Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

I'm pretty sure that Apples recommends a minimum of one charge-cycle per month. If those 14 cycles were spread out over a year it (probably) should not have wrecked the battery like that. If, however, you went 11 months straight on AC power before pulling two cycles a day for a week I could see that loving things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Is there an exhaustive collection yet of the performance problems people are experiencing with the rMBP, how widespread they are, and if Mountain Lion does anything to fix any of them?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Fren posted:

Is there an exhaustive collection yet of the performance problems people are experiencing with the rMBP, how widespread they are, and if Mountain Lion does anything to fix any of them?
Scrolling performance has been known since day 1 and is not likely to change - although ML improved it. I am sure the problems causing that will include other kinds of sluggishness. I mean, we're talking about something as simple and universal as scrolling down a webpage being a really awful experience.

It's weird they decided to ship the product in the first place, but I guess it's a nice product for people who work with videos, images, and audio on a daily basis. Kinda like a portable Mac Pro.

rMBP sounds like an early adopter laptop for test pilots who just need to have it. I was considering it, but the price and performance made me go with a MacBook Air 13" instead.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 30, 2012

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long
Is the scrolling REALLY that bad? I've seen it mentioned but it still got absolutely rave reviews from seriously picky people.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

a bad poster yall posted:

Is the scrolling REALLY that bad? I've seen it mentioned but it still got absolutely rave reviews from seriously picky people.

For me, it's only bad on Facebook (running ML). I have no real problems or issues, otherwise.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

mediaphage posted:

For me, it's only bad on Facebook (running ML). I have no real problems or issues, otherwise.

Same. Haven't really seen bad scrolling with ML. My ethernet DONGLE has gotten a little better too, but will still cause some funkiness when inserting and pulling it. Let's just say it is not hot swap-able.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Scrolling is also only really bad on Facebook here too. Although after my update to ML, switching spaces is now sort of a slide show whereas it was milky smooth in Lion.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Assuming ML has been seeded on Apple store laptops, go down there, visit a site with long scrolling like http://daringfireball.net or similar and just scroll down as much and fast as you can. I did so myself, and it was really noticeable on Lion. Anandtech says it gets better, but still subpar, with ML.

If you don't notice it, I guess you shouldn't worry about it - but it's definitely there.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

ufarn posted:

Assuming ML has been seeded on Apple store laptops, go down there, visit a site with long scrolling like http://daringfireball.net or similar and just scroll down as much and fast as you can. I did so myself, and it was really noticeable on Lion. Anandtech says it gets better, but still subpar, with ML.

If you don't notice it, I guess you shouldn't worry about it - but it's definitely there.

I notice it, it's just not a dealbreaker.

Also, I don't have the Spaces switching issue that a number of people seem to, either on Lion or ML.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Dunno, I upgraded from a 2008 whitebook so the retina macbook pro runs like a scalded cat compared to that machine.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is it just me or is it kind of weird for OS X to depend on a path like the home directory to keep from totally making GBS threads? Maybe I'm dumb. I thought the file system had abstracted file identities that were independent of the filename. That's why I get annoyed when a program can't find anything in its history just because I changed the name of a folder in the path.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

So, Pogue says the MagSafe 2 is poo poo.

Is anybody having a problem with their MagSafe 2 as in it being too weak as he mentions?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

If anything I wish it was weaker. I am constantly worried I could just pull my computer off the table with it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I bet it's a quality control issue because I've run into people who say it's as strong as you say and others who think a refrigerator magnet is better. C'mon Apple..

Fake Edit: all the MagSafe 2s at the Apple Stores are pretty strong in my anecdotal experience..

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I got loving tired of waiting for a Mac Mini or iMac refresh so i did a dumb thing and bought a 13" Macbook Air with 8gigs RAM. I considered getting the 256gig SSD but I saw how trivially easy it was to upgrade with the OWC SSD kit so I'll just wait for that to go down in price in the future. I wish Apple still offered a 24" monitor, I guess I'm using the Dell U2412m for now.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Mu Zeta posted:

I got loving tired of waiting for a Mac Mini or iMac refresh so i did a dumb thing and bought a 13" Macbook Air with 8gigs RAM. I considered getting the 256gig SSD but I saw how trivially easy it was to upgrade with the OWC SSD kit so I'll just wait for that to go down in price in the future. I wish Apple still offered a 24" monitor, I guess I'm using the Dell U2412m for now.

I thought the whole thing with the latest vintage of MBAs is that the SSDs are soldered on? Is this not the case? If so, as a recent purchaser of a 11", :dance:.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Lexicon posted:

I thought the whole thing with the latest vintage of MBAs is that the SSDs are soldered on? Is this not the case? If so, as a recent purchaser of a 11", :dance:.

They're not soldered on, though I think RAM is. They are on a custom daughter-board that is different from the previous gen MBA.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Lexicon posted:

RAM is soldered but the SSD is a removable part...but it's not a standard SSD. OWC made compatible modules but their pricing is more in line with Apple's rather than the standard market. There's not much (if any?) competition for them plus it's kind of a niche part so I'm not sure their pricing will ever be all that much better than Apple's.

(also the 2011 and 2012s have different modules iirc)

Thanatus
Apr 24, 2009
What is the difference in terms of performance between the 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 and the 2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7? I am looking into either purchasing the 2.3GHz macbook pro or the 2.6GHz macbook pro base model? However, if I get the 2.3GHZ, I'll probably get the 750GB HD and install some RAM myself.

Also, are the high-res screen options worth the extra $100 or is the difference only noticeable by people working with videos and photos?

For reference, I'll be using my macbook for school, gaming, and probably some music software. I'm trying to pick one that will last four years.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Can you connect a Macbook Air to a TV with HDMI without the AC adapter plugged in? I remember reading something about needing to have power to do it. Which wouldn't make sense since an iPad has no trouble doing it without power.

Also if you connect a MBA to a third party monitor can you control its power settings through OSX? Like changing brightness setting and such with hotkeys.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Thanatus posted:

What is the difference in terms of performance between the 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 and the 2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7? I am looking into either purchasing the 2.3GHz macbook pro or the 2.6GHz macbook pro base model? However, if I get the 2.3GHZ, I'll probably get the 750GB HD and install some RAM myself.

Also, are the high-res screen options worth the extra $100 or is the difference only noticeable by people working with videos and photos?

For reference, I'll be using my macbook for school, gaming, and probably some music software. I'm trying to pick one that will last four years.

The disk is going to be the way bigger bottleneck for most stuff anyway - you'd be much better off spending the difference on an ssd.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

I bet it's a quality control issue because I've run into people who say it's as strong as you say and others who think a refrigerator magnet is better. C'mon Apple..

Fake Edit: all the MagSafe 2s at the Apple Stores are pretty strong in my anecdotal experience..
my basis for comparison is my 2007 white MacBook with the old T connector but I think my partner's 2008 mbp with the L connector is also weaker. One thing I have noticed though is getting it connected requires a little more direct manipulation because I felt like with my old connector I could basically throw the connector in the general direction of the power port and it would snap in, but with the new one I actually have to line it up and make sure it's rotated correctly.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

1997 posted:

Maybe you should have cycled your battery more often. 14 in one year is nonsense, they're rated at a few hundred per year.

Edit: It's rated at 500 cycles over its life so perhaps unplug your notebooks more often

Batteries nowadays basically last their rated cycles under whatever conditions unless there's something wrong with them. 14 cycles in a year should easily be enough to keep it going. I mean, you could probably shelve it for a year with no problems.

It looks more like there's some sort of issue with the computer seeing the battery at all. Does the battery life indicator on the menu bar have a big X through it? That would mean that your computer thinks there's no battery connected at all. I've never seen a battery report like that with coconut battery; even basically dead ones still didn't show -1 like that. Do you still have an old battery lying around? You could plug that in and see if it shows anything different.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Can you connect a Macbook Air to a TV with HDMI without the AC adapter plugged in? I remember reading something about needing to have power to do it. Which wouldn't make sense since an iPad has no trouble doing it without power.

Also if you connect a MBA to a third party monitor can you control its power settings through OSX? Like changing brightness setting and such with hotkeys.

I use a PNY MDP-HDMI adapter and watch the occasional fussy movie file with subs on the TV, always on battery. Audio pass through rules.

I have never had those hot keys function on external displays. At least not on a Samsung or HP display.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
So.. I got an email stating the 100 back to school gift card was shipped out the 17th of July and should be delivered the 24th.

It's now the 30th.. should I be worried someone stole it in the mail?

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Yes.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Thanatus posted:

I just did this myself (should be here on Thursday). You want the ~$2200 2.6 quad-core 15" model for longevity's sake; it has 1GB of VRAM on the 650M while the 2.3 quad core only ships with 512. Huge difference, will definitely add some more life to your new MBP.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

lol internet. posted:

So.. I got an email stating the 100 back to school gift card was shipped out the 17th of July and should be delivered the 24th.

It's now the 30th.. should I be worried someone stole it in the mail?

Contact them, tell them what happened and ask them to send out a new one. Shouldn't be a problem (I've never tried with Apple but I've have other gift cards replaced easily enough).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Arivia posted:

You want the ~$2200 2.6 quad-core 15" model for longevity's sake; it has 1GB of VRAM on the 650M while the 2.3 quad core only ships with 512. Huge difference, will definitely add some more life to your new MBP.

What outside of games needs that much video memory?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

dissss posted:

What outside of games needs that much video memory?

Probably nothing you would be doing unless you're an engineering student living on an MBP for some reason. However, for the person I responded to and myself, both students with gaming needs, it is important and will definitely make a Mac last longer.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

ShadeofBlue posted:

Batteries nowadays basically last their rated cycles under whatever conditions unless there's something wrong with them. 14 cycles in a year should easily be enough to keep it going. I mean, you could probably shelve it for a year with no problems.

Apparently not using a battery is not a good thing either if it is exposed to heat (which is basically a given with an internal laptop battery) during its non-use: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/discharge_methods

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Decius posted:

Apparently not using a battery is not a good thing either if it is exposed to heat (which is basically a given with an internal laptop battery) during its non-use: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/discharge_methods

I used to store all the spare batteries for my D600 in the fridge; no idea if it really helped or not, but they still hold charge to this day :iiam:

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Leaving a laptop plugged in all the time can possibly lead to battery swelling. However, my 2009 MBP only has 19 cycles and (even though I know I shouldn't) I keep it plugged in most of the time with no issues.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

It's an old laptop that someone turned in when they got an upgrade here at work. It still had a few months of Applecare on it, so I got the DVD drive and battery taken care of and it's pretty much sat in a drawer for a long time except for occasional bouts of me messing around with it.

It's not important, and I can just order a new battery for it on the company dime, just seems so strange that after only 14 cycles it would just be deader than dead. I'm pretty sure I have a D600 on a shelf somewhere that will still hold a charge after being on the shelf for the last year or so.

The battery is recognized in the MBP, it just says 'Replace Now'.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If it was sitting at full or no charge for a prolonged period it could gently caress up the battery, the ideal storage state is around half.

Of course the other possibility is that the MBP itself is hosed up in some way, only way to test that out is with a known good battery I guess.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Are you using a MacBook charger on your MacBook Pro? That could be another reason it isn't charging, since the MacBook charger doesn't supply as much power. The charger for the pro should be 85 watts, it says it on the charger somewhere.

Jabe
Nov 18, 2006

APPLE IS A SHIT COMPANY GOD I WISH THEY WOULD JUST GO DIE OR SOMETHING JEEZ

I'm playing this game called the Witcher 2 and it's quite graphically intensive. My retina macbook pro gets super hot and the fans start blazing like crazy. I wouldn't want to turn it into goo by playing some PC game.

So is it unhealthy to get the macbook pro this hot?

Captain Geech
Mar 14, 2008

I've made a huge mistake.
I have an old Mac PowerPC G5. I figure it's a long shot, but is there a feasible way for me to swap out the PowerPC chips for Intel ones?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

ShadeofBlue posted:

Are you using a MacBook charger on your MacBook Pro? That could be another reason it isn't charging, since the MacBook charger doesn't supply as much power. The charger for the pro should be 85 watts, it says it on the charger somewhere.
I had to use my old 65w charger with the MagSafe 2 adapter on my retina pro when I left the normal charger at work and it was fine. The retina pro has a much higher battery capacity than the standard pro, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOLLUSC
Nov 30, 2005

Captain Geech posted:

I have an old Mac PowerPC G5. I figure it's a long shot, but is there a feasible way for me to swap out the PowerPC chips for Intel ones?

No, it's a completely different motherboard and everything.