Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snidhog
Dec 31, 2007
The Unarmed Warrior and Unarmed Master talents exist in Rogue Trader and every game after them. In their most modern incarnation (Only War) the former gives you the Natural Weapon Trait, which makes your attacks deal 1d10+SB damage and has you count as armed when in melee combat, though it comes with the Primitive (7) trait and you can't parry proper weapons. Unarmed Master gives you the Deadly Natural Weapon trait, which removes the Primitive quality. Still can't parry swords with your arms though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SleazyBakeOven
Oct 4, 2011

Please, talk to me about Eberron! And by Eberron I mean Warforged. Really I just wanna talk about the Warforged.
What if i got robotic arms. what then?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

SleazyBakeOven posted:

What if i got robotic arms. what then?
You can't. But if the attack hits your arm anyway, you get a +2 to your TB against that attack, which is not Unnatural so it's not affected by Felling.

Personally, as a DM, I'd allow you to to put an Armoured Gauntlet into your implant if you want to Adam Jensen people's skulls.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Just take powerfists to the next level.

Powerarms :black101:

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Get swole, punch swords

SleazyBakeOven
Oct 4, 2011

Please, talk to me about Eberron! And by Eberron I mean Warforged. Really I just wanna talk about the Warforged.

Zikan posted:

Just take powerfists to the next level.

Powerarms :black101:

holy crap this. i need to stat out powerarms immediately.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

New errata is up for Only War: http://fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3439

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Is there a good website for Warhammer 40k Lore/Fluff? I'm looking to start a Warhammer 40k/Paranoia (For the Friend Emperor! Commie Mutant Heretics!) game, and I need alot of background information for Warhammer.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Probably your best bet for all-round information is Lexicanum. This is a pretty good source for general information, although it is angled more from the tabletop side of things (ie, there is tons of information about different Space Marine chapters, and much less about daily life).

Other than that, probably the best source of information (besides the Fantasy Flight books themselves, which are solid) would be Black Library books. These are basically 'official' GW novels, and so many of them outline stuff like the regular lives of people and the operation of many of its entities. Note that many of these books are also terribly written, so check a library rather than spending money on them!

Finally, the 40k universe encompasses literally billions of worlds and trillions of people. If you want to run a campaign and are worried about your setting 'fitting in', just avoid using places that are already named and explained in some detail in the setting. You can easily make up a planet/station/ship and as long as it meets some pretty broad criteria, you're fine.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I'd second that, Lexicanum is the best source for general information on 40K and WHF.

Remember that in general most of the Imperium is autonomous, all that's asked from worlds is that they pay tribute (which are usually whatever the world is already producing, and maybe some guard regiments), deliver their psykers to the Black Ships and worship the Emperor (more often than not the Ecclesiarchy adapts the Cult of the Emperor to the local culture and appropriates existing religious practices in their own to ease the transition), so yeah, feel free to do whatever you want and keep in mind that the Codexes are written from the military point of view, so that's where the Grimdark is from.

I remember a moment in one of the Eisenhorn novels (or maybe a short-story) where he comments that most of the Imperium leads mostly peaceful lives away from the numerous warzones of the galaxy. In fact, I'd say the Eisenhorn Omnibus is the best 40K book you can pick for inspiration on the setting.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Eisenhorn is good because it's actually about an Inquisitor and his stuff so it's well suited to inspiring DH/BC/Etc. In general I would avoid the books centered on Space Marines and the Heresy because, well, they're not really going to give you the information you want. I think that the Caphius Cain and Gaunt's Ghosts books are probably decent (although probably ideal fodder for Only War). I actually just read Faith & Fire, which is a mediocre book about Sisters of Battle but fleshes out the world they are on pretty nicely.

If you have specific questions (or even general questions like 'How does space travel work?') you can probably pitch them here and get good answers. I am a huge lore nerd and I assume others playing are too.

SleazyBakeOven
Oct 4, 2011

im thinking of making a tech priest/heretek that is truly and totally mechanical. im thinking he found an old archeotech body (in actuallity, it was one of the dreaded Men of Iron that ended the dark age of technology),and more or less put his brain in it. the problem is, i dont know how to stat this out, as my understanding of techpriests and augmentations (ruleswise) is laughably limited. a little help?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

A lot of ranks (4+) of The Flesh Is Weak will have you pretty much covered. Actually, there is an NPC in one of the books who is pretty much this.

nogic
Jul 6, 2002

Ashcans posted:

If you have specific questions (or even general questions like 'How does space travel work?') you can probably pitch them here and get good answers. I am a huge lore nerd and I assume others playing are too.

I'll jump in here and say that I'm also getting into 40K RP, so hopefully you won't mind a question from me :)

I might be off-base here, but how is it that humans in 40K live for so long? Space marines I can understand since they are super-human (though in the Deathwatch book I don't remember anything that explains it specifically), but I have definitely seen references to more normal humans that have lived for a really long time, like over a century. Granted, they are usually high-ranking military officers, or something along those lines, but I still assume that they are "normal" human beings.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
It's 40,000 years in the future, handwave whatever widespread genetic modification and medical technology you want. All of which is only available to the upper crust, of course, everyone else gets to hack their lungs out at 18 on their second shift of the day.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The rich and powerful of the Imperium can get a variety of Rejuvination treatments, which can considerably slow and sometimes even halt or mildly reverse the aging process. Add in organ/tissue cloning, advanced bio-cybernetics and other technology 99.999% of humanity will never hear or see and people like Inquisitors, Rogue Trader and super-rich/successful imperial governors and other powerful people can live for hundreds of years.

In addition those that frequently travel between worlds will seem to live longer because time passes slower in the warp at a variable rate. While it may seem like a journey of a couple weeks to the people in the ship, in the materium months could have passed, sometimes even years if they're traveling off a well known/calm warp path. Of course, sometimes things get really freaky and you pop out days/weeks before you left!

So add the two together and you can get people who were born millennia ago and are still fit enough to smite some xenos and purge heretics.

As an example, my GM and I decided my Rogue Trader is, depending on how you look at it, in his early 30s (physically, thanks to age slowing rejuvs) or his late 60s (how many years he has perceived), but was actually born almost 170 years ago (his occupation and navy background involves plenty of warp travel).

Warp Time Dilation is especially a potentially fun tool for GMs. A Rogue Trader can go and get himself a political marriage (or just a fun tryst), have a kid, leave his beloved and child on some planet, go off adventuring for a few years (to him) and pop back home once in a while to visit and see their child seemingly rapidly age into an adult.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 31, 2012

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

nogic posted:

I'll jump in here and say that I'm also getting into 40K RP, so hopefully you won't mind a question from me :)

I might be off-base here, but how is it that humans in 40K live for so long? Space marines I can understand since they are super-human (though in the Deathwatch book I don't remember anything that explains it specifically), but I have definitely seen references to more normal humans that have lived for a really long time, like over a century. Granted, they are usually high-ranking military officers, or something along those lines, but I still assume that they are "normal" human beings.

Benagain explained what happens with the rich and the normal citizens, but Space Marines can live a poo poo-long time if they aren't killed in action. I'm fairly certain the Sus-an Membrane, the suspended animation organ, has something to do with it.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I'm not sure that any space marine has died of old age.

Also in the 5th edition rulebook there was something called the Abyssal Crusade, where one Saint Basillius deems about 30 Space Marine chapters' faith in the Emperor wanting, and sends them on a crusade into the Eye of Terror.

In the current rulebook, that bit is followed up on by having the marines finish their crusade almost 800 years later, return, declare Saint Basillius a heretic, and execute him.

Also destroy all his shrines, and launch his followers into the sun.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Holy poo poo that's awesome. That being said, isn't it generally (though begrudgingly) accepted among Imperial bigwigs that the Space Marines don't worship the Emperor (with the exception of the Red Scorpions)? Why would Basillius throw a fit like that? Not even the most hardcore Amalathian would do such a thing.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CommissarMega posted:

Holy poo poo that's awesome. That being said, isn't it generally (though begrudgingly) accepted among Imperial bigwigs that the Space Marines don't worship the Emperor (with the exception of the Red Scorpions)? Why would Basillius throw a fit like that? Not even the most hardcore Amalathian would do such a thing.

Many of the ecclesiarchy have managed to explain away space marine traditions. It helps that a lot of them venerate their primarch and the emperor made the primarchs. It also helps that since space marines are demigod angels, they arent necessarily so far below the emperor and so their more casual attitude towards him is maybe acceptable among his sons. What helps most of all though is that chapter religions are super secret and even the inquisition doesnt know what they get up to. Most people are totally ignorant.

If you are a guy who spends a couple centuries stamping out heresy and becoming a saint, and you think of space marines as just nonboobmarine sororitas, then you meet some and its gonna be a shock. Its not out of th equestion that you will try to stamp out their heresy, although by doing so the odds of your getting murdered by any number of imperial agencies will skyrocket

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Even today the average age of death is moving up, so it's not that far fetched to think it could be really long 40,000 years from now.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I am not sure we are ever given an upper limit on how long people can live. Space Marines are effectively immortal - the oldest one is Commander Dante, who is 1100 years old and still kicking rear end. Bjorn the Fell-Handed is entombed in a Dreadnought, but he is over 10,000 years old. Commissar Yarrick was already old enough to retire during the First War for Armageddeon, and has gone on to chase Orks around for another 50+ years.

There do seem to be some indications on the fluff that there is a limit to how long regular humans can stretch out their lives, but it seems to be on the order of centuries if you are rich/powerful enough to get the treatments. This does limit it to people like Inquisitors, Lord Commanders, and the leaders of obscenely wealthy Great Houses.

This is, of course, not counting the potential effects of Chaos or crazy alien technologies, which could do all kinds of poo poo. Although those are available to an even smaller range of people in the Imperium (basically Inquisitors, I think).

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
I might be using 10-year-old fluff, but I recall that the longest lived humans were (barring assassination) the High Lords of Terra who usually topped out at around 1000 years old. And really, for game purposes, saying that one dude is so wealthy that he's reaching the end of his life at his millennial birthday is enough to tell most players that the obscenely rich live for about as long as they want to.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Also in the 5th edition rulebook there was something called the Abyssal Crusade, where one Saint Basillius deems about 30 Space Marine chapters' faith in the Emperor wanting, and sends them on a crusade into the Eye of Terror.

In the current rulebook, that bit is followed up on by having the marines finish their crusade almost 800 years later, return, declare Saint Basillius a heretic, and execute him.

See I like to think that their first thought was just to laugh and maybe kill him, but then they got together and someone said "Hey, y'know what? I'm itching to kill a poo poo ton of heretics anyway, so why not?"

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!
The nature of the setting is such that the available technology for life-extension probably varies greatly from sector to sector. Not to mention cultural and environmental factors (nobles who smoke Totally Not Tobacco probably still cut down their potential lifespan by doing so) and wild cards like exotic plants with life-extending properties or whathaveyou.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I think that's more proof of Space Marines ability to kick rear end for centuries without a break rather than their long lifespan. It was the Eye of Terror after all, I seem to recall some planetary descriptions from the old EoT campaign hinting that time doesn't pass at all in that warphole. But the fact that old Basilius was still alive and kicking after eight centuries, well, that's impressive CHAOS.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

New Only War update is out: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3457

Also some more info on the next Rogue Trader supplement, Soul Reaver: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3458

edit: Aaand another preview of Tome of Fate: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3453

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 2, 2012

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

MaliciousOnion posted:

New Only War update is out: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3457

Also some more info on the next Rogue Trader supplement, Soul Reaver: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3458

edit: Aaand another preview of Tome of Fate: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3453

It seems FFG's going to release all these books more or less at once now, which is a good thing for my RPG experience, and terrible for next month's paycheck :v:

EDIT: I do hope however, that they expand the Daemons beyond the iconic ones. Tzeentch is the Lord of Change; surely he'd have a few special tricks up his sleeve?

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 2, 2012

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

That is a seriously wimpy Daemon Prince compared to the one in the core book. That one ate greater daemons. This guy... trolls novice summoners.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Asehujiko posted:

That is a seriously wimpy Daemon Prince compared to the one in the core book. That one ate greater daemons. This guy... trolls novice summoners.

Phokulozortis only lacks open power, though. Miss Slaanesh 40,000 in the Vortex is practically locked in there, her entire 'universe' being all that she can perceive. This dude however, has tendrils all over Imperial space thanks to his work. Hell, you might say he could be doing a better job than most; the =I= goes after big time daemonologists, not the crazy hobo with the Ladybird Book of Daemon Summoning.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Another supplement coming out soon - The Lathe Worlds: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3464

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CommissarMega posted:

Phokulozortis only lacks open power, though. Miss Slaanesh 40,000 in the Vortex is practically locked in there, her entire 'universe' being all that she can perceive. This dude however, has tendrils all over Imperial space thanks to his work. Hell, you might say he could be doing a better job than most; the =I= goes after big time daemonologists, not the crazy hobo with the Ladybird Book of Daemon Summoning.

whoa, I just had a cool thought because of this. imagine a daemon prince reigning over a distributed sorcerer network of incredibly weak, barely awakened psykers, but it's like a folding@home thing where all that unused psychic potential is being harnessed. Maybe there's a cult that put something in the water supply of a whole agriworld six thousand years ago, and that contaminant keeps getting renewed by the people who live there because of bureaucratic inertia. The contaminant is not major enough to get picked up by those who watch for such things, and now the world's produce goes to a hundred planets. That tiny contaminant is inert in nonpsykers, and in actual grownup psykers with an actual psy rating it's totally blown out and has no effect. but it latches on to the really marginal cases and actually helps them out, curing their weirdness so that they merge nicely into imperial society. A whole sector has been pretty demon free for pretty much all of history as a result. meanwhile the incredibly minor psychic potential that they aren't tapping is fueling a warpstorm that has been hiding something important for all that time.

That could be a cool rear end thing to have to investigate. Maybe your inquisitor is curious as to why this sector has been so abnormally free of evil for so long. Maybe your rogue trader ship picked up some rations on the agriworld and they immediately settled down the subdeck mutants, and your guy is smart enough to say hmm...

or maybe a deathwatch/black crusade team is after what's inside that warpstorm

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Liesmith posted:

whoa, I just had a cool thought because of this. imagine a daemon prince reigning over a distributed sorcerer network of incredibly weak, barely awakened psykers, but it's like a folding@home thing where all that unused psychic potential is being harnessed. Maybe there's a cult that put something in the water supply of a whole agriworld six thousand years ago, and that contaminant keeps getting renewed by the people who live there because of bureaucratic inertia. The contaminant is not major enough to get picked up by those who watch for such things, and now the world's produce goes to a hundred planets. That tiny contaminant is inert in nonpsykers, and in actual grownup psykers with an actual psy rating it's totally blown out and has no effect. but it latches on to the really marginal cases and actually helps them out, curing their weirdness so that they merge nicely into imperial society. A whole sector has been pretty demon free for pretty much all of history as a result. meanwhile the incredibly minor psychic potential that they aren't tapping is fueling a warpstorm that has been hiding something important for all that time.

That could be a cool rear end thing to have to investigate. Maybe your inquisitor is curious as to why this sector has been so abnormally free of evil for so long. Maybe your rogue trader ship picked up some rations on the agriworld and they immediately settled down the subdeck mutants, and your guy is smart enough to say hmm...

or maybe a deathwatch/black crusade team is after what's inside that warpstorm

Wasn't this kind of similar to what the not-scientologists were doing in the Purge the Unclean adventure? Admittedly they were rendering the fledgling psykers down into the contaminant, rather than using them, but there's a whole hook about Adrantis and the serrated query that you could work with.

Like the idea of psyking@home though.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is anyone having trouble with the Koronus Bestiary pdf? I've downloaded and redownloaded my copy from DriveThru, but each one has a problem with Page 38 (the Void Kraken's stats). Here, an example of what I'm talking about :

It's especially infuriating because of all the beasties in the Bestiary, the Kraken is the only premade I was looking forward to. I assume there's a sidebar to the right; that's gone too.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 4, 2012

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

CommissarMega posted:

Is anyone having trouble with the Koronus Bestiary pdf? I've downloaded and redownloaded my copy from DriveThru, but each one has a problem with Page 38 (the Void Kraken's stats). Here, an example of what I'm talking about :

It's especially infuriating because of all the beasties in the Bestiary, the Kraken is the only premade I was looking forward to. I assume there's a sidebar to the right; that's gone too.

While it could be an issue, that kind of PDF loading issue is usually a snarl on your end. Try shutting your computer down so that all background processes are off, then opening the pdf first thing upon restart.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fried Chicken posted:

While it could be an issue, that kind of PDF loading issue is usually a snarl on your end. Try shutting your computer down so that all background processes are off, then opening the pdf first thing upon restart.

Nope, still kaput :( Every copy I download lacks a proper page 38, and if the Acrobat error message is to be believed, it's a problem with whoever uploaded the pdf. On the upside, I don't look like a premature moron for posting about this on the FFG official forums, so yay, I guess.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
If anyone is interested I am selling an unused copy for Dark Heresy Core Rulebook, and a sealed Game Master's Kit.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3500061

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I'm running the Illumination adventure for some friends and I expect we'll finish it in our next session. The second half of this adventure has a lot of combat, the final combat in particular seems pretty hard.

This next session there will only be 2 players as one guy is out of town, the psyker and the tech priest, neither really built or equipped for combat. I'm wondering how to do this while keeping the action going but not overwhelming them. I considered bringing out some background characters (pre-gen sheets I had made anyway) to help them, but then they'd either have to run two characters each or I'd be rolling for them and I'm worried combat would be a little boring for them. Another option would be to 'open up the armory' and give them whatever guns they wanted, but I'm not sure they have the talents to use much.

Any advice? This is my first time DMing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!
Well, as I recall, the final encounter isn't meant to be solved with outright combat (although it can be pretty easily by a mix-maxed character). Aren't there some combat-oriented NPCs that are supposed to die? Increasing their presence and giving the PCs a squad of loyal Imperial underlings from the temple that the story revolves around could help ease the combat and give them the feeling of having some actual authority in the situation.