Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I just mean everyone could get their own Pentax with 50mm F2 for like $35. Then everyone would have the same camera and they could keep it and not ship it all over for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impact Damage
Mar 1, 2007

Try to avoid these conditions as much as possible.
We could just send around a 4x5 view camera and everyone can shoot and post their collodion wetplates.

Impact Damage
Mar 1, 2007

What if we sent around an old Kodak box camera? Those are pretty cheap and light. Is there any aversion to shooting a single roll of medium format? Plus we could leave behind our own little marks on the actual camera ala old school luggage with stamps and decals from every country, then the last person who gets it can post the camera as well.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

TomR posted:

I just mean everyone could get their own Pentax with 50mm F2 for like $35. Then everyone would have the same camera and they could keep it and not ship it all over for no reason.

It's already been pointed out, but the shipping and the journey is the reason.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
You know I feel like an rear end in a top hat now. I don't really want to get into it here but I've had a bad day and I'm taking it out in the wrong place, so I want to make it up.

I've got a better idea, it involves a little more effort but I think it has a better payoff and more "journey".

1)Get a camera to pass around.
2)Shoot some film.
3)Deliver in person to the next person.
3a)Take a photo of the two of you together at whatever meeting place you decide on.
4)Post photos
5)Goto 1

If you guys want to go for that I'll buy the drat camera.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

TomR posted:

You know I feel like an rear end in a top hat now. I don't really want to get into it here but I've had a bad day and I'm taking it out in the wrong place, so I want to make it up.

I've got a better idea, it involves a little more effort but I think it has a better payoff and more "journey".

1)Get a camera to pass around.
2)Shoot some film.
3)Deliver in person to the next person.
3a)Take a photo of the two of you together at whatever meeting place you decide on.
4)Post photos
5)Goto 1

If you guys want to go for that I'll buy the drat camera.

6) Post resulting meetup photos in thread "The Most Awkward Photographs Ever Taken"

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

You could also use a Pentax ME Super because it's probably best to send around a camera that's not very good or valuable.
Someone's gonna leave a horse head in your bed, I'm telling you.

The Affair
Jun 26, 2005

I hate snakes, Jock. I hate 'em!

I'd be down for the original AE1 idea. I think the trick here is to find the exact box + packing material at USPS to do a flat rate ship, that way there are absolutely no surprises on cost.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
An autofocus, prime-lensed point and shoot like a Nikon L35AF might be fun too. Or an Olympus XA!

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Manual primes are more fun for something like this in my opinion. More of a stamp from the user.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

rio posted:

Manual primes are more fun for something like this in my opinion. More of a stamp from the user.

Yeah I agree.

I'd actually even prefer a meterless camera for the same reason. The less the camera dictates - the more we crystallize what different people can coax out of the very same tool.

I'm in BTW, even though shipping costs might get expensive.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'll figure out some details (size and weight of the box, expected shipping costs), and start a thread. Seems like there's some interest.

I'm sticking with a 35mm SLR, for a few reasons.
1. That 80's semi-professional feel (two different prime lenses!)
2. More of a conversation starter, if you choose to actually talk to people when you shoot :tinfoil:
3. Full manual control. No autofocus, no Program mode. The AE-1 has shutter priority mode (even if the manual doesn't call it that), but that's it. The meter is simple and robust.
4. For the AE-1 specifically, this is one of the cameras that put Canon in the game. In the late '70's (if Wikipedia is to be believed), professionals used Nikon and everybody else fought it out in the weak consumer market. Canon pumped out a few million FD-mount brass boxes, and ended up with a reputation good enough for significant numbers of professionals to switch.
5. Shipping costs will be significant, which is why I'm very much advocating "slow-and-cheap" over any kind of speed. International economy, which is about one step up from slapping a note on the box and tossing it in the sea, will take weeks to months to cross from continent to continent, but will cost the least. I'll get some hard numbers.
6. The case is hard plastic, and I will be certainly be requesting people personalize it when it passes through their hands.
7. I think of photography as a way for people to show each other something of their world. Show me your world. I also think an AE-1 will be a better window into your world than a P&S (though I do acknowledge the clear cost savings for a P&S).

In person delivery would be awesome, but I want this thing to go global. There's nobody in the Dorkroom within 500km of me, anyways. I'm thinking the next person in line will be chosen by the current holder, since that's the person who's gotta pay shipping.

And now back to your regularly scheduled "fun stuff" discussion.

And somebody find XTimmy and beat those Bali pictures out of him!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

How about an Olympus OM? BGN bodies are cheap as hell on KEH, and the glass is cheap and very high-quality.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

He's already got the canon.

Impact Damage
Mar 1, 2007

Well since we seem to be moving forward with the AE-1 plan, I'm down, its about time i get involved with one of these forum telephone games. Is there a way to do any tracking with the cheapest shipping method without too much extra cost? Also, and maybe you'll cover this in your thread, but how do we determine order? I don't think itd make sense to ship back and fourth across the ocean more than necessary.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Impact Damage posted:

Well since we seem to be moving forward with the AE-1 plan, I'm down, its about time i get involved with one of these forum telephone games. Is there a way to do any tracking with the cheapest shipping method without too much extra cost? Also, and maybe you'll cover this in your thread, but how do we determine order? I don't think itd make sense to ship back and fourth across the ocean more than necessary.

It would be nice if we could organize handoffs for goons in larger cities to cut down on shipping for super poor people like me.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

evil_bunnY posted:

Someone's gonna leave a horse head in your bed, I'm telling you.

It's going to be Mr. Despair.

I'd be down for this business, it'll be really cool to see the kinds of pictures everybody takes using the exact same gear.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I went to a used bookstore and found hardcover versions of the Ansel Adams holy trinity (Camera / Negative / Print) as well as a hardcover version of Fred Picker's "Zone VI Workshop" all for $1 each :snoop:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

QPZIL posted:

It's going to be Mr. Despair.

I'd be down for this business, it'll be really cool to see the kinds of pictures everybody takes using the exact same gear.

I already took care of it.

:c00lbert:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ExecuDork posted:

I'll figure out some details (size and weight of the box, expected shipping costs), and start a thread. Seems like there's some interest.

I'm sticking with a 35mm SLR, for a few reasons.
1. That 80's semi-professional feel (two different prime lenses!)
2. More of a conversation starter, if you choose to actually talk to people when you shoot :tinfoil:
3. Full manual control. No autofocus, no Program mode. The AE-1 has shutter priority mode (even if the manual doesn't call it that), but that's it. The meter is simple and robust.
4. For the AE-1 specifically, this is one of the cameras that put Canon in the game. In the late '70's (if Wikipedia is to be believed), professionals used Nikon and everybody else fought it out in the weak consumer market. Canon pumped out a few million FD-mount brass boxes, and ended up with a reputation good enough for significant numbers of professionals to switch.
5. Shipping costs will be significant, which is why I'm very much advocating "slow-and-cheap" over any kind of speed. International economy, which is about one step up from slapping a note on the box and tossing it in the sea, will take weeks to months to cross from continent to continent, but will cost the least. I'll get some hard numbers.
6. The case is hard plastic, and I will be certainly be requesting people personalize it when it passes through their hands.
7. I think of photography as a way for people to show each other something of their world. Sho/w me your world. I also think an AE-1 will be a better window into your world than a P&S (though I do acknowledge the clear cost savings for a P&S).

In person delivery would be awesome, but I want this thing to go global. There's nobody in the Dorkroom within 500km of me, anyways. I'm thinking the next person in line will be chosen by the current holder, since that's the person who's gotta pay shipping.

And now back to your regularly scheduled "fun stuff" discussion.

And somebody find XTimmy and beat those Bali pictures out of him!

Definitely in.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Has anyone got some good recommendations on photographic history?

I'm not interested in the technical history, but more the artistic movements in contemporary photography. I come from the complete opposite background (engineering/physics), so I'm looking for something to give me a good grounding on the most influential photographers and the like.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

Spedman posted:

I'm not interested in the technical history, but more the artistic movements in contemporary photography. I come from the complete opposite background (engineering/physics), so I'm looking for something to give me a good grounding on the most influential photographers and the like.

i used this in my history of photo class in college, it has some of the technical aspects explained but also goes through a lot of the different movements and influential artists. it's the only textbook i've ever kept after the class was over

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Impact Damage posted:

I'll think about these things, and come up with some definite decisions when I put together the thread. Good points, thanks.

For now (non-binding! not a final decision!), I'm going to put together some shipping cost estimates once I have the case in my hands and all packed, so I can get accurate numbers. My girlfriend is bringing me the case tomorrow, then I'll weigh it and sort that stuff out. I'm assuming post-office websites will get me some pretty good numbers.

I think for the poorer folks who want to participate, we can certainly make arrangements so that nobody has to pay more to pass it along than they can easily afford. Remember: "Photography Dollars"

Hard numbers to come.

EDIT: Somebody please throw up some Zip codes and postal codes for wherever you are (you don't have to use *your* code, just something I can use to estimate shipping costs). USPS's website needs Zip codes, Canada Post wants codes, I haven't tried Australian or UK or Singaporean or whathaveyou, yet.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 31, 2012

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I'm in, zip code 48104.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I'm in 23606 and there are a handful of other goons in the area who very well may be interested.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Impact Damage
Mar 1, 2007

78641 represent

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Spedman posted:

I really enjoyed his lectures.

http://photohistory.jeffcurto.com/

The class basically starts with daguerreotypes and covers up to modern times. It covers a bit of technical history, but spends a lot of time with different influential photographers of each different "era"

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

57701 here.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
22031/22207. Lots of northern va goons.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I'm in at 94973.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
11211 right hurr.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Totally different track here.

Anyone ever used one of these?

A friend has one and might let me permanently borrow it. It's got a polaroid back and everything so it would be a very occasional thing, but. Anyone?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
/\/\/\ I've never even seen one of those before, but it looks cool. Can it take not-instant film?

OK, I've got the case, measured & weighed it, and found some shipping cost estimates. Making the thread now. Thanks for the zip codes, very helpful.

EDIT: Thread here - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3499036

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 1, 2012

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Awkward Davies posted:

Totally different track here.

Anyone ever used one of these?

A friend has one and might let me permanently borrow it. It's got a polaroid back and everything so it would be a very occasional thing, but. Anyone?

I have something similar, a Mamiya press camera. Bulky as hell but I like what it does.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

HPL posted:

I have something similar, a Mamiya press camera. Bulky as hell but I like what it does.

Hunh, you have any photos you could link me so I could see what it produces?

ExecuDork posted:

/\/\/\ I've never even seen one of those before, but it looks cool. Can it take not-instant film?

OK, I've got the case, measured & weighed it, and found some shipping cost estimates. Making the thread now. Thanks for the zip codes, very helpful.

Apparently it could take 120 with the appropriate adaptor, which I'm assuming is like $600.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Awkward Davies posted:

Hunh, you have any photos you could link me so I could see what it produces?

All I've shot with it so far is a few concerts and of those I've only actually developed two.

http://www.mikechow.com/Concerts2011/LGALiving/17967946_JfmTwf
http://www.mikechow.com/Concerts-2010/IncuraJapanese-GirlsMurder/14448462_Br685r

I set the flash to auto and used the "f/8 and be there" rule.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
(edit button pushing failure)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Affair
Jun 26, 2005

I hate snakes, Jock. I hate 'em!

37909 zip code.