Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Also, in scallop-speak, the really big ones are called "U-10s" (as in less than ten to a pound.) I see dry U-10s pretty fairly often in the grocery stores around here, but they're spendy. Don't give up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

This recipe for browned sugar cookies says to "...cream a half cup of dark brown sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla together with the chilled butter until light and silky smooth."

How does one cream some things? A furious whisking?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

me your dad posted:

Yeah, just beat the poo poo out of it. I usually warm the butter up a little, you don't want it hot but enough that it's flexible. Then beat until it's not gritty, it'll feel kind of like cake frosting. I think it is basically just butter frosting at that point. I usually use a good solid fork to do it.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I'm lazy, I always cream stuff in my mixer instead. Just turn it on low and walk away for a little while.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011

me your dad posted:

This recipe for browned sugar cookies says to "...cream a half cup of dark brown sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla together with the chilled butter until light and silky smooth."

Generally you cream things with a paddle or wooden spoon. One sign that you are doing things right is when the color lightens in color.

__

Thanks for the help on the Whiskey, just scraping together the bottles and waiting ~six months for the ageing until I can report the results.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
I've been curious about making Korean Glazed Potatoes for a while, and I found a recipe on Epicurious that looks pretty simple and tasty, but I thought it might be worthwhile getting suggestions for improving the recipe from here before I try. Any tasty tips?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, just beat the poo poo out of it. I usually warm the butter up a little, you don't want it hot but enough that it's flexible. Then beat until it's not gritty, it'll feel kind of like cake frosting. I think it is basically just butter frosting at that point. I usually use a good solid fork to do it.

Yeah, you're essentially making simple buttercream frosting with the wrong sugar. :)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

oTHi posted:

I've been curious about making Korean Glazed Potatoes for a while, and I found a recipe on Epicurious that looks pretty simple and tasty, but I thought it might be worthwhile getting suggestions for improving the recipe from here before I try. Any tasty tips?

Looks about right. They've been super sweet when I've had them, think french fries dipped in honey. Potatoes here tend to be rather small, I don't know what variety because everything's just labeled "potato". No big Russet kind of potatoes exist here though.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
When I have them here in Japan, they're usually red potatoes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

tarepanda posted:

When I have them here in Japan, they're usually red potatoes.

That'd probably be pretty good. I've never seen red potatoes in Korea, sadly.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RazorBunny posted:

I'm lazy, I always cream stuff in my mixer instead. Just turn it on low and walk away for a little while.

Exactly this. Just don't leave it creaming for like, an hour. It's got a wide margin of error and you're far more likely to under-cream rather than overwork it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

timmo posted:

Does anyone have a 'goto' webstore for knives? I currently working as a butcher, but since I float between stores I carry my own knives with me. Since I'm in the market for some new knives, I figured I might try to see what websites can offer vs brick and mortar stores. So far, with s&h Amazon seems to be right around the same price range.
I like Chef Knives To Go alright. Their selection is skewed toward Japanese kitchen knives (and Chinese cleavers), so if you prefer heavier German cutlery they might not be a good option. Their prices are decent but not spectacular, but they tend to regularly stock blades from popular knifemakers that can be difficult to find elsewhere (Tanaka and Takeda, for example). They also carry a pretty good selection of more common brands (Moritaka, Tojiro, and Dojo, for example). And they're one of the few places that you can buy CCK online.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to cream the poo poo out of it in my mixer.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You fancy people and your mixers.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Get married and someone will probably buy you one!

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Going food shopping after work tonight and I'd like to make a stew of some sorts for the week. I generally leave work and go right to soccer, so I usually make a big pot of something that reheats well. My go-tos thus far are red beans and rice, chili (I've been using ironleg's from the thread), or a soup of some kind (chicken, barley, escarole and bean, etc)

Basically, I am really in a stew mood this week and I'm tossing it out to GWS what to make. I was thinking of trying out doro wat, but seeing if anyone had some recommendations to add to my list of stuff to try.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I actually don't use mine all that much, I hand mix most everything. But it's a workhorse, and if something says it needs to be beaten for five minutes, I'm going to let the machine do it.

Plus it's got all kinds of cool attachments :) Way cheaper and easier to get the meat grinder attachement than to go out and buy a stand-alone meat grinder.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Chemotherapy and marijuana go together like apple pie and Chevrolet.

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Going food shopping after work tonight and I'd like to make a stew of some sorts for the week. I generally leave work and go right to soccer, so I usually make a big pot of something that reheats well. My go-tos thus far are red beans and rice, chili (I've been using ironleg's from the thread), or a soup of some kind (chicken, barley, escarole and bean, etc)

Basically, I am really in a stew mood this week and I'm tossing it out to GWS what to make. I was thinking of trying out doro wat, but seeing if anyone had some recommendations to add to my list of stuff to try.
Beef and cauliflower is a pretty tasty stew. I usually throw in some chick peas as well.

http://www.cauliflowerrecipes.co.uk/cauliflower-and-beef-stew-moroccan-style-recipe/

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.

me your dad posted:

Get married and someone will probably buy you one!

I got an awesome gift card when we got married and picked up my stand mixer. So this is very true,

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
The grinding attachment. Oh god, the grinding attachment.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Local butcher shop has squab. I hear you make that on a grill. Is there anything you could do with it using a lovely 20 year old electric stove? I have a cast iron if it matters.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
So I am going to try to make Cà ri gà tonight (http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Vietnamese_Chicken_Curry_(C%C3%A0_ri_g%C3%A0)) tonight with some chicken legs we need to use up, however I don't have any potatoes on hand. Can I substitute Jicama for them since I've already got a bunch of that? how well do they hold up to cooking?

Still new to using jicama and I am not sure what else to do with this weird root vegetable besides pickling it or eating it raw

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You can make a kimchee out of jicama

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Alright, this should be rather straightforward.

Tonight I'm cooking one of the meals on FoodWishes that really caught my eye. Most of my cooking experience before has been with ground beef or diced chicken, which is pretty easy as far as cooking goes. The meal in question is the Crispy Pork Cutlets with Creamy Jalapeno Green Onion Gravy:

http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2012/07/crispy-pork-cutlets-with-creamy.html

I'm not worried about the gravy, I've made roux before and dicing vegetables is not particularly hard. My question basically stems to, well, I have pork chops that are about twice as thick as the flattened tenderloin he used. How should I adjust the cooking? How do I tell when it's time to flip the pork chop in the skillet? Or should I skip the skillet altogether and bake the pork chops?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

You can make a kimchee out of jicama

You can make a kimchi out of just about anything, as far as I can tell.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

So I am going to try to make Cà ri gà tonight (http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Vietnamese_Chicken_Curry_(C%C3%A0_ri_g%C3%A0)) tonight with some chicken legs we need to use up, however I don't have any potatoes on hand. Can I substitute Jicama for them since I've already got a bunch of that? how well do they hold up to cooking?

Still new to using jicama and I am not sure what else to do with this weird root vegetable besides pickling it or eating it raw

I think you can, just cut it a little smaller and don't brown them first.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Protocol7 posted:

Alright, this should be rather straightforward.

Tonight I'm cooking one of the meals on FoodWishes that really caught my eye. Most of my cooking experience before has been with ground beef or diced chicken, which is pretty easy as far as cooking goes. The meal in question is the Crispy Pork Cutlets with Creamy Jalapeno Green Onion Gravy:

http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2012/07/crispy-pork-cutlets-with-creamy.html

I'm not worried about the gravy, I've made roux before and dicing vegetables is not particularly hard. My question basically stems to, well, I have pork chops that are about twice as thick as the flattened tenderloin he used. How should I adjust the cooking? How do I tell when it's time to flip the pork chop in the skillet? Or should I skip the skillet altogether and bake the pork chops?

Do you have a meat thermometer? Cook till it's 145 F internally at the lowest.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

RazorBunny posted:

You can make a kimchi out of just about anything, as far as I can tell.

I thought it had to be vegetables that didn't contain a whole lot of water. Can you kimchee fruit?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

PokeJoe posted:

Do you have a meat thermometer? Cook till it's 145 F internally at the lowest.

I don't think we have one handy, no.

I did come across a good idea while searching - letting the meat simmer, covered, for a good 10-15 minutes after both sides have been "cooked." Unless anyone has better ideas, I'm probably just gonna have to do that.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Steve Yun posted:

I thought it had to be vegetables that didn't contain a whole lot of water. Can you kimchee fruit?

I kimchee cucumbers all the time and they have lots of water. So does cabbage. I mean, cabbage is mostly water.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Cucumbers are also fruits :science:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

You could always just cut it open if you aren't sure it's done.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

Yes, you could do this. I would only do it if you really really like dry meat though.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

PokeJoe posted:

That's very true. Pork that's cooked correctly should be juuuuust barely pink in the center, right?

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I have 2 lbs of 80/20 ground beef left over from Saturday evening, and I don't want to grill hamburgers because it's like 100 F outside.

Thinking meatloaf. Not particularly enamored with the recipes in the GWS wiki.

Help me out, amigos.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

I've seen recipes for pineapple kimchi and pear and apple kimchi, so I guess so. Haven't tried it myself.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Beep Street posted:

Beef and cauliflower is a pretty tasty stew. I usually throw in some chick peas as well.

http://www.cauliflowerrecipes.co.uk/cauliflower-and-beef-stew-moroccan-style-recipe/

Gonna take a stab at this tonight, thanks!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

RazorBunny posted:

I've seen recipes for pineapple kimchi and pear and apple kimchi, so I guess so. Haven't tried it myself.

Well, poo poo. Time to experiment some more.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 30, 2012

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Slifter posted:

I think you can, just cut it a little smaller and don't brown them first.

Yeah I was going to substitute alot of it with eggplant also since I have a ton to use up before it goes bad. why wouldn't I brown it first though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
For one I'm not sure how well they would brown given they have a lot less starch than potatoes. The other reason is you don't need to develop the flavor of the jicama like you do the potato, just putting in at the end will help keep the fresh flavor.