Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Creative Bicycle
Apr 19, 2001

I have a hole!
I'm also still playing fairly regularly because I'm doing crazy, odd poo poo with alts right now in hopes of god knows what. Looking to gather some dudes to do the time cycle sometime soon though, because hey why not. I don't even fully understand why I find this game enjoyable, but I do and I plan to keep playing (afk or otherwise) for at least a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Creative Bicycle posted:

Looking to gather some dudes to do the time cycle sometime soon though, because hey why not.

Had a great time clearing Sleeper's the other night, and I never got to do the full Time cycle in the old days, so you can count Kaverin/Nylander/Sypherr in, but I would prefer to schedule a specific time. He needs a new shield and 3 pieces of armour to really be up to code, but Kaverin is more than able now to tank just about anything that Time throws at us as a member of a small raid force - at his level the AoE taunt spells are very effective for lasooing crowds of mobs.

I haven't been able to play as much myself lately due to RL concerns and having a million other things that I want to do in my leisure time - even when I am online recently it means that I am just sitting in the guild hall 95% of the time. I'm in the awkward position of being bored of AA grinding, not terribly keen to level my trio of 80's, and not being arsed enough to level from scratch the wizard/enchanter/shaman/ranger that I've wanted to try since I started playing again.

I'm still keen, though, to do specific things like the Time cycle or clear VP all the way, and if anyone wants help with epics or what have you, I can make it a point to be available at specific times. Druid ports and bard speed are awfully handy for going all around the world to finish your 2.0.

Creative Bicycle
Apr 19, 2001

I have a hole!
To whoever plays Pyotr: this is a longshot but you're not online right now and Dagarn is actually up with no one in the zone. Probably not going to read this but in the off chance that you do I can get you to him pretty quickly if the bow drops when you log on.

Or for that matter, anyone with a ranger or who wants to make and play one ...

Creative Bicycle fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 22, 2012

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Creative Bicycle posted:

I'm also still playing fairly regularly because I'm doing crazy, odd poo poo with alts right now in hopes of god knows what. Looking to gather some dudes to do the time cycle sometime soon though, because hey why not. I don't even fully understand why I find this game enjoyable, but I do and I plan to keep playing (afk or otherwise) for at least a while.

There was a guild on Prexus that did an open Time raid for years, every Friday night. Even after TSS+ this pug raid kept on trucking faithfully because it was just so much fun.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Creative Bicycle posted:

To whoever plays Pyotr: this is a longshot but you're not online right now and Dagarn is actually up with no one in the zone. Probably not going to read this but in the off chance that you do I can get you to him pretty quickly if the bow drops when you log on.

Or for that matter, anyone with a ranger or who wants to make and play one ...

Uh, what server? If this is zek this is a friend of mine, I'll let him know.

On that note, are there currently free xfers or something? I have some friends who are interested in transferring to Zek because they are tired of being little sad babies, but we weren't sure.

edit: appears there might be free xfers to Zek. Going to try to figure out how - if anyone knows, please let me know (i imagine it's all manual and you have to petition or something?)

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 24, 2012

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

/servertr

Free transfers to Zek and FV, free transfers off Trakanon. Because all those servers suck.

Once you go to Somalia (FV), you can never leave. But you can pay for a transfer off Zek.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Creative Bicycle posted:

I'd be down to do Time, VP, and whatever else. I'm currently just leveling my rogue and bard (almost 70), but once I get to 70 I'd like to take some time to get epic 1.5's and destroy some of the old raiding zones.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
So, um, anyone out there? I'm trying to get some AA in the Hole as a 55 Monk and I'm getting owned with a Warrior merc. Should I switch to a healer? Get some levels and come back later?

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Anyone on Bristlebane or whatever server trib/ann ro became?

cycomatix
Apr 23, 2008
Fun Shoe

jetz0r posted:

/servertr

Free transfers to Zek and FV, free transfers off Trakanon. Because all those servers suck.

Once you go to Somalia (FV), you can never leave. But you can pay for a transfer off Zek.

This is a thing a friend and I are thinking about doing. If you own your own village/guildhall, does that stuff transfer over? Do I need to pack up all the housing stuff before I move and just deal without the guild village?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

cycomatix posted:

This is a thing a friend and I are thinking about doing. If you own your own village/guildhall, does that stuff transfer over? Do I need to pack up all the housing stuff before I move and just deal without the guild village?

Not sure, how hard would it be to test? Also, if anyone xfers to Zek please let me know, I am perpetually interested in more zek buddies to group with and kill jerks

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Shrapnac posted:

If you come back I'll come back baby. My job has been beating the poo poo out of me for three months.

I logged in, saw none of my gear was usable, my AA was locked because I have too many, and I can't pay for account subs by buying SC with plat anymore, so I just logged back off and played more LoL. I'm really pissed they won't let me use SC for subs anymore and doubt I come back ever unless they change it :mad:.

HA HA Collage
Oct 2, 2009

The Most Celebrated New Poster Since Attila
Is anybody on Bertoxx? My friends bailed and it feels like a single player game now.

Smoking Gun
Mar 7, 2003
Image leeching is BAD
It may have been asked somewhere in this monster thread, but is there a good guide for setting up multi boxing? Preferably using free software? I'd spring for Isboxer, but it's not in my budget.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'm interested in that as well. Thinking about making a box army on Test.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
If I could box 20 mages at once on zek i would do it in a heartbeat

PlayStationGayStation
Jan 23, 2004

^________^
I've started messing around with WinEQ, which is free except for certain features.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Smoking Gun posted:

It may have been asked somewhere in this monster thread, but is there a good guide for setting up multi boxing? Preferably using free software? I'd spring for Isboxer, but it's not in my budget.

Boxing in EQ is fairly straightforward once you get used to it and doesn't require much software. The free version of WinEQ is great for managing framerates and cpu.

Isboxer would be a waste of money unless you were gonna run an army.

Smoking Gun
Mar 7, 2003
Image leeching is BAD

No More Heroes posted:

Boxing in EQ is fairly straightforward once you get used to it and doesn't require much software. The free version of WinEQ is great for managing framerates and cpu.

Isboxer would be a waste of money unless you were gonna run an army.

Is there anything special to set up boxing in game?

I'm playing F2P, but have a silver account with bard unlocked. I have a 21 Mage that I made when I was a gold member for a month, as well.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So I've started a SK/Shaman/Bard 3box on Test. Currently all level 30. Can anyone point me toward a good Shadowknight forum that explains the class well? I've never even played a Tank, nevermind a SK. Shaman should be pretty straightforward, and I don't think Bard could be that hard to play, especially with /melody. (What level can bards use /melody anyway?). I feel like there is a lot of info that I need to know to play SK efficiently.

Also, I have a Monk and Mage that I could swap the bard out for? Any thoughts on that? Either one would add a lot of DPS, but I don't know if it's worth losing the bard's utility.

Edit: Also is there anywhere that explains how to set up macro's for multiboxing? I have no idea how to do that.

Editx2: I guess EQplayers.com doesn't really exist anymore. Is there any way to search toons by name to see what level they are, without actually logging on?

RCarr fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 30, 2012

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Maybe consider swapping the shaman or bard out instead. My friend did a combo like that and the biggest problems were DPS and crowd control at times. Shaman became redundant kind of fast as slows became mitigated and healer mercs picked up the slack. He started as SK/Bard/Shaman and ended up with Paladin/Chanter/Ranger. Some of this was because I was playing a Monk, so that contributed to his decisions (He went paladin rather than SK because of it, otherwise SK would have definitely been the way to go for pulling and such). We pretty much breezed through all of VOA group progression except a few rare nameds in T3/4 (Most of which we had no problem with).

It's largely personal preference, and depends on what you plan to do (our goal was progression for all SoD/SoF/UF/HoT/VoA content in the group lines: Mercenary, Partisan, and Hero Achievements basically. We didn't give a poo poo about raids, if that's your thing), but some things to consider:

-If you have an SK as your main, bard's pulling utility becomes pretty redundant. If SK is your only real melee class, overhaste becomes much less important, these two things are really going to be the bards biggest contributions

-Enchanter has *much* better haste than the shaman (adds triple attack %, crit %, and crit damage %), Shaman has some nice AE slows and Adps, but it doesn't really benefit the SK as much as mez ability, I feel. As is, SK gives a lot of control over pulls. Chanter kind of gives total control even if things go bad somehow (or when you can't single pull, like when progressing through Hot's Cazic thule where mobs come 6 at a time)

-Shaman will bring manual healing ability, dots if you feel like it, and some great buffs. Ultimately though, we felt like healing wasn't really a big thing (even a lot of VoA nameds came down to "ok, put the healer merc on reactive", and autoattack for 4 minutes while healers do their thing), slow became less important and other classes could do it, and the dots felt kind of mediocre in comparison to a dedicated dps class. Good jack of all trades but my 95 it just felt like it lost its place for us.

If I were doing a 3-box and doing HoT/VoA group stuff all over again?

I would have a shaman bot to buff the main tank once an hour, then for the main team I would use SK/Wiz/Chanter with 1-2 healer mercs depending on situation and 1-2 rogue or wizard mercs.

I loved monk for playing as a main but found it irritating for 2-boxing and intolerable for three boxing. Shaman I felt became redundant fast. Bard, SK, wiz, chanter, ranger (borderline here and not terribly efficient) were all easy and effective to multibox. Mage/Wiz/bard was another combo a guildy used that seemed comedy effective in VoA

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 30, 2012

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Thanks for the info. It definitely got me thinking. The only thing I didn't see mentioned regarding the shaman was the (Panther?) line of buffs that cause proc damage. I was under the assumption that this was a huge dps boost, and was one of the main reasons to box a Shaman. Am I over-valuing this aspect?

I already have a 85 chanter, so I can add him into the mix whenever my crew reaches that level. I believe he's on the same account as the bard I'm leveling, so I'll be able to swap them out according to the situation. I guess I'll stick with the shaman for now. At the very least, I'll have him as a buff bot.

Here is my crew right now:

Account 1- 85 Monk
Account 2- 85 Enchanter, 75 Mage, 30 Bard (NEW)
Account 3- 30 Shadow Knight (NEW)
Account 4- 30 Shaman (NEW)

I don't want to play more than 3 toons at once, so maybe I'll PL a Wizard on the first account, or a perhaps another mage as I will probably always be playing either the Chanter, or Bard on account #2.

This is getting confusing now! Any other thoughts or input is welcome!

RCarr fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 30, 2012

cycomatix
Apr 23, 2008
Fun Shoe

RCarr posted:

So I've started a SK/Shaman/Bard 3box on Test. Currently all level 30. Can anyone point me toward a good Shadowknight forum that explains the class well? I've never even played a Tank, nevermind a SK. Shaman should be pretty straightforward, and I don't think Bard could be that hard to play, especially with /melody. (What level can bards use /melody anyway?). I feel like there is a lot of info that I need to know to play SK efficiently.

This is the shadow knight forums http://www.evilgamer.net/forums/. It has so much incredibly helpful information on it that every player should visit it really.

Playing an SK or any tank in general is really tough once you hit the 80s range, so make sure you stay on top of your AAs as much as possible and keep your gear augged out with the highest AC augs you can get. The gear dependency on tanks versus everything else is astronomical, and you can easily hit some nasty road blocks with your sk if you don't stay on top of that stuff.

Consider getting a second merc slot for one account with a tank merc on it as well, in case your SK is under performing on the names while you gear them up. Once you finally get an SK rolling, they're one of the best classes to play, but its a lot of work.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Perfect! That's exactly what I needed. I'm aware of the gear/AA dependency for SK's. I've never played one and am tired of seeing how badass they are. It's time to experience this for myself. I'll have a full group with my 3box+mercs, so I shouldn't have a hard time camping augs.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

yeah, the panther buff and epic click is what I meant by adps, and it is pretty nice. We actually gave my shaman the /surname pumabot because thats about all he was doing. On a nice note though, later versions of puma can be MBG'd from outside the group, so if your shaman gets relegated to bot status like mine, he can still throw out awesome buffs and Lion as needed. Basically it's more awesome the more melee are in your group. The more melee are in the party, the more benefit you get out of both the bard and the shaman from procs/overhaste. In our case the shaman felt easy to ditch, but if we had 4 or so classes meleeing it would have been a lot more impressive.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Well if I went with SK/Sham/Bard, with 2 dps mercs (or 3 if the Shaman can handle heals), that's 4 out of 6 (or 5 of 6) group members meleeing. That seems worth it no? Or are the caster dps mercs better?

RCarr fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 30, 2012

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Yeah that would be pretty solid. I think you could do pretty much anything you wanted for group stuff with that combo, it's just personal preference and how you want to set things up. (I would set the bard up as puller in that case so you could start throwing all your exp into tank AA for the SK right away) Just keep in mind you'll most likely be using a tank and healer merc for awhile. I felt like our tank merc was outperforming the actual tank until like ~2k AA and VoA tier 4 gear. Then again, we jumped right from HOT gear to VOA4, because FV is scrubby like that.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 30, 2012

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

A max level J5 merc WILL be better than a real tank till somewhere around 2-3k AA, tier 3ish group armor and a decent aug set.

Once you start getting past that, a real SK will be blowing the merc away. Mercs can't swarm, burn, PL or do anything cool. You don't really need many AAs to get the pulling stuff on an SK, just Hate's Attraction as a pulling only tool. The other pieces you want anyways. Death Embrace is the fade FD, Cloak of Shadows is instant invis, and quickened up Darkness is your main AA hate spell.

SK/Bard/SHM/rog/(clr|rog)/(tank|rog) sounds fine. You get to focus the bard on melee songs and are just missing a bst from being a melee burn group. On easier content, the SK+SHM will be fine for low attention healing, but for VoA named you'd want a clr merc in group.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Cool, I'm gonna stick with my current group then. I'm not even sure if I'll make it to the newest expansions. Hopefully I will, but I tend to get burnt out on EQ somewhere around 1k AA's. Is anyone else playing on Test?

zancii
Sep 16, 2011
I moved over to playing on Test a couple of months ago. Spyder converted me, and that with the no longer being able to buy subs with SC has pretty much cemented it. My play time has been pretty sporadic as of late thanks to work, but I still try to log on at least one night each week.

I'm currently running an sk, bard/enchanter, cleric, and wizard/ranger box group on Test and grouping with Spyder whenever she's on. If I'm on, I'll gladly help PL you a bit. You can look for me as Ilmare. :)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Nice, I remember Spyder. I'm on weeknights and sporadically during the weekend. Send a tell to Cheney!

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks
I play (very) sporadically as Lumius , Eriksson or tanbkek on test. Not super high level or anything but yeah the free gold lured me there.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Apparantly you can now /testcopy with plat too and any tradable items are still tradable on test. So you can copy over, hand off all your plat to an alt, then repeat until you have 100 billion plat or whatever. It's also very easy to get fun gear like AoN's, etc.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Where should I be grinding at level 40? I'm in Goru'kar Mesa and the wolves/bears are too easy now, and the griffons/giants/harpies are a little too hard, especially if I get mobbed. Everything is still red in Blackfeather Roost. Any ideas? City of Mist? Moors?

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

RCarr posted:

Where should I be grinding at level 40? I'm in Goru'kar Mesa and the wolves/bears are too easy now, and the griffons/giants/harpies are a little too hard, especially if I get mobbed. Everything is still red in Blackfeather Roost. Any ideas? City of Mist? Moors?

I like the SW area of Overthere around that little pond/lake. Sarnak, rhinos, cockatrices all die fast and those levels will go by very quickly.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

RCarr posted:

I've done 40-60 in Crypt of Nadox on many characters. Easy camps and usually not a lot of people there.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Thanks for the info fellas. I'll check out OT and Nadox.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
Hey folks, just realizing that EQ still exists as a 30 year old man and wanting to wallow in adolescence. My main character was a monk back in the summer (when me and my brother would play shifts and switch off) when Staind was huge and the Beastie Boys' "Hello Nasty" just came out. Is there a way to log in and just fly around everything that was so loving mysterious back then? I remember Splitpaw, Guk (god I wanted netted armor), that house with all the undead, that blue-rear end crafted armor, trying to start an enchanter so I could make black pearl platinum stuff...

Someone give me the keys to the 1998 guided tour. This was when that poo poo was mysterious, preple hid solutions to things. poo poo, I grew up on MUD's. I never got into it enough to have a guild and grow, so EQ1 is still the great mystery to me

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

King Bahamut posted:

Someone give me the keys to the 1998 guided tour. This was when that poo poo was mysterious, preple hid solutions to things. poo poo, I grew up on MUD's. I never got into it enough to have a guild and grow, so EQ1 is still the great mystery to me

What exactly do you mean, a nostalgia trip that is EQ at its release only, or a retrospective starting from there and explaining all the changes?

At release, the game was extremely unpolished but no one gave a poo poo because it was still fantastic. The game literally dumped you into the world with no help, no instructions, no guide, and no clear path at what to do. You were expected to figure things out with the assistance of the manual, your friends who were trying to hook you on the game, or trying random things.

At some point, everyone finally made their way to the 'front yard' of their home city and began killing stuff. You quickly learned the consider system and that if something was yellow or red, don't even dare hit 'a' near it. People started learning that some mobs were aggressive by default, and wouldn't wait for you to start beating on them.

At first, everyone looked at the armor available in the shops and said 'That's what I've got to save for, lets start killing things!" Back when a Steel Breastplate was a thousand platinum, and you realized just how long it would take you to get it.

Usually the next step (I'm ignoring people that quit) is for people to venture to the first 'dungeon' area. Crushbone, Blackburrow, Befallen, and even a few people to Kerra Ridge. Here its where 90% of people realize 'oh poo poo, I can't play this game on my own' and you start to converse with other people other than random bullshit. You learn that your class is good at doing one thing, but that thing can't be done on its own usually. I'm not counting druids and necros in this, as they figured out pretty fast they didn't need anyone's help at all, but for the rest of us, it was in this first dungeon that you made your first acquaintances, and possibly even friends.

Through them, you learned about other dungeons. Najena. Splitpaw. Permafrost. Solusek's Eye. You began to travel the world in awe, and realize just how god drat huge it is...and unfortunately, how empty most of it is. You might stumble across bandits in the karanas, work your way through the steamfont caves and kill Meldrath for giggles, or find yourself wandering into Beholder's Maze and getting rolled by the minotaurs. Or rolling them with your friends and getting a kickass axe.

Sometime around here, you'll probably have happened by the commonlands and see people /ooc and /auction stuff. This is the realization that getting new gear isn't just about getting the AC number to go up, oh no. Now you can get stuff that makes your stats better, which in turn makes YOU better. You ask around where stuff is, and people usually told you at least the zone, for now.

That's when you do your first rare camp. Usually Polished Granite Tomahawk, or the slaves/named for the Screaming Mace. You hear about banded armor, and pay a guy who is a couple levels higher than you for a full suit of chain. You start reading on the internet about interesting items out there, and starting thinking about where you want to camp for next.

Then you hit level 20, and you get a surname! You're now badass, you can go deep into Sol A with your buddies, hit the castle in Mistmoore, and sit your rear end on Drelzna or Najena for boots, daggers, robes, and books. You keep progressing, and you hear of dungeons that have loot beyond belief. Cazic Thule. Lower Guk. Solusek B.

You hit 30, and you suffer from the first hell level, where a mathematical formula mistake makes the level take ten times as long as the one before it. This process will repeat at 35, 40, and 45, and you'll swear that 45 is a nightmare beyond belief. But you keep pushing, and keep camping stuff, and before long, you have things. Things that make you better at whatever it is you do.

Then you start thinking about those two dragons all the high level people are talking about. Vox and Nagafen. The top people laugh at your attempts to join them, because this isn't a mob that respawns every 29 minutes. They only appear every few days, and you're sure as poo poo not going to kill them with a single group. At their advice, you start looking for Fire and Frost resist stuff. You get a kit up, and an open raid starts for Nagafen. You go in, and you get rolled. Accusations fly, people leave in disgust, the remainder refocus, rebuff, and charge again. You kill that poo poo with twenty or thirty other people, and its glorious.

Then you lose the roll on the Cloak of Flames and the 100% weight reduction bag, and the drama begins.

Note that all of this is isn't even counting the bugs, glitches, rumors, and broken quests that drove people bonkers, particularly the Soulfire and Fiery Avenger quests. Brad McQuaid was a magnificent bastard for showing up in full green plate armor with that sword, and not saying a god drat thing about how anyone would ever get it.

I understand that new games have the need for tutorials and introductions to ease people into slightly more complex games, but literally being shoved into a world and told 'figure it out' is one of the things that made me love playing Everquest for five years, the first game I ever played for that length of time. Being a part of the 'top guild' on a server only continued that feeling as you worked out how to beat a raid boss that no one else on your server had done, and no information other than 'gently caress it, charge in like idiots and lets figure it out' as a plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
You then find out years later that your stats going up never made you better at all