Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
You could also come join our Pittsburgh facebook goon group to circumvent the awkwardness. I hope we end up playing at some point this season!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Benson Cunningham posted:

You could also come join our Pittsburgh facebook goon group to circumvent the awkwardness. I hope we end up playing at some point this season!

I'm actually in it; I think you invited me a while ago?

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Well then you should know what he looks like and you can avoid the stupid stairs conversation!

I played goalie in the first two sessions, but in this third one I actually get to skate out. My knee was in a bad way these last two weeks, so I expect to be huffing and wheezing a lot this first game back this upcoming weekend. Hopefully the schedule goes up soon.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
I went to Warrendale Bladerunners last night and played drop-in with the fast 18-21 year old crowd (for the most part, a few old dudes there but not many). I could actually keep up pretty well, as long as I kept my shifts short, haha.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Topoisomerase posted:

I went to Warrendale Bladerunners last night and played drop-in with the fast 18-21 year old crowd (for the most part, a few old dudes there but not many). I could actually keep up pretty well, as long as I kept my shifts short, haha.

Which was that, the 9pm pickup?

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

dms666 posted:

Which was that, the 9pm pickup?

yeah, 9:40 or something

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Topoisomerase posted:

yeah, 9:40 or something

I've only watched that one, but it seems like it usually has a lot higher skill level.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

dms666 posted:

I've only watched that one, but it seems like it usually has a lot higher skill level.

Yeah, the skill level was high. Mostly 18-25 year olds probably, most of them were talking about playing juniors or college.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Took a slapshot off the 1 inch of the back of my calf that's not covered by my shinguards last night.

by my own team

during warmups

Holy poo poo I can barely walk today and have a nice pink puck-shaped mark on my leg.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Also, looks like HM is having a 15% off everything* sale until tomorrow. Perfect timing, as I need a new helmet.

If I have a Bauer cage, will it fit on pretty much any other Bauer helmet? I'd like to not have to buy another cage.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/weekend-blowout.html

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Also, looks like HM is having a 15% off everything* sale until tomorrow. Perfect timing, as I need a new helmet.

If I have a Bauer cage, will it fit on pretty much any other Bauer helmet? I'd like to not have to buy another cage.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/weekend-blowout.html

The following is not based on experience.

Judging by the specs on icewarehouse, the Bauer cages they sell mostly say "fits all Bauer helmets". So you may have a slightly lower/higher quality cage from what the helmet is, but it seems that the generic position of the hooks and screw holes are the same for all Bauer helmets.

EDIT:
The 5100 does not say this.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

For the longest time, I had a Large cage on a Small helmet, and the cage would not fit under one of the hooks on one side.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Can you paint a helmet?

Anyway, trying to convince the wife to let me buy that ccmv10 that's on clearance. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to buy a combo helmet regardless. Even though I have a cage from an old CCM helmet.

Honestly: what's a good price range for helmets for the protection level of "wife is willing to have me spend more money to make sure i'm not brain damaged... but not that much"?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Holy poo poo, I want this YELLOW HELMET:
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-...ampaign=web_rec

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Doctor Butts posted:

Can you paint a helmet?

It's not recommended. Definitely don't paint a cage.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Why the CCMV10 in particular? Have you tried it on previously and loved it?

For me helmet purchases came down to what fit my head best. The cheaper yellow/tan foam ones never fit my head and it either squeezed my head and gave me headaches or it was too loose and moved around. It used to be you had to spend to the highest level of helmet to get away from that foam but it looks like some of the Missions and the RBK ones could have a better fit with a cage.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

To be honest, its all about the price/seeming level of protection. Other than that I have an old/used helmet I bought forever ago from CCM and it fit.

It's a Tacks helmet and the bicycle helmet foam is not sticking to helmet, the little softer foam bits glue is wearing off too. And the rust. Cage is fine tho.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So would I look like an incredibly gigantic shithead with a yellow helmet?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

sellouts posted:

Why the CCMV10 in particular? Have you tried it on previously and loved it?

For me helmet purchases came down to what fit my head best. The cheaper yellow/tan foam ones never fit my head and it either squeezed my head and gave me headaches or it was too loose and moved around. It used to be you had to spend to the highest level of helmet to get away from that foam but it looks like some of the Missions and the RBK ones could have a better fit with a cage.

I literally can't buy the highest end helmets because they don't fit my giant head. The high-mids fit me great though.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Only if you put black stripes on it.

edit: if it matches your unis and people give you poo poo about it, put a sticker on the helmet that says 'clearance'

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

Only if you put black stripes on it.

edit: if it matches your unis and people give you poo poo about it, put a sticker on the helmet that says 'clearance'

Our colors are black/yellow. I could make it match my bumblebee stick tape job :v:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

There is a guy in my leagues that wears a yellow helmet. He is a shithead, but that is unrelated to the fact he wears a yellow helmet.

You would stand out, but not look like a tool.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
My winter league team is apparently going to roster a full 18 skaters. Goddamnit. I'm not excited to get 4 shifts/ period. It may be time to find a new team with people who don't show up!

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Hockles posted:

There is a guy in my leagues that wears a yellow helmet. He is a shithead, but that is unrelated to the fact he wears a yellow helmet.

You would stand out, but not look like a tool.

Often enough, the guys who stand out are awesome. I know a guy who used to look like a giant christmas tree with his red and green gear. We even called him Christmas. He's awesome though, and generally helps a lot of people.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
So I bought a Bauer 4500 helmet this weekend, as a start on my hockey gear. Now I'm looking at facial protection, and I really like the idea of a shield/cage combo. That being said, does anyone have an opinion on the Avision Ahead combo versus the Bauer Concept II (Senior size)? The Bauer is obviously made by the same company as the helmet, whereas the Avision fits "all major brands, medium and up". The Bauer is also cheaper, but with the Hockey Monkey sale today, I could get the Avision for only $5 more, so no big whoop there. And lastly, I think the Avision looks cooler, which we all know is the most important part. :colbert:

As a preemptive thank you, here is Blades And Brass.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

sba posted:

It's not recommended. Definitely don't paint a cage.

wait why is this bad i painted the inside of my cage white am i going to die

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

toxicsunset posted:

wait why is this bad i painted the inside of my cage white am i going to die

Paint chips pretty easily off of cages, over time there's a chance you could get paint chips in your eye, especially if you get hit in the face with sticks/pucks often.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hey sba, we need a goalie for next season. You should play.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Brettbot posted:

So I bought a Bauer 4500 helmet this weekend, as a start on my hockey gear. Now I'm looking at facial protection, and I really like the idea of a shield/cage combo. That being said, does anyone have an opinion on the Avision Ahead combo versus the Bauer Concept II (Senior size)? The Bauer is obviously made by the same company as the helmet, whereas the Avision fits "all major brands, medium and up". The Bauer is also cheaper, but with the Hockey Monkey sale today, I could get the Avision for only $5 more, so no big whoop there. And lastly, I think the Avision looks cooler, which we all know is the most important part. :colbert:

As a preemptive thank you, here is Blades And Brass.

I'd recommend just going with a full cage, the cage/visor combos fog up really easily, and unlike a standard visor, you cant easily wipe them down.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...
A subsection of the hockey community exists whose thinking goes something as follows:

"Acceptable colors for helmets include: black; white."

People who a) notice, and b) care enough to comment are in short supply, though. Most people make their assessments on more substantive grounds.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
If you wear a yellow helmet and do something even remotely notable the other team will forever think of you as "that rear end in a top hat in the yellow helmet".

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

But if you're not wearing a yellow helmet, it'll be, "that rear end in a top hat in the green socks/in the red pants/with the tucked in jersey/who skates like a chicken/[other distinguishing characteristic]."

They're just more likely to remember that it's the same guy the next game/shift if it happens to be a colorful helmet.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah I think I'm leaning toward the yellow helmet being on the douchey side of the fence. I'll probably stick with standard black.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

Just remember, for half the price, you could get this, in which case you'd be know as "that stone cold motherfucker in the Cooper SK-10"

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Green Submarine posted:

Just remember, for half the price, you could get this, in which case you'd be know as "that stone cold motherfucker in the Cooper SK-10"

That thing has great concussion prevention by way of not having any way to attach a cage.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I bought a red hockey helmet on clearance and every day I put it on I sigh and hate myself a little bit. But I'm too cheap to change it and I hate wasting an otherwise perfectly functional and comfortable piece of equipment.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Green Submarine posted:

An old guy that shows up to pickup once in a while wears one of those, his gear is like a trip to a museum.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Hey sba, we need a goalie for next season. You should play.

he doesn't play irl hockey anymore only videogame hockey

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Holy poo poo, just a week and a half of sitting around doing nothing killed my fitness, my lungs were burning tonight.

Had a tying goal waved off for goalie interference :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Played a game last night, we had 10 guys on the bench for 4v4 inline. I think it was 1-2 guys too many.

We were playing a team that is pretty well known for being a bunch of chippy assholes who complain about every call and try to dispute every single goal.

They took our goalie out a few times, and complained when they hit 3 posts that they should have been counted as goals. They threw a few hits in the corners but never got called.

I was making GBS threads uncontrollably before I left for the game, so to say the least, I didnt have a great game. I felt uncomfortable with the puck every time I got it. I was shifted back to D halfway through the game when they started getting tired. I had a good chance at a wrister but nothing of mine went in.

At the very end, they had a guy going along the boards for a breakaway, I stayed with him, when he tried cutting into the front of the net, he basically put himself beneath me and we both went flying. I landed directly on my hip and elbow, both swelling up pretty badly. This morning my hip is really tight and i need to roll it out on a foam roller. My elbow is pretty swollen, a gentle reminder to not forget my elbow pads.

And we lost by 1 goal.