Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.
That was probably the most badass thing I've ever seen Durkon do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

MelvinTheJerk posted:

That was probably the most badass thing I've ever seen Durkon do.

Yet somehow he didn't seem very impressed by it himself. Very impassive expression for someone on the offensive.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Breaking the rules with Weather Control was the most badass thing Durkon's ever done, thank you very much.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

Dolash posted:

Yet somehow he didn't seem very impressed by it himself. Very impassive expression for someone on the offensive.

Because if it's a Holy word he's probably giving the credit to Thor or something. He's devout enough to think of himself as a vessel rather than a cause for the badassery.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

jng2058 posted:

Breaking the rules with Weather Control was the most badass thing Durkon's ever done, thank you very much.

Well, he did have a little help in that case, to be fair.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Mylan posted:

Well, he did have a little help in that case, to be fair.

He's a cleric. He always has help. By that logic the Holy Word wasn't Durkon's doing either.

But more to the point, Durkon had to plan that usage of Weather Control and ask Thor for it. Even if The Big T is the one who decided to break the rules, it wouldn't have happened if Durkon hadn't been thinking on his feet when V called for a sonic attack.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop--what else does the Order have queued up?

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

A thought just occurred to me: due to his long absence and being seperated from it in the arena, we haven't seen the Greenhilt Sword's undead-slaying energy for nearly half the length of the series. Something tells me we're about to see some Great Cleavage shots in the next few strips.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

DrakePegasus posted:

Something tells me we're about to see some Great Cleavage shots in the next few strips.

We've been having great cleavage shots in every strip for the past couple of hundred thanks to Haley's new top and Sabine being Sabine-

Oh, wait. No, sorry, ignore me.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Trying to think of what else Durkon could do for his next turn - if he dropped a blade barrier down the corridor they'd be in a lot of trouble. It'd be like doubling the amount of traps, plus they'd have to escape while mostly blind and deaf.

Any other spells that he could cast that would be particularly appropriate to this situation?

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx
Finally got my kickstarter package in the mail- All seven books, and Start of Darkness is as good as advertised.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

cbservo posted:

Finally got my kickstarter package in the mail- All seven books, and Start of Darkness is as good as advertised.

Every oots fan should have sod

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

ConfusedUs posted:

Based on what I've seen, Roy has outstanding INT and STR, good WIS, above average CON and CHA, and horrible DEX.

I'd put them in exactly that order, too. His high STR may be more a function of magic items than innate, though. Without magic, his WIS could be higher than his STR.

My personal pet theory is that OotS actually represents a "real" paper and pencil campaign. Roy's player is the most experienced gamer at the table, and agreed to play the crappiest class to balance out his insane, through the roof rolls.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

inthesto posted:

My personal pet theory is that OotS actually represents a "real" paper and pencil campaign.
Your theory is wrong.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Yeah, Rich has been pretty clear over the years that this isn't a D&D campaign with real players or anything. It sometimes feels like one, such as the sidelining of V which could be explained by player absence for instance, but it's not written with any kind of meta-game rules or anything.

It's exactly like in the strip that CapnAndy quoted. It's a world that functions under game rules without actual game players or a DM involved.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I ordered the Schticky Schticks so I still haven't gotten my Kickstarter package. :(

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
What I don't get about the last strip is how Durkon was supposed to be able to sneak up on the evil party. It has been established in previous strips that he's
a) terrible at sneaking
b) slow moving

And the usual tricks to fix these shortcomings (Haste, Invisibility) are all arcane spells that they don't have access to at the moment :confused:

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

peak debt posted:

What I don't get about the last strip is how Durkon was supposed to be able to sneak up on the evil party. It has been established in previous strips that he's
a) terrible at sneaking
b) slow moving

And the usual tricks to fix these shortcomings (Haste, Invisibility) are all arcane spells that they don't have access to at the moment :confused:

It looked like he was doing passwall and had some sort of vision effect so he could see or something.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Endless Mike posted:

I ordered the Schticky Schticks so I still haven't gotten my Kickstarter package. :(

Are Schticky Schticks even done printing? I had a signed thing, and he sent everything but Schticky Schticks because he couldn't keep all the signed stuff at his house until SS was ready.

peak debt posted:

a) terrible at sneaking
b) slow moving

He walked through a wall (using Passwall, presumably). It's a lot easier to sneak up on someone with a stone wall between you.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

peak debt posted:

a) terrible at sneaking
b) slow moving

He appears to be emerging from the wall, which is probably relatively stealthy.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
He steps out of the wall.

e: well if I am not beaten silly like Nale.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
Passwall is an arcane spell too, and Truesight doesn't work against smoke sticks because it's not a magic effect. And Tarquin has permanent Truesight so the good old "make a fake wall with a Silent Image, disbelief it then hide behind it" doesn't work either.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sefer posted:

Are Schticky Schticks even done printing? I had a signed thing, and he sent everything but Schticky Schticks because he couldn't keep all the signed stuff at his house until SS was ready.
Last time he mentioned them, I think they were just going to the printer, so I imagine they should be ready soon.

I don't even have the game yet!

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I think Durkon actually used Meld into Stone and came out of it when he heard the Linear Guild cursing about the smoke.

Stone Shape is also possible, but the comic makes it look more like Meld into Stone.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

I think Durkon actually used Meld into Stone and came out of it when he heard the Linear Guild cursing about the smoke.

Stone Shape is also possible, but the comic makes it look more like Meld into Stone.

Yeah, it was definitely different to passwall.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Considering he's a dwarf, I'm also banking on it being Meld Into Stone. It's definitely within their level range now.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

NihilCredo posted:

Official word is that it was Meld into Stone.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Yay I'm a competent nerd! :woop:

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost

NihilCredo posted:

Yay I'm a competent nerd! :woop:

Oh wow I don't think I've used or seen that spell in over 10 years of D&D. I'll have to hand in my nerd card :(

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Keep your card, it's a super bad spell.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Yeah, it's one of those incredibly niche spells that can be somewhat useful in very, very rare situations, but it's not really worth expending a spell slot to prepare it unless you specifically know you're going to need it and have a very good plan for how to use it. It can be more interesting if you've got it scribed on a scroll, but even then you might never run into a situation where you actually think this is the most valuable use of your time.

Fortunately, Rich doesn't need to run this as a "what would a player do?" situation, and is free to use whatever makes for a more interesting story.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I got my Kickstarter stuff today.

Guess I'll be reading a lot of comics very shortly!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

New Kickstarter update: Schticky Schticks have just hit the printer. I'm never going to get my package, am I?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

New Kickstarter update: Schticky Schticks have just hit the printer. I'm never going to get my package, am I?

Keep hope alive, I just got my Whole Story package today!

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL
I hope everything is ok.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TampaTango posted:

I hope everything is ok.

Looks good to me!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Endless Mike posted:

Looks good to me!

Stop.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I finished On the Origin of PCs and Start of Darkness.

They're excellent.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Oh come on, it's way better than anything by the guy who actually makes that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Shugojin posted:

Oh come on, it's way better than anything by the guy who actually makes that.

Then he should have his own thread maybe.