Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

ijyt posted:

Looking at various UK stores, an airbrush set up seems far too expensive for me and I don't have much space to begin with either.

I think I'll look for a spray/primer close enough to Straken Green, or just go with the thin layer route.
If you know someone in the US, they may be able to hook you up? I know shipping will be a killer if you get a compressor, but I can't imagine they're that expensive in the UK?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Voltage will be the issue then. I have a tank compressor I brought with me from the States but I haven't even plugged it in yet, not sure if my transformer is powerful enough to handle it.

e: the guy who does the '7 Day Army Painter' DVD set recommends a cheap Chinese airbrush with the model number 'TC-20T' - I had one saved in my eBay watch list, but it's not listed any more, I'm sure it can be found elsewhere online. Here's a 240V compressor with tank and regulator, even comes with a cheap airbrush for £55: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Airb...#ht_2216wt_1202 No idea on the quality of it, but for just starting out it's probably OK, maybe comparable to the Harbor Freight stuff.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 31, 2012

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
^^ I don't know if the compressor is any good, but the fact that it has a tank is nice.

krushgroove posted:

Voltage will be the issue then. I have a tank compressor I brought with me from the States but I haven't even plugged it in yet, not sure if my transformer is powerful enough to handle it.

Duh. I didn't think about that.

Speaking of airbrushes, does anyone else have this issue: When I'm airbrushing and I set the brush down, my compressor will cycle on and off every few seconds, like there is a slow leak. At first I thought it might be a seal on the brush or hose, but I've swapped both out and still have the same issue. Is that a normal thing?

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 31, 2012

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

berzerkmonkey posted:

Speaking of airbrushes, does anyone else have this issue: When I'm airbrushing and I set the brush down, my compressor will cycle on and off every few seconds, like there is a slow leak. At first I thought it might be a seal on the brush or hose, but I've swapped both out and still have the same issue. Is that a normal thing?

That's normal. It is just the compressor stopping when it builds up to your selected pressure.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBe8siSbK-0

A new oil paint tutorial for water/rust lines!

Purgey
Nov 5, 2008

dexefiend posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBe8siSbK-0

A new oil paint tutorial for water/rust lines!

:stare:

...gently caress me thats awesome.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Note that you needn't use benzene as your thinner. Mineral spirits work just as well.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Cross posting with the 40k thread..

Anyone have any experience with Kromlech models? Considering using either of these two items to make Heavy Artillery for DKoK,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150519921890?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150773480666?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The 38 would make a pretty good medusa, the 10.5 though seems a little small for a basilisk. If anyone has any opinions or pictures of these next to 40k models that would be awesome!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Posting some of my WiPs. Not much progress on the older Mecha and Battlesuit, but I've castrated the original Dickbot design, given him a new head and arm, and he'll soon be PG-13 once again.

Also I made a dropship:

Big happy family:

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Crosspostin' some Oath stuff.

Reaper Frost Giant King. A loving great model BTW.

Steampunk Dorothy:

Hammerhead Wereshark:

Dirz Biopsist:

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Thanks to everyone who suggested glues. I'm going to pick up some of that Testors stuff.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I think I put my matte varnish on too thickly with the airbrush. The best painted model I've ever done now has a slightly faded/bluey sheen.

Can I correct this with gloss then matte again (as you would for frosting), or am I bummed ?

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
I said that I would crosspost with the Oath thread when I got those nids taken care of, so here they are. Starting them, I thought "I don't really want to just hit all the Giger alien notes again" and then welp.

Yeah, I posted mediocre models right after Bachtere posted. Whadup :colbert:.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I think I put my matte varnish on too thickly with the airbrush. The best painted model I've ever done now has a slightly faded/bluey sheen.

Can I correct this with gloss then matte again (as you would for frosting), or am I bummed ?

I would think it would work. If it's already futzed up, can't hurt to try, right?

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Fyrbrand posted:

I would think it would work. If it's already futzed up, can't hurt to try, right?

Failing this, you can use windex or x20a and a foam makeup applicator (or cotton bud, although you might wind up with cotton fibers everywhere)to gently dab and scrub the varnish off the model before it sets completely. Just be careful not to scrub too hard or you'll start taking off any washes and then paint.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

BirdieBedtime posted:

I said that I would crosspost with the Oath thread when I got those nids taken care of, so here they are. Starting them, I thought "I don't really want to just hit all the Giger alien notes again" and then welp.

Yeah, I posted mediocre models right after Bachtere posted. Whadup :colbert:.

Those are really nice nids man, did you put some glaze on the chitin? It looks real shiny and rad.

On another note, I've had the same dream now that my dogs fur got into my paint pots and my brush and all over my models and oh god what's happening to me? :gonk:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Better that than have cheap crappy brushes leave fur all over your models.

Speaking of which, can anyone recommend nice-quality brushes to use for washes and drybrushing (if such exist)? I know Citadel have their range of brushes, which I haven't really looked at, but I have 2 W&N size 1 brushes, the only 'good' brushes I've ever owned, a ton of old small brushes from The Armory from when I used to paint, and some super cheap brushes I got recently from the £/$ shop and IKEA to see how they work. The hair brushes from IKEA shed a lot but the artificial brushes are good for putting PVA glue.

I picked up some packs of brushes from the arts & crafts section of a UK furniture store (seriously - sounds weird maybe to Americans but if you're in the UK and have a Dunelm Mill near you, you can find cheap red sable brushes there). But I need a wide brush for dry brushing and washes, should I just go with a sable hair brush in whatever width I like? This same store has a selection of various brushes - nothing like W&N but they seem decent quality.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'll probably be going against the grain but the Citadel wash brush has been working well for me for miniatures, though I wouldn't exactly call it wide. Good for miniatures at least.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Can I ask what's different about the wash brush from them? Is it firmer, thicker, etc., or just a flat sable brush? Their stipple brush looks interesting, I haven't seen anything like that from other companies and it might be something I would try in the future.

While I'm asking, does anyone tend to use the same brushes for washes that they use for normal painting, and just clean them thoroughly between each use?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

krushgroove posted:

Better that than have cheap crappy brushes leave fur all over your models.

Speaking of which, can anyone recommend nice-quality brushes to use for washes and drybrushing (if such exist)? I know Citadel have their range of brushes, which I haven't really looked at, but I have 2 W&N size 1 brushes, the only 'good' brushes I've ever owned, a ton of old small brushes from The Armory from when I used to paint, and some super cheap brushes I got recently from the £/$ shop and IKEA to see how they work. The hair brushes from IKEA shed a lot but the artificial brushes are good for putting PVA glue.

I picked up some packs of brushes from the arts & crafts section of a UK furniture store (seriously - sounds weird maybe to Americans but if you're in the UK and have a Dunelm Mill near you, you can find cheap red sable brushes there). But I need a wide brush for dry brushing and washes, should I just go with a sable hair brush in whatever width I like? This same store has a selection of various brushes - nothing like W&N but they seem decent quality.
I just use my sable hair brushes for washing. Dry brushing I use army painter stuff, they're decent brushes. My GW brushes are all for paint out of pot or PVA use.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
OK, good to know, I'll hit that crafts section again for some bigger sable brushes then - I can't see myself painting buildings with something 1/4" wide!

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
I just picked up the 2nd Edition of Descent and I'm really enjoying it. Sadly, not all the game characters have miniatures and the tokens are RUINING MY IMMERSION!

I was hoping I could call on you guys to help me find proxies for these characters. FF Games are planning on releasing some, but at $10 a piece and an unknown release date, I don't want to wait.

This page shows the characters I'm talking about; click on the image to see some bigger artwork :

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=176&esem=2&esum=214

I'll be happy with anything, as long as it's at 28mm scale. I'm thinking vampires/chaos figures from Warhammer? But I'm not educated enough to know them off the top of my head like I was 15 years ago.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

midge posted:

I'll be happy with anything, as long as it's at 28mm scale. I'm thinking vampires/chaos figures from Warhammer? But I'm not educated enough to know them off the top of my head like I was 15 years ago.

My first step would be Reaper Miniatures. Here's the results of a quick search for "Vampire".

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

My first step would be Reaper Miniatures. Here's the results of a quick search for "Vampire".

Amazing selection. I found this guy :

http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Pathfinder/latest/60123

as a match for this guy in less than a minute!

http://store.fantasyflightgames.com/productdetails.cfm?SKU=DE04

Their keyword search is wonderful.

Edit : The only one I've not found a proxy I'm pleased with is this guy :

http://store.fantasyflightgames.com/productdetails.cfm?SKU=DE16

midge fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 1, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

krushgroove posted:

Can I ask what's different about the wash brush from them? Is it firmer, thicker, etc., or just a flat sable brush? Their stipple brush looks interesting, I haven't seen anything like that from other companies and it might be something I would try in the future.

While I'm asking, does anyone tend to use the same brushes for washes that they use for normal painting, and just clean them thoroughly between each use?

The GW wash brush has a bigger 'body' to hold more wash. You can use your normal brushes for a more accurate application of wash, just rinse as normal.

For what it's worth, I think the GW drybrushes are worth their money.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Good info, thanks - I'll check them out if I get to a GW store before I get to the brushes at the furniture store I mentioned. Other than the W&N series 7 that everyone recommends I'd want to check out the brushes in person rather than get them online.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Barrel on the S-Tank is too small for a laser destroyer. Need's something a little beefier.

1/35 D-30 Howitzer barrel. That should about do it.

Also, hoping these work out as additions to the 1/35 Scimitar I have ordered to make it into a Hydra.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I painted another troll beast, because trolls own. Dire trolls throwing big rear end bombs made using empty kegs of booze, well, they own even more.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

The Dark Project posted:

Barrel on the S-Tank is too small for a laser destroyer. Need's something a little beefier.

1/35 D-30 Howitzer barrel. That should about do it.

Also, hoping these work out as additions to the 1/35 Scimitar I have ordered to make it into a Hydra.

Where are these metallic beauties found and how can I get my hands on some?

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

You can buy them from this site, or search for them on ebay.

Whichever one gives you the better prices. The S-Tank has a 1/35 scale 105mm cannon on it, which isn't enough to look like a laser cannon. I needed something which looked a bit beefier, and futuristic, so I opted for the above.

Very much considering some of their other barrels as well, considering at they are milled to exacting standards and have no mold lines. They do 1/35, 1/48 and 1/72nd scale stuff, so you're pretty much covered for everything.

I want a bunch of these for spotlights on my tanks, but I can't find any sellers on ebay so I can get cheaper prices. I might need to order direct through them.

Edit: drat, all out at the moment. Will have to wait for them to re-stock. They also make panzerfausts, which would go nicely as rocket launchers for Krieg guys. 1/35 scale, which is big, but so are the GW rocket launchers so choose or not. Some other good terrain there too.

Also, the Minigun picture above is the 1/35 M134 Gatling gun if you're looking for it.

The Dark Project fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 1, 2012

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Yeah, dude, share!
E: Thanks, that is awesome!!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

midge posted:

I just picked up the 2nd Edition of Descent and I'm really enjoying it. Sadly, not all the game characters have miniatures and the tokens are RUINING MY IMMERSION!

I was hoping I could call on you guys to help me find proxies for these characters. FF Games are planning on releasing some, but at $10 a piece and an unknown release date, I don't want to wait.

This page shows the characters I'm talking about; click on the image to see some bigger artwork :

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=176&esem=2&esum=214

Search around. I bought all 3 Farrows still NIB under the MSRP of one. Last week.
Also: link the proxies for the 2 other new LTs?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Kick rear end, dude: never heard about these guys before, but I'm sure I'm gonna buy something from them sooner or later. If you don't mind, could you snap a photo of the howitzer barrel next to a space marine or something?

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Pierzak posted:

Search around. I bought all 3 Farrows still NIB under the MSRP of one. Last week.
Also: link the proxies for the 2 other new LTs?

This is what I came up with (...did it again since Reaper doesn't seem to cookie cart info)

Lord Merick Farrow - Artwork - Proxy
Sir Alric Farrow - Artwork - Proxy
Lady Eliza Farrow - Artwork - Proxy
Splig - Artwork - Nothing Yet!
Belthir - Artwork - Proxy
Zachareth - Artwork - Proxy

Zachareth is probably the worst match, but I prefer the Lady Farrow compared to the FFG version.

midge fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 1, 2012

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Sole.Sushi posted:

Kick rear end, dude: never heard about these guys before, but I'm sure I'm gonna buy something from them sooner or later. If you don't mind, could you snap a photo of the howitzer barrel next to a space marine or something?

I am still waiting to get mine, but as soon as it comes in, not a problem.

The barrel is apparently quite long (135mm) according to this review and I really wish they would post such details on the RBmodel website.

Not sure if that helps or hinders. Should be fine for my application, as I can hide some of the length of it if necessary.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Three days to go till a team tourney. We're very nearly finished.

24 teams of 4. Gonna be crazy.

edit: This ain't the warhams thread. Oh well.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Battle for Blue Kool-Aid

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

The koolest.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.
So I just got Glosscote and Dullcote from Testor's, and the cans are identical, except for the lids. Is that how they're supposed to be? The one has a clear lid and a sticker that says "glosscote," and the other has a opaque lid that says "dullcote." I wanted to make sure this was right before I went and sprayed models with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Napoleon I posted:

So I just got Glosscote and Dullcote from Testor's, and the cans are identical, except for the lids. Is that how they're supposed to be? The one has a clear lid and a sticker that says "glosscote," and the other has a opaque lid that says "dullcote." I wanted to make sure this was right before I went and sprayed models with it.

Shouldn't it be on the can?

• Locked thread