Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

C-Euro posted:

Woah, they namedrop bath salts a year before all this face-eating nonsense of today.

Is there a feed or something that will download a random episode for you to listen to? Listening to them all from #1 sounds so daunting but I want to just pick one out every now and then to listen to, and it's not like there's any sort of continuity to worry about. I guess I could just come up with some random number generator :v:
You're welcome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

C-Euro posted:

Woah, they namedrop bath salts a year before all this face-eating nonsense of today.

Is there a feed or something that will download a random episode for you to listen to? Listening to them all from #1 sounds so daunting but I want to just pick one out every now and then to listen to, and it's not like there's any sort of continuity to worry about. I guess I could just come up with some random number generator :v:

Let me suggest all the episodes from the year 2008. They're basically the best, and this includes the stretch of episodes that first went up on YouTube, the same clips that got so many (including myself) listening to UYD in the first place.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Is it just me or did you guys hear an ice cream truck
about 48 minutes into the last episode?

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Is it just me or did you guys hear an ice cream truck
about 48 minutes into the last episode?

I thought it was the outro music slowly fading in at first, faked me The Eff Out

Butch Otter
Jan 24, 2003

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jul/25/local/la-me-0725-pot-ban-20120725

quote:

Under the ban, all of the 762 dispensaries registered in the city will be sent letters ordering them to shut down immediately. Those that don't comply may face legal action from the city.

Does anyone know if Seth actually works at a dispensary? I've heard rumors but no confirmation. Hopefully he's not out of a job :ohdear:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Mr. Darsie posted:

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jul/25/local/la-me-0725-pot-ban-20120725

Does anyone know if Seth actually works at a dispensary? I've heard rumors but no confirmation. Hopefully he's not out of a job :ohdear:

He works at a dispensary or at least worked at one recently. They mentioned it on Jordan Jesse Go. Also Seth's Sexy Sativa is named after him. Hopefully the dispenary will be able to get an injunction, though.

PS: Hey Los Angeles. Good job destroying thousands of jobs in a recession and pumping money into the black market. Are you ok?

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Al! posted:

He works at a dispensary or at least worked at one recently. They mentioned it on Jordan Jesse Go. Also Seth's Sexy Sativa is named after him. Hopefully the dispenary will be able to get an injunction, though.

PS: Hey Los Angeles. Good job destroying thousands of jobs in a recession and pumping money into the black market. Are you ok?

But I have to push my baby through literal clouds of marijuana smoke!!! :qq:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Al! posted:

Man, I went to listen to that episode of Jordan Jesse Go and I don't know if the podcasts I listen to have spoiled me or what, but the only thing that keeps me going in this is Jonathan calling these guys on their bullshit sometimes. Seth really doesn't want to be there.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Power of Pecota posted:

Man, I went to listen to that episode of Jordan Jesse Go and I don't know if the podcasts I listen to have spoiled me or what, but the only thing that keeps me going in this is Jonathan calling these guys on their bullshit sometimes. Seth really doesn't want to be there.

Jordan Morris is pretty cool. I have learned to regard Jesse with contempt, though. I loved the moment in the podcast were Jonathan asks if he can have a glass of water and gets told no, so Seth goes and gets one for him.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Power of Pecota posted:

Same here, it was a piece of poo poo and reminded me how unfunny most podcasts are. Seriously look at these two dorks

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Chemtrail Clem posted:

Same here, it was a piece of poo poo and reminded me how unfunny most podcasts are. Seriously look at these two dorks

Stop; let's not make this thread as lovely as the UYD forums.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Those guys are really bad, though.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Having not listened to Jordon Jesse Go, I don't know much about either of them, but Jesse seems like an affable guy on Judge John Hodgman?

Is this just a 'my podcast is better' pissing contest thing?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Bobulus posted:

Yeah. I think this is it.

As some who loves both UYD and Maximum Fun/Put This On, people are being reductive and unnecessary. Keep making GBS threads on other podcasts out of this thread.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Yeah I love both podcasts, and I agree that their episode was a little weak, but I think it was mostly due to Seth and Johnathan not being used to having a podcast with anyone else rather than the other way around. The thing with the water was kind of weird, but I think that was just an unfunny bit and they would have gotten him water soon afterwards. Seth just didn't know that and acted decisively

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009
Not to mention that Seth and Jonathan always work as a pair, where as on that episode it was 4 people at once. I certainly understand not liking JJGo, even though I myself am a fan, but yeah its sort of ridiculous to spend time talking about how much you hate Jesse Thorn because he made a bad episode of his podcast with Seth and Jonathan. Not to mention all it serves to do is make this thread seem like it was cut out of UYD's lovely rear end forums

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

SullivanPRIME posted:

Not to mention that Seth and Jonathan always work as a pair, where as on that episode it was 4 people at once. I certainly understand not liking JJGo, even though I myself am a fan, but yeah its sort of ridiculous to spend time talking about how much you hate Jesse Thorn because he made a bad episode of his podcast with Seth and Jonathan. Not to mention all it serves to do is make this thread seem like it was cut out of UYD's lovely rear end forums

As someone who listens to Jordan Jesse Go I want to say that everyone hating on Jesse is correct, he is a pompous, racist rear end in a top hat who has a funny friend and gets really good guests.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

SullivanPRIME posted:

I don't listen to Jordan Jesse Go because I find Jesse to be a douchebag, but didn't they do the same thing to the Penny Arcade guys? Every time I hear about JJGo it's because they've gotten into a fight with some other group that I like.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Bobulus posted:

Having not listened to Jordon Jesse Go, I don't know much about either of them, but Jesse seems like an affable guy on Judge John Hodgman?

No, UYD isn't "my podcast" and its not a pissing contest. I like UYD and think the other podcast is unfunny poo poo, is having an opinion about other podcasts not allowed? I know theres a lot of overlap somehow between fans of that show and uhh yeah dude but I dont think this thread should be a no-opinion zone out of fear of appearing like the weird sycophantic UYD forums

If someone can explain Jesse thorn to me Im willing to be open minded, from what Ive heard hes doing nerd humor where he talks about Transformers and calls things "awesomesauce" and that type of garbage. He also seemingly runs a blog called Put This On where he talks about fashion despite looking like a bleached potato in every picture Ive seen of him. Even my friends who listen to JJG usually admit that Jordan is the funny one and Jesse is a pompous idiot

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Al! posted:

As someone who listens to Jordan Jesse Go I want to say that everyone hating on Jesse is correct, he is a pompous, racist rear end in a top hat who has a funny friend and gets really good guests.

Can you give some more details on the racism claim?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

inferis posted:

Can you give some more details on the racism claim?

It's hard to describe exactly but a lot of his stories (for example the one about the taxi driver and the "panties to the ceiling story") are really condescending in a "look at how funny those black folks are," kind of way and make me really uncomfortable. Also he uses a really terrible "black" voice whenever tells them but I guess Robin Williams is still able to get away with it on Letterman or whatever. The taxi one from a few episodes back is what made me really disgusted. I only dislike him for that poo poo but my wife hates him.

Marvin_Gardens
May 25, 2005

Does anybody know what Seth got his degree in? I imagine it was Literature or Creative Writing or Education.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Marvin_Gardens posted:

Does anybody know what Seth got his degree in? I imagine it was Literature or Creative Writing or Education.

B. S. In Pepsi Max with Panax

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

Marvin_Gardens posted:

Communications I think. But he always points out that it was before the internet.

Somewhat relatedly, one thing that often strikes me about the show is how good Seth's story-telling skills are, both in writing (although not sure how pre-prepared all that stuff is) and speaking. Whenever he does an obituary or tells a story about something like a baseball match, it's always (to me at least) totally interesting and really clear, which is actually really hard to do.

GraPar fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 30, 2012

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I wish to change my legal name to Seth Hobo.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

soru posted:

I don't listen to Jordan Jesse Go because I find Jesse to be a douchebag, but didn't they do the same thing to the Penny Arcade guys?

Quite. Apparently they spent almost an hour in Jesse's house before Jordan showed up, and found him to be incredibly off-putting (Which, coming from the PA guys, says something.) Their takeaway:

I've never listened to either the UYD or PA JJGo episodes, because I've heard nothing but bad things.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

If you actually listen to the Penny Arcade episode those guys were just colossal dicks. I actually thought the episode with UYD went pretty well and from what I've heard from all parties they actually liked each other and the vibe was just weird because it is paced wildly different than what the UYD guys were used to.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

JethroMcB posted:

Quite. Apparently they spent almost an hour in Jesse's house before Jordan showed up...
...After showing up an hour early.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

inferis posted:

If you actually listen to the Penny Arcade episode those guys were just colossal dicks. I actually thought the episode with UYD went pretty well and from what I've heard from all parties they actually liked each other and the vibe was just weird because it is paced wildly different than what the UYD guys were used to.

As much as I hate Jesse thorn and think he is a weird unfunny creep I just listened to that episode out of curiosity and the Penny arcade guys are even more awkward. Theyre already confrontational like 5 minutes into it and dont make any attempt to even humor them, just giving one word responses to questions and acting like smart asses. Maybe there was an awkward tension in the room before recording even began with the fat Penny arcade writer and Jesse competing for the alpha nerd role

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

Chemtrail Clem posted:

If someone can explain Jesse thorn to me Im willing to be open minded, from what Ive heard hes doing nerd humor where he talks about Transformers and calls things "awesomesauce" and that type of garbage. He also seemingly runs a blog called Put This On where he talks about fashion despite looking like a bleached potato in every picture Ive seen of him. Even my friends who listen to JJG usually admit that Jordan is the funny one and Jesse is a pompous idiot

You might be a little misguided on Jesse. His co-host Jordan is into video games and the more nerdy things that get brought up on the show. They would also never use terms like "awesomesauce" unless it was clearly ironically. Jesse is a collection of affectations which I guess could be off putting if you take everything he says completely literally.

If you want to give him a chance, check him out when he is the guest on Never Not Funny.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
Jesse trying to shoehorn "powerjam" into the conversation every five minutes was so incredibly unfunny that it's enough to make me not want to hear anything else they've done. From that one episode they seem really "Wacky Morning Drive To Work Radio Show" which I don't think jives with whatever you'd categorize UYD as. Seth keeping completely quiet except to talk to Jonathan or blatantly make fun of the voicemail messages was pretty funny though.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Al! posted:

Sorta like this one dude who does this other podcast....

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

GraPar posted:

Somewhat relatedly, one thing that often strikes me about the show is how good Seth's story-telling skills are, both in writing (although not sure how pre-prepared all that stuff is) and speaking. Whenever he does an obituary or tells a story about something like a baseball match, it's always (to me at least) totally interesting and really clear, which is actually really hard to do.

I agree, Seth's stories always flow really well. Johnathan on the other hand is sometimes pretty painful to listen to when he pauses for like 7-8 seconds. To be fair he's probably stoned when that happens but still.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

causticBeet posted:

Sorta like this one dude who does this other podcast....

Can't tell if you're serious or not...

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

R.L. Stine posted:

Jesse trying to shoehorn "powerjam" into the conversation every five minutes was so incredibly unfunny that it's enough to make me not want to hear anything else they've done. From that one episode they seem really "Wacky Morning Drive To Work Radio Show" which I don't think jives with whatever you'd categorize UYD as. Seth keeping completely quiet except to talk to Jonathan or blatantly make fun of the voicemail messages was pretty funny though.

I had to turn it off after the first 30 times he said "powerjam". From what little I did listen to, it seemed like Jonathan was having an alright time, and interacting with the other guys in much the same way he interacts with Seth, by laughing, leading jokes for them, building on their jokes, etc. Seth was absolutely silent though.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

a starwar betamax posted:

I had to turn it off after the first 30 times he said "powerjam". From what little I did listen to, it seemed like Jonathan was having an alright time, and interacting with the other guys in much the same way he interacts with Seth, by laughing, leading jokes for them, building on their jokes, etc. Seth was absolutely silent though.

Seth was probably busy writing out what he had to say on a notepad.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
If nothing else, Jesse Thorne is the reason I was introduced to Stop Podcasting yourself, which has topped my favorite podcast list for consistent chuckles.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

a starwar betamax posted:

From what little I did listen to, it seemed like Jonathan was having an alright time, and interacting with the other guys in much the same way he interacts with Seth, by laughing, leading jokes for them, building on their jokes, etc. Seth was absolutely silent though.
I get the impression that Seth's 'panic attack / never leaves the apartment' persona is exaggerated, but far from outright fictional; it's not surprising that, dropped into a strange situation, Jonathan's the more outgoing one.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

R.L. Stine posted:

I think I wouldnt hate it as much if he wasnt doing the put-on "douchebag morning radio show guy" voice. I don't know how many times the irony of doing that voice has looped back in on itself but I find it grating to listen to either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Chemtrail Clem posted:

I think I wouldnt hate it as much if he wasnt doing the put-on "douchebag morning radio show guy" voice. I don't know how many times the irony of doing that voice has looped back in on itself but I find it grating to listen to either way.

Believe it or not that's just how that turd talks.