Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Rhaka posted:

Honestly, I'd be happy if we'd just end up with something close to fencing rules, only with heavier weapons/protective gear. I really enjoy competing, but it's just such a mess.

Pretty much all the HEMA guys I know (which is a limited selection I grant you) balk at anything that moves it closer to current Olympic fencing. I mean, do you really want to introduce right of way rules and make well over 50% of hits a double?

I watched the Olympic mens sabre finals and was just depressed that only one person there seemed to know how to fight with a sabre, everyone else was playing tag with swords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Zombywuf posted:

playing tag with swords.

That's literally the sport of fencing. Linear tag with swords. That's why it's a sport.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
In fairness, the only other way to play with swords involves death.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Omglosser posted:

^ That's innovation. I like moves like that because they kind of betray the feeling of safety a grappler can get in dominate positions like that. They're expecting you to shrimp or whatever and suddenly they have to defend a choke.

Its good to have guys get wild like that at times, forces you to learn how to really keep top control.

I remember having trouble with super strong guys attacking from under my mount. It worked for a short time but eventually I got used to a lot of that crap and learned how to deal with it. Now, I keep heavy enough pressure that its not even a viable consideration unless you're an ogre.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Xguard86 posted:

Its good to have guys get wild like that at times, forces you to learn how to really keep top control.

I remember having trouble with super strong guys attacking from under my mount. It worked for a short time but eventually I got used to a lot of that crap and learned how to deal with it. Now, I keep heavy enough pressure that its not even a viable consideration unless you're an ogre.

Wait; how do I abuse a strength advantage to attack people while mounted?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
reach up and collar choke them, Or just bench press them off you.

You need to find a guy you outweigh by 50 lbs with very little experience first. That is the key to these technique.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

entris posted:

In fairness, the only other way to play with swords involves death.

There are ways of playing with swords that do not involve death and are not about playing tag. A system that doesn't effectively penalise both players for not lunging wildly at each other to get a double would be a start. The problem they have is that they are subjective, as it requires a referee judging the quality of the hit.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Zombywuf posted:

There are ways of playing with swords that do not involve death and are not about playing tag. A system that doesn't effectively penalise both players for not lunging wildly at each other to get a double would be a start. The problem they have is that they are subjective, as it requires a referee judging the quality of the hit.

I was making joke. Ha ha.

How did the knights used to fight in tourneys back in the olden days? Surely every tournament was not to the death, they must have had a way to compete without murdering each other. How was that done - and why not just replicate that?

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

entris posted:

How did the knights used to fight in tourneys back in the olden days? Surely every tournament was not to the death, they must have had a way to compete without murdering each other. How was that done - and why not just replicate that?

Heavy steel armour :pseudo:

Thanks for the encouragement earlier, guys. BJJ is really daunting to me and I'm having special trouble making the difference between "this move isn't working for me, I better focus on something else" and "this move isn't working for me, but it's high percentage so it's just that I'm not good enough at it". I'd forgotten what being a martial arts beginner felt like. It's a bit overwhelming but also lots of fun.

Cyphoderus fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 31, 2012

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

entris posted:

Federschwerts and a relaxed attitude towards flesh wounds.

Very little is known about their ways of judging contests, most disputes between knights were settled by an army.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Nektu posted:

So, zoo-jitsu or Capoeira?

Edit: who am I kidding? It's probably goat-style kung-fu.

The black goat acknowledges that 90% of fights go to the ground. He tries to pull guard and successfully neutralizes the situation.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

entris posted:

A lot of it did involve death...

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

kimbo305 posted:

The black goat acknowledges that 90% of fights go to the ground. He tries to pull guard and successfully neutralizes the situation.

The third goat knows that the best way to handle an aggressive situation is to not get involved at all, and thus proves to be the true martial arts master.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

I don't think everyone will agree with my philosophy on this point (my instructor has often criticized me for it), but I don't think it's in your best interest to "try" to execute any technique. If you're focusing too much on trying to do something than you're losing sight of everything else. Martial arts is an expression of movement, and the only way to truly be in the moment is to 'flow with the go' wherever it may take you. Stop thinking about where you're at and what you've been taught to do there or how you were taught to do it. Stop wondering if you can execute a certain technique that you've been recently shown, and trying only to land that one technique.

Where are you going? Where do you want to go? What is your opponent doing? How can you control him?

It's better to slowly tie the noose around his neck than it is to attempt a lasso from too far away.

Calm down, relax and let it flow. You're going to lose often, but learn from your mistakes and come back better next time. Good luck.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

kimbo305 posted:

Dude, baazilian jiu jitsu doesn't work.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Kumo Jr. posted:

It's weird, but one of the best grapplers at my gym has a similar technique. He says that he discovered it by accident, with everyone telling him it was useless, but he's managed to transform it into an extremely effective technique. It's like an ezekiel but he really uses the blade of his elbow to paper-cutter choke into the side of the opponents neck. He does it by S-gripping his hands around the neck and crown of the head. He likes to throw it on when you're in his side control (he's on the bottom), because at the very least you have to react to it and that gives him an opportunity to create space.

Like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDewhiSRilI&t=98s

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Dude, baazilian jiu jitsu doesn't work.

Got to go train krav maga instead.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Kumo Jr. posted:

I don't think everyone will agree with my philosophy on this point (my instructor has often criticized me for it), but I don't think it's in your best interest to "try" to execute any technique. If you're focusing too much on trying to do something than you're losing sight of everything else. Martial arts is an expression of movement, and the only way to truly be in the moment is to 'flow with the go' wherever it may take you. Stop thinking about where you're at and what you've been taught to do there or how you were taught to do it. Stop wondering if you can execute a certain technique that you've been recently shown, and trying only to land that one technique.

Where are you going? Where do you want to go? What is your opponent doing? How can you control him?

It's better to slowly tie the noose around his neck than it is to attempt a lasso from too far away.

Calm down, relax and let it flow. You're going to lose often, but learn from your mistakes and come back better next time. Good luck.

Get high. Rule the World.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Sort of, but he uses an s-grip not a gable-grip. And he does it from the bottom.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

KingColliwog posted:

Congrats :) green was my favorite promote because yellow and orange look noob!

Thanks. I agree, its the first belt where you sorta look like you know what you're doing.
After the grading and I got my cert the instructor pulled me and the two other seniors over to the side and gave us a little feedback and he said my throwing is really coming along and that I remember way more of the groundwork than he anticipated considering we barely train it. Taking out the 5 months that I've had off since I started due to injuries and other stuff going on in my life, I've only been training twice a week for about a year and two months so in my opinion its a little early for the green but I should really stop the complaining and believe them when they say I'm actually getting better.

e: Ohhh and it turns out theres a BJJ place near me with no contracts and 120 a month for unlimited classes a week. That seems cheap for a Gracie trained BJJ instructor. When I go on gracieuniversity he's about five from the top, R Cooley, and his rank is unverified. That's a bad sign right? Does that mean he could have just completed some online course?

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 1, 2012

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

After a little digging, it looks like he's a Taekwondo coach who's taken a video course in BJJ. I would expect him to be awful. He's also a Reiki master, so he believes in magic, too.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

After a little digging, it looks like he's a Taekwondo coach who's taken a video course in BJJ. I would expect him to be awful. He's also a Reiki master, so he believes in magic, too.

Novum posted:

Stick around for the humorous stories that will result.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rhaka posted:

HEMA is filled with big egos, that's a large part of where the balking against a governing body comes from--there's a few organisations that attempt something (HEMAC being the european one, several national ones) but so far no attempts have been made at "formalising" the sport, so to say.

Basically every event/tournament I've attended uses a different ruleset. Some use an afterblow, some don't. Some count doubles, some dq the fighters. Some fight to a set amount of points, some to a point advantage, etc. Makes reffing interesting. It'd be nice if things were a bit less schizofrenic.
Formalizing would be a worthwhile discussion, and I'm willing to wager that that's what this "HEMAC" is aiming to do, along with that SvHEMAF, too. And these ruleset questions are a big reason why.

If you're going to run tournaments, you have to expect that the competitors want to win to win said tournaments. I'm not saying they'll be cheating, but they will be people bending and pushing the rules. If the overarching goal is to support correct actions and proper fighting, ironing out what rules do and don't improve tournament play is a very good thing to have.

quote:

The main styles of specific weapons seem to be decently understood these days--Liechtenauer fences like THIS, Meyer like THIS, etc, although upsets and new insights still happen fairly regularly. Mostly fighting has been boiling down to a bunch of global principles and techniques, with styles adding their own unique flavour.

Some groups are heavily into sticking to their style as closely as possible, some are more tournament oriented. A lot of groups originated as reenactment/SCA type groups, so yeah. I don't think a single style will ever really arise for specific weapons, though at least there's been a move the past few years to standardising equipment at tournaments--fencing jacket/mask, heavy lacrosse/hema specific gloves, gorget, knight shop nylon wasters/(Regenyei?) steel federschwerts.
For something like this, having constantly upgraded equipment is very beneficial, especially over just assuming that your current kit is "enough." There have been a couple of equipment upgrades required in fencing due to serious injury or death. In fact, the FIE started reviewing new glove designs specifically because of sabreurs and sabreuses being stabbed through the palm with unbroken blades.

quote:

Honestly, I'd be happy if we'd just end up with something close to fencing rules, only with heavier weapons/protective gear. I really enjoy competing, but it's just such a mess.
It's really going to come down to a very serious look at what HEMA practitioners or a subset there of what the tournament scene to look like.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

did he grab your balls? I had a dude, no joke, tell me he could escape mount by grabbing my nuts. I told him he could if he wanted but if he did that I would elbow him in his face. He did not use that escape that day.

He would come to the college rec, talk poo poo about the local bjj school then only train with dudes who were fresh to grappling. He never bothered me again after our "ball attack chat".

Before I left, he tried to escape an armbar by attacking pressure points on a guy's feet. It made the dude jump, like if you get shocked, but he still had the arm and ended up hyper extending the elbow. So, the idiot almost broke his own arm doing ninja moves.

Exactly what happened to me. A TKD Black Belt instructor was showing us the new things to learn for the next belt and was like:"OK This is my favorite; the ARM BAR." he then proceeds to do the 'armbar' over the shoulder when your back is turned (everyone should know what I mean.) He then goes to the ground and tries to show the armbar again, but it is so lovely that I roll out of it and take mount. He panics and grabs my nuts. At this point in time I am 140lbs soaking wet and had done a month of BJJ. I had to quit that TKD school because I also did BJJ and you could have one MASTER.

Bohemian Nights posted:

Hey, tickling is a legitimate attack. I've sunk in TWO rear naked chokes by tickling someone's ribs until defending their neck didn't seem quite so important anymore.

Tickling works like a charm but never wet willie someone when you're in a bad position. It will only escalate the violence :(

Kumo Jr. posted:

He might end up being very talented, but having no time for beginners or bullshit. It's not everyone's ideal style of coach, but I think it'd be more pertinent to judge him on his abilities than the initial impression of his persona.

I have met a lot of trainers like that; they realize that if you want to be good at this poo poo, you gotta be somewhat tough. He's likely seen people stick around for 1-2 weeks for years now, and has realized that in these sports, people come and go quick.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Can somebody explain why I see Olympic judo competitors doing absolutely insane poo poo on the ground like trying to go for triangles from the back or trying to roll someone out of turtle position for an armbar when there's a whole universe of chokes available to them? It seems like there's some sort of common understanding between the competitors that nobody will ever attack with a RNC or collar choke from the back because I haven't seen anybody who has their back taken move to defend their neck at all.

What insane rules have created this?

Edit: I just saw someone get 99% of the way to a kimura and then get up and walk away. What the hell am I watching :psyduck:

Smegmatron fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Aug 1, 2012

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
5 seconds on the mat, unless they are on their back and pinned. It's really weird. The Travis Stevens matches were better for ground game, but it seems Olympic judo is not really about it.

Antinumeric fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Aug 1, 2012

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Smegmatron posted:

Can somebody explain why I see Olympic judo competitors doing absolutely insane poo poo on the ground like trying to go for triangles from the back or trying to roll someone out of turtle position for an armbar when there's a whole universe of chokes available to them? It seems like there's some sort of common understanding between the competitors that nobody will ever attack with a RNC or collar choke from the back because I haven't seen anybody who has their back taken move to defend their neck at all.

Edit: I just saw someone get 99% of the way to a kimura and then get up and walk away. What the hell am I watching :psyduck:

Judo ground game has to be explosive because if the judges think nothing is happening (you don't get your choke/armbar in 5 seconds or so) you get stood up. You just won't have time to get a rear naked choke with a gi in a competition setting if the guy protect his neck.

In training/smaller competitions it's different.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Antinumeric posted:

5 seconds on the mat, unless they are on their back and pinned. It's really weird. The Travis Stevens matches were better for ground game, but it seems Olympic judo is not really about it.

So what, holding kesa gatame means you get the benefit of the doubt that you can make something happen, but back control doesn't?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

McNerd posted:

So what, holding kesa gatame means you get the benefit of the doubt that you can make something happen, but back control doesn't?

Kesa getame is a pin. You can win by holding a pin for 25 seconds. Back control is an advantage if you can do something with it (in 5 seconds or so)

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 1, 2012

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

it doesn't make sense, just enjoy the standup and ignore everything that happens when they hit the mat. This is actually how (sport) Judo works anyway.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Smegmatron posted:

Sport Judo is about the throw and capitalizing on the throw. The rules are designed to support that.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I feel like people are getting so caught up in the 'combat' part of the combat sports. The rules are what makes it a sport, and Judo in particular is very clear about what the rules are. Sure there are a lot of them, but these people aren't trying to necessarily submit each other or knock each other out or something. They are scoring points, and there are certain ways to do that, wasting your 5 second ground game window struggling to sink an RNC on a guy who has both his arms protecting his neck is not a smart way to play the game.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I have often observed that by training you tend to meet interesting people - people you might otherwise not ever sit down and talk with otherwise (as probably with any other hobby with such a diverse clientele).

This time I met a football hooligan. He is a friendly, soft spoken and unassuming fellow from a country East of here, with a long history of combat sambo and at the club I go to a good boxer of technical and intelligent approach, popular as a sparring partner. I am aware that, say, British hooligans are often middle-class workers of the white collar sort (this guy has a respectable job as a heavy vehicle operator) but still held the prejudice I would find such a person unpleasant and coarse.

How untrue! He is anything but coarse, instead being well spoken and pleasant. These days, he often travels East (or West) to "watch soccer". What it actually means is that he participates in organized fights between the fans of two clubs. They wrap their wrists, have mouthguards (as witnessed in many a Youtube video) and then engage in full contact, anything goes fights. According to him the best part is that when you are just sparring you can't punch someone as hard as you can, but when you fight with other hooligans you can go for it hard as you can, and he finds that fascinating and exciting. I think his energies could be channeled in a more productive way (why not pick up full contact fighting again and compete in that?) but of course the chaos, and the fact you operate outside of norms even outside of full contact fighting and even the law must bring an additional aspect of excitement. I find it impossible NOT to like the guy. And there's the fact nobody partakes in these events unwillingly: everyone knows what is going to happen and freely choose to meet and fight each other, knowing the risks. (Also AFAIK when someone is down and out, the insensible street fighting aspect where several people kick one in the head does not take place, but the person who is overmatched is left alone to recover and possibly rejoin the fight - if his heart is still in it and he chooses to do so. Then everyone hugs.)

Yeah the world is an interesting place...

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank
I read about people using salt baths to heal with sore muscles and reduce reocovery time. Have any of you guys tried this?

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kali11324 posted:

I read about people using salt baths to heal with sore muscles and reduce reocovery time. Have any of you guys tried this?

It really doesn't work. Salt in water is not enough to osmotically pull toxins and poo poo from your muscles.

Ice baths, on the other hand, are brutal and effective.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Antinumeric posted:

5 seconds on the mat, unless they are on their back and pinned.

It's not 5 seconds on the mat, it's 5 seconds of stalemate. If there is constant progression towards a submission/pin matwork can continue indefinitely. There are lots of instances in the games where matwork has gone on for an extended period of time.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Thoguh posted:

It's not 5 seconds on the mat, it's 5 seconds of stalemate. If there is constant progression towards a submission/pin matwork can continue indefinitely. There are lots of instances in the games where matwork has gone on for an extended period of time.

I haven't seen any judo highlights from these olympics yet, but I've heard through facebook friends that there's a guy from France that's slaying everyone with submissions within the time limits.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Fontoyn posted:

Ice baths, on the other hand, are brutal and effective.

So it seems, but goddamn is it terrible...

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
I just gotta brag about myself a little, but bare with me. I'm not being arrogant; I still blow. I'm just happy.

I'm a fat out of shape slob and I started BJJ about two and a half months ago. It was tough as poo poo and it still is. Every time I'd roll, I'd literally get destroyed within seconds. Arm bars, triangles, you name it.

As of late, I've really noticed an improvement. No, I'm not dominating anyone, or really even "winning" any time I roll. I am, however, not making stupid decisions as much, and I am not tapping as quickly at all. Sometimes I'll go a whole round with out tapping and just doing a solid job of defending myself. Today I even got a sweep on a 2 stripe blue belt. He had to stop mid-roll just to stress the fact that he didn't let me do it and that I felt it and acted on my instincts and it worked! Really awesome.

Anyway, I know I have a super long road ahead of me but seeing progress makes me want to hustle even harder and get better! I love this poo poo. It's turning my life around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

If you don't think chokes a very real part of competitive Judo, you haven't participated in a lot of Judo competitions. Just because they don't happen a whole lot of the time doesn't mean they aren't thinking about it or aren't aware of it.

I am NOT trying to say Olympic Judo has a ground game as complex as BJJ or MMA. But it's there, and they are aware of it. It just doesn't happen a whole lot.

• Locked thread