Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Magical Unicorn
Mar 21, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
nevermind.

A Magical Unicorn fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jul 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

PI isn't a one-stop validation station. What was the point in asking for advice if you're too proud/whatever to take it?

Hey Girl
Sep 24, 2004
A few days ago was my dog's first bath. We went outside and I got the hose and she was not at all even a little bit happy with it or me and it was not a fun time for either of us. :( I managed to get her cleaned up but she was pretty obviously miserable the whole time.

Should I try again in a bathtub instead of with a hose outside or just leave it to some one who does this professionally?

guarded by bees
Apr 26, 2010
I took mine in the tub with me and gave him cookies while the water ran (but didn't get him wet). The next day I did the same thing, but soaped him up while giving him cookies and it seemed to work okay. He whined a little bit because it was uncomfortable, but he doesn't seem nervous about the sound of the water so far. Maybe something like that might help? Making bathtime = YAY COOKIES?

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003
THINKS HE IS BEST AT DOGS (is actually worst at dogs!!!)
Smear peanut butter along the side of the tub, or have him lick it off a spatula while you get him wet and rub him down (best with two people). Use super high value special treats for bath time and they'll have a blast. If I say "bathtime" my dog literally jumps into the tub.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Yuncemil posted:

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere- I have searched and read through what is already here, but all the info seems to apply to puppies.

I have a Brittney that I recently got from the Humane Society. He is about 2 years old. He is generally a good dog but we have recently had a few issues with his housetraining. At this point I should add that his previous owner had dementia, lived in an apartment and pretty much never took him out. I have no idea what she encouraged or at least did not discourage.

When we first got him, he pooped on the floor in our spare bedroom. We thought this could be because the house was new and he did indeed stop doing it. On Tuesday just gone, we took him to the vet and got him neutered. Since then, he has been peeing and pooping on the floor in the spare room again almost every day. I have done some reading and we will get some enzyme remover but otherwise I am not sure what else to do. Take today for example:

He went for a walk first thing this morning. He "marked his territory" as he went but nothing more. He spent most of the day tied on his chain in the yard (we have a chain attached to the washing line so he can run around outside in nice weather). He then went for another walk in the early afternoon. Between about 8am and 2pm he spent most of the day outside. On both his walks, we took him to grassy areas and stayed there for a while hoping he would poop. We took him to quiet areas so there would be no stimuli to distract him. Nothing. Eventually we came back and he came inside because it was hot out. Within about 45 minutes he had both peed and pooped on the floor. Like he was holding it.

Most information seems to be about how to housetrain a puppy. He doesn't need to go every 3 hours and holy poo poo can he hold it if he wants to. We carry treats to reward him pooping outside, but he holds it in. Not that he likes food that much- he eats treats but doesn't care enough to work for them. We also try praise and whatever else we can think of. How do we go about :

A) Getting him to go outside?
B) Getting him not to go inside?

Once we have this down, we will train him to ring a bell or something but until then, we need to teach him what he would be ringing the bell for. Any suggestions?

Oh and here is the dog in question, though he has been groomed a fair bit since this picture!

I'd also suggest if at all possible removing her access to areas she likes to eliminate in. Use a baby gate or close the door when you aren't directly supervising.

yahboy_goku
Jul 13, 2006

Depending on what her vet says about her, I'm adopting this bitch tomorrow

Does anyone have insight as to what she is? I'm thinking that she's a jack russell mixed with a beagle. The shelter she stays at is either clueless or doesn't want to say. She's an adult and weighs about 30 pounds.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

Menu Express posted:

Does anyone have insight as to what she is? I'm thinking that she's a jack russell mixed with a beagle. The shelter she stays at is either clueless or doesn't want to say. She's an adult and weighs about 30 pounds.

My best guess is Beagle/Pit mix. Most shelters will refuse to acknowledge the Pit part. Hard to tell from just that one picture though.

Yuncemil
Jul 18, 2006

Wie sagt man "olol" auf Deutsch?
Thanks to all those who provided advice so far. We are working on it! The door to that room has been closed for a while now. He did go outside today (we had him at a family gathering today) and we gave him plenty of treats. Hope this can keep making a difference!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Menu Express posted:

I can definitely see JRT in that face, body and tail. Not sure about beagle though.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
This is Barney:

He's just over 4 months old, a German Shepard/Lab/? mix and doing pretty well. He started training classes this past weekend, and the trainer is following the same book my wife got (clicker training). That's going well: sit, down, stand, etc are his bitch. We're still working on getting him to pay attention when he doesn't want to, but that's just Puppy A.D.D. I think.

Our biggest issue with Barney right now is his love of biting. These aren't generally aggressive bites, but either teething or nipping/playing style bites .These hurt people, and we are both starting to look like we (the wife and I) play in rose bushes all the time. Our hands, stomachs, legs, knees, toes, ankles, etc are all good targets. We've tried all the tricks we can so far, stand up, walk away (he bites you as you go); put something else in his mouth (he mostly ignores it for fingers). Bitter apple doesn't help either. We don't want to put him in his crate as punishment, it's supposed to be his safe place. Any suggestions?

The other issue is his energy level. We're doing our best to wear him out. He plays in the back yard (solo and with us) 6-10 times a day, anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour each time, probably a total of 2.5 hours a day. We take him for 2-3 walks a day (30 minutes to 45 minutes, .5 to 1 mile). He just doesn't seem to tire, all of this is "more than recommended" activity for a puppy his age. When he gets all hyper, the previous issue happens, and we get bit. What are some good/safe/well behaved ways to tire this dog out without killing ourselves or him (it's really been a hot summer).

Thanks for any suggestions.

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003

Gerdalti posted:

This is Barney

For the biting - put a stick of butter in the freezer. Rub it on your hands and arms before interacting. This will encourage licking and should be praised heavily. In addition, tether him to something sturdy so he can't continue the game as you disengage.

For the energy issues, look into some treat toys. Frozen kongs with kibble inside are also good. Consider feeding out of these as well. These are good mental stimulators that should wear out his brain.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

MrFurious posted:

For the biting - put a stick of butter in the freezer. Rub it on your hands and arms before interacting. This will encourage licking and should be praised heavily. In addition, tether him to something sturdy so he can't continue the game as you disengage.

For the energy issues, look into some treat toys. Frozen kongs with kibble inside are also good. Consider feeding out of these as well. These are good mental stimulators that should wear out his brain.

Interesting (and messy) suggestion. Worth a shot. Thanks.

We actually feed him out of one of those food balls. It helps, but only some, it's mostly stopped the "eat all my food in 3 seconds" thing. It takes him about 5 minutes to go through his full serving (he's on 2.5 cups a day, 1 at breakfast and dinner, .5 at lunch).

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003

Gerdalti posted:

Interesting (and messy) suggestion. Worth a shot. Thanks.

We actually feed him out of one of those food balls. It helps, but only some, it's mostly stopped the "eat all my food in 3 seconds" thing. It takes him about 5 minutes to go through his full serving (he's on 2.5 cups a day, 1 at breakfast and dinner, .5 at lunch).

You might consider something a little harder -- we graduated to this one eventually. Extremely durable, for what it's worth.
http://www.amazon.com/Omega-Paw-Tricky-Treat-Large/dp/B0002DK26M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1343662846&sr=8-2&keywords=dog+treat+ball

On the topic of eating, I was talking to some vets recently and they suggested that people using raised food bowls to prevent bloat in larger breeds actually seems to increase the risk, rather than reduce it. Vets -- any input here?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Ya, there's been a few studies that showed a raised bowl has been associated with GDV.

This is one of the more regularly cited ones. There was also one out of Purdue in 2002,
"Non-Dietary Risk Factors for Gastric Dilatation-Volvulus in Large and Giant Breed Dogs" Glickman et al., 2000.

Glickman's study also found that being older, eating faster, and having a relative that had GDV (in addition to the raised bowl) were found to increase the risk.

The downside of the study is that there could be some confounding factors - as an example, if the dog's parents bloated, what if the client tried raising the dish to prevent it and the dog ended up bloating? Was it the genetic component, or was it the dish?

There's still discussion on what dish height means - 1 inch? 12 inches?

However the current recommendation is to NOT use an elevated bowl.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
So I thought that my dog just hated her crate because enough value wasn't built into it, but it turns out she values the drat thing just fine when I'm around, and is already on phase 2 of crate games. She will go into her crate, accept a treat with the door open, call her to come out, she'll come out and go back in without me saying anything. She whines forever at night though, will urinate almost immediately sometimes, and claw and dig at her cage for sometimes hours. Thus it's separation anxiety.

So now I've been giving her a kong with peanut butter, leaving the room for short periods of time, and slowly trying to bring her back into understanding that me leaving is not a big deal at all. Is this the best way to go about it? I've considered moving her crate into my room so she knows I'm around, but that just seems to be a solution to me sleeping but not a solution to her anxiety.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Is there a link to crate games?

guarded by bees
Apr 26, 2010
Breakthrough! We were having some inappropriate peeing issues for a few days, and yesterday he started asking to be let out by running up to the back door and making a noise (usually a quick yip). When I took him out, he'd run to his potty spot, have a pee, then come back up to go inside. I am so proud of him!

He's also starting to get "give" and "sit" down. Sitting is easy, he sits whenever he's trying to pay attention, if I'm talking, or if I have something he wants. Give is much harder, but he's getting the hang of it. I'm giving him a toy, letting him play with it for a while, then I trade him for a treat. When he drops the toy I say "give" and immediately treat him. Is this a good way to keep going about it? Is there a better way?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Veskit posted:

So I thought that my dog just hated her crate because enough value wasn't built into it, but it turns out she values the drat thing just fine when I'm around, and is already on phase 2 of crate games. She will go into her crate, accept a treat with the door open, call her to come out, she'll come out and go back in without me saying anything. She whines forever at night though, will urinate almost immediately sometimes, and claw and dig at her cage for sometimes hours. Thus it's separation anxiety.

So now I've been giving her a kong with peanut butter, leaving the room for short periods of time, and slowly trying to bring her back into understanding that me leaving is not a big deal at all. Is this the best way to go about it? I've considered moving her crate into my room so she knows I'm around, but that just seems to be a solution to me sleeping but not a solution to her anxiety.

You could try moving her up to your room for a bit. Sometimes you just need to try to find something that works so you can start laying the groundwork for good behaviour (like not fussing in the crate) and then you can wean off the reliance on you. Or maybe it'll continue to be an issue - it's tough to say until you try a few different things. So far it sounds like you're doing well. The anxiety may be quelled once she's more secure in her daily routine.

tonic316 posted:

Is there a link to crate games?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebjBo_spqG0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8HNO79bZMY

The full video is sold online by Susan Garrett.

guarded by bees posted:

Breakthrough! We were having some inappropriate peeing issues for a few days, and yesterday he started asking to be let out by running up to the back door and making a noise (usually a quick yip). When I took him out, he'd run to his potty spot, have a pee, then come back up to go inside. I am so proud of him!

He's also starting to get "give" and "sit" down. Sitting is easy, he sits whenever he's trying to pay attention, if I'm talking, or if I have something he wants. Give is much harder, but he's getting the hang of it. I'm giving him a toy, letting him play with it for a while, then I trade him for a treat. When he drops the toy I say "give" and immediately treat him. Is this a good way to keep going about it? Is there a better way?

It sounds like your "give" training is going well. It's good that you're waiting until he drops it to give your cue - if you were saying before he drops it then you're not showing the association between the word and the action.

In my classes, we use a similar method. We will play with a tug toy with the dog. When we want the dogs to drop it we'll DROP THE TOY and just hold the dog's collar so he can't run away with it. The toy is no longer fun 'cause you're not attached to the other end* The dog should then drop it, you mark it with a "yes" or a click and the "give" cue and then RESUME PLAY. The key here is that giving up the toy is no big deal since he gets to continue playing with it after he listens (and sometimes gets a bonus tasty treat out of the deal). You don't want your "give" cue to become heavily associated with loss since your dog will be more likely to blow you off when he has something really valuable to him.

* For dogs who continue playing with it despite you not touching it you can put a treat on their nose to get the first few repetitions.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Veskit posted:

I second that you should try moving her crate. We have solved minor separation anxiety problems with our dog by moving the crate's location twice. The first time was when we just got our dog and we had her in our room. She was so keyed up by any noise we made that she wouldn't sleep and just barked all night. So we moved her to a different room and that fixed that.

Later, we moved to a house and put her in an empty room we didn't use for anything else. She came to hate her crate and wouldn't go in. So we moved her to the living room and redid the crate games and she was very happy then.

Your dog just may be more comfortable being near you or in a more trafficked area of the house.

You can also try covering the crate and playing music/white noise, if you don't already.

Yuncemil
Jul 18, 2006

Wie sagt man "olol" auf Deutsch?
So for those following what I posted a page or so back... what do we do overnight? The last time we know he went poop was about 2:45 yesterday afternoon. He has not been away from us since. This means he has not pooped for 31 hours now. We are taking him outside at least once an hour to see if he will go but he isn't. Unless he goes in the next hour or two, my wife and I are both going to have to go to bed. What do we do with him overnight?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

guarded by bees posted:

Wow, sounds like you're doing really well with him. Make sure you take tons of video, you'll be glad you did in a year!

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003

Yuncemil posted:

So for those following what I posted a page or so back... what do we do overnight? The last time we know he went poop was about 2:45 yesterday afternoon. He has not been away from us since. This means he has not pooped for 31 hours now. We are taking him outside at least once an hour to see if he will go but he isn't. Unless he goes in the next hour or two, my wife and I are both going to have to go to bed. What do we do with him overnight?

Crate. If you can't crate, at least confine in a cleanup area unless you're willing to take the risk.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

MrFurious posted:

Crate. If you can't crate, at least confine in a cleanup area unless you're willing to take the risk.

Crating is almost an absolute must for unhousetrained older dogs.

Keep in mind that older dogs (I'd say year and a half+) don't need to crap nearly as often as a puppy would - once a day to a day and a half is normal depending on what they eat.

Kind of like a watched pot doesn't boil thing....don't stress too much.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Take the dog for a jog, it stimulates the bowels. I once had a foster that held it in for three days because her system was so messed up from her terrible allergies she had explode butt the first few days with us. As soon as,she could hold it, she did. Took about an hour and around 2-3 miles to finally get her to go but we all felt better for it. :)

guarded by bees
Apr 26, 2010

Ikantski posted:

Wow, sounds like you're doing really well with him. Make sure you take tons of video, you'll be glad you did in a year!

We're doing okay. The week was pretty rough, and I feel like I'm failing him somehow, but the potty stuff makes me really really happy. He'll run to the door 4/5 times, and when he needs to have his 4am poo he yips once in his crate and waits. He runs SO FAST to the door, does a dance because he has to go so desperately, then rushes back to me when he's done and makes a sleepy face.

The biggest issue we're having lately is inappropriate chewing and he's been a little barkey when he's frustrated or assertive. I am trying to curb this with distraction, but I'm worried that I'm encouraging or further frustrating him.

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003

guarded by bees posted:

We're doing okay. The week was pretty rough, and I feel like I'm failing him somehow, but the potty stuff makes me really really happy. He'll run to the door 4/5 times, and when he needs to have his 4am poo he yips once in his crate and waits. He runs SO FAST to the door, does a dance because he has to go so desperately, then rushes back to me when he's done and makes a sleepy face.

The biggest issue we're having lately is inappropriate chewing and he's been a little barkey when he's frustrated or assertive. I am trying to curb this with distraction, but I'm worried that I'm encouraging or further frustrating him.

Bratty barking should be ignored. Put on your best snooty face, make like a tree and stare at the ceiling.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

guarded by bees posted:

4/5 is awesome, mine didn't indicate at all until he was about 6 months but I work from home so I just took him outside at least once an hour.

Try him on an antler, mine loves them and they last forever.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

So I tried doing the kong in the crate while leaving and coming back thing and she made no progress, awesome. Next I tried making a larger area for her to roam by puting up 2 baby gates in an enclosed area, and that failed miserably too. Awesome. THEN I put her in the bathroom, with no crate and she was inexplicably quiet. I thought huh that's funny. After I let her out we went to teh dog park for the first time because she hasn't been socializing at all due to all the bad things happening to her to tire her out, took her home and put her in the bathroom with her pillow and a kong and she was quiet all night, and passed out. Didn't even pee.

I think the pound just made her hate anything with a grate. I don't even care if this is bad training since she's quiet, not anxious and not peeing.

Onwards to the next puppy steps, socializing, heeling and more tricks!

Here's the pooch tired, and with far less wounds on her face.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Veskit posted:

I don't even care if this is bad training since she's quiet, not anxious and not peeing.

It's not. Whatever works for your dog is the best training.

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo

Veskit posted:

I think the pound just made her hate anything with a grate. I don't even care if this is bad training since she's quiet, not anxious and not peeing.[/URL]

If she's happy in the bathroom I don't really see a problem. You can keep the crate training going really slow and use the bathroom in the mean time.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

This is Emery, my 1-year old toy poodle pup. I adopted him from a friend who is moving out of the country and cannot take Emery with him.

I've always had a great relationship with Emery, and I've played him a lot since he was a few weeks old, so he trusts me completely. My friend was a little slack with the training, though, so he does have a few bad habits, some of which, as I understand it, is typical of smaller dogs.

The first is that he gets spooked easily and is very yappy when he gets scared. The broom, vacuum, RC cars, neighbor's dog barking, the door opening, someone going up and down the stair too loudly, will all trigger a 15-30 second barking fit.

The second is that he won't alert me when he has to pee or poop. He is currently only allowed to roam in my study and bedroom which are connected together, and he will often just "go" without any warning whatsoever. He seems to understand fine that he is supposed to potty outside, as he will go within a minute of being let out into the yard. I've been treating him liberally when he does, but after a month, he is still going inside on our potted plants.

The final problem is that he can't be left alone. As I later found out, my friend would often leave him home for a few hours at a time without easing him up to it. So now he almost never leaves my side. He gets along with the rest of the family fine, but if he sees/hears me leaving the house, he will let out this whining howl/bark that will apparently will continue intermittently for an hour or two, even when he is being held or watched by my family members. He also hates being left alone in the car, and he can recognize when I'm parking, so he preemptively starts this shrill barking before I even leave the car. As one of my family members is quite ill, I can't leave him alone at night to bark his little head off, which means that I can't really go anywhere after 9, after my family goes to sleep.

So far, I've done some crate training, and he likes his crate just fine, except when I'm not right beside it, or he thinks I'm about to walk away. I've tried frozen kongs, deer antlers, treat balls etc., but he has zero interest in them if he think I'm going to leave (or have left). Covering the crate and turning on the radio only seems to aggravate him more. I exercise him about 20 minutes a day (brisk walk), as he is quite small (5 pounds) and has fairly low energy when he isn't barking up a storm. Completely checks out health wise as well. My immediate concern is the not being left alone thing, it's making me feel I'm the one being confined every night.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Well if you read through my post you can see everything that happened with me, with a poodle, with the same issues except less severe.

These videos helped me out a bit, so try that first.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyFKFW1jW9g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z9JTKMFlu4

buttslave
Jun 8, 2007
Onwards and Upwards!
Hey all, I´ve got a bit of an issue with a new dog:

So, about a month ago, we took in a stray:

(on the left)

She´s super sweet and affectionate and was incredibly calm, reserved, and chill as poo poo the first week we had her. However, one day I had to take a day-trip out of town and my siblings had to work doubles that day and the dog went nuts. She ate through a 2-inch thick masonite door, bent the aluminum kick-guard, dug up some plants outside, ran back in (as evidenced by the dirt-prints everywhere) and destroyed some pillows. Obviously, we were quite shocked as she apparently just snapped and our other dogs (the lazy shits in the picture) are completely fine when we leave for any amount of time.

Anywho, 300bux in vet bills and door repairs later, and she was started on anxiety meds (30mg/12hrs). I started taking her on 45-minute jogs/walks a day(that never seem to tire her out), bought some toys to occupy her when we´re asleep, reading up on seperation anxiety, and started on clicker training. All of this seemed to help until about two weeks into treatment she demolished an entire couch and table while we were out for lunch. The vet then reccomended crating while we were out and while we sleep but she howls/whines/bends and thrashes against the bars.

The vet is at a loss now, and I move to an apartment in the next two weeks to start with school again. Obviously, I can´t afford to keep replacing destroyed furniture/infrastructure and I´m running out of ideas. I don´t want to admit defeat/be a poo poo-heel and try to re-home her, but I think the smaller space is going to be torture on her and exacerbate her issues. Basically, I´m struggling with "I really like this dog and want to keep her" and "Maybe I´m not the best person for this animal/she deserves better". Is there anything else I can do for her?

buttslave fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 1, 2012

Matty D
Sep 27, 2005
I got a dog that I introduced in here a couple weeks ago. The first week, she was super chill. She was learning very quickly, and overall, super well behaved. Last week, I went on a vacation for 7 days and left her at home with the GF. Apparently while I was gone she got sick and was put on some meds from the vet, and instructed to not play or have walks for 2 weeks.

This is killing this dog. She's chewing everything. She doesn't pay attention / respond to me. Her learning is completely stunted.

Is this me being gone for a weeks, the meds, the lack of exercise, or probably all of the above? Do you think it will get better once she can go to the park and run around a bit? I'm only worried because I don't want this difficult stretch of time to develop a gamut of bad behavioral habits for her that will continue into the future.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

buttslave posted:

Hey all, I´ve got a bit of an issue with a new dog:

:words:

The destructive behavior certainly can be separation anxiety, or it could be that something happens that scares the crap out of her - or something else entirely. Regardless, it's unfortunate that she seemed to be doing okay and then had another incident.

If your normal vet is at a loss, maybe they know of a veterinary behaviorist nearby? If your vet doesn't have a preference, here's a list of board certified behaviorists: http://www.dacvb.org/resources/find/

The downside is that you're moving in two weeks. These types of things (desensitization, counter conditioning, new meds, etc.) can take much, much longer than two weeks - as an example, where I went to school the behavior folks would schedule 1 month rechecks. Sometimes the animals would be much improved by that point, but sometimes they wouldn't be.

If you are really intent on pursuing behavior therapy, trying to set up some sort of video recording system while you're out to see what happens when you're gone can be extremely useful.

buttslave
Jun 8, 2007
Onwards and Upwards!

HelloSailorSign posted:

some good poo poo

Thanks! If anybody has any more resources for the Austin TX area I'd greatly appreciate it. I'll look into taking her to that behaviorist in College Station.

Also, it seems a local no-kill offers resources for keeping animals in their homes :
http://www.austinpetsalive.org/get-pet-help/pass/

Seems like a sweet program - I'll call them tomorrow.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Matty D posted:

This is killing this dog. She's chewing everything. She doesn't pay attention / respond to me. Her learning is completely stunted.

Is this me being gone for a weeks, the meds, the lack of exercise, or probably all of the above? Do you think it will get better once she can go to the park and run around a bit? I'm only worried because I don't want this difficult stretch of time to develop a gamut of bad behavioral habits for her that will continue into the future.

She is probably bored out of her skull and will get better once she is back to normal exercise. In the meantime do lots of training and puzzle toys to wear her out mentally. If she's totally blowing you off she can stay on a leash attached to you around the house until she remembers you exist. Feed her meals in things like kongs, wobblers, treat balls, etc or use them in training.

It's only 2 weeks, it shouldn't do any permanent damage.

buttslave posted:

Thanks! If anybody has any more resources for the Austin TX area I'd greatly appreciate it. I'll look into taking her to that behaviorist in College Station.

Also, it seems a local no-kill offers resources for keeping animals in their homes :
http://www.austinpetsalive.org/get-pet-help/pass/

Seems like a sweet program - I'll call them tomorrow.

Definitely reach out to other professionals. A vet behaviorist is so valuable when you have a dog with issues. If you haven't already pick up Don't Leave Me and start working on those exercises as well.

Keep in mind psych meds can take 4-6 weeks to fully kick in and sometimes you have to try several to find the one that works for your dog. My dog couldn't stay on prozac but he's on zoloft now and it works great. A vet behaviorist will be able to guide you through that much better than your regular vet.

Matty D
Sep 27, 2005

Instant Jellyfish posted:

She is probably bored out of her skull and will get better once she is back to normal exercise. In the meantime do lots of training and puzzle toys to wear her out mentally. If she's totally blowing you off she can stay on a leash attached to you around the house until she remembers you exist. Feed her meals in things like kongs, wobblers, treat balls, etc or use them in training.

I bought her a Wobbler and she has shown zero interest in it, which is another source of my stress. Showed her there was food in it, I demonstrated to her how it falls out trying to bait her into using it, I even tried shaping her into using it by clicking and treating her when she recognizes it's existence. Nothing worked.

any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
So I am picking up my puppy when he is 10 weeks old. Reason being is I go on a 3 day vacation out of state around his 9 week mark and don't feel is appropriate for someone else to take care of a puppy while I am gone. My concern is all of his brothers and sisters are being taken by their owners around the 6-7 week mark of their age. Is that going to mess anything up as far as he goes? He will basically be with just his mother from weeks 7-10.