Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvitrafn
Jul 16, 2012
^^^^^^^^

Yeah, I'm wondering about that too. The swipe between spaces seems too slow. Would be nice to tweak that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
The new beta of little snitch is great and hasn't given me any trouble on ML.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Anyone who misses Save As... in ML, apparently you can get it back without Option-key-pressing or 4-button-keybinds: http://www.tuaw.com/2012/07/29/get-save-as-back-on-mountain-lions-file-menu-easily-and-without/

damaca
Feb 7, 2009
What is the deal with the 'program active' indicators on the dock? How is this an improvement over the previous indicators?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

damaca posted:

What is the deal with the 'program active' indicators on the dock? How is this an improvement over the previous indicators?

It's not really, but part of Lion's persistence thing was making application state not matter, to the point where a lot of dev builds had application open notifiers turned off by default. It's just not a thing they feel anyone needs to worry about, and I agree.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
they want to transition towards removing any indication of a running or non-running program.
Switch to 2D dock, it's much better all around anyway. While you're at it make hidden apps translucent.

(not trying to start anything, just want to let people know about the options available to them)

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
So I still use an old Apple Extended Keyboard with my Mac. I used to use a piece of software called "Proxi" that Griffin had made to remap F13-F15 to the volume up/down/mute keys, and map F12 to eject.

Well, as of Mountain Lion, Proxi (which griffin has abandoned) doesn't work anymore.

But! I found something even better.

KeyRemap for Macbook

http://pqrs.org/macosx/keyremap4macbook/

Despite the name this works on all Macs, and it allows you to easily remap keys, it has a crap load of presets, but if you want to customize it, you can use an XML file to accomplish that.

This is perfect if you don't use an older Apple keyboard or if you use a PC keyboard and want to map some function keys to media keys etc.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Is there a way to sort Mac App Store purchases by name instead of by purchase date?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

ptier posted:

What country are you in? I'm in USA and all I had to do for my rMBP was give the purchase date (June 11) and the serial number.
I'm in the US same as you. I've given purchase date, serial number, you name it. Apple support hasn't gotten back to me yet either.

I want Steve Jobs to posthumously deliver a ML code to my e-mail inbox, dammit.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Not digging Messages (as a lot of pointed out already) and I want it to default to the "Buddies" screen so I can see who is around like a normal chat application instead of having to hit cmd+1 and closing out the main screen.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

~Coxy posted:

they want to transition towards removing any indication of a running or non-running program.
Switch to 2D dock, it's much better all around anyway. While you're at it make hidden apps translucent.

(not trying to start anything, just want to let people know about the options available to them)

Dock should be on the left or right side anyhow. :colbert:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Choadmaster posted:

Dock should be on the left or right side anyhow. :colbert:

You mean in the bottom left/right corner, right?

And you also mean hidden, right?? :colbert:

(How do I make hidden apps in the dock transparent?)

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Victimology is all over the place!
Stupid question about Macs. Sorry if this isn't about Mountain Lion.

At work, we have a desktop Mac that runs Snow Leopard. I download lots of e-mail attachments each day for my job, and as a result my Download folder in the dock is so full that it takes up most of my screen when I click on it.

I clear my Downloads folder in the Finder, but for some reason it doesn't replicate in the dock. Like, there are noticeably less files left in the Dock Downloads, but I'd expect it to be empty. And anyways, I technically deleted those that remain. If I try to open them, it gives me an error message.

Is there a way to clear the Dock Downloads?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
I used to use Wine and Tag N Rename to edit audio file information.

After updating to Mountain Lion, it doesn't load anymore.

Looking in terminal, this is what pops up when it tries to load:

code:
DC-MacBook-Pro:~ davidclaiborne$ /opt/local/bin/wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/TagRename/TagRename.exe
fixme:mountmgr:harddisk_ioctl unsupported ioctl 4d004
Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.
err:systray:initialize_systray Could not create tray window
fixme:shell:FileIconInit (true)
I have zero clue what that means, so could someone point me in the right direction to get it working again?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Install XQuartz.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Much thanks. Guess the version I had installed previously didn't work with the new update.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Alfalfa posted:

I used to use Wine and Tag N Rename to edit audio file information.

After updating to Mountain Lion, it doesn't load anymore.

Looking in terminal, this is what pops up when it tries to load:

code:
DC-MacBook-Pro:~ davidclaiborne$ /opt/local/bin/wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/TagRename/TagRename.exe
fixme:mountmgr:harddisk_ioctl unsupported ioctl 4d004
err:systray:initialize_systray Could not create tray window
fixme:shell:FileIconInit (true)
I have zero clue what that means, so could someone point me in the right direction to get it working again?

Not any help to you, but you got TagNRename working under WIne? Did you get it working with international characters or is that just asking too much?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Alfalfa posted:

Much thanks. Guess the version I had installed previously didn't work with the new update.
Mountain Lion removed X11 support from its default installation.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Is anyone else incredibly annoyed by the syncing behaviour on Messages if you've had a conversation on iOS prior to waking a MacBook from sleep? You open the lid, and all you hear is "zoom... zoom... zoom.. zooom!" as the notifications come in for the conversation that's already happened.

How did they ever think this is a good idea? Is there a way to turn it off, short of setting the notification sound to none?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
The new backgrounds are pretty neat, although I'm glad installing ML didn't change my desktops, because it'd be a bit of a pain to remember which was which.

Also, is the Change Space animation really that slow? It seems to be about as quick as it was in Lion, for what that's worth.

However, after I installed it, Mail seems to have forgotten all of my e-mail accounts' passwords, except for .Mac. And it doesn't seem to be accepting them when I type them in at the prompt. Did something just get messed up, or do I need to delete the keychain entries or something?

f.e.: Nevermind, I quit Mail a few hours ago and now it's magically working again. Whatever.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

kapalama posted:

Any feedback on Bartender whilst it is in Beta?

I am absolutely loving it. I personally have a number of things in my menu bar (such as iStat Menus) but also like being able to keep things like Droplr, Dropbox, Boom, and Timing in my Bartender bar for easy, yet hidden access.

If anyone has been having issues with Fantastical not remembering your passwords on restart, go to Keychain Access and edit the 'Access Control' settings.

On the topic of Mountain Lion, I am a huge fan of the changes- most noticeably the Notification Center and the new design of the dock. I particularly like the new indicator light at the bottom. I upgraded my system on a fresh install, and although Star War Sex Parrot doesn't agree, I'd recommend doing the same!

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

kapalama posted:

Not any help to you, but you got TagNRename working under WIne? Did you get it working with international characters or is that just asking too much?

I never tried international characters with it so can't really be of help.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I really miss having Chax, as it hasn't worked since Snow Leopard. Is there any good alternative these days that will auto accept a screen share request over iChat? Or basically, any trouble free way that does screen sharing that works as good as iChat Screen Sharing? LogMeIn is complete garbage with so much lag. I've just been using LogMeIn to accept my Screen Share requester over iChat, but that's kind of lame if something will just accept it for me.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
How about Back to My Mac with VNC Sharing turned on.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

wolffenstein posted:

How about Back to My Mac with VNC Sharing turned on.

Is there any write up on the interwebs about how to set that up? I cant' seem to find anything to help guide me in the right direction.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

I've been having a recurring problem since 10.7—my Dock somehow loses the ability to drag items (apps or files), although right-clicking and launching seem to work as expected. People online with similar problems are told to trash the dock .plist and restart, but a simple restart always fixes it for me (and lets me keep my Dock sorted the way I want). Trashing the .plist and killing Dock does not work.

I've got an Optibay-like setup where my user directory resides on a different HD than the OS. Would there be any other plists hiding anywhere I should check out?

YO MAMA HEAD fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 30, 2012

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Astro7x posted:

Is there any write up on the interwebs about how to set that up? I cant' seem to find anything to help guide me in the right direction.
Apple has a support site.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

I've been having a recurring problem since 10.7—my Dock somehow loses the ability to drag items (apps or files), although right-clicking and launching seem to work as expected. People online with similar problems are told to trash the dock .plist and restart, but a simple restart always fixes it for me (and lets me keep my Dock sorted the way I want). Trashing the .plist and killing Dock does not work.

I've got an Optibay-like setup where my user directory resides on a different HD than the OS. Would there be any other plists hiding anywhere I should check out?
There's a "defaults write" trick to lock the dock items, but trashing the pref plist should've reset that. Barring wonky functionality or some other outside source doing it, all I can think of is a setting for managed user accounts to lock the dock.

killerrabbit
Feb 2, 2006
Does anyone have a link to hi res old style pointers? I think the "new" pointing hand and grabby hand cursors were introduced with a Lion update, but someone made retina-resolution old-style hand cursors. I had a link once but now have lost it and google isn't revealing it.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

I did a clean install on both my drives for ML—the only things I brought over from my CCC'd backup were some fonts and my MP3s (I thinK?). I'm not using any weird apps, and I'm the only user on this MBP.

I know a standard approach is seeing if it happens with a new user, but since a restart always fixes it for me I'm not sure if that applies here.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Apologies if this isn't the best thread, but anyone have any thoughts to share on CrashPlan? It's much, much cheaper than I had originally presumed, and it seems like it might be a better long-term backup option than shuffling around physical Time Machine disks.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Lexicon posted:

Apologies if this isn't the best thread, but anyone have any thoughts to share on CrashPlan? It's much, much cheaper than I had originally presumed, and it seems like it might be a better long-term backup option than shuffling around physical Time Machine disks.

I have CrashPlan running on every computer in my house. It is a great solution as long as you are willing to wait for the initial upload as it can take a while. You could spring for them to mail you a drive. Also, it takes up hardly any system resources.

You also probably want to hang onto a local Time Machine backup as well so if poo poo goes South you can restore quickly.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Is there any way to choose what calendars get notifications? I subscribe to a bunch of friend's google calendars, and it kind of makes the notification bar fill up with crap.

Captain Geech
Mar 14, 2008

I've made a huge mistake.
Okay, I've done something incredibly stupid and really, really need help. I have a MacBook Pro retina with Mountain Lion, and I changed the permissions of my harddrive to "Everyone: No access." I did this incredibly stupid thing because I thought that would prevent people on my network from waltzing all over my computer (which has been a problem in the past). Now, of course, my computer won't boot up. It gets hung up on the Apple loading screen.

I've tried Apple's support page and looked at a couple of solutions there. I've tried booting it into recovery mode and using the reset password application to reset Home Directory permissions, but no dice.

I've also tried holding down command+S and using the following commands:
mount -uw /
chown root /
chmod 1775 /
exit

...but that doesn't work either.

For the love of all that's good and holy, please help me. I promise to never do something this dumb again.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I wonder if you booted into Reovery partition and used Disk Utility to "repair permissions", maybe that would do something useful?

Your avatar text is very apt, Geech :colbert:

Captain Geech
Mar 14, 2008

I've made a huge mistake.

Martytoof posted:

I wonder if you booted into Reovery partition and used Disk Utility to "repair permissions", maybe that would do something useful?

Your avatar text is very apt, Geech :colbert:

Tried that, too. No dice.

THIS however just did. For future reference:

mount -uw
chflags 0 /Volumes/"name of disk"
chown 0:80 /Volumes/"name of disk"
chmod 1775 /Volumes/"name of disk"
chmod -N /Volumes/"name of disk"

I am appropriately ashamed.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

How can I run diagnostics and repair an external FW hard drive that Disk Utility won't really mess with? This drive has been fine for years but is suddenly underperforming in Final Cut - it seems to be struggling to keep up when even a few weeks ago it was fine. What third-party app is best for trying to to fix it up?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

DiskWarrior is the go-to 3rd party disk utility I think, but it's going to cost you.

Can you get S.M.A.R.T diagnostics over firewire? I would probably start by checking out "SMART Utility". It's payware but I think they have a free demo version.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Modern Pragmatist posted:

I have CrashPlan running on every computer in my house. It is a great solution as long as you are willing to wait for the initial upload as it can take a while. You could spring for them to mail you a drive. Also, it takes up hardly any system resources.

You also probably want to hang onto a local Time Machine backup as well so if poo poo goes South you can restore quickly.

I'm a big fan of Crashplan and have a family plan backing up all of my computers as well (including a few dozen gigabytes of data from my file server). With fast Internet it's not too bad on the upload (I have FiOS and it took a couple of days to do the initial upload)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Captain Geech posted:

For future reference:

mount -uw
chflags 0 /Volumes/"name of disk"
chown 0:80 /Volumes/"name of disk"
chmod 1775 /Volumes/"name of disk"
chmod -N /Volumes/"name of disk"
That's actually good to know. We've had a couple of customers do similar things, and generally we just chmod -r 777 /, then reinstall the OS, then repair the home directory ACLs. It takes a little while, but it's always done OK.