Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JetSet
Jan 2, 2004
Germanologist

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Doesn't matter, yearly review comes around, he gets a raise. Even if you give him a poo poo raise of 2%, and you do that for 15 years, he'll salary cap. You can't fire him, and you can't not give him a raise at our establishment. We also have 3 barely decent cooks making $20/hr because they haven't been bad enough to fire over 15+ years.

If that truly is the case (and I highly doubt it is), then your hotel has god-awful management to let a union grab them by the balls so tightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Had some friends over for dinner and movies tonight. Nothing special just some burgers fresh off the grill, fresh corn on the cob and some other odds and ends. Lettuce for the burgers came from my cool gardening neighbor and the corn is unbelievably tasty right about now.

I like having low maintenance friends where we can sit and BS and watch some movies and poo poo.

I even sharpened my friend's kitchen knives and a buddy's pocket knife during a lull in the movie. Now we can all go chop poo poo up. Yee-haw!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

mindphlux posted:

but enough about horrible weddings - what are some weddings you guys have been to that have been really awesome? (need to start doing some research here :3: )

I don't know if it was awesome (to me it was), but my wife and I did the following.

We got married at the city hall, only witnessed by my wife's grandmother (who was sworn to secrecy), and a year after we redid it in the church.

We asked the minister (a female one), to inform the guests in her speech about the fact that they weren't at a wedding, but rather at a blessing of an already excisting marriage.

She was having a good time with it - so as we were facing the alter, she informed the church that we had already done the deed, silence fell on the church..

Then the first started to laugh, and a wave of merriment crashed over us from behind.

A lot of speeches got rewritten, we went on to have a party where the only things that I had decided was that the cook (who was someone we knew, and who is really good) would get free hands in both materials and in the menu (I actually tried to get him to spend more on materials, but apparantly it wasn't possible).

The dinner was from 5pm to 1am - interrupted by the wedding dance, can't remember the menu, but pine needles was featured in it..

There were 18 speeches - 2 of them was awkward (because parents - but :3)

There were a free bar, I guess we had bought around 20 bottles of booze.

100 bottles of wine was drunk, 5 or 6 cases of beer.

The party stopped at 6am - parents started to leave at 3am.

The venue was in the center of town, with plenty of sleeping arrangements nearby, plus I had knocked up my wife, so she could drive!

The only thing I would have done differently was to have a band for the music (we had decided to get a jukebox, because this was all low budget).

40 people attended (we don't do the huge wedding thing that americans do)

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Also - hey, back from Alsace..

It was good! Got the best calf kidneys ever at an Auberge where I had a stone in the brakes of the car.

I have saved tons of money, the trip practically paid for itself!

I bought 60 bottles.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I don't think we say it enough, HappyHat, so let me repeat:

I love you, HappyHat. <3

Finished reading Flowers for Algernon, and cried and cried. God drat, what an awesome short story.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I'm staying with friends at their place in the country. They've got two kittens and a puppy! My cuteness cup overfloweth. I've just made us all scones for tea, which we will top with cream and strawberries I just picked from their garden: I purÊed some, chopped the rest, and mixed them all with a bit of caster sugar. gently caress yeah.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
There's a big rear end concert in town this weekend with Neil McCoy and Lonestar and a bunch of other terrible country acts that has brought 10000 wannabe rednecks to our peaceful valley, and they've overrun the town like they do every year. We're trying to lay low and away from main street, so we're throwing a backyard party for a friend who just got her master's yesterday. We're going to play Norteņo music and grill up meat and tortillas and peaches.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Happy Hat posted:

I don't know if it was awesome (to me it was), but my wife and I did the following.

We got married at the city hall, only witnessed by my wife's grandmother (who was sworn to secrecy), and a year after we redid it in the church.

We asked the minister (a female one), to inform the guests in her speech about the fact that they weren't at a wedding, but rather at a blessing of an already excisting marriage.

She was having a good time with it - so as we were facing the alter, she informed the church that we had already done the deed, silence fell on the church..

Then the first started to laugh, and a wave of merriment crashed over us from behind.

A lot of speeches got rewritten, we went on to have a party where the only things that I had decided was that the cook (who was someone we knew, and who is really good) would get free hands in both materials and in the menu (I actually tried to get him to spend more on materials, but apparantly it wasn't possible).

The dinner was from 5pm to 1am - interrupted by the wedding dance, can't remember the menu, but pine needles was featured in it..

There were 18 speeches - 2 of them was awkward (because parents - but :3)

There were a free bar, I guess we had bought around 20 bottles of booze.

100 bottles of wine was drunk, 5 or 6 cases of beer.

The party stopped at 6am - parents started to leave at 3am.

The venue was in the center of town, with plenty of sleeping arrangements nearby, plus I had knocked up my wife, so she could drive!

The only thing I would have done differently was to have a band for the music (we had decided to get a jukebox, because this was all low budget).

40 people attended (we don't do the huge wedding thing that americans do)

this is awesome. :)

added to my Very-Successful-Wedding-Checklist : * venue that doesn't kick you out after a certain amount of time, with nearby sleeping accommodations.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Still in new Orleans, suggestions for dinner?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I picked up a fresh packet of sichuan pepper to make mapo today. My whole face is both numb and on fire at the same time. :gizz:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

mindphlux posted:

this is awesome. :)

added to my Very-Successful-Wedding-Checklist : * venue that doesn't kick you out after a certain amount of time, with nearby sleeping accommodations.

We got married in a hotel in the Scottish countryside, so not only were the ceremony, breakfast and reception all in the same place, but once the official party had stopped, there was the hotel bar to abuse.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Happy Hat posted:

The bolded part is key. Mother-In-Law turned the quiet legal ceremony into an EVENT, my parents (whom I had specifically told not to be there) understandably flipped out. Then MIL decided she (and the rest of the fam) wasn't coming to the actual wedding because she had already seen us get married once, and my mother got so angry at me for telling her not to go to the courthouse and then trying to plan my own wedding (she wanted me to fly HER minister cross-country for the service. I had never met him) that she threw a tantrum and said she wouldn't go to the wedding either.

End result: Bride and Groom didn't get anything near the wedding they wanted, serious family resentments are born and a wedding dress hangs sadly unused in my closet. But my MIL finally got to live out the wedding she had always wanted!

Please, learn from my mistakes.

Jerry's Final Thought: We still ended up married. That's the important thing.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

The main reason we had my wife's grandmother attend was because she was 89, and would probably die soon..

She died last year, just before our 10th anniversary.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I'm at a party where a bunch of drunks are trying to roast a pig. I may die. Also there's a baby.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Also the baby has a Mohawk.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
If you start a fight with one of the drunks (or the baby) won't you be right at home?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

The pig fell apart on the spit. I still may die.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Drink and Fight posted:

I'm at a party where a bunch of drunks are trying to roast a pig. I may die. Also there's a baby.

I hope they started the baby long after the pig otherwise it's gonna be all dried out. :ohdear:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

When my uncle got married, it was in a protestant church of some stripe. Now, my grandparents are Catholic. Many of my aunts and uncles are Catholic. Nobody cared because it was a very touching ceremony and the reception had an open bar and all manner of delicious goodies. Brie en croûte. Brownies. Various meat things. Jesus wept, it was magical.

There was also champagne and the most incredible cake, made up to look like a beach with surfboards on it. My uncle makes surfboards. :3:

Also, the priest was a lady. She was cute.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
And on the sixth day, the lord created hangovers and connecting flights. Ouch.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
so, with my left over duck carcass, I pressure cooked it with some aromatics for a while, augmented the resulting stock with some chicken stock I had made earlier and a bit of beefy flavoring elements.

made french onion soup with duck stock. :c00l:

checkmate, world. poo poo was good as hell.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The tipping thing confuses me greatly. Do people actually work out percentages etc? Here if I pay by card then you'll get an amount of money I have in my pocket that's probably 10-15% of the total bill assuming you weren't actively bad at being a waiter. If it's cash then you get whatever's left after the bill + some arbitrary amount, if the bill was say Ŗ95 then I'll pay either Ŗ110 or Ŗ120 depending if I've got Ŗ10's or just Ŗ20's, never Ŗ115 as I like to keep my fivers.

I always tip in cash because some places here have started charging it's staff a 'handling fee' to process tips done by card.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Aramoro posted:

The tipping thing confuses me greatly. Do people actually work out percentages etc?

Yes, roughly. I almost never carry cash so I usually just add 10% to the bill, which is a fairly standard tip here.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

The world would be a better place if everyone had to support themselves for at least one year working a tip-dependent job.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Aramoro posted:

The tipping thing confuses me greatly. Do people actually work out percentages etc? Here if I pay by card then you'll get an amount of money I have in my pocket that's probably 10-15% of the total bill assuming you weren't actively bad at being a waiter. If it's cash then you get whatever's left after the bill + some arbitrary amount, if the bill was say Ŗ95 then I'll pay either Ŗ110 or Ŗ120 depending if I've got Ŗ10's or just Ŗ20's, never Ŗ115 as I like to keep my fivers.

I always tip in cash because some places here have started charging it's staff a 'handling fee' to process tips done by card.
It's different in US vs UK... in France tipping can be literally pocket change. In the States it's very much a standardized thing and that's how the restaurants are structured. Some restaurants even calculate 15/20/25 percent tips for you and print the numbers on the bill.

mindphlux posted:

so, with my left over duck carcass, I pressure cooked it with some aromatics for a while, augmented the resulting stock with some chicken stock I had made earlier and a bit of beefy flavoring elements.

made french onion soup with duck stock. :c00l:

checkmate, world. poo poo was good as hell.
Sounds weird but if you ever make a duck consomme again or anything like that adding five-spice makes it explode... for real.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bartolimu posted:

The world would be a better place if everyone had to support themselves for at least one year working a tip-dependent job.

That or retail. Preferably at least 6 months at each.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Just got back from gorgeous Philly. Was in the Chestnut Hill area, with my friend, and her cousin. They took me to Rocco's Italian Ice to try "Water Ice". Very delicious. It's like the shaved ice I get in my neighbourhood, but the flavour is much more intense, and the ice crystals are like little tiny itty bitty beads. No rough edges or shards at all. And unlike the shaved ice, which is essentially shaved ice with a bit of syrup on, this seemed to be a syrup with ice in. Very tasty. And, of course, the wonderful Philadelphia soft pretzels. I /really/ need to head down there more often.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There's been a recent trend in the LA area's Chinese dessert shops towards "shaved snow" which is shaved flakes of ice cream instead of ice. The ice cream they use is more watery than regular ice cream I think, possibly to maintain the desired flakey texture.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Manuel Calavera posted:

That or retail. Preferably at least 6 months at each.

gently caress that, not when landscaping is an option. Backbreaking labor and heatstroke are way better then putting up with retail or food service poo poo.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

bartolimu posted:

Fuckin absolutely.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Goon approved National Service sounds a bit lovely, TBH.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Steakandchips posted:

Goon approved National Service sounds a bit lovely, TBH.
I think that's the point.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.
Dino, did you have a chance to go to the Reading Terminal Market? It's fun to wander around. Crowded as all get out though.

I'm going to be back in Delaware for a few days soon and I am looking forward to stocking up on Dogfish Head's brown honey rum. Also, crabs.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I ate my first softshell crab in the Reading Terminal Market. It was lightly breaded and fried, served on a bun with a splort of mayo and some lettuce, and absolutely amazing.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

bartolimu posted:

Word. Of course, best case scenario would be a world where everyone is paid a living wage for full-time work, but that's never going to happen in the US.

It's not even so much the wage instability as it is the attitude that it engenders in customers- that if they are not sufficiently impressed, the person serving them need not be paid more than $2.13/hr. Can you imagine that standard being applied to any other profession? It's humiliating to have to tolerate abuse to make money- some people take it better than others but it always sucks.

I speak from experience when I say that standard restaurant labor practices are broken from pretty much every direction. But one thing everyone should agree on is that we should treat tipped employees with respect, and respect includes the right to a fair wage, no matter who "should" be paying for it. It is what it is- work to change the system if you want, but don't penalize those who are living in it.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Aramoro posted:

The tipping thing confuses me greatly. Do people actually work out percentages etc?

I take the first number of the total amount of my bill and then double it as a baseline, and then add a few bucks more if service was particularly good - in america anyways.

so a $46 tab gets $4 * 2 = $8 + $0-5

also I think I gotta disagree about the 'world would be a better place if everyone worked a tip-based job' thing. people work those jobs by choice. there are plenty of targets, home depots, malls, AT&T stores, best buys, landscapers, administrative assistant positions, kitchen positions (we don't get tipped, you know), blah blah blah in the world.

I'm not saying tip lovely, but waitstaff know what they're getting in to, and goddamn I have never met more self absorbed bitchy entitled cunts in any line of work including the financial services industry and lawyers, which you'd think would be hard to beat.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

mindphlux posted:

also I think I gotta disagree about the 'world would be a better place if everyone worked a tip-based job' thing. people work those jobs by choice. there are plenty of targets, home depots, malls, AT&T stores, best buys, landscapers, administrative assistant positions, kitchen positions (we don't get tipped, you know), blah blah blah in the world.
Ha ha... already identifying as a cook?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

No Wave posted:

Ha ha... already identifying as a cook?

I've worked in a kitchen to pay the bills before.

it was a long time ago, and for only about 6-8 months, but I've done it.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 31, 2012

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bunnielab posted:

gently caress that, not when landscaping is an option. Backbreaking labor and heatstroke are way better then putting up with retail or food service poo poo.

Also a possibility! But only if they're treated as a migrant worker during their stint.

@mindphlux - I figure you know this, but. The idea is that it would knock some snotty fuckers down and make them understand why they shouldn't abuse the "lowly" service folk just because they've got daddy's platinum card. Something like that.

On an unrelated note. http://tompreston.deviantart.com/art/Soapbox-Derpy-Appreciate-This-317598837 here's this thing on Deviantart. But wait, it gets interesting. http://comments.deviantart.com/1/317598837/2668664320 there's this comment string. And this girl is just...so...I don't even know. It's loving mind-boggling. I think she might be broken.

If you don't want to read it. She eventually gets to the point of explaining why she's against same-sex marriage. "Because umm what if a gay dad wants to touch his kid UGH? And ladies will get jealous because I know I would!"

I know this isn't really the place for it. But I just had to share it.
:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I do as mindphlux on this, my only problems with your capitalistic tipping systems are:

1. It is unworthy treatment of humans to pay them USD 2.13 an hour in a society with your middle and median income
2. I dislike lickspittles and sycophantic behaviour, and this promotes such in my server

Regardless of the quality of the service I have never undertipped on purpose - but some of the things you guys tip (tour guides, bus-drivers etc.) I simply do not understand why should be tipped, unless they too get USD 2.13 per hour too?

With regards to line-cooks being envious of the better conditions of the serving people - well... A large part of the experience of dining somewhere is the experience and atmosphere that the host is able to create, and instead of being jealous of their wage, if yours is too low, the answer isn't lowering someone elses to make yours seem higher, that would actually not really make any kind of sense, at all, anywhere, ever.