Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.

LastInLine posted:

I seriously doubt you ruined the SIM. I don't even know if that's a thing that happens.

Good to know. Is there an alternate explanation for my phone being unable to read the SIM? I can't think of any reason it wouldn't be able to read it; I haven't touched it other than removing it and putting it back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

mushi posted:

Good to know. Is there an alternate explanation for my phone being unable to read the SIM? I can't think of any reason it wouldn't be able to read it; I haven't touched it other than removing it and putting it back in.

If your SIM isn't recognized, take it out and reflash the firmware, then reinsert it once that's done.

As for the boot screen still showing i9000, it shouldn't if you flashed the stock firmware. It may fix itself once you flash it again to fix the SIM card.

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
Hmm, okay, I tried re-flashing it with a one-click-stock executable java file which works, but the GT i9000 still pops first. I'm not sure I understand the technical details to figure out what the problem is. In what order do things load on a device like this? Is there a BIOS version that I may have flashed with the heimdall program that is not the kernel? After the GT i9000 logo loads, the kernel loads normally. I have gotten the stock vibrant kernel on boot and also the devil kernel after trying to re-install V9 for the CM10 mod for the Vibrant. So I think the program I'm using to get back to stock isn't flashing all of the firmware, but I'm unsure of what isn't getting replaced back to stock to fix it.

In terms of symptoms, I still can't get to download mode without the dongle - pressing the volume keys and the power key does nothing except boot the phone up as normal. So whatever firmware controls the volume keys when the power to the device is off - that isn't getting flashed back to stock. I'm sort of assuming and praying that that firmware is also the reason my SIM card is not reading.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
I didn't think JB would make such a big difference on my Fassy. I was wrong. Holy poo poo it's so slick, there's like no transition times at all (after a couple tweaks).

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
Okay, so upon further research, my understanding is that the "bootloader" is the firmware that runs before the kernel loads up and is what is causing the Samsung i9000 logo to show up first.

Would the bootloader affect whether my phone can read the SIM card or not?

I found this thread for stock Vibrant bootloaders. My next question is, does it matter that they don't have the bootloader for the stock version of Eclair that the vibrant starts with. Do I need to flash the right bootloader plus the associated froyo or gingerbread rom to get it workable again?

I mean, I guess I'll just try all this different poo poo and see what I get manage to get to work.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

mushi posted:

Okay, so upon further research, my understanding is that the "bootloader" is the firmware that runs before the kernel loads up and is what is causing the Samsung i9000 logo to show up first.
Quite probably.

mushi posted:

Would the bootloader affect whether my phone can read the SIM card or not?
Possibly, that might be more related to having flashed an I9000 radio firmware though.

Here, do this:

1. Follow these instructions to a full Odin flash of the JFD firmware (which includes bootloader and radio) onto the device. This will convince your phone it's actually a Vibrant again.

2. Perform an official update to the Froyo KB5 firmware. A stock tar would work too, but I haven't found one that hasn't been modified. So just do the official method. This will put you on the lastest official software.

At this point confirm everything works and you're happy again.

3. Optionally follow the CyanogenMod Full Update Guide to install CM7, CM9, whichever you want, on your Vibrant. Make sure to download the "vibrantmtd" version, since that's the device you have.

mushi posted:

I mean, I guess I'll just try all this different poo poo and see what I get manage to get to work.
That's sort of how you got into this mess (sorry!) to begin with, and I'm surprised it hasn't led to a brick yet.

Edit: Updated step 1 link to a guide that has working links, grah!

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 28, 2012

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Edit; just found that this post was redundant as information already mentioned in Android Support Group thread. Nothing to see here.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 28, 2012

mushi
Oct 13, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That's sort of how you got into this mess (sorry!) to begin with, and I'm surprised it hasn't led to a brick yet.

Edit: Updated step 1 link to a guide that has working links, grah!
Ha! Yeah, I got into this mess fooling around with it and trying to go to CM10 right off the bat, but I accepted the risks. It's educational and my phone is near the end of its life cycle, so even if I totally break it, I won't lose any sleep. I'd rather learn on this thing than my nexus 7, to be honest.

Anyway, as an update, the JFD stock flash didn't fix the bootloader problem - apparently that package does not include the bootloader. But the bootloaders are backwards compatible with previous kernels, so installing via ODIN the Froyo bootloader from the previous thread I linked worked to get the phone having both stock vibrant JFD firmware and a vibrant bootloader. So I'm back to stock everything, sorta (froyo bootloader on eclair firmware).

But my SIM card is still fried. Looks like I might need to go to my local t-mobile store and see if they'll replace it for me. Still not sure what could have caused it. The smart move would probably be to wait to install CM7 9 or 10 after I get the SIM card working again, but I'm not sure i'm that patient.

Edit: so uhhhhhhh I'm I giant idiot and it turns out that sim cards work better when they are oriented the right way. Anyway, I got cm7 working just fine. Now to get cm10 up and running! Thanks for all the help!

mushi fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 29, 2012

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
I'm trying to put JB on my Verizon GNex and having some trouble getting the ADB drivers to work. I've tried using the galaxy nexus toolkit to install the drivers, using pdanet and manually using device manager to install the driver. I do have usb debugging enabled on the phone.

When I use pdanet it makes it through the installing usb driver and setting up network driver steps but just hangs at the installing PDAnet on phone step.

The toolkit never sees the phone in ADB mode, but if I go into fastboot I have no trouble.

Am I missing a step or what is wrong here?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lowen SoDium posted:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1749675

The only issues I am aware of on this rom is that if you try to go the about phone -> Sprint updates page to update your PRL and Profile, settings with force close. Everything else seems like it works correctly.

It doesn't have the ACS logo on boot for me.

I'm glad that stupid loving boot logo doesn't show up, but that rom has some fuckery where I'll need to install a special kernel to make the phone shut off properly under AC power, and it's got some issue with Wifi that is basically explained and then addressed in sheer gibberish in the OP. I think I deciphered it, but it's a bit important that I'm able to have wifi stay on at all times. Streaming music is not an edge case.

e: I'm still incredibly worried about ensuring I am able to use Google Wallet after a flash. I've heard horror stories where the thing basically fries itself because it thinks it's being tampered with.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 30, 2012

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

dxt posted:

I'm trying to put JB on my Verizon GNex and having some trouble getting the ADB drivers to work. I've tried using the galaxy nexus toolkit to install the drivers, using pdanet and manually using device manager to install the driver. I do have usb debugging enabled on the phone.

When I use pdanet it makes it through the installing usb driver and setting up network driver steps but just hangs at the installing PDAnet on phone step.

The toolkit never sees the phone in ADB mode, but if I go into fastboot I have no trouble.

I know this sounds silly but do you have the option for Unknown Sources enabled for app installs?

Also, can you extract the APK portion of the PDANet software and install that manually via adb?

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

dxt posted:

Try the official driver install from Samsung: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SCH-I515MSAVZW

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

this worked, thanks.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I rooted my girlfriends HTC Inspire 4G to put ICS on it. Works good so far but it's saying there is no voicemail number on the SIM card. Anyone know how to fix this issue?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Anybody with the EVO LTE running the newest FRESH ROM?

Does the Fresh Rom do anything to alleviate the Sense problems everyone was howling about after its release? Memory problems and dumping programs not in use, etc.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

TheReverend posted:

I rooted my girlfriends HTC Inspire 4G to put ICS on it. Works good so far but it's saying there is no voicemail number on the SIM card. Anyone know how to fix this issue?

Hey I've also got the inspire 4g and had given up all hope of getting ics, where did you get this and how it's it running other than the voicemail issue?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

MarsellusWallace posted:

Hey I've also got the inspire 4g and had given up all hope of getting ics, where did you get this and how it's it running other than the voicemail issue?

I used this one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1754097 under version 2.0

I put it on her phone Saturday night. So far it's running fine for her. She fixed the voicemail thing by either manually inputting the ATT voicemail number or using her own number (I texted her the two suggestions I found from a Google search and she said one of those worked, just not sure which one she used).

Give it a try, I suppose! Haven't regretted it yet.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
If I am switching from cm 7.2.0 RC1 to 7.2.0 stable version, should I wipe data and cache, or just dalvik cache?

edit: this is on a nook color (encore).

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Just always wipe both, there's no harm in wiping the cache ever, just takes an extra 15 seconds to rebuild the app database when you reboot.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

Zero VGS posted:

Just always wipe both, there's no harm in wiping the cache ever, just takes an extra 15 seconds to rebuild the app database when you reboot.

Really? I remember doing it once and I had to redownload everything through titanium backup, all my data like game saves and so on - I remember it taking quite some time. Is there an easier way to do it?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Whups, wipe cache and dalvic cache I meant. (I read that as dalvic and cache, or just dalvic cache)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

When going from one CM to another of the same kind (i.e. CM7 > CM7.1, RC > Stable, etc) you technically don't have to wipe anything but as Doghouse said wiping Dalvik and cache take no time at all and have to be rebuilt on boot anyway so I've always wiped both.

The only time you need to wipe data is when you switch ROMs, including going from, say, CM7 to CM9.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Anyone with a captivate able to recommend a gingerbread rom?

ICS is awesome but the performance is not :-\

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Assuming that you're looking for stability the go to suggestion would be the latest Cyanogen stable then do memory tweaks as you see fit with Supercharger V6. Slap a mild OC on there and you should be good to go.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ashex posted:

Seems odd that's the case as Ice Cream Sandwich on the nearly identical Nexus S is really stable and quick.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Ashex posted:

Anyone with a captivate able to recommend a gingerbread rom?

What have you tried so far?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

nimper posted:

What have you tried so far?

With ICS I was running the CM9 beta but at the time some bugs were annoying me, I was using SlimICS but there was some weird slugishness/delays when switching between apps.
Right now I'm running AOKP which is working pretty well, I'm running the Devil kernel and have done the LiveOC along with some other tweaks that minimized the delays I was having but I still have issues with music occasionally stuttering and apps not responding.

I haven't tried any gingerbread roms yet as I can't tell if any of them are being maintained (but that probably doesn't matter much).

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Anyone else running an Incredible 2 on the unofficial port of CM9? Moving into an ICS version is a huge improvement over CM7 though I haven't flashed the updated kernel yet. Too bad I don't think there is going to be an official port of it.

Didion
Mar 16, 2009
Galaxy Tab on CM 9, is it possible to increase the volume, I read somewhere that this particular version of CM apparently is somewhat quiet but can't seem to find any way or app to increase the system volume output?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a root for the Galaxy Exhibit II 4G?

Is there an ICS rom for this? It's on 2.3.6 normally...

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

low-key-taco posted:

Anyone else running an Incredible 2 on the unofficial port of CM9? Moving into an ICS version is a huge improvement over CM7 though I haven't flashed the updated kernel yet. Too bad I don't think there is going to be an official port of it.

What are you running? I'd like to update my wife's Inc2 but have no idea where to go.

Also, does everything work? Camera? GPS?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Didion posted:

Galaxy Tab on CM 9, is it possible to increase the volume, I read somewhere that this particular version of CM apparently is somewhat quiet but can't seem to find any way or app to increase the system volume output?
Doesn't DSP allow you to raise the volume across the board?

I know CM9 solves the Galaxy Nexus' quiet volume problem, I'm surprised it doesn't help the Tab.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Ashex posted:

With ICS I was running the CM9 beta but at the time some bugs were annoying me, I was using SlimICS but there was some weird slugishness/delays when switching between apps.
Right now I'm running AOKP which is working pretty well, I'm running the Devil kernel and have done the LiveOC along with some other tweaks that minimized the delays I was having but I still have issues with music occasionally stuttering and apps not responding.

I haven't tried any gingerbread roms yet as I can't tell if any of them are being maintained (but that probably doesn't matter much).

All I can say is for me Team Nyx RC5 was like night-and-day in terms of performance from their previous ICS releases on Captivate, no tweaking needed. Very fast and smooth, haven't had any real problems.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

rotaryfun posted:

What are you running? I'd like to update my wife's Inc2 but have no idea where to go.

Also, does everything work? Camera? GPS?

I got this guy's port as it didn't have all the dumb crap most xda people stuff into their roms. I still haven't flashed the updated kernel as I'm actually not sure how to do it (I guess the same way I initially flashed clockwork?) so I just wiped the phone and installed the rom and gapps rom and restored my apps backup from 'My Backup' app.

So far everything works. Battery life is about the same, gps is fine, speakerphone is fine, torch works, etc. Only thing is it seems like the camera is a little more wobbly, but getting the much better UI, proper multi tasking, and chrome mobile was worth it.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

low-key-taco posted:

I got this guy's port as it didn't have all the dumb crap most xda people stuff into their roms. I still haven't flashed the updated kernel as I'm actually not sure how to do it (I guess the same way I initially flashed clockwork?) so I just wiped the phone and installed the rom and gapps rom and restored my apps backup from 'My Backup' app.

So far everything works. Battery life is about the same, gps is fine, speakerphone is fine, torch works, etc. Only thing is it seems like the camera is a little more wobbly, but getting the much better UI, proper multi tasking, and chrome mobile was worth it.

Should just be flashable like you did the ROM and gapps .zip. (Not sure why it's not listed in the instruction steps.) So, just in case the kernel bombs on you, make a nandroid and flash it from recovery like you did the other two.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Red Warrior posted:

All I can say is for me Team Nyx RC5 was like night-and-day in terms of performance from their previous ICS releases on Captivate, no tweaking needed. Very fast and smooth, haven't had any real problems.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it out later and see how the performance compares.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there a root for the Galaxy Exhibit II 4G?

Is there an ICS rom for this? It's on 2.3.6 normally...

Yes, there's root, and yes there's an unofficial port of CM9, it's what I'm using right now.

Here is how to root the thing: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1421263

This is the CM9 port from July 29th http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1532005 , everything works except that the camera requires a workaround, instead of taking a picture with the normal camera mode, you go into panorama mode, tap once to start the panorama capture, and holding the phone still, tap again to end the panorama capture. That way you just get a normal picture, works fine.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Yes, there's root, and yes there's an unofficial port of CM9, it's what I'm using right now.

Here is how to root the thing: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1421263

This is the CM9 port from July 29th http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1532005 , everything works except that the camera requires a workaround, instead of taking a picture with the normal camera mode, you go into panorama mode, tap once to start the panorama capture, and holding the phone still, tap again to end the panorama capture. That way you just get a normal picture, works fine.

I assume that fucks up instagram photo taking?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Did CM7 used to have a vibrate-only mode? I don't think it's part of aosp but I swear it used to be in </=7.1 stable. I used to be able to use the down vol rocker to turn ringer down, then vibe-only, then silent. I've clean-flashed 7.2 stable a month ago (was using 7.03-7.1 stable prior to that) and it seems like it's missing since. I cant find anything in settings-sound. In cm-settings-sound there's a setting "silent state" "add a state for complete silence to volume control" that was unchecked, but I could already do "complete silence" with vol control, any android can. Checking that box didn't seem to do anything.

Unrelated, For fun (camera doesn't work good in them) I've tried a couple ICS and now JB roms on my phone (Inspire) and they all use a 2.6xx kernel. Is that a GB kernel? How does a GB kernel on an ics or jb rom affect anything? or does it not? I hear the kernel as well as some proprietary camera drivers is all that community devs need from the official htc dhd ics upgrade to get poo poo working good. Maybe kernel source, not just a kernel. But if we get that upgrade from htc would running JB roms with an ics kernel be anything like JB with a GB kernel?

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Wagonburner posted:

How does a GB kernel on an ics or jb rom affect anything? or does it not?
For every Android release, there's usually a corresponding kernel version that's the "canonical" kernel for that release, and is the one that ships with AOSP devices. In recent history this has been:

Eclair (2.1): Linux 2.6.29
Froyo (2.2): Linux 2.6.32
Gingerbread (2.3): Linux 2.6.35
Honeycomb (3.x): ?
ICS (4.0): Linux 3.0
Jellybean (4.1): Linux 3.4

Now, the kernel does contain a few drivers and support code that can be considered general across Android, but that hasn't actually changed much since Android 2.x days. The bulk of what makes a kernel for one device different from another are device specific drivers and platform/SoC support. Which for a variety of reasons, is usually a giant pain in the rear end to forward port to more recent Linux versions.

So it's often not surprising to see CM9/10 running on older devices with a "Gingerbread" (2.6.35) kernel as it's the most recent kernel version released for that device. It's not really proper to call it a "Gingerbread" kernel, since ICS did introduce some kernel/userspace API breakage, particularly at the input layer (keyboard and touchscreen support), and so CM folks usually do the minimum porting necessary to make those older kernels work on CM9/10.

Also, sometimes a device will be "stuck" on a particular kernel version if it relies on proprietary kernel modules for which no compatible newer version exists, or in the case of Motorola devices, the kernel can't be changed easily (or at all). Actually, in these cases, CM has implemented "Gingerbread compatibility" for the few things in the input layer that did change.

Wagonburner posted:

I hear the kernel as well as some proprietary camera drivers is all that community devs need from the official htc dhd ics upgrade to get poo poo working good.
The biggest problem with supporting ICS on older devices is getting appropriate userspace drivers, the HAL libraries. A lot of the userspace API changed to ICS and so the old Gingerbread ones won't necessarily work anymore. That means folks either have to get newer versions from ICS updates (leaks or official), or they have to write a compatibility shim, or replace the whole library with source-build one, possibly written from scratch. Which, depending on the peripheral, can be quite time consuming.

As for the kernel, if there's already a leaked ICS kernel for a device, folks usually aren't interested in doing a bunch of porting on the GB kernel sources since, well, an ICS kernel source release is expected at some point. Sadly, that's often takes many months to "never".