus to prepare for “Day By Day” and because of events with Davichi and Brown Eyed Girls, I could only see T-ara on TV.

Seeing them on the small-screen, I thought that the girls’ relationship with Hwayoung had improved, but these girls who are all grown don’t want to sit by her in the car so they blatantly play rock paper scissors right in front of her face.”

Wow, this is like the gift that keeps on giving. Lots of people coming out in support of Hwayoung. I'm wondering if the normal populace has to deal with bullying on a daily basis and they just have to endure that poo poo and are now lashing out. I'm honestly surprised at the level of hate T-ara is getting. Although I wonder how much of it is attributed to the press release of CCM blaming Hwayoung. I bet if they just stated "we have decided to part ways" and no explanation given, it would have been much, much better.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Such a poor girl, it seems there's a conspiracy in the industry to just constantly stomp on her. She's probably so used to being treated like poo poo that this is just another day for her. I hope she gets picked up elsewhere and finds a group to work with who will treat her with dignity.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

:stare: Holy poo poo. Bye T-Ara.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

You know, the ironic thing is that KKS might have been *right* about T-ara, regarding them being prideful and disrespectful a few months back. Now when push came to shove, he stuck with his moneymakers, but drat what if he was right all along?

Was there ever a TV drama about idol drama? Because this poo poo is entertaining as all hell.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008

Lyer posted:

Was there ever a TV drama about idol drama? Because this poo poo is entertaining as all hell.

The Greatest Love.

I generally don't get by the first few episodes in kdramas, but this drama is fantastic.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Yep, Greatest Love is fantastic. The main heroine used to be in a huge idol group, but they disbanded, and because of rumors that she bullied the other members, she's been hated and looked down upon by the public ever since.

Seems kind of prescient now.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
edit:

reflir fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 31, 2012

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Onto non depressing news, looks like someone has taken the liberty of encoding the DDD subs of IC's Pimple Break special and uploading them onto a stream for us:

http://www.daebaksubs.com/2012/07/eng-infinity-challenge-ep-158-159.html#more

I can't vouch for the quality (it's on facebook), but for those who don't want to hunt down the video file, it's here. This site also has some other stuff subbed as well, if you want to check it out.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Anyone who wants to get into IC, Pimple Break are a great set of episodes to start on. It starts off a little slow, but builds to an insane finale full of crazy twists, backstabs, and pretty much the best parts of Korean variety.

pLEH
May 19, 2009

Lyer posted:

I can't vouch for the quality (it's on facebook), but for those who don't want to hunt down the video file, it's here. This site also has some other stuff subbed as well, if you want to check it out.

I'm not sure if it's just me (I have a sneaking suspicion it is since I can't see anyone else commenting on it) but whenever I try to watch the episode through the Facebook links, the audio and video become out of sync. If anyone has any solutions, please let me know!

Video quality isn't the greatest but it's still fine to watch.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I haven't noticed that much audio/video lag, if it's there it's about half a second or something I can barely tell.

e:

qbert posted:

Anyone who wants to get into IC, Pimple Break are a great set of episodes to start on. It starts off a little slow, but builds to an insane finale full of crazy twists, backstabs, and pretty much the best parts of Korean variety.

Ironically, I actually like the non special episodes better than the specials. I think it's because they're all in the same vein as Ji Suk Jin; hilarious in a sit down/just talking situation. The episodes where it's more reality than variety are the more entertaining ones to me, wrestling arc, westcoast highway music festival, SM audition. I don't know if it's because I didn't really know the cast when I first started starting the IC specials that I couldn't get into it. Now that I'm more familiar with the "characters" and running jokes, maybe I'll enjoy the specials a bit more. I will say that this series is really daunting to get into, there's not a lot of self contained episodes and each ep is vastly different from the next in terms of format.

Lyer fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 31, 2012

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Lyer posted:

daaaaaayyyyaaaaam:

http://www.allkpop.com/2012/07/t-aras-former-back-up-dancer-claims-jiyeon-once-slapped-hwayoung

Wow, this is like the gift that keeps on giving. Lots of people coming out in support of Hwayoung. I'm wondering if the normal populace has to deal with bullying on a daily basis and they just have to endure that poo poo and are now lashing out. I'm honestly surprised at the level of hate T-ara is getting. Although I wonder how much of it is attributed to the press release of CCM blaming Hwayoung. I bet if they just stated "we have decided to part ways" and no explanation given, it would have been much, much better.

Yeah, Korean schools have a -lot- of bullying problems (especially nowadays), so I think majority of the Korean populace can relate personally to Hwayoung.
From what I read, it seems like Hyomin, Eunjung, and Jiyeon are being mentioned (since they're the most popular, I guess). Are the other members in this bullying thing as well? What about that newest member (aram? or whatever)?

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

Archer2338 posted:

Yeah, Korean schools have a -lot- of bullying problems (especially nowadays), so I think majority of the Korean populace can relate personally to Hwayoung.
From what I read, it seems like Hyomin, Eunjung, and Jiyeon are being mentioned (since they're the most popular, I guess). Are the other members in this bullying thing as well? What about that newest member (aram? or whatever)?

Nothing about the new people or Qri, Soyeon's name has been mentioned a fair amount though.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Lyer posted:

daaaaaayyyyaaaaam:

Fortunately(?) this and the other rumor about Jiyeon striking a trainee both turned out to be false; idiot netizens making up stories, that's what it is. The leader of the supposed dance team made a public statement saying that the practice area was opened to the public so slapping was out of the question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

Archer2338 posted:

Fortunately(?) this and the other rumor about Jiyeon striking a trainee both turned out to be false; idiot netizens making up stories, that's what it is. The leader of the supposed dance team made a public statement saying that the practice area was opened to the public so slapping was out of the question.

On the other hand, the police issued a statement saying Kim Kwang Soo lied about having filed a report/having the police trace the IP of the person who posted as the backup dancer. He's really not having a good week.

• Locked thread