Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Skizzles posted:

ButWhatIf, is that the myth or the truth, that only those 9 dogs can understand dominance cues? I had never heard of it!

That's the actual truth, and when I'm off work I'll hunt up the study Dr. Ha referenced. You can see the presentation of his lecture on a DVD published by TawzerDog, but I'm not sure what the availability of it is. I had the privilege of getting to view it as part of my job orientation, along with another Dr. Ha lecture on confrontational vs non-confrontational training adding to aggression in dogs. Gives me something to aspire to!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Sometimes I force Major to wear his muzzle, stick peanut butter in the end, and then mock him.

It's like a kong stuck to his face.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Oh man, talk about moments when I wish I had my camera...

There are two dog beds side by side in our family room right now. Nibbler was on the one closest to me, snoozing. Husker got a wild hair up and started romping around, and he stopped in front of Nibbler and started play-bowing and wagging. Nibbler looked at him like, "Um, what?"

Husker went into full-on PLAY PLAY PLAY mode. He barked, he nosed under the edge of the dog bed, he poked his paw right in front of Nibbler's face and made weird noises...Nibbler's ears were back, but no hissing or swatting.

Finally the cat was too weirded out and he ran away. Husker looked so sad.

I was in tears by the end.

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010

RazorBunny posted:

I think something in my house makes otherwise-house trained dogs want to pee here. Our friends came over for our usual Sunday craft night and they brought their new foster dog. He hasn't had any accidents at their house. He peed on the corner of the bookshelf where I keep my cookbooks...twice.

This is about the fourth or fifth dog who has urinated inside my home, and all but one of them was completely house trained. I always treat the hell out of any accident spots with Nature's Miracle, and it's not like all these dogs go to the same corner to pee.

Anyway, this is Wizard:

He seems like a very sweet dog. I didn't pet him because he also looks like dog allergy city, but he got lots of love from everybody else.

I just wish I knew why dogs pee in my house. I know the old couple that lived here before used to have a crotchety old dog, and there are a couple of urine scalds on the hardwood floor where they didn't clean up after him, but the whole house has been mopped and carpet-steamed and wiped down many times over. It would be very surprising to me if anything in this house still smells like dog urine.

:(

Those urine scalds you were talking about? One of my friends moved into a house with that kind of marking on the hardwoods. She wanted to get them refinished to remove the marks, but when the workers came in to re-sand the floors, there were areas where no matter how much they sanded, they couldn't remove the darkened wood......it has soaked down that far into the planks! Plus areas that seemed fine, once they sanded the scratched and marred finish off and got into the wood, they discovered slightly darkened areas everywhere.

If there are areas that are darkened enough so that you can see them, there are very likely many more areas that you can't see. Those darkened places are the result of a dog peeing over and over again in the same place, usually on a rug that then helps the pee just sit and soak into the floor.

My point is that your floor may well be a smorgasbord of animal/urine smells to the dogs that come visit. :(

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Awesome :sigh: Oh well, the carpets and flooring in this house are lovely anyway, and they're on the replacement list.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Skizzles posted:

Yes, I am definitely going to add that one. Here's a list of what I'm gonna try and do so far:

- Dominance theory myths (but it'll be brief, or else it'll end up being a post in and of itself).
- The guilty look.
- Mixed breed behavior.
- Comforting a terrified dog reinforces its fear.
- A dog wagging his tail means he's happy.
- All shelter dogs are broken.
- If a shelter dog is shy/fearful it was probably abused.
- Neuter/spay myths like "but he'll miss his balls!" or "she'll be sad she never got to be a mom!"
- Old dogs can't be trained/broken of bad habits.

I thought about adding the "blue pits are rare, special dogs" myth but I think I'll save that for my big pit post.

Dog aggression = people aggression
Growling should be discouraged
Only bad dogs bite/good dogs will never bite

There's a good list of myths about aggressive/reactive dogs here.

Myths about different dog signals/body language could be a whole post on itself. Wagging tails is just the tip of the iceberg.

Razerbunny posted:

I've been told by a lot of people that a dog pressing its body against you is a dominance display, and that Husker leaning on me is a sign that he doesn't respect my place in our pack Even if I believed in the dominance theory stuff, it baffles me how affectionate leaning could possibly be a sign of dominance. He's not pushing me, just pressing his shoulder against my thigh.

While the respect thing is a load of crap, there are several reasons why a dog might lean or jump on you. Dogs will lean on you for affection, for support, or as a correction/an attempt to control the situation. Brenda Aloff calls it 'repelling you out of space' and it is the dog's attempt to show you that it didn't like whatever you were doing and move you around, which changes the context of the situation.

Psyche has done all three to me, in the same training session. Once you know what to look for, there's quite a difference. Of course, Husker may always just be showing you affection. :)

I wouldn't call it dominance in the dominance theory/respect/wolves bullshit way, but I would call it a myth that dogs that jump when greeting are mostly just friendly or overexcited (in a good way). I think they are often anxious and are attempting to control the situation by moving the people around. You see jumping/moving into pressure/jumping as a correction a lot with reactive dogs.

Kiri koli fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 31, 2012

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Paint me like one of your French girls.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

RazorBunny posted:

I've been told by a lot of people that a dog pressing its body against you is a dominance display

I used to be butthurt that my sighthound mutt never leaned against me. Now that I know better I understand that she just respects me and isn't displaying dominance. Thanks thread!

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Thanks, Kiri.

Shadow will frequently lean against people when he's feeling really lovey and happy. :3:

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
Quaffle leans against me constantly and sleeps on my bed. Clearly I am his bitch.

Sometimes he actually leans so hard I have to brace him with my hand before I move away. :3:

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Oh man when my head is level with the top of the cage, my conure Sunny will run over, crawl under my chin and lean on my neck/face. Animals are awesome. :3:

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:

Chido posted:

Paint me like one of your French girls.

I admit that I find this so bizarre. Does she want belly scratches?

CyO
Oct 11, 2007
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

It's a dominance thing. You have to alpha roll your chickens regularly.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

Nope, I was testing my chickens to see if they were tame and docile enough to let me put them on their back. Roo is, kinda XD.

The Prismatic Goth
May 31, 2001

This appeared in my facebook newsfeed. I want a dog that can fish for me too.

(This was unprompted - his owner threw a toy into the water, and he came back with a fish instead of the toy :buddy:)

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

FlyingFish posted:

(This was unprompted - his owner threw a toy into the water, and he came back with a fish instead of the toy :buddy:)

omg BEST DOG :buddy:

I hope they took that fish home and cooked it for him. That is really the only thing to do.

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

FlyingFish posted:

SBT's man,they always do what you least expect.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Can someone either reassure me/tell me what to do?

My dog, an 11 year old Schnauzer/Poodle cross, had a number (3 or 4) of little bumps on her, mostly on her ears and paws. They didn't seem to be bugging her or anything, but we took her to the vet anyway, in June. The vet said that they were just wart-like bumps, common in older dogs.

Anyways, a couple weeks ago Terra got another one on her leg, but this time I noticed it because it was much bigger than the others, about the size of a pebble, and it bled. So I took her to the vet again, and the vet (it was a different vet, but at the same hospital) looked at it and said it was a papilloma as well.

I really stressed that I was worried about the fact that this one was bigger and was bleeding when the others weren't, but she said it was completely fine, it was the same as the others, and it could be surgically removed if we wanted it to but didn't have to be.

Now I'm kind of panicking that the vet didn't actually test it or anything to make sure it wasn't anything worse, and didn't even say that was an option. Is this normal, or do you guys think I should go to another vet for a second opinion or something? Or am I just worrying over nothing? :ohdear:

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
So I thought you all would enjoy this after the recent goat chat in this thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IuRzJRrRpQ&feature=youtu.be

Aravenna posted:

Quaffle leans against me constantly and sleeps on my bed. Clearly I am his bitch.

Sometimes he actually leans so hard I have to brace him with my hand before I move away. :3:

George sleeps on my bed too and leans on me and jumps on me when he's excited. I know I should not allow that sort of thing but I really like it so I do. If he can't get on the bed with me he'll lay beside it and quietly grumble periodically until he manages to sneak up there.

Today I laid down on the couch to take a nap and he tried to fit himself on there with me, but it is not a very big couch and he couldn't figure out how to do it comfortably. So he just gave up and flopped down on my torso. I drew the line there, mostly because he weighs 80+ pounds and there is no way for that to be comfortable.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Take one terrier, hyped up from no walks all day, and offer a ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34EFQks71Wk

2tomorrow posted:

So I thought you all would enjoy this after the recent goat chat in this thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IuRzJRrRpQ&feature=youtu.be

This is fantastic :3:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

HookShot posted:

Can someone either reassure me/tell me what to do?

COMPLETELY normal. :) A lot of dogs, especially the breeds your dog is, get those as they get older. Some just sit there, others ooze/bleed. :barf: Really, they are completely harmless and totally not worth removing unless they are in your dog's way some how or constantly getting a secondary infection or something, because they grow right back. The only thing to do is make sure you clean the oozy ones every day so the stuff doesn't crust into the hair. Also, your groomer might make them bleed for as little as just washing them, so that's also nothing to worry about. :)

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Okay I think I've peeled off enough fat to mostly tell

....that you guys are completely right and it's just his neck and shoulders that are bulking. The More You Know.

Also, I tried to stack Frankie!

He didn't know what I wanted and kept trembling whilst drooping slowly. He did not look much different before he began to droop, so there you have it. :buddy:

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

It really is a cool effect, looking at Moses head-on. It's like his entire head consists of a giant gaping-wide mouth, tongue, nose, and two eyes. And that's it. He really is like a langolier that only eats babies.

Also, poor Frankie. Something about Frankie always makes me mentally prefix the word "poor" to his name, because he just always looks vaguely pathetic and/or sad, one way or another. But I actually say that to a lot of my pets, like ALL the the time. "Aww, poor <insert cat or dog here>" whether I'm speaking sarcastically or literally. I've always wondered if other people do that, or not

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

kaworu posted:

Also, poor Frankie. Something about Frankie always makes me mentally prefix the word "poor" to his name, because he just always looks vaguely pathetic and/or sad, one way or another. But I actually say that to a lot of my pets, like ALL the the time. "Aww, poor <insert cat or dog here>" whether I'm speaking sarcastically or literally. I've always wondered if other people do that, or not

Frankie just hates being around Moses because Moses is horrible to him. They're only together when I'm with them, which is usually when I also happen to be taking pictures. He develops a personality again and stops looking so pathetic when he's not around That Mean Dog. :v:

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Superconsndar posted:

Frankie just hates being around Moses because Moses is horrible to him. They're only together when I'm with them, which is usually when I also happen to be taking pictures. He develops a personalityY again and stops looking so pathetic when he's not around That Mean Dog. :v:

Y'know, that actually explains a lot, like why in so many of the Moses videos Frankie is sometimes seen skulking around the outskirts of the frame and keeping one of his weird eyes on Moses all the time. And you're right, even in the above pictures he's totally focused on Moses who seems totally oblivious to this and is all like :iamafag:

Cats can definitely be the same way. My cat Jackie is like Frankie - if she's ever around a cat that's more aggressive than her (pretty much all other cats in existence) she goes all defensive and pathetic and weird. Then when she's alone she goes right back to her normal, awesome personality. Interestingly enough she's totally okay with most every dog she's met. Although Moses would probably just eat her in fairly short order I think :v:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

WolfensteinBag posted:

COMPLETELY normal. :) A lot of dogs, especially the breeds your dog is, get those as they get older. Some just sit there, others ooze/bleed. :barf: Really, they are completely harmless and totally not worth removing unless they are in your dog's way some how or constantly getting a secondary infection or something, because they grow right back. The only thing to do is make sure you clean the oozy ones every day so the stuff doesn't crust into the hair. Also, your groomer might make them bleed for as little as just washing them, so that's also nothing to worry about. :)

Thanks so much for reassuring me!! :) I really, really appreciate it. I hate that Terra's getting old and I'm starting to panic about every single little thing :ohdear:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

2tomorrow posted:

Baby goats! Baby goats are the best :3:

Major's 2 year adoption anniversary is in a week so I got him a new collar. I really need to sort through his collection and give some to charity. It's getting ridiculous but I can't stop.

His is the one with the gold suede lining.

He's also getting a fun trip to the vet for shots, bloodwork, and probably hip x rays because he is a genetic trainwreck and it's important for me to never leave the vet without spending at least $250.

vv I love my MM, I couldn't have done car work without it. I need to buy a new remote because I keep losing them though. vv

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 31, 2012

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

I splurged on a Manners Minder last weekend. I went to my second Operant Conditioning Workshop (a.k.a. "Chicken camp") and one of the attendees had brought some stuff her store sold. I resisted for a few hours and then got the MM. It's heaps of fun. Rho was worried about it at first, especially the sound. By the end of the session he'd been conditioned to the beep AND the "scary" sound the machine makes when it turns. Both dogs sat there staring at the MM and wondering how to make it give food. It may not be the best thing ever, but I'm sure it comes pretty close :)

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Major's 2 year adoption anniversary is in a week so I got him a new collar. I really need to sort through his collection and give some to charity. It's getting ridiculous but I can't stop.

I have thirteen collars, a halti, three harnesses (all for Lola), a slip leash, three normal leashes, a short leash for reactivity stuff, and I'm pretty sure I still have Lola's puppy leashes and collar around somewhere. :negative: I have two dogs. If you ever discover a cure for this poo poo, let me know.

I am so proud of my dog today. This morning, we ended up seeing two loose dogs running around in the main road. I ended up chasing them, with Lola off lead and keeping with me, with her leash in hand, for a good ten minutes or so before I managed to get the fat female staffie/mastiff type dog hooked on the leash. I found the male staffie and thankfully by the time I'd gotten hold of them both, we were only a street away from their house - someone recognised them.

Lola was a very Good Dog and didn't try to eat either, and also didn't try to run in the traffic. She got all wiggly at the girl dog :3:

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
So Max's lovely Petco collar's buckle broke just as we were walking past a dog-aggressive dog on the other side of my apartment complex's lawn area and Max bolted over to the other dog and probably would've gotten eaten had the other dog's owner not tackled it in time, the other dog was easily twice or three times Max's size. I picked him up and carried him home because I didn't trust the buckle on his collar not to break again.

I went out and got him a leather harness that I hope won't break (the leash attaches through a set of D rings that reinforce the buckle).

Look at this Good Dog

He had his vet checkup today, he's perfectly healthy except for that he needs to get his canine teeth removed because they're in pretty horrible shape and fractured. The shelter people think he wore them down chewing on the bars of a cage. Poor doggy. He's going to get them yanked when he's put under for his neutering surgery next Friday.

This is what his canines look like as of now:

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

Is there any way you could draw some lines along where you want his body to be? I am interested in where you want Moses to be in regards to his body shape, but don't know enough to follow what you talk about. :downs:

Frankie is a majestic beast.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

kaworu posted:

Y'know, that actually explains a lot, like why in so many of the Moses videos Frankie is sometimes seen skulking around the outskirts of the frame and keeping one of his weird eyes on Moses all the time. And you're right, even in the above pictures he's totally focused on Moses who seems totally oblivious to this and is all like :iamafag:

Cats can definitely be the same way. My cat Jackie is like Frankie - if she's ever around a cat that's more aggressive than her (pretty much all other cats in existence) she goes all defensive and pathetic and weird. Then when she's alone she goes right back to her normal, awesome personality. Interestingly enough she's totally okay with most every dog she's met. Although Moses would probably just eat her in fairly short order I think :v:

Yeah, I have to work to strike a balance between them that doesn't result in Frankie being totally tossed aside while also making sure Moses doesn't see me pay too much attention to him. If Frankie gets ANYTHING that Moses doesn't get, or gets to do anything that Moses doesn't get to do, Moses will go after him the second he sees it. If I'm standing right there he knows that going after him at that moment won't fly, so he'll settle for just being really rude and lovely to him while I constantly redirect him- he can't be scolded or punished for it or he'll have a meltdown, shut down completely towards me, and start attacking Frankie at random and without warning. Rewarding him when I pay attention to Frankie and making me paying attention to Frankie a fun thing for him worked when he was younger, but as he's matured he's stopped caring and his only goal will be to make sure that Frankie doesn't get talked to or patted when he can see him. So, for Frankie's safety, when they are around each other I have to pretty much exclusively pay attention to Moses while ignoring Frankie and Frankie's gotten used to it and just kind of skulks in the background until we're done.

Frankie gets all of his attention inside and gets to sleep in bed and stink up people's laps and barkbarkbark without have to droop and sag and mope everywhere he goes. However, Moses is NOT COOL with Frankie being inside while he is outside, and tends to want to go for Frankie the second he comes outside because "YOU WERE IN THE HOUSE!!!" so I can never just waltz outside with Frankie while Moses is in the yard- instead I have to swap them, sending Frankie out alone for a few minutes, so Moses can go "HAHA SEE IM INSIDE NOW AND THAT OTHER GUY IS OUT, SO I WIN." Then, after a few minutes, we can go out together and in Moses dog brain, everything has reset and HE was the one inside doing cool stuff, while Frankie was totally rotting in the yard where uncool dogs go. :smug: It doesn't matter that Frankie could have been inside for 5 hours and Moses was only in for 5 minutes, because dogs are dumb and the world is always new.

Lots and lots of little convoluted things like that have to be done to make it so that Moses will still tolerate Frankie's presence under supervision, and I think with Moses level of DA most people would just be doing total separation by now but it's worth it to me to keep Moses in a state where he has the ability to keep his poo poo together around Frankie so w/e. The still do occasionally play together (though I can only allow them to play in certain ways) and do normal dawg stuff, so it's not all barely stifled dog rage. Frankie is melodramatic but irl he gets loads of attention, just not when That Mean Dog can see. :v:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

four lean hounds posted:

Is there any way you could draw some lines along where you want his body to be? I am interested in where you want Moses to be in regards to his body shape, but don't know enough to follow what you talk about. :downs:

Frankie is a majestic beast.

I can never, ever get him in a picture of a good square stack. I overstack him badly and then on top of it he droops and goes a-framed because he is immediately bored of me taking pictures. I'll see what the last bad one is I have and do some lines on it. He is full of flaws but EVEN WITH BEEF he's moderate for how he's bred.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Super have you ever seen a pitty that absolutely floored you with confirmation both in appropriate pitty behavior and nice form?

I guess question that goes for anyone in PI who owns a purebred dog or is heavily invested/interested in them. Genuinely interested if such a thing actually exists, or is just strived for.

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

Instant Jellyfish posted:

His is the one with the gold suede lining.

He's also getting a fun trip to the vet for shots, bloodwork, and probably hip x rays because he is a genetic trainwreck and it's important for me to never leave the vet without spending at least $250.

vv I love my MM, I couldn't have done car work without it. I need to buy a new remote because I keep losing them though. vv

I loving love Ella's lead. She has managed to procure Stafford Knot conchos to make Eva a reproduction of this old time Stafford collar.

The dog in the picture is True Briton, a son of Ch Gentleman Jim and one of Eva's ancestors.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Kerfuffle posted:

Super have you ever seen a pitty that absolutely floored you with confirmation both in appropriate pitty behavior and nice form?

I guess question that goes for anyone in PI who owns a purebred dog or is heavily invested/interested in them. Genuinely interested if such a thing actually exists, or is just strived for.

In short, not really, but that's less because of a lack of those dogs and more because of personal preferences and biases (some of which are stupid and pretty invalid, I will be the first to admit.) Will post explanation tomorrow when I have time for :words: hnnng

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
This afternoon Terra was laying on the rug on the floor, when suddenly she farted really loudly and audibly (she's usually the queen of silent but deadly). While funny in and of itself, the best part is as soon as she did it she jumped up and ran a couple steps before turning around, obviously having gotten a huge shock.

That's right, she managed to scare herself with her own fart :psyduck:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

HookShot posted:

This afternoon Terra was laying on the rug on the floor, when suddenly she farted really loudly and audibly (she's usually the queen of silent but deadly). While funny in and of itself, the best part is as soon as she did it she jumped up and ran a couple steps before turning around, obviously having gotten a huge shock.

That's right, she managed to scare herself with her own fart :psyduck:

Haha, it's amazing, right? Feldman has woken himself up doing that. He'd fart loud enough that'd he'd startle himself awake and barking because of it. :3:

The day dogs learn how to cropdust, god help us all. :negative:

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

When Angus managed to get a piece of bone lodged in his esophagus he swallowed a TON of air and swelled up like a balloon. His x-rays showed a stomach so full of air it was bigger than his ribcage. He tooted extraordinary amounts that night and managed to startle himself several times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Kerfuffle posted:

I've seen photos online of some JRTs that I would pay anything to own. There's also a staffie that lives in my town that is pretty goddamn gorgeous and basically my ideal for how the breed should look.

Question for Super: is Moses' level of DA normal in how he expresses it? I always thought the standard pit bulls response would be less... emotionally invested in what the other dog was doing. My Jess isn't emotional about it at all, she just wants to start fights.

• Locked thread